New Mexicans demand Sens. Bingaman and Udall support DOMA repeal

DOMA Repeal

Yesterday, Courage Campaign, Progress New Mexico and Democracy for New Mexico members asked Sens. Bingaman and Udall to co-sponsor DOMA repeal. They support would make them the 23rd and 24th Senators to support Sen. Feinstein’s bill.

Last week, over 1,000 Courage members in Wisconsin wrote to Sen. Kohl, asking him to become the 10th vote we need to pass DOMA repeal through the Senate Judiciary Committee. Our efforts were covered yesterday in the Washington Blade. Previously, we worked with OutFront Minnesota to get Sen. Klobuchar onboard. As I’ve written, we’re going one by one on the way to 60.

Sign here (especially if you’re a New Mexican) to ask Sens. Bingaman and Udall to support DOMA repeal.

Some examples of messages from New Mexicans to the Senators:

I did indeed work for Sen. Udall and contribute to his campaign and have also supported Sen. Bingaman.  We have been fortunate to have these Senators and I know they will do the RIGHT thing and vote to repeal the federal DOMA.  Sarah and I have lived in NM for 9 years and love it’s diversity.  Unfortunately, that does not include acceptance of our 33 year relationship.  Thanks for supporting us! -Chris in Albuquerque

I voted for Senators Bingaman and Udall and I expect both senators to uphold the Democratic Party platform of New Mexico which recognizes the rights of all its citizens.  DOMA is an abomination and should be done away with and I expect my senators to be leaders in this effort. -Christy in Las Cruces

I hope that you will add your strong support to the repeal of DOMA being considered in the Senate.  My lifepartner and I have been together for nearly 25 years in a committed relationship.  DOMA bars us from most of the rights and privileges enjoyed by those who can enter into heterosexual civil marriages.  That is not only unjust, but it makes our lives much less secure.  Please lend your support to removing this oppressive measure from U.S. law. -Kenneth in Albuquerque

What are you thinking Senator Udall?  To quote your blog of February 3, 2010 03:00 PM “As I remarked at the Committee hearing, quoting Republican Barry Goldwater, ‘You don’t have to be straight to shoot straight.’ And being gay certainly shouldn’t disqualify service members from protecting our national security in vital positions such as fighter pilots or Arabic translators.”  Are you telling me that we are good enough to protect our national security (and possibly die for our country) but we don’t deserve basic human rights?  Rethink your position on DOMA and do the right thing Senator! -Maggie of Pena Blanca

An e-mail to our members from a lesbian couple — Barb and Mary Ellen of Democracy for New Mexico — is below.

From: Mary Ellen and Barb, for Courage Campaign
Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Subject: Ask Sens. Bingaman and Udall to support DOMA repeal!
To: Adam Bink

Courage Campaign
Dear Adam,

The reason we decided as a same-sex couple to move to Albuquerque 18 years ago was because we knew people would be fair-minded — including our representatives in Congress. We supported the campaigns of Sens. Bingaman and Udall — voting, volunteering, donating, and blogging — because we knew they were supportive.

So imagine our surprise when we found out that neither Senator is a co-sponsor of legislation to repeal the “Defense of Marriage Act” (DOMA) — legislation that would provide critical protections for us and other families in New Mexico.

Please join us to ask Sens. Bingaman and Udall to become the 23rd and 24th Senators to support Sen. Feinstein’s legislation to repeal DOMA. We’ll deliver your message in person.

Since 2006 we have been watching New Mexico Domestic Partnership bills get defeated in our Legislature. We have been devastated each time one fails, sometimes by very close margins.

But over the past month, we’ve seen huge gains in the long march towards DOMA repeal. Just a few days ago, the Courage Campaign led the effort to get Sen. Kohl (D-Wis.) to become the tenth vote necessary to pass the bill through the Senate Judiciary Committee. Over 1,000 Courage Campaign members from Wisconsin responded to this call to action. We now have 22 Senate co-sponsors of the bill, and now it’s New Mexico’s turn.

Join me in urging Sens. Bingaman and Udall to support our families.

Now’s the time for Sen. Bingaman and Sen. Udall to support our future together as a committed couple in sickness and health. As we grow older we need the same securities afforded other New Mexicans. By co-sponsoring legislation that will repeal DOMA, we will be able to dream of a day off in the future when we might be married here in this Land of Enchantment state.

