Housekeeping: Prop8TrialTracker.com twin columns to be added

Community/Meta

A minor site update to note that will launch later today, and I wanted to give everyone a heads up. We’ve added a second twin column for P8TT on the left side of the page that will have Quick Hits, DOMA updates, Recent Posts, Categories and more. On the right side we’ll have login, social media, and a few other things. The reason for this is because our list of items on the current right side of the page in one columns has gotten so long that people cannot find the e-mail subscription tool, hunt for posts on a specific topic using our tag system, or currently have to scroll way down to find it. So we simply added a twin column on the left side of the page with the most popular items (Quick Hits, login) close to the top and letting other items not get buried.

As usual, feedback is appreciated, and you can provide it by dropping in a comment on this post.

One other note as long as we’re on housekeeping — Jacob and I are off to get out the vote in North Carolina this weekend through Election Day, so we’ll be bringing you some special coverage from down there. I’ll be sending in a few dispatches from on the ground (and probably some photos and video), and Jacob will be writing regularly next week as well. Scottie will be holding down the fort otherwise.

Thanks as always for reading P8TT.

• 1. AnonyGrl  |  May 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

I wish I could join you in NC. I was trying to see if I could work it out, but it just isn't going to happen. :(

So I am counting on you guys to go do good work for all of us!!!

• 2. MJFargo  |  May 4, 2012 at 6:49 am

Adam, my appreciation for your presence and contribution only grows. Deep gratitude for all you and P8TT do for us.

• 3. Michael Scott  |  May 4, 2012 at 7:01 am

Good luck, guys!

• 4. jerimee  |  May 4, 2012 at 7:18 am

Ok the blog is going to be a bit messy for a bit; please forgive the construction. I should have it sorted out shortly.

• 5. Michael Scott  |  May 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

I like it. Definitely easier to find stuff.

• 6. Rich  |  May 4, 2012 at 8:02 am

Thanks guys….we will pulling for you and all of NC to defeat this hateful referendum.

• 7. Sagesse  |  May 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

@

• 8. _BK_  |  May 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

It looks a little cluttered, but that may be just me…

• 9. Sam_Handwich  |  May 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I agree….cluttered. When it first loaded I thought my browser was messed up.

• 10. Kate  |  May 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Yep. WAY too cluttered.

• 11. Lesbians Love Boies  |  May 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Another vote on cluttered.

• 12. Dude  |  May 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I think the width of the page should increase (so it looks ok on say 720p resolution) if they insist on going this route.

• 13. Kate  |  May 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Good idea — that would really help.

• 14. _BK_  |  May 5, 2012 at 3:46 am

Seconded – my screen is only about half-used when this site is up. The other half is just yellow… There's a way to have the page modified according to the specs of those who access it, right?

• 15. Sheryl_Carver  |  May 5, 2012 at 7:46 am

Agreeing with "cluttered" & the "yellow space" comments.

While the stuff on the sides is interesting, helpful, etc, the heart of P8TT are the articles/posts & comments from the members of our community. The new layout essentially cuts that part in half (space-wise) & makes it less readable, IMHO.

Perhaps it would work to have some of the things that do not change, or at least not often (Blogroll, NOM Tour Tracker, etc), be cascading menu items? That would take up a lot less real estate & also reduce the clutter factor.

• 16. Deeelaaach  |  May 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Agree on cluttered and yellow space. My monitor is 1440×900 and I have quite a bit of yellow space. My guess is that there are more widescreens out there, along with monitors that support more than 1024×768. However, I should point out that many out there may need to be able to read the print on this page without monkeying with their browser settings. I'm not one of them, but I know there are those out there that do need to be able to read the print without adjusting their browser settings or their monitor resolution or their browser settings, and most of them won't know how to do that.