Maggie Gallagher on her new organization

Right-wing

It looks like Maggie’s helped form a new organization since leaving NOM, the “Culture War Victory Fund” (quite the title). From her self-congratulatory letter:

Can we achieve victory in America’s “culture wars”?  Can we stand–succesfully–for life, for marriage, and for religious liberty?

I think so.

If you are reading this letter, you think so too.

Thank you for joining the Culture War Victory Fund (CWVF). Each week I will ask you to do two things: to think and to act.

Bringing together thought and action is CWVF’s unique contribution.

I’m Maggie Gallagher, and I’ve helped win a few impossible victories in my time.

In the 90s I participated in a great national debate over family structure: are rising rates of fatherlessness and family fragmentation a good thing, as progressive elites then so self-righteously  proclaimed?

Or do children long for the love of their mother and father united in marriage?

The answer now seems obvious, but it was a long hard fight to win social respect for the view that marriage matters for children.

I’ve been a syndicated columnist and have authored three books on marriage, including  “The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier, and Better-Off Financially” (co-authored with University of Chicago Professor Linda J. Waite).

During the Bush administration, I had a front row seat over debates regarding the Federal Marriage Amendment—and I could see the need for a single-issue national activist organization to do the hand-on political work of fighting for marriage and religious liberty—especially in blue states.

So I founded one: The National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

Not all by myself of course.  Brian Brown, Princeton Professor Robbie George, and a whole host of impressive people came together.  In just a few short years, the National Organization for Marriage has become what even the Washington Post called the “pre-eminent national organization” fighting to protect marriage as the union  between  husband and wife.

In early 2008, NOM helped get Prop 8 on the ballot in California. We changed history.

I recall vividly how I was told by fellow conservatives a victory for Prop 8 would be literally impossible: They said:

“It takes $2 million to get a proposition on the ballot in California, you cannot possibly raise the money, you will raise part of the money and leave the donors hanging, if by some miracle you succeed you will lose at the ballot box because the culture has shifted.”

Here’s the thing I want you to notice about this story.

First, the people who were telling me that success was impossible were people who agreed with me that gay marriage was a civil wrong, not a civil right.

Secondly—and this is the most important thing—none of it turned out to be true.

In six weeks we raised the crucial seven figures needed to succeed in getting Prop 8 on the ballot. During the election, 7 million Californians voted to overturn their state Supreme Court and affirm marriage as the union of husband and wife.

I learned an important lesson from that great victory and I want to share it with you: Despair is the most powerful weapon our opponents have. And despair is a self-inflicted weapon one they can have only if we voluntarily hand over to them.

Jeremy’s right that people like Maggie never note the 6.4 million Californians who voted No on 8. I recall Ted Olson going no Fox News with Chris Wallace and listened to Chris sputtering about why one judge should “overturn the will of millions of Californians.” Aside from a very narrow win for Prop 8, dissent matters in a society.

I am glad, however, to see Maggie continue the tradition of insanely long letters as were the case with Brian Brown’s e-mails when she was at NOM. If you can stand to read it, the other 1,646 words in her letter are here.

40 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Sagesse  |  December 6, 2011 at 9:23 am

Checking in.

• 2. AnonyGrl  |  December 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

Yes, and we WILL be better off, happier and healthier when you get the hell out of our marriages, Maggie.

• 3. menergy  |  December 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

ugh.

• 4. Juli  |  December 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

Are there really people on the other side of this fight who believe that if gay people aren't allowed to marry each other somehow more children will gain both a mother and a father? Or do those people really believe that opposite sex marriage will cease to exist? Or that our population will die out – did they somehow miss the fact that our planet's population has now surged past 7 billion people? How can any thinking person really digest these talking points? When I've heard Maggie speak, I always get the sense that she herself does not believe these points. She rather arrogantly spits the same points out over and over, but there is also a certain detachment to her that has always made me feel she is just a messenger, a gun for hire, just doing her job. I see no real passion or love in what she is doing. Brian Brown seems more driven by something personal. I'm baffled

• 5. JinMD  |  December 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

Maggie makes a lot of money and I suspect that's what drives her drivel.

• 6. Derek Williams  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

These people need to be put on show in a public debate, and have these very questions asked of them. To say that I would be fascinated by the outcome, and what they could actually adduce in defence of their "proposition", would be the biggest understatement I've made in a good long while.