Repealing DOMA moves us closer to that dream. Sens. Bingaman and Udall are key to moving this bill forward. They should be on our side, but they need you to remind them to come out and publicly support repeal by co-sponsoring the bill.

Speak up for equality in New Mexico. Ask Sens. Bingaman and Udall to support repeal of DOMA.

We did our part. Now it’s time for them to do theirs.

Sincerely,

Mary Ellen & Barb

Courage Campaign members

51 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Alan E.  |  April 28, 2011 at 4:43 am

working hard, following this later

• 2. Kathleen  |  April 28, 2011 at 4:44 am

• 3. Ann S.  |  April 28, 2011 at 4:53 am

§

• 4. Rhie  |  April 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

Scribin

• 5. Kathleen  |  April 28, 2011 at 5:07 am

The notice that just came through on the Perry listserve is just the 9th Circuit order being placed on the district court's docket. Nothing new.

• 6. Sagesse  |  April 28, 2011 at 5:14 am

For later.

• 7. Maggie4NoH8  |  April 28, 2011 at 5:28 am

OK boys and girls… I am originally from NM, so I am really, really hoping they get on board. I've signed on (and working an inside track to Udall), bugged all my friends/relatives in NM and encouraging everyone here to send an email…

• 8. Lesbians Love Boies  |  April 28, 2011 at 5:38 am

I did the same, have many family members and friends in New Mexico.

• 9. Straight for Equalit  |  April 28, 2011 at 6:12 am

• 10. DaveP  |  April 28, 2011 at 6:15 am

Signed it and added a comment about how DOMA is nothing more that legislated bigotry based on hate and ignorance.

• 11. be4marriage  |  April 28, 2011 at 6:16 am

I have a good idea for this website while we are waiting for the California Supreme Court to respond to the questions posed to it. You should re-brand the site as Prop8VacationTrackers and follow the justices during their summer break!

• 12. bJason  |  April 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

ouch – LOVE IT!!!!

• 13. rf  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

Not sure if someone posted this but thought it was interesting. Louis is asking for money to buy a plane ticket back to the US. He has confirmed that the bus/RV is still around so maybe he can head up a summer equality tour. http://louisjmarinelli.com/bring-me-home

• 14. Kate  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:20 am

The bus/RV is "still around?" Does that mean that Louis would actually have access to it? Seems unlikely, if it was NOM's bus. And if it was a rental, then that sounds like a huge expense for one guy.

• 15. Reformed Conservativ  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:24 am

• 16. AnonyGrl  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:37 am

Honestly, I can think of about 40,000 better things to spend money on.

Sorry, but there it is.

• 17. rf  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:46 am

Well I agree, I'm not sending anything. I'd rather give the money to Courage Campaign instead. I do think it was his bus not NOM's though, from what I remember. He said it was in Reston VA, so if its not his he knows where it is if you can believe what he says. lol

• 18. Bob  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

Hey Louis,,,, what about the girlfriend???? here's a suggestion,,,,, you don't have to come home to fight for equality,,,,, pull up your sleeves and go to work where you are Russia needs your help and expertize,,, get in touch with the gay organizations right where you are and get to work…. cheers Bob

• 19. bJason  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:56 am

Agreed.

Best of luck to him getting home and all…

This plea for money from Louis (hi, Louis) actually tarnishes my recently (partially) polished image of him.

Pondering.

• 20. Kate  |  April 28, 2011 at 7:57 am

I'd help if we knew for sure he could get some serious media time debating Maggie.

• 21. adambink  |  April 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

That's great! We are planning a delivery on this and will have video.

• 22. Kathleen  |  April 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

UPDATE: LCR v. USA (DADT case)

Government's Reply Brief: http://www.scribd.com/doc/54169868

• 23. Ronnie  |  April 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

= ……….<3…Ronnie

• 24. elliom  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

Is it just me, or does this brief sound like a whole lot of whining, with very little substance. I get the feeling of "I'm right, you're wrong, shut up!"

• 25. Sagesse  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

Well this is obnoxious.

Cipollini presses openly gay SJC nominee on same-sex marriage

• 26. Sagesse  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:16 am

It's more like.

"No no no no no. You weren't liiiistening to me when I said all this the first time."

