Sen. Kay Hagan’s lesson on how to be a mushy mealy mouth

Marriage equality

Here’s Sen. Kay Hagan on her state’s pending amendment to discriminate against a group of people:

Senator Hagan implores elected officials everywhere to focus on lowering the nation’s unemployment rate and remains wary of attempts to alter constitutions in the heat of today’s charged political environment,” said Mary Hanley, a Hagan spokeperson.

The spokesperson issued the statement via email in response to the Washington Blade’s request for comment on whether Hagan opposes the measure, which will come before North Carolina voters in May 2012.

Sen. Hagan has a long history of tap dancing around whether she supports gay people or not (see Pam for more), but this just takes the cake. “…in the heat of today’s charged political environment?” What does that even mean? All it does is invite questions on whether she’d support the amendment if we were living in different times. It’s the kind of response that satisfies no one. It is a slap in the face to those of us who expect Democrats to stand up for basic civil rights and oppose divisive amendments. It won’t satisfy the homophobes. And it’ll just confuse the people in the middle on where she stands at all. It’s a mushy, mealy-mouthed statement, the kind I’ve seen rewritten 7 times by too-cautious political hacks before being released so that it’s practically incomprehensible, and if she and her staff had any backbone (or political brains) they would correct it right now.

• 1. Ann S.  |  September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Ugh.

• 2. jpmassar  |  September 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm

A History of DADT Repeal:

Part I: The Ecstasy and the Agony
    Part II: Protests and Handcuffs and Senators, Oh My!
    Part III: The Agony and the Ecstasy
    Part IV: All Servicemembers Are Now Created Equal. Sort Of.

• 3. Sagesse  |  September 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm

"Today's decision is bizarre for many reasons, but mostly because it defies a direct order of the U.S. Supreme Court," Andy Pugno, general counsel to the Protect Marriage coalition. "We will appeal immediately to the Ninth Circuit and ask them to restore some sanity to this case."

Good luck with that.

Prop 8 Trial Video To Be Released, Rules Federal Judge

• 4. Ronnie  |  September 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Subscribing & sharing…….

DADT has ended…..AWESOME!!!!!!!…….The Anonymous soldier who has been documenting his coming out process & counting down the days until DADT is dead has released a new heart wrenching edge of your seat video. (Hint: tissues next to your computer, iPad, smart phone, etc. while you watch this will come in handy.) ……. <3…Ronnie:

"Telling my dad that I am gay-LIVE":
    [youtube DVAgz6iyK6A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVAgz6iyK6A youtube]

• 5. karen in kalifornia  |  September 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Don't forget that openly gay businessman Jim Neal ran against Hagan. The Democratic party supported moderate Hagan not progressive Neal. So what else is new.

• 6. DaveP  |  September 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Aw dang it, Ronnie beat me to it!! : )

And double-dang it, there is no audio on this computer so I can't hear the audio from the Youtube video : /

Will have to watch again tomorrow on the other PC.

DADT is GONE !!!!

• 7. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  October 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm

[...] I see Gov. Perdue is trying to out-do Sen. Hagan when it comes to tepid statements opposing the taking away of civil rights: My top priority is creating jobs. Too [...]

• 8. Cass Cohn  |  November 11, 2011 at 8:16 am

I recently received Kay Hagan's mealy mouthed reply to my request that she support the repeal of DOMA..
    It has been many years since I have involved myself in the electoral process, but I am now ready to offer my support for any viable alternative to Kay Hagan's morally bankrupt whatever it takes to stay in office stance.