Chick-Fil-A’s mission to feed…anti-gay hate groups, that is

Right-wing

This morning, Equality Matters released the findings of their lengthy investigation and found Chick-Fil-A donated nearly $2 million to anti-gay groups in just the year 2009. That doesn’t include the more than $1 million they donated between 2003 and 2008, and I can only imagine what the numbers were in the last calendar year. They include:

• Marriage & Family Legacy Fund: $994,199
  • Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
  • National Christian Foundation: $240,000
  • Focus On The Family: $12,500
  • Eagle Forum: $5,000
  • Exodus International: $1,000
  • Family Research Council: $1,000

Every one of them has a mission to keep LGBT people down. Every single one. Exodus International holds a particular place in the pantheon, teaching that being gay — or what they call “sexual brokenness” — is perverse and using the scare of AIDS to recruit people in the 1980s. Perhaps nothing is so horrible as driving people to hate themselves and consider taking their own lives.

Whenever one of these reports comes out, everyone says “I’m not eating Chick-Fil-A anymore!” to themselves and their friends and posts it on Facebook, but the message never makes it through to Chick-Fil-A. If it doesn’t, they never know how much business they lose. While Chick-Fil-A’s ownership and leadership may be driven by personal beliefs, they aren’t immune from losing customer support, either — and the less money they have, the less they have to give it to groups that seek to drive LGBT people off the face of the Earth. So give them a call, drop them an e-mail, walk into your local Chick-Fil-A and give them feedback. Write to your paper and break the news of the Equality Matters report so more people know about it. Call into your radio station and denounce Chick-Fil-A.

The more we create a firestorm, the more we change their policies, or if not, dry up their well of money with which they can feed hate.

• 1. Alan_Eckert  |  November 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

I'm going back east in December, and it will be a challenge to not eat a chicken sandwich and waffle fries =(

• 2. Ann S.  |  November 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

I almost wish they'd open a restaurant here so I could boycott it.

• 3. Ronnie  |  November 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

(Starts singing)…..
    Money makes the hate go 'round, hate go 'round. hate go 'round…. Money makes the hate go 'round… Hope Chick-fil-a-Hate has some left for reparations……
    Money makes the hate go 'round, hate go 'round, hate go 'round…. Money makes the hate go 'round…. Chick-fil-a-Hate does the work of "Satan"….
    Money makes the hate go 'round, hate go 'round, hate go 'round…. Money makes the hate go 'round.. Chick-fil-a-Hate is an inhuman corporation…….
    Money makes the hate go 'round, hate go 'round, hate go 'round….Money makes the hate go 'round…. Chick-fil-a-Hate is a disgrace on this nation.

………(bows)……… ; ) …Ronnie

• 4. _BK_  |  November 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

I never liked their food, so I can't imagine what it's like to boycott a restaurant you enjoy. Still, there are hundreds of other restaurants you can visit – and I'd wager a large number of them actually support LGBT rights.

Stay strong! (:

• 5. PhillyKarl  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

Any attempt to change Chick-fil-a policies had better be coated in Scripture or it will have no effect. Just saying….

• 6. drydeniv  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

I know! – I love Chick-Fil-A – their spicy wraps, nuggets, and waffle fries are so awesome. I've been boycotting them for about a year and a half now – it has been very hard – but just.

• 7. tim  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

I find it interesting that the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce gave them 416k in 2009. What would a Chamber of Commerce have any interest in promoting a charity that doesn't do anything to promote business or doing work in Atlanta?

Also keep in mind that many family owned or controlled restaurant chains all have charitable organizations that are christian based. Another one that comes to mind is In-and-Out burger who goes as far as to print bible versus on the wrappers.

• 8. Bob  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:37 am

There used to be a Chick-Fil-A in West Hollywood (of all places). I don't know if it's still there.

• 9. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

LOL!

• 10. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:50 am

and Winshape!

• 11. peterplumber  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

I just came home from a trip back east. My partner & I went to visit with his mom and grandmother. They told me a story about how grandma knew the Cathy family when they were just starting out. I wanted to jump in and tell her about what they are doing to US…but it's hard to get a word in edgewise with those two women.

• 12. AnonyGrl  |  November 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Send them a letter, with a copy of this post or the Equality Matters report. Preface it with "I remember you were talking about how you knew the Cathy family… sadly, this is what they are up to these days."

Maybe when she talks about them to others after that, she will say "… and NOW they are trying their best to marginalize and stigmatize my grandson and his partner. Shame on them!"

• 13. AnonyGrl  |  November 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Do unto others… judge not… love your neighbor as yourself…

They certainly aren't following THOSE rules.

• 14. 415kathleenk  |  November 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Me too!!

• 15. Jim in Santa Cruz  |  November 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

We don't have Chick-Fil-A where I live, but this got me to thinking: One of my favorite places to eat is In-n-Out Burger. They print Bible verses on some of their packaging, reflective of their family Christian beliefs. How can we find out who they donate to (they are privately held)?

• 16. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm

here is some info…still digging…

Eatocracy

• 17. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

CNN Poll from "Eatocracy" article:

"Does a side of moral stance flavor your patronage of fast food establishments?"
    No – I just eat the food. 34.34% (1,300 votes)
    Yes – I won't eat anywhere that supports lifestyle choices I find immoral. 16.24% (615 votes)
    Yes – I won't eat anywhere with conservative backing. 19.49% (738 votes)
    It won't necessarily stop me, but if I have the choice, I'll eat elsewhere. 27.15% (1,028 votes)
    Other (please share below) 2.77% (105 votes)

Total Votes: 3,786

• 18. dsc77  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I remember one in the Del Amo mall back in 1991. I don't know if that's there, either.

I'm in Maine now and I haven't seen any in the Bangor area…

• 19. dsc77  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I see the Fellowship Of Christian Athletes is on the list, but are they really anti-gay? Is it a part of their mission, even though a few things have been said by the coordinator and a coach.

Dave

• 20. dsc77  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Nevermind…just found interesting statements in their application page: https://mla.fca.org/fcaweb/mla/default.aspx

Dave

• 21. Reformed  |  November 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I am boycotting them as well. Not too much trouble for me as I don't care for bland chicken sandwiches.

• 22. Andrew T.  |  November 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

To be fair, the tendency of the local Chic-Fil-A outlets to undercook their product is the reason why I've gone there only twice in the last ten years. The Cathys' anti-gay religious shenanigans are the reason why in the next ten years I won't be going there at all.

• 23. DaveP  |  November 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Wow that is one odd application form. I assume you're refering to their 'sexual purity statement'. I also thought the question "Do you know for sure that you are going to Heaven?"with the little YES/NO button was weird.

• 24. dsc77  |  November 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I think I'd like to participate in the adult huddles!!!

• 25. dsc77  |  November 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

God, that's a rather judgmental form. Really, what MAN is qualified to read what a person would say to God?

• 26. DaveP  |  November 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I'll certainly boycott. I do it all the time for any anti-LGBT business and I do what I can to make sure they know about it. But other than my little individual voice, how do we make this visible to them in a big way? Maybe a Change.org petition or something?

• 27. Adam Bink  |  November 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Good for you.

• 28. Lizeth  |  November 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I read somewhere that they did and haven't ate there since.
    I'll research it since its been a while.

• 29. Lizeth  |  November 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

What is the update on Target

• 30. Alan_Eckert  |  November 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Gage Raley files a seriously late amicus brief: http://www.scribd.com/doc/71208125/10-16696-372

I started commenting on the next post up and on the P8TT facebook page. Make sure you don't roll your eyes too much while reading.

• 31. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I snorted aloud @ some of those questions on the app…my goodness!

• 32. Gregory in SLC  |  November 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm

too late ! (eyes already rolling….)

• 33. Sheryl, Mormon Mom  |  November 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Just wondering how Chic-a-filet would respond to a request from an equality group to provide food at a conference. Anyone know if this has been done?

• 34. Does Chick-fil-A Care if &hellip  |  July 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

[...] When he reported on the Nov. 1, 2011 Equality Matters report, Courage Campaign’s Adam Bink at Prop 8 Trial Tracker sagely wrote: [...]

• 35. ghibagarbac  |  August 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm