FAIR Education Act: We may have made the difference

FAIR Education Act

From the Stop SB 48 campaign:

497,404       504,760

The first number is the number of signatures received by Stop SB48. The second number is the number of signatures needed to qualify the referendum.

Some will find encouragement in those numbers-we came close.

Others will be discouraged-with just a little more effort…

We did come close.But we should put that in perspective. Realize that some amount of signatures will always be thrown out because of errors. Ultimately we needed many more than the 504,760 to qualify the referendum. We simply ran out of time before we could get to that number.

While we did not qualify the referendum, our efforts did not go unnoticed. We gained more than 497,000 signatures without the use of paid signature gatherers. That is unprecedented. And we did this on a small fraction of the budget traditionally required to gather that many signatures.

In emails and phone calls over the last 24 hours, two questions have dominated. The first question is answered by the numbers above. The second question is “where do we go from here?”

While the referendum was the best way to stop SB48 in its tracks, there are other ways for the citizens of California to respond to bad laws. We are discussing our next move and will keep you informed as decisions are made.

We lost this most recent battle. But with your help we will fight on.

If they’re telling the truth (and you never know in these kinds of fights) the decline-to-sign effort that many of you volunteered for/donated to may have made all the difference. I’m serious. They still would have had to collect above any beyond that number because of tens of thousands of signatures that would have been disqualified, but we helped cut it close.

Chip in to prepare for round 2, because it looks like it’s coming.

13 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. John Wullbrandt  |  October 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

Good work! So proud of you all. My old buddy Mark Leno better show up in those history books someday soon.

• 2. DaveP  |  October 14, 2011 at 8:00 am

Hmmm…. I've seen them make this statement a couple of times now: "we did this on a small fraction of the budget traditionally required to gather that many signatures."

And I'm curious about that. Did they make a decision to not spend the necessary money? If so, why not? Or did they simply not have the money? I'm betting that the answer would give me a nice warm fuzzy feeeling regardless of which it is.

• 3. jpmassar  |  October 14, 2011 at 8:22 am

They didn't have the money. No big organization stepped up to support the effort. That's my understanding.

• 4. DaveP  |  October 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

Well waddaya know. I was right. That DOES give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

• 5. Alan_Eckert  |  October 14, 2011 at 8:43 am

That's what I read into it, too. There were no big names associated with the push meaning no one was giving money for it. They probably should have if they really wanted it, but did anyone else see the OneNewsNow article where the title said "Anti-LGBT initiative fails in Calif."? It was clearly not just about teaching about gay role models in school, it was more about gays in general.

• 6. LCH  |  October 14, 2011 at 8:48 am

I concur with what jpmasser says about big organizations sitting this one out. Also if you nose around the conservative blogisphere, there are also certain conservative corners that don't trust the Capitol Resource Institute (the organization fronting the repeal) as a hold-over from a turf fight between CRI and other groups over Prop8. Also in the mix is the local politics in which CRI made enemies.

• 7. DaveP  |  October 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

Hi Alan,

I have a good comment to add over there – any idea how I do that? When I fill out the comment box there's no SUBMIT button, just a drop-down asking me to select how I want to comment (I'm not on Facebook, so I tried selecting Yahoo but nothing seems to happen…)

• 8. DaveP  |  October 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Bah. I'm such a noob at this stuff sometimes. Oh well, I see that you have an account there Alan, so if you'd like to post my comment or some variation of it, feel free. It was this:

Here's an example of what SB48 will do: At the end of WWII, when the Allies freed the prisoners from the camps, not everyone was freed. The gay prisoners (identified by the pink triangle on their clothes instead of the star of David) were sent to other prisons where most of them died without ever being released.
    Teaching this has nothing to do with any talk about sex acts. This is a historical FACT about what really happened in WWII and FACTS should be in our history books. If you were not aware of this fact because it wasn't taught to you when you learned about WWII in school, that alone tells you why SB48 is a good thing.

• 9. Ronnie  |  October 14, 2011 at 10:13 am

Pfffttt…. I say Pfffttt to them…… ok moving on….. Subscribing & sharing…..

Poll: Most New Hampshirites don't want to strip fellow citizens of in-place, deserved right: http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2011/10/poll

HBO Developing 'The Kids Are All Right' as Hour-Long Series: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/10/hbo-developing-t

Gay military personnel ready for 1st convention: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM

& Today's 2011 LGBT History Month Icon…..
    “I am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest.” ~ Neil Patrick Harris, award-winning TV, film, & stage actor best known for his roles as "Doogie Howser, M.D." & Barney Stinson from "How I Met Your Mother". He was named 1of the 100 Most Influential People by Time magazine in 2010 & later that year he & his parter, David Burtka, welcomed into the world their adorable twins Gideon Scott & Harper Grace. Read more about him here: http://www.lgbthistorymonth.com/neil-patrick-harr

….. <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube SkNijc6oYlY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNijc6oYlY youtube]

• 10. Alan_Eckert  |  October 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

I'll add a brief comment about Alan Turing to that comment and post it.

• 11. peterplumber  |  October 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

On the topic of Education, I received a note from the HRC with the following subject line:
    NJ teacher tears into gays on Facebook
    and then the note goes on to tell the story. More about that here: Click Here

Then MSNBC has this sotry: Male cheerleader ousted after kissing a guy
    The Story

• 12. peterplumber  |  October 14, 2011 at 10:45 am

Big Money sat this one out because the entire Stop SB 48 campaign was riddled with LIES. It was a non-issue to all but the hardest headed conservatives.

• 13. _BK_  |  October 15, 2011 at 3:17 am

My god, I didn't even know about that. Thank you, DaveP. Now I have another thing to talk about… that is really sad.