• 7. Straght4Equality  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

"In the 90s I participated in a great national debate over family structure: are rising rates of fatherlessness and family fragmentation a good thing, as progressive elites then so self-righteously proclaimed?" </block quote>

Can Maggie document that progressives ever said that rising rates of fatherlessness and family fragmentation are a good thing. I can't imagine anyone saying that. I believe this is just another of her lies.

• 8. Straght4Equality  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oops. How did that space get in ? Sorry

• 9. Bob  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Mags, is definetly focused on atoneing for her one son born out of wedlock,,,,, perhaps she could better do that by developing a loving relationship with him rather than hounding the rest of society,, about her sexual promiscuity,,, and relentless efforts to prevent the inevitable,,,, wonder what status her children have, one son born in wedlock,,, and one not……….

• 10. Joe  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

Seriously, I thought you were joking when you called it by that name. No one "wins" the culture wars. It's the idea that in America, the great melting pot, that, like Highlander, "there can be only one." It's ridiculous.

• 11. frisky1  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

"Each week I will ask you to do two things: to think and to act."

A tall order given the track record of most on the anti-gay rights side.

• 12. Joe  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:36 am

Since the '90s, the number of kids in foster care has dropped by ONE THIRD (over 200,000 fewer kids now), the BIGGEST drop in HISTORY. Is she going to "blame" that on "progressive elites" as well.

• 13. Joe  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:42 am

One last thing I'm going to say on this issue: Maggie, 1) How does scapegoating gay people for what straight people do help straight families? Maggie has NEVER done ANYTHING for heterosexual marriage. She has ONLY blamed EVERYTHING on same sex couples for what straight people do. It makes gay people her scapegoat. Pure and simple.

In 2009, New York became the 50th and last state to legalize no fault divorce. Oh, Maggie did show up to protest…. protest same sex marriage that is. Did she send out an email blast calling for people to call their legislators to stop the last bastion of easy divorce in the country? Did she call for anyone to donate to that cause? Or did she seek to blame gay people for what straight people do? She did the latter.

I cannot possibly see how this "defends" marriage. It doesn't get to the heart of the matter. It doesn't make heterosexual marriage any stronger. It just blames other people for what they are doing.

And Maggie, I'm tired of being your b*tch.

• 14. bjasonecf  |  December 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

UPDATE: Glenn v. Brumby

11th Circuit upholds District Court's decision that the firing of Vandy Beth Glenn (a transgender woman) by the Georgia State Legislature was discriminatory and unconstitutional.

From the decision: "We conclude that a government agent violates the Equal Protection Clause's prohibition on sex-based discrimination when he or she fires a transgender or transsexual employee because of his or her gender non-conformity."

I actually attended the oral arguments for this – less than a week ago!!

Congratulations to Vandy Beth and Lambda Legal!!

• 15. DaveP  |  December 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

We're almost there. The Prop 8 trial tapes will soon be released. And everyone will see the truth that the Prop 8 backers could nor supress once they were put on the witness stand. I plan to make a big bowl of popcorn and invite friends over to watch.

• 16. DaveP  |  December 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yeah, She may get some to act, but that other request… I dunno….

• 17. DaveP  |  December 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

I can't help but notice that there is a conspicuous omission from Maggie's letter – the fact that the courts have found Prop 8 to be unconstitutional and that "The State has no interest in discriminating against same-sex couples".

Does she think the recipients of her letter don't know that little detail about how that issue has been playing out? Or are they collectively agreeing not to talk about it and pretend it didn't happen?

• 18. AnonyGrl  |  December 6, 2011 at 11:46 am

I find it telling that the new organization has the word FUND in the title. They are not going to be about good works, they are not going to be about advocacy, they are not going to be about lobbying or assisting those in need. They are going to be about collecting money.

If anyone is surprised, raise your hand now. No? Thought not.

• 19. DaveP  |  December 6, 2011 at 11:57 am

Wow, that decision sure looks like a slam-dunk! Worth a read. I especially got a chuckle out of the defendants claim (which was hypothetical and made-up only after litigation began) that he was concerned about other employees suing over a transgender person using the same restroom, when in fact it was revealed that all of their restrooms were single-occupancy. A real jerk and a really poor liar.

• 20. bjasonecf  |  December 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

In oral arguments it was discussed that, basically, nobody else cared. Brumby (the Defendant-Apellant/her employer) couldn't get anyone else in the office to go on record as having any problem with her transitioning.

