Preview of Monday’s Prop 8 hearing coverage on Prop8TrialTracker.com

Background Prop 8 trial

Monday, June 13th will be the day of the big Prop 8 hearing, convened by Chief Judge James Ware, on whether Judge Walker’s decision should be overturned because of his sexual orientation and what to do with the video recordings. As our namesake indicates, you can bet we’ll be the best place on the web for coverage. A preview of coming attractions:

• The hearing will commence this Monday, June 13th at 9 AM PST in San Francisco at the Philip Burton courthouse. A ruling is not expected on the same day. Courage’s founder and chair Rick Jacobs, who blogged from the trial in January 2010, will be sending in dispatches from the courthouse, as will Arisha Michelle Hatch, our lawyer-cum-national field director. Courage’s new communications manager Ana Beatriz Cholo will also be in attendance, so we’ll have a lot of dispatches coming in. I know a lot of you will also be there — if you have photos and video to send in, send it to prop8trial AT couragecampaign DOT org and I’ll look forward to getting it up. And of course, comment away!
  • Shannon Minter of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the lead attorney on the original In re marriage cases of 2008 that led to equal marriage for same-sex couples before Prop 8, will be blogging here on the hearing, legal observations and what happens next. NCLR’s Chris Stoll, who along with Shannon did us the courtesy of answering lots of questions not once, but twice, will also be stopping by to provide his legal expertise. If you’re new or want to re-read the transcript full of legal Q’s and A’s, here’s the first one from August 23rd and the second from January 4th.
  • I also invited Roland Palencia, incoming Executive Director of Equality California, to stop by and provide his observations. As has been extensively covered and debated by many here on the blog and in the comments, EQCA is considering going back to the ballot to repeal Prop 8 in 2012.
  • Brian Leubitz of Calitics.com, who along with his husband have provided legal interpretation of the Prop 8 rulings, briefs, motions and other important legal movements, will also be providing his take on what happened and what’s next.
  • Last but not least, Rick and Arisha will be blogging here after the hearings with their thoughts on how the day went.
  • Finally, I will be tweeting from @equalityontrial and my own account @adamjbink during the trial, and Courage’s Ana Beatriz Cholo will be sending in photos, tweeting from @couragecampaign and @anaperiodista and posting updates on Facebook. So if you’re away from a computer or aren’t up for reloading the page a lot, you can follow updates on Twitter by following those accounts.

Looking forward to a busy and fun day here at P8TT. Who else will be there?

55 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Ann S.  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I'm hoping to be there!!

• 2. Edward  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

9am CA time? Ok, so that means 12 noon my time. What will I be doing at this time? I will be in the middle of my drive back to south Louisiana (New Orleans) to start apartment searching. This sucks lol. AnonGirl, Kathleen, Richard, ya'll all have my number, so please send me periodic updates, and feel free to call :)

• 3. peterplumber  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I won't be there, but I will be here! Refreshing as often as I can…

• 4. Reformed  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Ughh! NOM has stooped to a new low. On their little "definition of marriage" site the blog headline blares " Irish presidential candidate advocates lowering the age of consent for adult-child . . " The article goes on to mention that the candiate supports decriminalizing pedophilia in situations where procreation is not an issue. Oh snap! Responsible procreation! Then some idiot in comments suggests that the catholic pedophila scandal is . . . well, let me go back to copy and paste this. . . . an "intentional effort of the homosexual agenda". Dead wrong of course, but exactly the vicious sentiment that NOM was going for when posting this piece of garbage.

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  June 10, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Please take good notes and pictures : ) Is it going to be televised?

• 6. ĶĭŗîļĺęΧҲΪ  |  June 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Looking forward to June the 13th!
    I was hoping it will be televised, but, I guess, the anti-gay machine is working again.
    I'll be home, refreshing the page as in good ol' times.
    Hello to everyone from the summery Russia!

Edit:
    OMG! Finally an Edit button! Yay! That is just awesome!

• 7. davep  |  June 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I'll be here at work, but I'll be really distracted & thinking of you guys all day : /

Wish I could be there with you.

