P8TT housekeeping: Improvements and more on the way

Community/Meta

At the housekeeping shop, I’ve poked around and turned on some functions that should make things smoother here.

1. I changed a function so users on iPhones and other mobile phones can now post from mobile devices and have it appear on desktops and laptops. This may not apply to every mobile phone out there because IntenseDebate hasn’t reached every mobile phone yet; if it’s not working for you (irrespective of the comment getting moderated, which is a separate issue), leave a comment. Thanks to user “Kate” for alerting us to the problem on Tuesday.

2. You can now post images in comments.

3. You can now report inappropriate comments with a click. You will see the following text:

You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate.  Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report.  The blog admin will be notified.  Thank you for your input.

Please fill this out and make an argument for why a comment is inappropriate. Note: this does not mean every comment you disagree with, or comments posted by those who do not think same-sex marriage should be legal. It does mean comments with homophobic, racist, sexist, etc. rhetoric, swearing and insults, and so forth. That’s been few and far between here and hopefully it continues to be!

4. I changed the setting so now up to 100 comments (the maximum) can be posted without having to scroll to page 2 or 3 or 10, and so there are fewer pages overall. You can see an example of this in the Q&A post with Shannon and Chris.

5. The two biggest problems still are overzealous moderating of comments, and some folks having trouble subscribing to comments. Rest assured we are still working hard on these problems and I’ll post updates as soon as they come in.

56 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  June 15, 2011 at 6:33 am

Love the new changes, but one thing seems to be broken. The quick link on the left to the latest posts are going to the blog, but not the specific comment, they all go to the top of the page, as if you had clicked on the blog's title instead of a specific post. I tested this in the FireFox4 and IE8.

• 2. LCH  |  June 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am really liking the new functionality and features, once I figured out that I needed to create log on. In many ways this is easier to use than the old system. Love it!

• 3. peterplumber  |  June 15, 2011 at 7:57 am

I oftentimes dont get the reply button. when this happens, all other replies which were made using the reply button are displayed as individual comments, and not linked to the original posting they are a reply to. Other times, it loads up fine.
    I don't understand why.

• 4. AnonyGrl  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:05 am

Just wanted to let you all know… I just came back from lobbying a dozen state senators in NY. We have 31 of the 32 necessary votes to get equality passed in the next few days CONFIRMED, and the rumors are flying (from what loook to be reliable sources… one member of the Assembly who one of our party knows chatted with us in the hallway, and others along the way who seem to be in the know) that there may be as many as a dozen (!) other Republicans poised to vote yes, but there are most certainly at least two or three.

So the feeling in the capitol building seemed to be that this is a done deal.

I am working really hard to not get my hopes up (because of course you never know WHAT might happen), but it does look like equality is going to happen in New York State this week.

yay.

• 5. jpmassar  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

TEST

• 6. jpmassar  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thanks for the hard work lobbying!

• 7. adambink  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

Which click link on the left? A link next to the username in the comment, like this, which should take people to peterplumber's comment below (and does for me)? Or something else? Thanks.

• 8. adambink  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:25 am

In which browser?

• 9. adambink  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:26 am

I have heard the same rumor re the 32nd coming out sometime today. Thanks for the hard work there.

• 10. Sheryl Carver  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:35 am

Good work & good luck, AnonyGrl!

It's the same with every vote & every judicial decision, isn't it? What should be a slam-dunk must always be treated as a nail-biter. So many politicians who claim to be for equal rights get cold feet. And some judges seem to be holdovers from the 18th century.

We SHALL get there! But we would like it to be NOW!

• 11. Gregory in SLC  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:49 am

Bless you AnonyGrl aka Ms. V! (and thank you everyone else in NY who have worked hard for your efforts!) Hoping this is true…what an delightfully agonizing week in NY for Anony, Ronnie and others!

• 12. Gregory in SLC  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

To Adam – why, when logged into Intense Debate, I already get a +1 thumbs up?

• 13. AnonyGrl  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:53 am

All the offices we visited were that swamped with calls. And it seems that NOM is getting their vote out, but late. Several aides told us that the early and steady calls had all been pro-equality, but the last minute push was heavily anti equality, rude and name calling, and heavily out of state calls. I think they put greater weight on the pro calls which have been coming in all along, and most were happy to see us smiling at them and thanking them for their time, their attention, and their bosses consideration of doing the right thing.

That tells me that calling NOW and being polite and thanking those on the fence for their consideration of the issue and encouraging them positively will do a lot for the cause, as much of the other crowd is calling and saying "You are going to HELL!!!" and screaming at these poor people who answer the phones.

• 14. AnonyGrl  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

Cause you are a +1 thumbs up kind of guy in our books? :)

• 15. Sheryl Carver  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:00 am

My previous comment to AnonyGrl seems to have been trapped in moderation, but trust it will soon be freed.

