P8TT housekeeping: Subscribing to new posts and comment moderation

Community/Meta

Per popular request, it’s now possible again to subscribe to new post notification in your inbox as you do for comments.

If you have an account (and you should) and are logged in, you will see this at the bottom right of the sidebar:

Click on the link and it will take you to your profile where you can manage subscriptions of categories of posts about which you want to be notified about. Prop 8-Briefs, marriage equality, DOMA repeal, whichever you like.

If you do not have an account, create one by registering at the top right of the page, underneath the bear logo. You will need this to avoid entering CAPTCHA for every comment.

If you do not have an account or are not logged in, you will see this instead at the bottom right:

Where you can subscribe as well.

The other thing is that settings for comment moderation is back to holding the comment if there are 6 or more links in it, rather than 2 or more. This is to protect against spam, of which we are getting hit with a lot right now (though the system is working and moderating it). But some folks had been getting hit for leaving 2 links in the comments, so we adjusted it back.

The last two days we’ve had a gigantic spam attack and so some comments were held in moderation accidentally. I have gone through with a machete and cleaned everything out and posted the ones accidentally held. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the patience during transition and hope you like the feature.

Update: Someone asked how you can receive notifications of posts in HTML.

The answer is that the default registration when you sign up for post notification is plain text. Go to the bottom right of this screen to manage your subscription preferences. You will see a screen like this (click to enlarge if you need to):

And you see at the top choices between HTML and plain text. Subscribe for whatever you prefer. If you mistakenly signed up and forgot to change the default from plain text, go to the bottom right of the screen and it takes a few seconds to change it and update.

Update 2: We’ve installed some nifty devices that are taking care of the spam attack as well as the overzealous comment moderating system. I haven’t received a single normal user comment that’s been moderated in the last 18 hours or so, but if yours is, drop me a line. But everything should be snazzy now.

• 1. Dave in ME  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:14 am

I'm so confused!

This seems more complicated than it used to be. If I'm logged into my wordpress account, I still have to have a separate P8TT account? I think I used to be able to manage it all together.

Also, the email notifications I get now are all simply text without any formatting and not even the complete text anymore. It's sometimes easier to read my email than to read a website here at work. Also, I DO get formatted updates like the old ones were, but when I click on the link, they are not found, such as the hockey story (which is up now) and Adam Bink's surgery posting.

I am not sure why this change was made, but *I* was very happy with the way it was. I do not like the way it is now. (And I am not sure I like being told that I SHOULD have an account anywhere, even here).

(grumpy) Dave in Maine

• 2. Menergy  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:18 am

Seems I can't log back in although I had an account, a user name, and a password which haven't changed….

• 3. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:29 am

I too would like to see comments, as well as posts, in HTML, if that could be arranged.

• 4. Adam Bink  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:39 am

@Dave:

1. We are on WordPress.com instead of WordPress.org, which is likely why you need a separate account. I will doublecheck for you, but my login process takes about 1.8 seconds each day. The reason is because I registered and instructed my computer to remember me and password. Now, I go to P8TT, my information is all put in, I see the log in box on the top right, click Submit, and I'm ready to comment. I am not exaggerating when I say it literally takes me one click of the button to get ready to comment every morning.

2. When you registered for e-mail, did you make sure to check off the box for receiving e-mail in HTML? The default is text. Go to manage your subscription options at the bottom right corner of this screen and change it.

3. If you don't want an account, you don't have to have an account. You just have to enter the CAPTCHA code, which also takes about 1.8 seconds, when you comment. It's your choice. You can avoid entering CAPTCHA by having an account and taking a second to login. Or you can enter it when you leave a comment. What we can't have, as evidenced by the spam attack of the last 48 hours, is posts filled with comments about casinos and cheap flights to Phuket, which CAPTCHA helps guard against.

4. The surgery post was mistakenly posted on the old account. It will be posted here shortly.

• 5. Adam Bink  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:40 am

@Menergy E-mail andy kelley at "andy at couragecampaign dot org". Andy is taking over the reins for the weekend while I go under and is a point of contact while I'm gone, and can help you work through your problem.

• 6. Adam Bink  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

I will add you also don't need an account to subscribe to posts. Comments are not mandatory. It's your choice how much time you want to spend. I find it easier with an account.

• 7. Adam Bink  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:54 am

Replying to myself, rather, I meant to say accounts are not mandatory. It's up to you.