• 8. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Same as DaveP…I'll be at work and oh so distracted…just like during the trial. I am surprised I never got in trouble for all the work I DIDN'T get done while watching the blogging of the trial.
    I and the refresh button (F5) are long time friends
    hehehehehehehehehe

• 9. 415kathleenk  |  June 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I'll be there. Looking forward to seing the other P8TT folks

• 10. Lauren  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I'll be checking in from Sacramento! Thanks for your work on this!

• 11. Kathleen  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Mark, That was happening to me, too. I found that if I kept trying, eventually it worked and told me I was subscribed, but I must not have been, because I'm not getting emails. Now, I'm not even getting the confirmation emails.

• 12. Maggie4NoH8  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I know right!?!?!?!?!

LOL – me too

• 13. Bob  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I think I'm logged in again,,, to keep up with the big day on the 13th,,,, original Bob (the one from Canada, where marriage is accepted as one definition for all,,, it's not a delusion,,, not the Bob who is delusional in trying to impose his beliefs on society)

• 14. nightshayde  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I would suggest getting a gravatar so we can tell the pro-equality Bob from the pro-discrimination Bob without having to read the comments (thus making it easier to ignore the pro-discrimination drivel). Perhaps a handsome maple leaf?

• 15. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Highly frustrating….but still better than it was :-)

• 16. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Oh THAT Bob :-)
    hehehehehehe

• 17. davep  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Or a handsome hockey player. Or maybe a handsome lumberjack. Surprise us!

• 18. nightshayde  |  June 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Perhaps a handsome hockey player or a handsome lumberjack wearing not much more than a handsome maple leaf? ;)

• 19. Chris in Lathrop  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I wish I could go, but alas, I work that day. I won't even get to check until after my pre-op appointments! :(

• 20. Str8Grandmother  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I will be watching on Monday. I wish it were being video taped, which itself is rather ironic since part of the hearing is about the trial video tapes. I confess to enjoying watching Charles Cooper being out lawyerd (is that a word?) as we saw in the Appeals hearing by Olson & Boies.

It is disheartening how long this is taking. Since this trial started my grandchildren have now turned 3, when it started they were 18 months old. I wonder how old they will be by the time there is a Supreme Court decision, if there ever is one.

• 21. Alan E.  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I have a pocket of F5 keys for sale before Monday. Let me know if you are interested. If you weren't here for the Prop 8 trial last year, be ready to refresh your page every few seconds/minutes.

• 22. Kate  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Too funny! I'll take a few dozen of them.

• 23. Bonobo  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I’ll be here. F5′ing all the day. Hi all.

• 24. Kate  |  June 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Ummmm……… are you a tractor dealer??? (Isn't that the International Harvester logo?)

• 25. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  June 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I'll be needing a new index finger too please…oh and 1/2 doz f5 keys too pleased :-)

• 26. SFBay  |  June 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I get off work 7:30 Monday morning, but I will do my best to stick around here to see what is happening in the courtroom.

• 27. Sagesse  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

From New York

Strahan Joins Same-Sex Marriage Campaign

• 28. Sagesse  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Ban on Same-Sex Unions Lifted by California Episcopal Bishop

• 29. Straight 4 Equality  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I'll be a frequent refresher here in NH on Monday, following everything on this site. It's good to be retired! (The lack of a paycheck can be a downside, though.)

• 30. Sagesse  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

CNN's Don Lemon Belittles Rick Santorum Over Gay Rights Issue

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-hadro/2011/

• 31. Kim  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:23 pm

What happens if they decide not to overturn the decision?

• 32. Sagesse  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

From Minnesota

CNN's Don Lemon Belittles Rick Santorum Over Gay Rights Issue

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/matt-hadro/2011/

• 33. Sagesse  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Wrong link, obviously

Who's Paying for the Marriage Amendment Campaign?

• 34. truthspew  |  June 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I don't think they're going to overturn it. In fact I think they're going to just quash the motion.

• 35. Kate  |  June 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Strange — I can see Bonobo's comment on my iTouch but not here on my computer. What would cause that to happen?

I've missed you, Bo! How's Mom?

• 36. Steven  |  June 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm

if Judge Ware denies *most likely* the motion can anti-marriage equality appeal the decision to 9th Circuit?

• 37. Edward  |  June 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

And when you are losing….make excuses….

