NOM prepping ‘Next Gen for Marriage’ project

NOM Exposed Right-wing

Cross-posted at NOMExposed.org

By Jeremy Hooper

I have it on good word that Thomas Peters, the young Cultural Director of the National Organization For Marriage with a penchant for “gays can change” activism, is gearing up to launch a new NOM outreach effort called “NextGen For Marriage.” So what we might expect from the planned young people outreach? I have a few ideas.

(1) Fake polls. Since all credible polling puts young people drastically in favor of marriage equality, I’m sure we’ll get more polling from conservative outfits like Lawrence Research and QEV Analytics, purporting to show some stemming of a tide. It won’t work, of course — but we’ll probably still get it.

(2) Aggressive social media promotion. We know from NOM’s failed summer money challenge, its constantly abysmal YouTube ratings (latest Marriage ADA vid has 123 dislikes and only 9 likes, as of this writing), its forums that are always majority pro-equality when left open and fair, etc., that this organization is losing the Culture War 2.0 challenge. So they’ll surely try to NextGen up a young base of support.

(3) Stories of young love. In the age of Kardashians, Thomas and company will surely try to push inspiring tales of young heterosexual love, much like NOM’s young-focused cohorts at the Ruth Institute. Which would actually be fine and even nice, if not for the complete and utter blind eye they will obviously turn to young same-sex love and marriage.

(4) Denial of inevitability. Maggie Gallagher, in particular, loves to talk about the unfulfilled promises from her youth as a way of making it seem like same-sex couples’ freedom to marry is not as inevitable as it sounds. Mostly, Maggie trumps up straw men arguments that people weren’t making as strongly as she claims they were (The Soviet Union was the way of the future, for one) to pit past apples against current, legally sound, obvious oranges. But regardless, I predict this denial of marriage equality’s inevitably to be a rally cry for NOM NextGen, considering the obvious need to change the thinking patterns of the “Glee” generation.

(5) The victimization routine on a more specific scale. Think college students who are “silenced” by inclusive professors. Or high school valedictorians who want to mention marriage in a commencement speech. Or someone like Jennifer Keeton, the grad student fighting to tell potential counseling clients that “their behavior is morally wrong and then help the client change that behavior.” NOM is all about flipping the script these days — so we should expect NOM NextGen to be of the same book, just this one filed in the young adult section.

Of course we’ll all have to wait and see what NOM NextGen actually brings, since at this point there’s not even artwork (or even purchased domain names — hint, hint) to go on. So while we all wait, I’ll be at the open bar of a same-sex wedding in the growing number of states where such are legally-binding, collecting my Next Gin.

• 1. Alan_Eckert  |  November 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

They're finally getting worried about the younger generation, even though they are more likely to support equal rights!

• 2. DaveP  |  November 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Be afraid, NOM. Those millions and millions of kids already think your anti-gay rhetoric is "lame".

• 3. Me!  |  November 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I just became the proud owner of NEXTGENFORMARRIAGE.COM, so let's see what happens now ;)

• 4. peterplumber  |  November 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Too bad he was brainwashed at such an early age. I always thought he was kind of cute.

Picture

• 5. AnonyGrl  |  November 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Oh PLEASE put up a Marriage Equality is Wonderful thing of some sort! And maybe a series of links to this page and JoeMyGod and GoodAsYou and Pam's House Blend and the Trevor Project and itgetsbetter.org all the other great pages out there that I haven't mentioned! I would be happy to help design a logo for you if you like!

• 6. Me!  |  November 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Thanks! I will let you know. For now, I have it pointing at afer.org which is the REAL next gen for marriage! :)

• 7. AnonyGrl  |  November 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

And, inspired… I just went and registered NextGen4Marriage.com. :)

Gonna play a bit and see what I can do with that.

• 8. Me!  |  November 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Cool. My plan right now is to rotate NextGenForMarriage through various existing sites (afer.org, glad.org, this site, etc.), but I can also point it at yours once it's up and running :)

• 9. Ronnie  |  November 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm

=…… <3…Ronnie

• 10. Ronnie  |  November 4, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I'm wondering if NOM has permission from the FAA to use the same name as the FAA's Next Generation Air Transportation System aka NextGen… hmmmm… ; ) …Ronnie

• 11. AnonyGrl  |  November 4, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I put up a goofy placeholder page with some general stuff on it… will do more when I have a bit of time… maybe on Sunday. For $5 I can foil NOM for a year. This makes me SO very happy.

• 12. renecito1  |  November 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I second your pride with NEXTGENFORMARRIAGE.NET :-)

• 13. Ken  |  November 5, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I just purchased nomnextgen.org and it's directed here for the moment.

• 14. renecito1  |  November 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Perfect

• 15. MightyAcorn  |  November 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

You three are the ginchiest! MWAH!

(maybe I'll go get "NextGen4EqualMarriage" and really screw NOM's SEO, eh wot?)

• 16. MightyAcorn  |  November 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Someget grab blogspot and Facebook!

• 17. AnonyGrl  |  November 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I think this is all absolutely hysterical, all the NextGen grabbing! If anyone searches anything, it is going to point to equality somehow! I love it. Well done all!

• 18. renecito1  |  November 6, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Nextgenformarriage@gmail.com http://nextgenformarriage.blog.com
    Tweeter nextgenformarri http://www.nextgenformarriage.blogspot.com http://www.facebook.com/nextgenformarriage http://www.nextgenformarriage.net

All with links and googable profiles to http://www.afer.org/

• 19. Ann S.  |  November 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Wonderful!!

• 20. renecito1  |  November 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm

domain comes out handy I posted a list of donors to YES on 8 xls file http://www.nextgenformarriage.net/NOM_CALIFORNIA_

• 21. AnonyGrl  |  November 9, 2011 at 6:08 am