May 21, 2012
By Scottie Thomaston
- Signorile on Dharun Ravi’s sentencing.
- NAACP President Ben Jealous on the decision to support marriage equality:
“I’ve spoken to many clergy who feel differently, different sides, different theologies, different doctrines. All are very clear that if this is a difference, it is a difference, not a division. If this is a contrast, it is a contrast, not a conflict.”
“To a one, they understand that they are a well…,” he said, pausing as he choked up.
“You have to excuse me,” Jealous explained, his voice trembling. “I’m a bit moved. My parents own marriage was against the law at the time and they had to return here to Baltimore after getting married in Washington, D.C. And the precession back was mistaken for a funeral precession because it was so quixotic to people to see all these cars with these headlights on, having to go from one city all the way to the next just so they could have a party after they got married in their own home. This is an important day.”
- Do gay people have the fastest accelerating civil rights movement in history?
- A pastor in North Carolina has figured out “a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers”
- Buenos Aires will allow foreigners to obtain same-sex marriages.
- Zimbabwe rejects gay rights.
- On gay rights in Iran