@ Adam:
    Thanks again for all the work you & your tech team are doing to fix the quirks. I, too, really like the new functionality & look.

Would that it could be as easy to get anti-equality folks to get on a new mental & attitude platform, one with functionality that would let them process that allowing others to have full civil rights in no way diminishes their own.

• 16. Bob  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:06 am

thanks so much AnonyGrl, for all your efforts ,,,, and for keeping us posted,,,, also keeping the issue alive and on the table,,,,, hope this encourages everyone in N.Y. to keep the phones busy,,,,,

also just want to add,, re getting your hopes up,,,,, it's true we never know WHAT might happen!!!!,,,, but at least we know it';s not for lack of effort,,,, keep up the good work,,,, and do it like there is no option but a win,,,,,,, sending encouragement from Canada……

• 17. Sheryl Carver  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

@ Adam:

I just clicked on the link in your comment (labeled "this") & it opened a new window at the top of this post, not peterplumber's comment.

I am using:
    MacBook Pro
    Safari 5.0.5

• 18. Lesbians Love Boies  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:29 am

It doesn't work for me either Adam. I am using Firefox, on a macintosh. On the right , under Recent Comments when you click on the blog entry name it used to anchor you to that particular comment (so you don't have to scroll down and find it.) Now it takes me to the top of blog page, and not that users comment.

This happens both when I am logged in to this website and logged off.

• 19. David Henderson  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:32 am

Because you're just that great!

(Actually it's probably because ID wants to promote people using their login to get the bonus, instead of using one of the other login methods.)

• 20. LesbosLoveBoies  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

hmm…doesn't work logged in to this site, logged in to intense debate or logged off.

• 21. adambink  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

Interesting. Will look into this as well

• 22. David Henderson  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

The issue is that at the time the page itself has finished loading, the comments section doesn't yet contain any comments. They get loaded later via JavaScript. So if you follow a link that includes an anchor target (say, "#IDComment162886734"), that anchor does not exist in the page until a few seconds after the page is done loading.

If you click a link like that within the page after the comments are loaded, it will navigate you there because the anchor already exists.

• 23. Elizabeth Oakes  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:05 am

Me neither, noted this before and looks like LLB and I use the same platform.

• 24. Jeff Tabaco  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

Minor thing, but I'm a stickler for spelling: in the sidebar, in the heading for the Twitter widget there's a typo in your username. It says "EQAULITYONTRIAL." :)

• 25. Elizabeth Oakes  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

Even happens if I wait for everything to load, but good hypothesis.

• 26. LesbosLoveBoies  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

Yes, same here. When the page is fully loaded, selecting a comment takes you absolutely nowhere, sort of like a javascript void.

• 27. LesbosLoveBoies  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Sheryl is also on a mac and having the same issues. I wonder what platform the original commenter is using.

• 28. the lone ranger  |  June 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

one interesting thing i’ve noticed is that if I use my dial-up at home(I know, I live in the stone ages), IntenseDebate doesn’t load, there’s no “reply” button to comments, and all replies appear time-sequentially instead of associated with comment they were intended with. Also, no comments have ratings, although I can rate them. If I turn on WiFi (piggy-backing off of a generous neighbor), then IntenseDebate loads and all of the accompanying bells and whistles load too. Interestingly, ratings I give under the non-IntenseDebate set-up don’t carry over when I look again with the WiFi on. Also, there’s no apparent moderation using dial-up, but there is if I use WiFi.

• 29. the lone ranger  |  June 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

so, that comment I typed at 10:46 (AZ local time), using dial-up, shows up immediately upon refreshing the page when viewed using dial-up (along with three other comments others made between 10:07 and 10:46), but when I switch to WiFi, the last comment I see was one made at 10:06, and all of the others are presumably still in moderation. Very strange, but perhaps these observations will help with working out what the greater issues are. Incidentally, I’m using the latest Safari on a Mac.

• 30. _BK_  |  June 15, 2011 at 11:17 am

Seeing quite a few comments about New York on this post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, of course, but you all are encouraging. I thought that the vote wasn't to go in our favor, and that we had no real chance. Phew! This is nerve-wracking! (deja-vu)

• 31. Gregory in SLC  |  June 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

thx you for detailed updates!

• 32. Carpool_Cookie  |  June 15, 2011 at 11:48 am

Yay! Thanks for doing the rounds! You are a treasure : )

• 33. Carpool_Cookie  |  June 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thanks for shepherding everyone through the updates, Adam : )

I am MUCH admiring all the birdie and puppy avatars that are appearing!! So cute and helpful!!

Can we install an "Avatar Spinner" for everyone else?

MY FELLOW POSTERS, WE CANNOT STAY FACELESS IN THIS FIGHT! COME OUT! COME OUT! EVEN IF IT'S JUST AS A PIC OF SNOOPY AS THE RED BARON!

