July 6, 2012
By Scottie Thomaston
- For law-geeks, I came across this in the Stanford Law Review yesterday: BEYOND DOMA: CHOICE OF STATE LAW IN FEDERAL STATUTES
- ABC News profiles Chad Griffin, formerly of AFER (fighting Prop 8 in court); he is now heading up the Human Rights Campaign.
- The Advocate has endorsed a presidential candidate for the first time in decades. They have announced their support of President Obama.
- Yesterday a gay couple in Dallas was arrested in a protest after trying to obtain a marriage license.
- SCOTUSBlog discusses Baker v. Nelson, the 1972 case that continues to be held up as a defense of DOMA.
- Newsday suggests that defending DOMA is folly.
- An attempt to overturn New York’s marriage equality law has failed in state appeals court. The court ruled that the open meetings law in the state was not violated.