Equality news round-up: Lambda Legal scores a victory, GLAD publishes guide to Social Security benefits and DOMA
August 2, 2012
By Scottie Thomaston
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) published a helpful guide (pdf) to understanding Social Security benefits and DOMA.
- A new poll on Maryland’s marriage equality initiative shows a smaller lead for supporters of marriage equality than recent polling by other organization has suggested.
- Jurist has an article on DOMA and federalism concerns post-National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius.
- Damon Root from Reason (a libertarian blog/magazine) suggests that Justice Kennedy would vote to strike down Prop 8.
- There’s a Chick-fil-A kiss-in protest planned for tomorrow.
- Iowa’s Republican Party chairman is calling for the ouster of a state supreme court judge who was one of those who voted that a ban on marriage equality in the state is unconstitutional.
- Amtrak is releasing a gay-friendly ad campaign.
- Lambda Legal scored another victory: a lesbian tenant will be allowed to add her wife to her lease.
- The White House was asked whether the president would support a national fight for marriage equality once it’s in the Democratic party platform.