Equality news round-up: Prop 8 campaigner Frank Schubert is still doing anti-gay campaigns, and more
July 20, 2012
By Scottie Thomaston
- During the Prop 8 trial, the Olson/Boies team constantly referred to “the 14 Supreme Court cases” in which marriage was described as a fundamental right. AFER has a full list of the cases here.
- The Pentagon will allow troops to march in uniform for the first time in the San Diego gay pride parade.
- Anti-gay activist Frank Schubert (of Prop 8 fame) is involved in more anti-gay marriage campaigns this year.
- The Obama administration has proposed a rule change that “would amend the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) regulations and allow federal employees to cover the children of their same-sex domestic partners under the program”
- Another anti-gay marriage amendment to the 2013 defense appropriations bill was introduced – it would ban gay servicemembers from marrying in a military facility and prevent chaplains from officiating.
- The HHS is giving enough money to federal programs to eliminate state waiting lists for HIV/AIDS health care.