Tell Rhode Island Senator Reed that 104 days is not “very short”

Community/Meta DOMA Repeal

By Jacob Combs

We’ve been vocal in the past about getting Rhode Island Senator Jack Reed to sign on to DOMA repeal, which the senator said he would make a decision on “very shortly” last September.  Today, our coalition is conducting an outreach campaign to keep the pressure up on Sen. Reed.

Titled “Senator Reed: 104 days ≠ ‘very shortly,’” Marriage Equality Rhode Island campaign cites a report that aired yesterday on WRNI, Rhode Island’s NPR station, saying the senator is still undecided:

“U.S. Senator Jack Reed says he wants to be thoughtful and not rush a decision on whether he will support repealing the Defense of Marriage Act, also known as DOMA. The law blocks federal recognition of same-sex marriage, and Reed voted for it back in 1996. When asked whether he supports a bill repealing DOMA, Reed says he’s thinking about it.”

I’ve written before on this site about my frustration that Rhode Island (a state I adopted as my own during my four years at college) has been on the tail end of marriage equality in New England despite having some of the best polling numbers on the issue.  Senator Reed’s constituents certainly support the repeal of DOMA; he is long overdue to do the same.

If you or someone you know lives in Rhode Island, call Senator Reed’s office at 202-244-4642 and ask him to cosponsor the Respect for Marriage Act.  2012 will be a big year for marriage equality in the Ocean State, and we need all the allies we can get.

Update (Adam): Scott Wooledge at DailyKos summarizes the delay.

• 1. Ann S.  |  January 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm

• 2. thark  |  January 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Any word on if the sudden death of that 75 year old GOP lawmaker and the effect it will have on marriage equality in NJ…? The time is *fascinating*. (And notice my INCREDIBLE restraint in not jumping to any GOP bathroom toe-tapping conclusions..,

• 3. DaveP  |  January 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Bingo! Well said.

• 4. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 7:24 am

Cheryl Pflug Becomes Second GOP Washington State Senator to Support Marriage Equality Bill

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz1jABwrmch

• 5. naomi  |  January 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

Ok, so, help me out here, lovely people who know things: The Respect for Marriage Act doesn't currently repeal all of DOMA, right? Because it leaves the states the right to not recognize marriages in other states. If I'm right about that part (and I'm a bit unsure on that point), why not? I mean, I get that it would be hard to pass politically, but why isn't it being touted as a concession that's being given to the NOMs of the world? It feels like there is something that I'm missing. And that is….what?

• 6. EricKoszyk  |  January 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

More Good news from WA — King County Council votes to support marriage equality. King County is the most populous county in WA, and all 5 Democrats and 3 of 4 Republicans voted to endorse.

• 7. Leo  |  January 11, 2012 at 10:13 am

The Respect for Marriage Act does repeal DOMA in its entirety, including Section 2.

It's the lawsuits against DOMA that only challenge Section 3, and not Section 2.

• 8. EricKoszyk  |  January 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

Other news:

Several campuses are opposing Chick-Fil-A outlets opening on campus, due to the fast food chain's bias against gays and lesbians. Included is Florida State University.

• 9. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

yea it kinda reminds me of New York , everything now is moving really fast, i wonder when a vote could take place

• 10. Bill S.  |  January 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

Still, repealing Section 2 would not guarantee that states would have to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages.

• 11. naomi  |  January 11, 2012 at 11:59 am

oh, cool!

• 12. naomi  |  January 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm

ah. Interesting. I hadn't realized that had an unfortunate precedent.

• 13. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

even more good news, out of Washington,Maureen Walsh in the House a GOP member came out. "Though it will be the toughest vote I have had to take thus far in the legislature and will make my next re-election campaign difficult, I still believe it is the right thing to do, so I am with you" – Maureen

• 14. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

wow im just loving Washington today, Tacoma City Council Unanimously Endorses Washington’s Marriage Equality Bill

• 15. Bob Barnes  |  January 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Seth, do you have a link???? I'm googling with no success.

Thanks

• 16. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

umm, i dont see a link either, but i know someone on the Washinton United for Marriage facebook commented it, plus someone who gives me alot of info, message that info to me as well

• 17. Seth from Maryland  |  January 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

According to the Seattle Post Intelligencer:

The AP has reached out to all 49 state senators over the past week and found that more lawmakers are firmly supporting gay marriage than opposing it, by a margin of 21-18. The measure needs 25 votes to pass the Senate.

Five other Democrats say they are considering whether to support it, including two who are leaning in favor. A pair of Republicans is among those supporting the proposal, and two first-term GOP members said they were discussing the issue with constituents

• 18. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

[...] written before about Senator Jack Reed’s slow evolution on the issue of repealing the Defense of Marriage Act. Despite polls in his state favoring marriage equality and opposing DOMA, [...]