Chick-Fil-A's WinShape Foundation: Now partnering with NOM's Ruth Institute

Right-wing

This is a very weird story Jeremy just broke- and which includes video of Jennifer from right here at NOM Tour Tracker.

Also, if a logo at the bottom of the Ruth Institute’s new site isn’t good enough for you, consider that the logo is that same as that of Winshape Marriage, which is Chick-Fil-A’s project to strengthen “traditional marriage” through camp retreats and counseling. That project is also listed on the Wikipedia page for Winshape Foundation. It can also be accessed through http://www.winshape.org.

Basically, Chick-Fil-A and Ruth Institute are, apparently, now working hand-in-hand. Read on -Adam

Cross-posted at Good as You

By Jeremy Hooper

Okay so this is going to take a little explanation. But stick with it. It’s a good find, especially in light of the recent Chick-Fil-A/Pennsylvania Family Institute sponsorship controversy and Chick-Fil-A’s corporate silence on the matter.

So alright, let’s begin with some background on the two players we’ll be discussing:

• Screen Shot 2011-01-06 At 2.46.27 PmThe Winshape Foundation is the charitable of Chick-Fil-A and its founder Truett Cathy. The foundation has several Christian focuses, all focused on strengthening certain values. Fair enough. In a perfect world we would all be able to come together and jointly work for some of their very valid goals.

Okay, so Ruth has been pushing something called The Reel Love Video Challenge. We showed you a promo for the contest back in December. Basically, the idea is for young people to make :30 second videos telling what lifelong love means to them. And again, just like with the Winshape Foundation’s work, the whole contest would be totally benign and even positive, if not for Ruth/NOM’s agenda towards LGBT people.

Right, so today we were mindlessly knocking around the Reel Love video site, primarily as a distraction. However, through our bored surfing we happened to catch note of a few new references to something unfamiliar to our “culture war” eyes. Something called LoveIsHere.com:

(red arrows are ours)

201101061447

[SOURCE: Ruth Institute's Reel Love Video Challenge]

Never before hearing of such a site, we grew curious. So the next thing we did was take a look at the coding of the Ruth Institute’s “Reel Love” site as one commonly does, right?). This is what we found:

201101061433

[SOURCE: Ruth Institute's Reel Love Video Challenge]

For the non-HTML geeky: Basically the highlighted coding shows that the frame on the site into which the videos are posted is actually not hosted on Ruth’s “Reel Love” site, but rather is coming from a separate, unannounced ‘Love Is Here” site. So growing even more curious, we headed over to LoveIsHere.com, where the only content at this point is this:

Screen Shot 2011-01-06 At 2.34.40 Pm

[SOURCE: LoveIsHere.com]

Okay, so this landing page is written in the same theme and style as the “Reel Love” contest. So it would seem that this is a planned effort that Ruth will use to turn this contest into further movement for their cause. Right. Whatever. Not out of line for them to do so, as far as the effort itself goes.

But — but, but but: It’s when one looks down a little further on this launch page that it gets interesting:

Screen Shot 2011-01-06 At 2.36.50 Pm

[SOURCE: LoveIsHere.com]

See what it says down there? Yup, that’s right: This planned site with undeniable ties to Ruth (and therefore NOM) is a project of Chick-Fil-A’s WinShape Foundation. The same Chick-Fil-A that already has some unanswered questions regarding a (now-scrubbed) sponsorship claimed by Pennsylvania’s leading anti-marriage equality group.

Now, who knows how LGBT-focused this yet-to-launch site will be. The content plan that we dug up doesn’t seem explicitly LGBT-focused:

Screen Shot 2011-01-06 At 2.40.22 Pm

But still: The Ruth Institute is *BEYOND* focused on gays and the civil discrimination thereof. Morse even tours around on NOM-sanctioned buses for that “godly” cause:

When we see major American companies getting in bed with that which threatens our own bedrooms, we can’t help but take note. Here’s hoping Chick-Fil-A/WinShape (to whom we’ve registered contact) will this time offer a response.

***

*UPDATE: In a very odd turn of events, the site seems to have somewhat launched in the literally minutes since our post went up. Now when one loads the site, the 1/11/11 landing page is (usually) gone and there is some aggregated content from other sources. We say “usually,” because sometimes we still get the landing page.

*UPDATE2: Here’s the direct LIH page where the Ruth contest is hosted: http://loveishere.com/partners/videos/2/drjweighsin.html. Also, Ruth’s E.D. created a pdf document wherein she encourage bloggers to embed the contest, complete with LIH URL, onto their own sites. The connections could not be more obvious.

