Does Sen. Casey care about these folks?

DOMA Repeal

Stories matter, and these are Sen. Casey’s constituents. What is he going to do about them?

Courage Campaign

Dear Adam,

In politics, we often forget that change is about real people with real stories. Today in Pennyslvania, there are real Courage Campaign members who are being discriminated against. And the question is, will Sen. Bob Casey do anything to help them?

You see, there are 30 U.S. Senators who support repealing the Defense of Marriage Act, which prevents married same-sex couples from having critical protections that straight couples have. You’d think Sen. Casey would be one of them, right? Wrong. So we asked Courage members all across Pennsylvania for their stories of why it’s so important to repeal DOMA, and we want to share them with you…and with Sen. Casey.

Please read below for stories of how Pennsylvanians are suffering, then click here to sign our letter with to Sen. Casey with
Equality Pennsylvania and Freedom to Marry, asking him to do the right thing and support DOMA repeal for constituents like them.

Heather Poehler in Downington:

I married my wife on September 10, 2005 in Massachusetts. In 2008 we moved to Pennsylvania which does not recognize marriage performed in other states because of DOMA. We have no rights here as a married couple. Every year when we file our federal taxes, we do not get the benefits of filing as married (in our state of residence or with the federal government). We cannot get the health insurance we want because it has a federal saving account attached to it and my wife cannot use the funds (our own money) in the account for her health care.

Robert Vaites in Glenolden:

My partner and I have been together for over four years. He was accepted at a college but he tried twice to get a student visa to come and live here with me and attend school, but was denied each time. He was also denied a tourist visa. That means I have to leave my home and travel to Argentina to be with my partner. Because of DOMA I, an American citizen, cannot sponsor him to come and live with me in my home, in the country I love. If he was a woman I would have no problem getting him a green card and it would only take about three months. Get rid of this discriminatory, unconstitutional law and treat LGBT people with the same equality and respect as any other citizen.

Caroline DeWalt in Pittsburgh:

My wife and I married in Connecticut, but we live in Pennsylvania. My place of employment provides domestic partnership benefits, but only with a lot of documentation that goes back at least 18 months, documentation that many of my straight married colleagues would be hard-pressed to provide. If I were straight, I could meet someone today, marry him tomorrow, and he’d be on my benefits the next day. My wife will have to wait until October to get the coverage we deserve because Pennsylvania does not consider her my wife. My employer was gracious enough to make an exception to some of the requirements, so that my wife can be enrolled by October, but once she has the benefits, I have to pay taxes on them because the federal government also doesn’t acknowledge our relationship because of DOMA.

President Obama supports DOMA repeal, and we elected Casey over Santorum because we needed a voice for LGBT people. Now it’s time for him to stand up and be that voice. Click here to tell Sen. Casey: Help constituents like these folks and support DOMA repeal!

Thanks for all you’re doing,

–Adam, Arisha, Cait, Rick, Ana and the rest of the team at the Courage Campaign

14 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Ann S.  |  October 3, 2011 at 11:59 am

§

• 2. Alan_Eckert  |  October 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

• 3. Ronnie  |  October 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Subscribing & sharing….

Lesbian Couple Talks About NY Town Clerk Who Rejected Their Request for a Marriage License: VIDEO: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/10/ledyardcouple.ht

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts talks with NY fiances Katie Carmichael and Deirdre Dibiaggio about the marriage clerk who refuses to do her tax payer funded job while stealing money from the local tax payers that make it possible for her to have a job….. She is an ingrate, & a thief…. PERIOD!!!…. <3…Ronnie:
    [youtube mnB-YU6ZULw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnB-YU6ZULw youtube]

• 4. Ronnie  |  October 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Asheville, NC: couples line up for marriage licenses – and will be denied, drawing attention to inequality with grassroots campaign http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com/2011/10/03/

"Go Asheville! Here is grassroots activism at its finest, with elected officials in full support. The Campaign for Southern Equality launched the WE DO Campaign today — three same-sex couples requested – and were denied – marriage licenses, pointing out the lack of marriage equality (already) in the state of NC."

<3…Ronnie

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  October 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Same-sex marriage supporters in Md. launch Web-video campaign:

Many of the New York ads weren’t quite as straight-laced. Larry King, the long-time talk show host who has married eight times, poked fun at himself in one spot.

“I know a thing or two about marriage … maybe three, maybe four,” King playfully told viewers. “Some of us can get married again and again, and others can’t get married at all. Can’t figure that out.”

• 6. bjasonecf  |  October 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm

UPDATE – Perry Case

Non-party Media Coalition files Motion to intervene in the 9th Circuit Appeal to unseal videos of the Perry case trial.

• 7. Alan_Eckert  |  October 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I see Fox News in that bunch =). Ironic because they will probably never air any of it.

• 8. bjasonecf  |  October 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Media Coalition's opposition to motion to stay pending appeal.

• 9. Beyce  |  October 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm

What about Boies and Olson? They had a deadline to file today. And Governor/Attorney General of California?

• 10. Kathleen  |  October 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Plaintiffs (Olson and Boies) haven't filed their brief yet. The Gov and/or AG may or may not weight in on this. There's no requirement for them to.

• 11. Kathleen  |  October 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

that should be "weigh" in (not weight). Also, just fyi, parties have until midnight PT to file.

• 12. PhillyKarl  |  October 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Casey is such a milquetoast. I campaigned for him – would have campaigned for a paperweight – anything to get rid of Santorum. But he won't stick his neck out for civil rights issues – way to bscared of not getting reelected in this toss-up state. It's time to light a fire under him….

• 13. Diana  |  October 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

The Yes on Prop 8 side will win. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Let no man put asunder. DOMA will not be repealed.

• 14. Ronnie  |  October 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

The yes on prop H8 side will lose. Marriage is between a man and a man, a man and a woman, or a woman and a woman. Let no human put asunder. DOMA WILL be repealed……… <3…Ronnie