June 15, 2011
By Adam Bink
At the housekeeping shop, I’ve poked around and turned on some functions that should make things smoother here.
1. I changed a function so users on iPhones and other mobile phones can now post from mobile devices and have it appear on desktops and laptops. This may not apply to every mobile phone out there because IntenseDebate hasn’t reached every mobile phone yet; if it’s not working for you (irrespective of the comment getting moderated, which is a separate issue), leave a comment. Thanks to user “Kate” for alerting us to the problem on Tuesday.
2. You can now post images in comments.
3. You can now report inappropriate comments with a click. You will see the following text:
You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input.
Please fill this out and make an argument for why a comment is inappropriate. Note: this does not mean every comment you disagree with, or comments posted by those who do not think same-sex marriage should be legal. It does mean comments with homophobic, racist, sexist, etc. rhetoric, swearing and insults, and so forth. That’s been few and far between here and hopefully it continues to be!
4. I changed the setting so now up to 100 comments (the maximum) can be posted without having to scroll to page 2 or 3 or 10, and so there are fewer pages overall. You can see an example of this in the Q&A post with Shannon and Chris.
5. The two biggest problems still are overzealous moderating of comments, and some folks having trouble subscribing to comments. Rest assured we are still working hard on these problems and I’ll post updates as soon as they come in.