May 25, 2012
By Scottie Thomaston
- This week, Dan Savage invited the National Organization for Marriage’s Brian Brown to his home to have a dinner discussion/debate on marriage equality. Now Jennifer Chrisler, executive director of the Family Equality Council has invited Tony Perkins to her home for dinner, after he stated in a televised interview that he has never been to the home of a same-sex couple who is married.
- A new coalition of social justice organizations and clergy have launched an effort to show that NOM’s attempt to “drive a wedge” between black and gay people hasn’t worked.
- The Maine Education Association has endorsed marriage equality.
- Chile will start paying for surgery for people who are transgender.
- Protests will be ongoing against the North Carolina pastor who said gay people should be locked behind an electric fence and left to die.
- Here is a run-down of major gay rights cases currently working their way through the courts.
- One News Now, the “news” arm of the hate group American Family Association, continues to promote NOM’s race baiting strategy.
- A Senate committee in Brazil has finally passed same-sex unions.