• 21. Str8Grandmother  |  December 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Following the link provided I entered a comment and noticed in the URL that I was comment #81. Of course it is not published that goes to show that there are 81 people who care enough to take the time to comment back negatively and not one single positive comment. Hmmmm, didn't she say that here followers should "act"?

• 22. New  |  December 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I also found C.W.V.F. a pathetic title.
    ""No one "wins" the culture wars.""[x2] As NOM didn't and never will win anny war agaist same-sex marriages either.

• 23. New  |  December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

As long PropH8 is law in CA, she'll keep sprinkling confetti over her ugly head.
    When PropH8 is not in the books anymore, she can write another book: "How to waste $2 million"

• 24. Longestest Lurker  |  December 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Sadly, I suppose in Mags worldview we are all just channeling Satan and therefore are to ge ignored.

• 25. New  |  December 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

What is the definition for "civil wrong"? This expression (she uses a lot) sounds quite oxymoronic to me.
    And how can gay marriage laws be a "civil wrong" while it's legal? How can something be wrong if it's civil?
    "Noun 1. civil wrong – (law) any wrongdoing for which an action for damages may be brought." What demage my marriage can cause to others?

• 26. AnonyGrl  |  December 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

But… but… we might catch transgendered cooties!!!!
    What an idiot.

• 27. AnonyGrl  |  December 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I've noticed the same thing. Brian actually seems to buy into his position, Maggie seems to buy into the paycheck.

I honestly think that may be because Maggie is smarter than Brian. I do hope, for her sake, that she is investing wisely.

• 28. Joe  |  December 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

It's not supposed to make sense, except to the dittoheads reading it and nodding their head in agreement.

• 29. Bob  |  December 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm

you know people like Pat,,,,,,,,,,,,

• 30. Bob  |  December 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

the thinking part is hearing Mags, the action part is nodding head in agreement,,,,, simple

• 31. SoCal_Dave  |  December 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yep, if Maggie believes her own stuff, she is basically saying she wants us to be worse off, less happy and less healthy. Thanks, Maggie. Maybe along with Prop-8 you can get Matthew 5:44 repealed. Oh, BTW, great name for your new group – it's always nice to have "War" in the title. :-S

• 32. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  December 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

She didn't say they had to be done at the same time. LOL

• 33. truthspew  |  December 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

And Maggie also fails to mention the shenanigans they pulled to get Prop 8 on the ballot. A lot of questionable legal strategies, etc.

• 34. Paul in Minneapolis  |  December 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Don't expect any of your posts to actually show up on Magster's new site. I found the following statement there:

Comment Policy

We want to thank all those who have come to this site to engage in polite and civil debate. There are many places for robust debate on the internet, But Culture War victory fund is intended to be community, not a debating society. This is a place for people who are committed to marriage as the union of husband and wife, to life from the moment of conception, and to a robust conception of religious liberty as our First Freedom. Debate among those who share these principles on how to further our shared goals is welcome!

Translation: "Your post will show up only if we agree with it. Go ahead and post elsewhere, like on NOM's site — where we don't bother to warn you that your posts won't see the light of day there, either."

• 35. Rich  |  December 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Maggie's "Culture War" is a war against the gay children of this country. I, for one, intend to steer future comments in the direction of this fact. NOM et al are dangerous to our gay children. They offer no support, let alone encouragement, to the welfare and happiness of gay kids. NOM et al have tried, in the past, to label gays as predators of kids. NOM et al are the true predators, robbing honest and decent gay kids of their civil rights and integrity in a civil society. The Catholic Church and so many other fundamentalist churches/organizations are in on this shameful collusion and need to be called out. The time is NOW!

• 36. Bob  |  December 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

What is a robust conception of religious liberty as our First Freedom??????????

• 37. Str8Grandmother  |  December 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm

That is a great point Bob. And very important. What Maggie et al feels is that the First Amendment, Freedom of Religion, trumps all those other Amendments, like the fourteenth.

• 38. Str8Grandmother  |  December 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I'll give you a thumbs up for that statement!

• 39. Jim  |  December 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

It means my religion can walk all over yours and America only applies to me and the way I think not you.

• 40. Juli  |  December 11, 2011 at 5:37 pm

and war against the the children of gays.