• 27. elliom  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

When you have to point out something is OBVIOUS as many times as they do (it's OBVIOUS the case will soon be moot, it's OBVIOUS LCR doesn't have standing, it's OBVIOUS their members aren't real members, it's OBVIOUS the district court overstepped), what're you're really saying is you have no arguement, and you have to rely on the OBVIOUSNESS of your point, because you can't substantiate it. Echos of "we don't need proof, your honor?"

• 28. Kathleen  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

Despicable.

• 29. JonT  |  April 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

• 30. Tony Douglass In Ca  |  April 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Hmm, asking for money to get home, really?

Go to Russia without an exit plan, son?

• 31. AnonyGrl  |  April 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

In the article, Cipollini said "I am tired of attempts by the court to redefine common words … especially those that we hold dear, like marriage. Will the definition of spaghetti be next?"

Nope… just like marriage, when homosexuals enjoy spaghetti, it is still spaghetti.

• 32. DaveP  |  April 29, 2011 at 1:54 am

Hee hee. well said. Although I like to think that when some of us gays make spaghetti is is just a little better than 'traditional' spaghetti.

Ask me about my fabulous recipe for spaghetti with clam sauce!

• 33. Cleve Jones and LGBT New &hellip  |  May 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

[...] wrote last week about partnership with ProgressNow New Mexico and Democracy for New Mexico to bring Sens. Bingaman [...]

• 34. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

[...] had written previously about our efforts to bring Sens. Bingaman and Udall onboard. Last week, we delivered the signatures [...]

• 35. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  May 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

[...] than 1,000 Courage Campaign members joined with Progress Now New Mexico and the Democracy for New Mexico blog to petition Senator [...]

• 36. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  July 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

[...] that thousands of members of the Courage Campaign, Progress New Mexico and Democracy for New Mexico wrote to Sen. Bingaman, demanding that he support repeal of DOMA (video of the petition delivery can be found here). While [...]

• 37. zamwire  |  October 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hey yall. I am currently reading Ashley Judd's book entitled "All that is Bitter and Sweet". It is very inspirational and thought provoking. Especially if you have ever dealt with depression. In the book, Ashley describes her journey from childhood, experience with depression, to her current humanitarian work. – http://www.freebostonmarketcoupons.com

• 38. khalid  |  December 4, 2011 at 5:02 am

very nice.
    keep up it.and post more..
    thank you for sharing it…………..
    organic skin care

• 39. Røykeslutt  |  December 16, 2011 at 9:57 am

very good information in here.go ahead with your important writing.thanks for sharing it.

• 40. Natural SEO  |  December 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Thanks!The blog article very surprised to me! Your writing is good. In this I learned a lot!

• 41. san antonio dentists  |  December 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

First I must tell you we appreciate the great and informative entry.Need to admit that I never learned about this review, I noticed many new facts, in my opinion. God bless you for sharing this information useful and interesting and I also will probably anticipate other interesting posts you closer to the inside future.keep.

• 42. body fat scale reviews  |  January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

This is really a helpful post. I’ve learned a lot by exploring this website and I’m so glad that I have got something to learn from your post. I hope there will be more informative post from you like this one.

• 43. apps for kids  |  January 8, 2012 at 6:57 am

Really very good article.thanks for sharing.Go ahead.

• 44. zackmiller091  |  January 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

• 45. Jogos Online&hellip  |  January 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

Games…

[...]just below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, however, they are definitely worth checking out[...]…

• 46. digital led signs  |  February 15, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application. It contains truly information. Your website is very useful. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more!

• 47. Holistic Retreats  |  March 4, 2012 at 6:35 am

Valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application. It contains truly information. Your website is very useful. i like it almost.thank you for sharing this.

• 48. Sweetwater Austin  |  April 29, 2012 at 3:09 am

Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful for me! I'll post a link to this page on my blog. I'm sure my visitors will find useful.

• 49. cscp  |  August 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Just found something I was searching for. It’s tough to show you how much happy I’m to get the thing I needed. The describing style was really a little different from others.

• 50. best toddler toys  |  October 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is my first time I visit here. I found so many interesting stuffs in your blog especially its discussion. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your web page. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC.

• 51. jebaakterdr  |  November 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hi,
    I totally agree that every new habit begins with mental shifts
    Dr.Kimo metode for røykeslutt behandling med hjelp av naturmedisin, Over 83 % slutte å røyke og forbli røykfrie,
    If you want to know more about it then please Follow the link http://www.drkimo.no