Scottie Thomaston joins the Prop 8 Trial Tracker team: Please welcome Scottie!

Community/Meta

Last month I wrote that because we reached our monthly donor fundraising goal, with 39 new monthly donors committed to sustaining Prop 8 Trial Tracker through the end of the trial, we are able to bring on a new contributor to write on the front page at Prop 8 Trial Tracker and help bring even more coverage to you of the Prop 8 trial, DOMA repeal and DOMA cases, marriage equality and other topics important to you. We received some wonderful applications.

Today, I’m pleased to announce that Scottie Thomaston will join us as a new Contributor to the site. Scottie has been blogging for six years on DailyKos (under the username “indiemcemopants”, up until last month), Huffington Post Gay Voices and Firedoglake.com, covering LGBT legal issues and many other topics of interest to the LGBT community. I’ve joined tens of thousands of others who have read Scottie’s work for some time, particularly on the “Recommended” diaries list at DailyKos, to which his diaries have been promoted a remarkable 103 times. He also has been a reader of Prop 8 Trial Tracker from day one in January 2010, and ever since. He’ll be joining Jacob Combs and I to cover the topics in which you’re interested every day here on the site.

Please see below for an introduction from Scottie, and take a moment to welcome him in the comments!

Adam Bink
Director of Online Programs
Courage Campaign

Hi! I’m Scottie Thomaston, and I’m excited to be a new Contributor here at Prop 8 Trial Tracker. I’ve been a follower of this site and its work from its inception. At the time the Perry trial began at the district court, I was writing regularly at Daily Kos, a community I’d been a member of since 2005. Most of the LGBT community there was interested in following the trial and seeing the live-stream, and when the final decision came down blocking any live video, everyone scrambled to find new ways to access the information that would be presented at trial. When Rick Jacobs started the live blogging, it was an enormous relief. I was virtually glued to my computer, refreshing P8TT’s site every couple minutes for new portions of the trial transcripts.

I’ve been interested in law, particularly civil rights, since I was a teenager. When I wasn’t writing about it – from as far back as 2002 when I was posting less coherent discussions on places like LiveJournal – I was arguing with anyone I could find. This led to a lot of interesting conversations especially because of where I live.

I grew up in south Alabama and I’m currently living in a rural town down here. Since I’m nowhere near where most of the major changes have been happening in the country, I’ve felt pretty cut off from civilization. Growing up in this environment as a disabled (I’m paralyzed from the waist down) and gay person can sort of skew someone’s perception of life in interesting ways, and I always considered most things pretty hopeless until I started writing and became an activist.

Having found Daily Kos sometime around 2004, I joined in 2005. I started writing there under the username “indiemcemopants”, first comments and then actual posts a while later. (I recently transitioned to using my own name at the site.) As a writer who posts frequently there, I have written a lot about “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the Department of Defense directives related to the policy, and I participated in the campaign to allow open service. I have also written about the Defense of Marriage Act and the cases that are currently working their way through the courts. The community at Daily Kos is amazing and they’ve treated me well over the years. I have made a lot of lifetime friendships. For a time, I was co-manager of ‘KosAbility‘, a series dedicated to discussions of disability rights and activism, as well as personal stories. In 2010, I won a a scholarship from Democracy For America to attend Netroots Nation, mostly thanks to community members at Daily Kos who voted for me. Then in 2011, members of the community raised the money for me to attend Netroots Nation in Minneapolis (and I’d love your quick vote for this year’s contest to go to the conference in Providence!).

I write everywhere, seemingly all the time, and I’m extremely thankful for all the opportunities I’ve been given to reach a wider¬†audience. I started writing at Fire Dog Lake in 2010, and contributed a series on LGBT rights leading into the 2010 elections that November. One of the most exciting days of my life was when one of my posts there was quoted by the New York Times. I was invited to contribute to The Huffington Post’s “Gay Voices” in December of last year and have spent a lot of time over there. I feel like I did my part to help kill an anti-transgender bill that was submitted to Tennessee’s General Assembly, when my piece at Gay Voices about that legislation was front-paged and widely cited. Just recently, after contributing regularly to the Criminal Injustice series at Critical Mass Progress, I was invited on as a front-pager at CMP. Earlier this year, I founded a new blog called burn after writing.

I’ve always taken writing and activism extremely seriously, and I’m deeply committed to progressive, anti-racist, and LGBT causes. I love discussions and debates and I’m looking forward to having many of those with everyone here. I feel very privileged for the opportunity to write here and hope I can help and watch Prop 8 Trial Tracker grow, as it has continued to do over the years. Onward!

• 1. Richard Lyon  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

This looks like a great leap forward for this interesting blog. I have no doubt that Scottie will make interesting and valuable contributions.

• 2. Sagesse  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

@

• 3. jpmassar  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:12 am

Congratulations to both Scottie and P8TT for snarfing him!

• 4. Seth from Maryland  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Welcome, Scottie :)

• 5. Alan_Eckert  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:17 am

Welcome Scottie!

Were you an F5 refresher or clicking the button with the mouse? I think there was a fund started somewhere to replace broken F5 keys…

• 6. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thanks, Richard. I'm really excited aobut this.

• 7. Adam Bink  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:34 am

<3 this.

• 8. bythesea  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:34 am

Welcome aboard Scottie! I had no idea you were coming here to be an invaluable addition to the site, but am very happy to hear it. Congratulations to you and to the P8TT community!!

• 9. Willyr  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:36 am

Congrats Scottie!

Having followed your posts at DKos, I know what a great contribution you have made.

I'll be checking back here often.

• 10. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

*about

• 11. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi!

Thanks! Sorry, had trouble with the log-in for some reason.

• 12. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thanks! Heh snarfing, that's new to me.

• 13. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi, thanks! Very happy to be here.

• 14. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:45 am

Heheh! I pretty much broke my mouse on my old computer. I think there were days I didn't even stop reading to go get food. It was pretty bad. :)

• 15. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hey, thanks!

I'm glad you're over here! Good to see you. And yeah, I kept it under wraps until today.

• 16. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Thanks! Good to see you over here.

• 17. AnonyGrl  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:01 am

Welcome aboard, Scottie! Good to have you! Have a cookie and some MILK. Today we are featuring peanut butter chip cookies with a caramel drizzle.

• 18. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hi!

Heh delicious.

• 19. Bob  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:33 am

Hey welcome Scottie love your post,, (intro) great to have someone from a rural town , welcome look forward to reading your posts,,,,,,

• 20. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hi! Thanks, and yeah it's exciting to be able to write somewhere like this despite, ya know…

• 21. Str8Grandmother  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:39 am

Welcome aboard Scottie, I look forward to reading you. You will bring another new perspective, especially to those members, like you, who live in States with Constitutional Amendments prohibiting Same Gender Civil Marriage. Who live in States with absolutely no recognition of Domestic partnerships or Civil Unions. Who live in States with no employment protections from adverse employment punishment. Who live in States with NO non Discrimination Laws protecting sexual minorities from discrimination in housing. Who live in States that prohibit second parent adoption for the children of a same gender couple. Who live in States that do not permit a Same Gender Couple (both of them together) adopting children because they are not married, but then deny Same Gender Civil Marriage.

Hopefully you have new fresh contacts and perspective to bring to us for our consideration. I am especially interested to read your perspectives on Fundamentalists and their influence, as we know the South is their bastion.

Let's put you right to work. Is this article true? http://www.gayinalabama.com/gay-in-alabama/2010/0

What did you think of Eddie Long? I would love to read an article of what it is like for you, a man who is gay, to live in Alabama. What is it like there? What are your neighbors like? Your relatives? How good, or how bad is it there? I have good vibes about this. Again, Welcome Aboard!

• 22. Jyo  |  March 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

Congratulations. I mostly ‘lurk’ at DK these days (too tired of the pie fights!), but I’ve enjoyed your work over there. Looking forward to seeing what you bring to this place!

• 23. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This is the first I've heard about that article. That really sounds like something I will need to look into. INTERESTING.

Thanks so much. I could really probably link a whole ton of stuff I've written elsewhere about my personal experiences living here. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to do stuff like that here at some point.

I'm very close with my sister, and some of my family seems okay with me, but others kind of try to pretend I'm straight. Heh.

• 24. Kathleen  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Welcome aboard! Look forward to your contributions. And, of course, if I can help in any way, let me know. Adam and Jacob know how to contact me.

• 25. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks, Kathleen!

I appreciate that. I'll probably be getting in contact with you very frequently. You always have a lot of really good information!

• 26. Dave in Northridge  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Welcome, Scottie! Since you already know how to contact me at DKos, let me know if you need help. I'll be MORE than happy to work with you here.

• 27. Scottie Thomaston  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hey Dave! Didn't know you were over here too. That is awesome.

• 28. Dave in Northridge  |  March 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I sure am, and I explained it over at your kos post. This is even more immediate now, so even better.

• 29. Str8Grandmother  |  March 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I won't even mind seeing a ya'all now and then. It will remind me of where you are from. Or even the plural of ya'all which for those not familiar is…
    "All ya'all"
    Usage = "All ya'all need to sit down and get out your math books."

• 30. 415kathleenk  |  March 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hi Scottie,

It will be good to read your articles at P8tt. Since you are a long time reader, you know how much fun and how informative this site is. We are many faithful readers and commenters. There is no shortage of material for you to write about and investigate so that makes it very exciting.

• 31. Tim in Sonoma  |  March 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Hello Scottie!
    I have been here at P8TT since day one. It has been an endless source of great information for me to help educate the people in my life. I am not a daily commenter but have often. I look forward to your post. Welcome!

• 32. MightyAcorn  |  March 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Welcome aboard, Scottie! I'm the straight grouchy troll-baiting one.

• 33. Bob  |  March 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Welcome Scottie!

sfbob

• 34. Kay in Montana  |  March 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

I am so delighted to hear this, Scottie! Congratulations. You always elevate conversations. Looks like I'll have to visit this site often!

• 35. AnonyGrl  |  March 16, 2012 at 8:31 am

Please do, Kay, we would love to have you!

• 36. nancy a heitzeg  |  March 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Coingrats Scottie!

Youa will be a stelar addition to this iste :)

Good for everybody!