Tiny violins for NOM’s social media

NOM Exposed

Got this in my inbox the other day (bolding mine):

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dear Marriage Supporter,

Have you visited our new Facebook page yet?

Check it out today at www.facebook.com/NationForMarriage.

facebook.com/NationForMarriage

It’s the new home on Facebook for all things marriage-related. Click here to visit and “Like” the new NOM Facebook page, ensuring that all the latest news shows up in your newsfeed.

Even if you’re not a Facebook user, you can check out the page regularly for news, information and conversation about marriage (although you have to be a Facebook user to post comments).

Many of you have asked what happened to the “Protect Marriage: One Man, One Woman” Facebook page. As I mentioned in last week’s newsletter, Louis Marinelli helped build the Facebook page to almost 300,000 supporters, and wanted to use that page to help further NOM’s work. But unexpectedly, 10 days ago Louis assumed sole control of the page, announced a sudden change of heart, and relaunched it with support from same-sex marriage activists.

Many of the page’s fans have felt betrayed, and thousands have already “unliked” the page. While we wish Louis all the best personally, we’re obviously disappointed that he would deprive nearly 300,000 marriage supporters of their Facebook community.

That’s why we want to build this new, secure, page into the largest Facebook page supporting marriage, and we need your help.

Here’s what I’m asking you to do:

1. LIKE IT! Click here to visit and “Like” the new NOM Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NationForMarriage. And after you like the page, come join the conversation, helping to make “NationForMarriage” a vibrant community of marriage supporters from all across the nation and around the world.

2. SHARE IT! Help spread the word to your friends and online networks. You can share this email via Facebook and Twitter, or post a short statement in your Facebook status, letting your friends know about NOM’s new page. (“I’m liking http://www.facebook.com/NationForMarriage because I believe marriage is the union of a husband and wife. Join me in taking a stand for marriage today!”)

3. Finally, if you’re still a member of the “Protect Marriage: One Man, One Woman” (yes, that’s still the name) Facebook page, click here to visit and “unlike” the page. The unlike button is at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar when you visit the page.

Thanks for standing with us in this fight for marriage. We’re excited about this opportunity to reach out to new marriage supporters and hope that you’ll join us in spreading the word.

Brian Brown

As of this post, even after that e-mail, just 2,535 people have liked NOM’s new Facebook page. Isn’t that kind of a slow pace, Brian, given the “1 million for marriage” you keep boasting about?

Here’s what I bet, though — NOM won’t get back to the peak of 291,000. Why? Because they’re now in the ever-shrinking minority (well, and because they’re clueless at social media — see their crap-tastic mile-long e-mails and violations on Facebook logo protocol).

• 1. Alyson  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

'crap-tastic' – love it. I guess I better go check out louis's (right grammar?) page now and like it. Not that I'm oppositional or anything.

• 2. Ed  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm

OT, but does anyone else see this as a possibility?

• 3. Ed Cortes  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm

checking – the box and the page

• 4. Lesbians Love Boies  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I couldn't believe that I would ever press the like button on that one man-one woman facebook page. When I did it was surreal. I had to post about it. Not that many of the posters that are left there feel betrayed and some have even begun to engage in civil discussions (not all though : ).

• 5. Lesbians Love Boies  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:23 pm

• 6. Ronnie  |  April 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm

pfffft…..(rolls eyes) …. 8 / …Ronnie

• 7. Straight for Equalit  |  April 21, 2011 at 12:24 am

Subs now, read after.

• 8. Kate  |  April 21, 2011 at 12:34 am

I felt the same way. And I fretted about my friends seeing that "like" activity showing up on their own feeds. After a while, I just couldn't stand being one of NOM's alleged fans and "unliked" it. Too bad "unlikes" don't also show up.

• 9. BK  |  April 21, 2011 at 12:54 am

*yawn*

This is sad, pathetic, yet mildly amusing. It's like watching a fish (an evil fish) flop around on dry land without a chance of landing back in the water.

• 10. Sagesse  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:01 am

On the other hand, NOM is providing employment for tiny violins in these difficult economic times.

• 11. BK  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:08 am

Sorry to post again – I've never seen a comments box on this website:

Post if you'd like; they post your comment before reviewing it!

• 12. JuliaL  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:33 am

BK,

Thanks. I posted. As a straight ally, I find such arguments, well, ridiculous.

• 13. AnonyGrl  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:36 am

So do the courts. This is a non-issue now, just as it was during the trial when it was brought up.

• 14. mackenzie  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:40 am

Of the 2500 on the page, a good portion have to be pro-marriage equality. If you look at the threads, they are generally dominated by people on or side of the court.

• 15. AnonyGrl  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:42 am

What I "love" about this letter from Brian is not only the suggestion that people "like" the new NOM page, but that they also be sure to "unlike" Louis's page.

Does anybody have a tally of the "likes" for the pro-equality fb pages out there? It is a rather high number, I am thinking… stacks up nicely against NOM's less than 3000.

Not that fb numbers mean anything really, but putting them next to the graph that shows we are over 50% really makes me want to point at Brian and do the Simpson's "Ha ha" laugh.

• 16. fiona64  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:43 am

To say nothing of the fact that a great many of their "fans" were actually marriage equality supporters who were monitoring enemy action…

Love,
    Fiona

• 17. fiona64  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:44 am

Ah, but they do for the admins. If you are a page administrator, you can see how many people leave your page, and on what day.

• 18. Kate  |  April 21, 2011 at 1:46 am

Oh, I like that!!!!!!!

• 19. Ann S.  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:08 am

I agree. Judge Walker's sexual orientation was a fairly open secret before the trial, discussed in mainstream newspapers as well as by the NOM folks. Nothing new to see here, really.

• 20. Ann S.  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:09 am

Oops, must check box.

• 21. Lora  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:18 am

I posted, but it didn't post my comment…then I saw that it was from Focus on the Family……

• 22. Kathleen  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:19 am

• 23. Alan E.  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:22 am

just subscribing. I was never here.

• 24. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:26 am

My comment was posted and than 30 seconds later it was gone…. UGH!!!

• 25. Straight for Equalit  |  April 21, 2011 at 2:47 am

My post never made it. Or maybe I didn't look during the right seconds.

• 26. Carpool Cookie  |  April 21, 2011 at 5:43 am

A funny thing about that article is the writer fumes, Of course, the mainstream media is ignoring this story"…while there's only 2 comments posted on the article's page, one of them by the author, himself.

• 27. Carpool Cookie  |  April 21, 2011 at 5:45 am

Or, it's also like those stories featured on That's Incredible! (or whatever), where a soggy rat comes up through the toilet pipes, revolting everyone.

• 28. Carpool Cookie  |  April 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

I posted…….and it didn't show ! !

There's one post there now telling the author the issue is moot, and an answer from the author….and otherwise it's a ghost town.

• 29. Carpool Cookie  |  April 21, 2011 at 6:08 am

I like this bit from Brian's letter:

"We’re obviously disappointed that he would deprive nearly 300,000 marriage supporters of their Facebook community."

Were people barred from posting, i.e., was the "online community" actually ever wiped out? I thought just a few violent, offensive posters were blocked when the page was cleaned up.

• 30. Southern Bell  |  April 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

For comparison of "likes":
    I just checked the two 'NOM' pages. NOM's new FB page has 2,619. The old Protect Marriage by Louis has 284,155.
    HRC: 749,382
    Testimony: Equality on Trial: 62,174
    It Gets Better: 134,116

• 31. Kathleen  |  April 21, 2011 at 6:33 am

May I take this opportunity to remind people that there is a Prop 8 Trial Tracker facebook group? (click on the hyperlink on my name)

I always post updates of new court filings in the Perry case on the wall of that group page, so if you're on facebook it's a good way to watch for the latest from the case.

• 32. Ann S.  |  April 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

I have nothing helpful to say.

I just thought I'd tell you all that I suddenly find myself dealing on the phone with a client named Maggie, and it is all I can do not to call her Maggie Gallagher.

Please let my brain function well enough NOT to call her that.

• 33. Rhie  |  April 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Watching

• 34. How NOT to Run a Social M&hellip  |  June 4, 2011 at 6:23 am

[...] damage control has been impotent, they have sent emails to their fans asking them to unlike Louis’s page and like the NOM page. The pace at which fans has responded has been slower than molasses in [...]

• 35. design  |  September 22, 2011 at 5:28 am

haha great I just unliked “Protect Marriage: One Man, One Woman”. At work now! design berlin