Helping Sen. Udall see the writing on the wall

DOMA Repeal

I had written previously about our efforts to bring Sens. Bingaman and Udall onboard to support Sen. Feinstein’s legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. Last week, we delivered the signatures of over 1,000 New Mexicans calling on them to support repeal of DOMA delivered by Cleve Jones and a New Mexican couple.

Today, we want to make them see the writing on the wall. Facebook, wall that is.

Below is what Sen. Udall’s Facebook wall currently looks like (Click once and then again to enlarge):

It goes down like that for several pages. This is important because Sen. Udall’s representatives pay attention, and because when other New Mexicans visit, as they do almost daily to ask him to take action on taxes, Medicare, and other issues, and they notice over a hundred messages on the same topic, they stop and look and learn. And maybe even join in.

Add your name by clicking here and writing on his Facebook wall, asking Sen. Udall to support repeal.

Below is the e-mail we sent to New Mexico Courage Campaign members. And rest assured we’re not letting Sen. Bingaman off the hook.

Courage Campaign
Dear Adam,

Last week, over a thousand of you signed a petition to Sens. Bingaman and Udall, asking them to support the Sen. Feinstein’s legislation to repeal DOMA. New Mexican activists joined renowned activist Cleve Jones to deliver your petition in person.

But they still have not heard us. They just don’t see the writing on the wall. Their Facebook wall, that is. Sen. Bingaman doesn’t allow constituents to post on his wall, but Sen. Udall does, so let’s make our voices heard.

Show how many of you are out there. Click here to write on Sen. Udall’s Facebook wall and ask him to co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act.

Every day, New Mexicans leave messages for their Senators, asking them to support this or that. But rarely do hundreds, or over a thousand people, write the same thing. We want to show a clear sign of support for this bill so the other people viewing their Wall – including the media – see how much support there is for the “Respect for Marriage Act.”

Many of you supported Sens. Bingaman and Udall in their campaigns for office. Isn’t it time they supported you… and heard about it?

Click here to tell Sen. Udall to support DOMA repeal. If you voted for, volunteered for, or contributed to his campaigns, let him know that, too.

Thanks for all you do,

Adam Bink

Director of Online Programs, Courage Campaign

P.S. Like the work we are doing together? Be sure to connect with Courage Campaign on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CourageCampaign.

• 1. jpmassar  |  May 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I went to the Facebook link, but as someone with a Facebook account who never uses Facebook, I don't know how to write on his wall.

I can't find anything on that page that indicates what to do to leave a message on his wall.

Help?

• 2. LCH  |  May 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Done!

♀♀=♂♂=♀♂=∑♡

• 3. Kathleen  |  May 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm

@jpmasser(1) Make sure you're logged into your account, click on the "Like" button at the top of the page and then you should be able to leave a comment on his wall.

• 4. jpmassar  |  May 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

@Kathleen.

Thanks! If someone has designed a less intuitive user interface than Facebook's I have yet to run across it.

• 5. Michelle Evans  |  May 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I resubscribed to P8TT through the link at the lower right corner, but have not received any updates even though new posts have gone up. Also, when I try to sign in, with the same info I've always had since day one, it no longer recognizes me at all. This new system is very frustrating and I hate to lose the connection with our community here, but I can't keep spending the time checking to see if new stuff is up all the time.

• 6. Michelle Evans  |  May 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Now the system is telling me that I cannot even re-register from scratch. I just went through the process, and it says it sent me an email confirmation, but nothing comes through. (And yes, I'm checking Spam, too). I keep trying but am about to give up and move on.

• 7. Sagesse  |  May 12, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Fresh Details on King & Spalding’s DOMA Withdrawal

• 8. Sagesse  |  May 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

He has a lower profile than some of the anti-equality crowd, but Chuck Colson is an obnoxious man.

Perverting Democracy: Gay 'Marriage' and the Law

• 9. Sagesse  |  May 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm

FRC Praises Armed Services Committee for Upholding Defence of Marriage Act, Religious Liberty

• 10. Sagesse  |  May 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Testimony in Minnesota: a chance to contribute to the debate

Same-sex marriage in Minnesota: Your turn to speak up

• 11. Adam Bink  |  May 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

@Michelle E-mail me.

• 12. Michelle Evans  |  May 13, 2011 at 8:55 am

Adam, I sent an email. Hope it got through okay. Not sure if I have the correct address for you.

• 13. air jordan  |  May 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’d have to consent with you one this subject. Which is not something I usually do! I really

like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my

mind!