• 8. Kathleen  |  May 13, 2011 at 1:48 am

UPDATE: Perry

Plaintiffs' Opposition to Proponents' motion to vacate judgment

Declaration in support of Plaintiffs' Opposition w/attached exhibits

• 9. Kathleen  |  May 13, 2011 at 2:42 am

UPDATE: Perry

Order from Judge Ware, placing Walker's copy of the trial recording under seal, pending the hearing:

• 10. AnonyGrl  |  May 13, 2011 at 2:57 am

Replying to myself, rather, I meant to say accounts are not mandatory. It’s up to you.

Comments ARE mandatory. :)

Actually, they aren't, but this is just to encourage lurkers to speak up from time to time, as we like to hear from you. Say hello, collect your cookies and MILK!

• 11. Kathleen  |  May 13, 2011 at 3:10 am

UPDATE: Perry

Amicus Brief from Lambda Legal, ACLU, NCLR and EQCA in opposition to vacating judgment:

• 12. SoCal Dave  |  May 13, 2011 at 4:38 am

@AnonyGrl. Hello!! Daily lurker, infrequent poster here. I forgot one gets cookies and MILK with every post. With that in mind, I think I'll be piping up more often ;-)

• 13. JonT  |  May 13, 2011 at 4:41 am

@8. Kathleen, from Plaintiffs’ Opposition to Proponents’ motion to vacate judgment:

'Lastly, Proponents’ motion to vacate provides yet another reason for this Court to lift the protective order covering the videotaped trial proceedings and release them to the public. It is tellingthat at precisely the same time they attack Judge Walker’s impartiality and argue that his decisionwas based not on the evidence but rather on bias, Proponents are fighting tooth-and-nail to suppressthe video record of the trial and keep the public from seeing for themselves the fair and impartialmanner in which Judge Walker presided and the overwhelming evidentiary record that not onlysupports, but indeed compels, the decision that Proponents belatedly attack. Now that Proponentshave publicly questioned the integrity of Judge Walker, the integrity of the proceedings, and thus theintegrity of the judicial system, it is all the more important that the public have access to whatactually occurred at trial.'

Neat way to tie the issues together :)

• 14. AnonyGrl  |  May 13, 2011 at 5:00 am

@ SoCal Dave

Today we are featuring Peanutbutter Chocolate Chip Cookies, still warm and melty from the oven, and ice cold MILK, which can have some chocolate syrup if you like.

For those who are not chocolate fans, we do have some lovely Vanilla Wafers, which re crisp and tasty. We also have some strawberry Quik if you like that sort of thing for your MILK.

• 15. SoCal Dave  |  May 13, 2011 at 8:58 am

@ AnonyGrl, You had me at Peanutbutter Chocolate Chip… all the rest is icing on the cake.

oh…. cake….mmmmm… that too.

Thanks for the warm greetings.

• 16. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

Watching the circus.

DOMA Defense: Lawmakers Puzzled Where House GOP Is Getting The Money To Pay Paul Clement

• 17. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 11:06 am

Caroline Kennedy urges Obama to back gay marriage

• 18. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

Archbishop Timothy Dolan: Legalizing Gay Marriage Could Make "1984" Non-Fiction Reading

• 19. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

More from New York.

Gay-marriage groups sending mailer to hundreds of thousands of households

• 20. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

Poll: Majority of Minnesotans oppose anti-gay marriage amendment

• 21. Ann S.  |  May 13, 2011 at 11:39 am

Sagesse, your link at #16 has me hoping someone actually goes to jail over the House hiring Clement to defend DOMA without figuring out where the money was going to come from. I didn't know before today that that was a crime.

• 22. Dave in Maine  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

@Adam-

Thanks for your reply! Just so you know, that 1.8 seconds is a valuable 1.8 seconds I could use to watch pattycake kitty cats on teh Youtube.

Anyway, I have signed up and it was a piece of cake and I checked all my options and everything's grand! Sorry to have sounded like a dink!

Thanks!

Dave in Maine

• 23. Dave in Maine  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Oh, yeah. I want leave a link too:

Two felines square off in patty cake showdown:

• 24. Ann S.  |  May 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

@Dave, I'm not that into cats, but that went on my FB page.

• 25. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 9:40 pm

You can always tell when it's Saturday morning and I'm catching up on my reading. This is wonderful.

• 26. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Wouldn't it be great.

Tammy Baldwin Urged To Seek Herb Kohl's Senate Seat

• 27. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

The sound of silence. There were no amicus briefs in support of Proponents. I so wanted to see the arguments they would use.

LGBT Equality Groups unify in Prop 8 Brief to Leave Prop 8 Judge Alone

• 28. Sagesse  |  May 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

"Victoria Cobb, president of the Family Foundation of Virginia, countered that Virginians speak more clearly at the ballot box than in polls."

Virginians are almost evenly split on gay marriage, Post poll finds