• 34. Str8Grandmother  |  June 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I hope you win AnonGrl, I really hope you do.

• 35. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

An avatar other than you own actual face is still faceless Carpool_Cookie…serves no purpose
    IMHO :-)

• 36. JonT  |  June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I seem to have completely missed this post. :)

At anyrate, as Adam mentions, The repubs in NY adjourned without a vote to bring the bill to the floor. I find this worrysome considering the time constraints.

What also bothered me, from the gaycities article (http://www.gaycitynews.com/articles/2011/06/15/gay_city_news/news/doc4df8fe0b4a770319915288.txt) was the following:

Earlier in the day, Ball released a letter spelling out requirements for language he would need to see in the bill in order to support it. One of those requirements is that religious organizations be exempt from providing services to which they object on religious grounds — a demand that would seem to go well beyond the carve-outs already existing in New York law that Cuomo incorporated into his marriage equality program bill.

Are they going to just keep moving the goalposts until the clock runs out?

• 37. JonT  |  June 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I see the same issue. I'm using Kubuntu Linux 11.04 with Firefox 4.0.1.

Also when I get emails containing replies/comments to a post, there is a link that allows you to go to that specific comment. This also is very… flakey. Sometimes it takes me to the comment, sometimes it doesn't (just takes me to the top of the post page).

Maybe related…?

• 38. Carpool_Cookie  |  June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My "call to arms" was intended tongue-in-cheek…..but as you all know, I do like ANY avatar, rather than seeing a string of those anonymous blank silhouettes all in a row. It's like, "WHO"S posting, again??"

• 39. Carpool_Cookie  |  June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

It's hard to imagine what forthcoming services he's talking about…the growingly popular
    Holy Blessing of the Toaster Ovens?

• 40. JonT  |  June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

By the way – related to housekeeping – I've missed two posts today, (this one, and the 'one last push in NY' post). The Minneapolis post is the only one I received email notification about.

In addition, though I've since subscribed to all 3, I have received no comment emails.

• 41. Ann S.  |  June 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Missed this post, too. What's up with subscribing to posts?

• 42. Ann S.  |  June 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

If we win in New York, we *all* win.

• 43. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I gave up trying to subscribe….never seems to work for me.
    Love a lot of the other functions and features
    (still HATE the thumbs up and dwn rating however)

• 44. the lone ranger  |  June 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Adam, I made a couple of posts about 8 hours ago, that still haven't showed up yet, using my dial-up. I'm trying this comment out using WiFi. Is moderation taking that long?

• 45. adambink  |  June 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I haven't seen anything, and I've had to approve dozens of comments today. If it was moderated, I didn't see it.

• 46. the lone ranger  |  June 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm

reposting (via WiFi) earlier comments that don't seem to have shown up (originally posted via dial-up):

28. the lone ranger | June 15, 2011 at 10:46 am
    00Rate this

29. the lone ranger | June 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

• 47. Peterplumber  |  June 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

I continue to have incomplete loading of this page in IE8.
    Here is the error detail:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:17:52 UTC

Message: Syntax error
    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: http://tweetmeme.com/i/scripts/button.js

Message: ‘rcGlobal’ is undefined
    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.prop8trialtracker.com/2011/06/15/p8tt-housekeeping-improvements-and-more-on-the-way/

• 48. Sheryl_Carver  |  June 16, 2011 at 10:00 am

Lone Ranger, your problems when on dial-up sound much like what we all saw when using iPhones, before Adam & team got that fixed.

Since this comment will likely end up in moderation (thru NO fault of the P8TT team!), maybe your problems will be fixed by the time you see this.

• 49. peterplumber  |  June 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

I used my dog for my Avatar. Is that OK with you guys?? ;-)

• 50. Carpool_Cookie  |  June 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Your dog is adorable! NICE CHOICE!

• 51. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 16, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Very cute pooch Peter :-)

• 52. jerimee  |  June 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

It can be a hassle to login, but logged in users have their comments posted immediately.

• 53. jerimee  |  June 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Hmmm, seems that isn't always true either. Users have to be both logged in and have one comment previously manually approved, and even then maybe the comment will be moderated?

• 54. Jim  |  June 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

This is a great site, and have been following this site since Prop 8, however up until just recently the remarks were numbered, so one could zip down to where they last read. Say the last time I was in and I read all, say 56 comments, but now there are 92. I could just zip down to 57, and begin from there. I'm not very computer savy, but it appears the numbering system has disappeared, any reason?

• 55. Elizabeth_Oakes  |  June 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Oh lookie, a jump-to button in the Recent Comments menu!…except it didn't work when I just tried it….*pout*

• 56. spa baths  |  December 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hi there! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up for the excellent info
    you have got here on this post. I am returning to your
    web site for more soon.