• 38. Lora  |  June 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

I'll be checking in from Sacto. too!
    June 13th is my parents 52nd wedding anniversary…so it needs to be a good day, all around!

• 39. Sagesse  |  June 11, 2011 at 5:30 am

Not new news, but uplifting on several levels.

All Are God's Children: On Including Gays and Lesbians in the Church and Society

• 40. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Ha. I am sure they will be delighted. I'll ask.

• 41. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

Very funny.

• 42. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

As far as I know, that means life goes on in the case, e.g. the California Supreme Court does their thing come the fall and the 9th Circuit does their thing after that.

• 43. adambink  |  June 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

Likely that you are blocking Javascript on your computer. check settings.

• 44. Sheryl Carver  |  June 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Hi, Adam!

Love the new look of P8TT!

I, too, am having a couple glitches. (I used to be a software engineer, so I am all too aware that this is normal.)
    1. Like Kate, I can see Bonobo's comment on my iPhone but not on my Mac. I did check my settings & Java & Javascript are both enabled. On my iphone, there are no threaded comments, nor does there appear to be a way to get them. Is this just during transition to the new platform, or do I need to do something on my phone, or ???

2. I can't expand the comment box by dragging the lower right corner the way I used to be able to. I can maneuver up & down using the box's scroll bar, but for a longer comment, I like to be able to see the whole thing. Note: if I try to expand the box toward the right (horizontally), the box stays the same size but the lines readjust as though the box had in fact expanded. The scroll bar also disappears as though it, too, had moved to the right.

3. This is more of a question. Is there a way to set a default so all comments are expanded so all replies show up, instead of having to click on each one?

Except for missing someone's comment, like Bonobo's, these are all minor things that I can live with.

Thanks again for all your work, & your tech team's work, too, Adam.

• 45. Sheryl Carver  |  June 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

3.a. After expanding all the comments on this page, I went to page 2. When I used my "back" button to return, all the comments had "unexpanded" again. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks again.

• 46. JonT  |  June 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

[Insert Twlight Zone Theme Music]

• 47. JonT  |  June 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Hmm.. I don't see any post from 'bonobo' either on firefox/linux nor on my android phone… I assume you mean on this post?

Can you post a link to the comment? You can get a comment link by moving your mouse over the 'elapsed time' on the comment header. Would be interesting to see if I can get to it directly via it's link.

• 48. Rhie  |  June 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh I'll be there!

• 49. Thom Watson  |  June 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My partner Jeff and I will be there as part of the Marriage Equality USA contingent and rally.

• 50. Sheryl Carver  |  June 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm

@JonT:
    Comments on my iPhone appear very much as they did before the latest upgrade – no threads. Yes, Bonobo’s comment is on this thread, but I can’t figure out how to get a link using my phone, & cannot see the comment when I’m on my Mac. I just did a copy/paste on my phone, so you can see what appears on my iPhone.

23. Bonobo  |  June 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I’ll be here. F5′ing all the day. Hi all.

• 51. Sheryl Carver  |  June 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

Perhaps I've found part of the problem with Bonobo's missing comment, OR found a new problem. Last night I used my iPhone to view Bo's comment & copy it into one of mine, so others could see it. Lo & behold, today I couldn't find MY comment. Used my iPhone & there is was. So, I copied my comment (with Bonobo's included) here. Don't know what Bo was using for the original "missing comment" but maybe it was an iPhone?

Here's the copy from last night:

50. Sheryl Carver | June 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm

@JonT:
    23. Bonobo | June 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm
    I’ll be here. F5′ing all the day. Hi all.

• 52. James Tuttle  |  June 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’m excited for tomorrow. Is there any Particular time frame for this sort of thing?

• 53. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  June 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

[...] you missed the preview of today’s coverage that was posted on Friday, today Courage’s Rick Jacobs, Arisha Hatch and Ana Beatriz Cholo will be sending in [...]

• 54. Marlene  |  June 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

That it is!

• 55. buy ammo  |  April 16, 2014 at 2:06 am

Whats up very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb ..I
    will bookmark your blog and take thhe feeds additionally?

I am satisfied to search out numerous helpful info her in
    the post,we’dlike deveoop more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .