Marriage equality heading to full Senate vote in Maryland

Marriage equality

By Jacob Combs

Today, the Maryland Senate’s Judicial Proceedings Committee voted 7-4 to advance a proposed gay marriage bill to a full Senate vote.  Two amendments to the legislation were rejected: one that would have legalized civil unions, and another that would have returned the bill’s effective date to its original fall timeframe.

Senate President Thomas Mike Muller expects a full vote by the end of the week.  Marriage equality supporters are confident they have enough votes for the legislation to pass, as it did last year.

• 1. Sagesse  |  February 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

@

• 2. Bob  |  February 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

woot woot whack-a-mole to Marryland!!!!!

• 3. Reformed  |  February 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm

So, some are trading a legislative yes vote for a date that assures that a ballot effort can be made. Its better than a no vote I guess. But would be better if they had the votes for the original date. I wonder if what the debate for the ammendment to revert to the original date.

• 4. Reformed  |  February 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I wonder what the debate was like when considering the ammendment to revert back to the orginial date.

• 5. Jamie  |  February 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Given that Prop 8 passed even when marriages had been ongoing, I don't think that having a few months of marriage really makes any difference. People are going to vote on it regardless and their going to vote however they want regardless.

• 6. Matt  |  February 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am proud to be a Marylander this year, but my state is too conservative to allow it to stand. My prediction is a loss similar to Maine in 2009. It probably will be something like a 53-47 loss at referendum.

• 7. Reformed  |  February 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm

In the sense that the appeals court ruled narrowly on the prop 8 case that rights could not be taken away that had been previously granted I think it becomes signifigant. Also, in the sense that recognizing same sex marriages that were entered into legally further deligitimizes withholding marriage recognition from others at a later time. The confusing number of marriage tiers recognized in California goes in favor of marriage equality and further leads to discrimination that can be challenged. A straight couple's marriage might not be challenged, but a same sex couple's claim to be married might require the production of documents so that the dates can be verfied. Confusion is usually not a good thing, but in this case it lends itself to moving toward equality rather than away from it. I think the existing same sex marriages in California were also referenced in the prop 8 trials. So, if any same sex couple wanted to get married at the first opportunity, whether it be between a legislative victory and a referendum, or during a brief time between a stay being lifted and reinstated by a higher court, all of this works in favor of equality.

• 8. PoxyHowzes  |  February 21, 2012 at 5:34 pm

e)e)k! — No i did not have two more points rattling around in my head.

• 9. Stefan  |  February 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

"a) We now have 51% to 52% positive support. Prop 8 Lost with a bit more, as I recall,"

Earlier on in the campaign yes but towards election day it was about that in California.

• 10. PoxyHowzes  |  February 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Marrylander, here, also. First a nitpick: the President of the Maryland Senate (some of us call him "President-for-Life") is Thomas V. "Mike" Miller, not Muller as in the original post.

Second, I think Matt is correct: there is not enough popular support to overcome the inevitable referendum in MD.

b) Some "yes" votes in the House of Delegates were explicitly and publicly offered "just so the people could [get to] decide,"
    c) Black Churches in Baltimore City and Prince Georges County are vocally opposed,
    d) The Roman Catholic Church will swing a larger % of white votes than polling would indicate,
    e) Martin O'Malley is not Andrew Cuomo, and the coalition that will have to "sell" marriage equality to the voters is not as well organized, as well staffed, as well funded, or as well 'messaged' as the coalition was in New York State.

The above, all of it, is my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.
    e)
    e)

• 11. Bill S.  |  February 22, 2012 at 5:09 am

I still believe that the important aspect of the 9th Circuit's decision was not so much in the taking away, but in the fact that California already gave same-sex couples all the rights and priveleges of marriage just without the name. Prop 8 therefore did not effect any changes in policy except a purely symbolic one.

Their ruling seemed to indicate that if Prop 8 did more, and took away more rights, then it could have been held to have a rational basis.

Maryland does not have this separate-but-equal system.

• 12. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  February 22, 2012 at 8:33 am

[...] as Jacob reported last night, the Senate President still expects a vote by the end of the week. The Maryland House of Delegates [...]

• 13. J James  |  March 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Who is this guy, PoxyHowzes? Smart guy.