**UPDATE3: It seems the plan is to launch this LIH effort on Saturday January 8th, with a featured 60 second spot airing during the TV movie CHANGE OF PLANS (on FOX, 8pm EST). This per an email posted on Bill Coffin’s site. The same Bill Coffin who, on 12/1/10, Tweeted the following:

Screen Shot 2011-01-06 At 4.08.07 Pm

236 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 6:55 am

I have never eaten at Chik-fil-a (there aren't any around here that I know of) but now I never will.

• 2. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 6:55 am

Click the button, Ann. You can do it.

• 3. fiona64  |  January 6, 2011 at 6:56 am

You know what bums me out about all of this (beyond the obvious)?

I used to love Chick-Fil-A. :-(

Love,
    Fiona

• 4. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:01 am

Isn't Chik-Fil-A a mormon owned company? They aren't open on Sundays. (we have lots of them here – but I have never eaten at one either.)

• 5. Lauren  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:02 am

i really don't mean to sound callous when i say, why do we care? we knew that their foundation supported conservative causes, including anti-lgbt ones, even if they were reticent to admit it. is the point of this post to call out chik-fil-A?

• 6. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:02 am

We don't have Chick-Fil-A around here and we don't watch TV (no commercials), so….how is it pronounced? Is it "Chick Fill Ay" or "Chick Fill Uh," and what does it mean, WHAT DOES IT MEAN???

• 7. Meagan  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

Is there a "black list" somewhere of companies that are anti-equality? I'd love to look at it.

• 8. Randy  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

Speaking of a few big mysterious NOM donors in a previous posting…me thinks WinShape or the Cathy's might be among those to be named. That would suck for Chick-Fil-A if that got out. Hmmmmm, maybe that's why NOM has protected the donor list….

• 9. Randy  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

It's like chicken filet.

• 10. Meagan  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:05 am

Also, I never eat there because their commercials get on my nerves.

• 11. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:05 am

chick fill ey

• 12. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:09 am

Aaaah, got it. I've heard it both ways and now I understaaaaaand.

• 13. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:10 am

I guess they are not a mormon owned company – always thought it was.

They are next to Famous Daves here – which is probably why I have never eaten at Chik-Fil-A!

• 14. Ed Cortes  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:10 am

scribin

• 15. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:13 am

• 16. Slade  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:17 am

Found out about this last night. I'm now boycotting Chick-Fil-A. I don't support biggotry.

• 17. Sagesse  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:19 am

Subscribing to read later. Fine investigative work here.

• 18. Manilow  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

HAHAHAHA – OMG – your message on Tuesday about the "Where's Dolores" Argument had me laughing so hard that I had to email you privately – but your comment above was so hilarious that I need to give you public accolades! Well done!

Thanks for the laughs!

• 19. Rhie  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

Watching

• 20. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:33 am

Well, I have not eaten at Chick-Fil-A since one of my exes, who has certified restaurant management training and experience applied for a job as assistant manager and was refused the job because of being openly gay. And unfortunately, since NC is a hire/fire at will state, it was perfectly legal for them to do so. This only gives me more reason to boycott Chik-Fil-A. But there is this little Chik-Fil-A cow in our house that I would like to offer up to anyone who wants to burn it in effigy. Any takers? Adam?

• 21. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:33 am

I've refused to eat at Chick-Fil-A for years because of stuff like this. Being a vegetarian makes it easier, but still.

I just posted a comment on their blog post In Search of a New Word for 'Married':

John
    0 seconds ago

I'm a big fan of the word married. Unfortunately, your partners in the Ruth Institute and National Organization for Marriage are fighting tooth-and-nail against me ever having the right to get married. It's un-American.

I wonder if it will disappear within 15 minutes, like the most recent comment I posted on NOM's blog.

• 22. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:50 am

One opened about a block from my office a few months ago. I have refused and will continue to refuse to set foot in it.

I've explained to some GLBT co-workers about how Chick-Fil-A has partnered with anti-gay groups in the past (I want to say "Focus on the Family," but don't hold me to that) & that while THEY may not care if their money goes through the restaurant into groups fighting against their rights, I certainly care & will not give a dime of my money to them.

One listened to what I had to say, then called his partner to let him know. They thanked me for paying attention & for bringing this to their attention.

The other listened to what I had to say, but still eats there quite frequently. I just don't get it.

I've eaten at Carl's Jr only once in the past 20 years or so (and only because it was the ONLY place open in Big Bear after a big snowstorm … and even then under protest) because they fund anti-choice/pro-forced childbirth organizations. I had no problem adding a second fast food chain to my boycott list.

• 23. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:52 am

I think perhaps the point is to bring Chick-Fil-A's corporate relationships to the attention of those who did NOT know that they support anti-GLBT causes.

While they certainly have the right to fund whatever political causes they support, we have the right to do our best to make sure they don't get to use any of our money to do so.

• 24. Joel  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:54 am

I've never eaten a Chick-fil-ay, or whatever the name is, but I understand they have decent fast food. Apparently, the list of fast food companies at which I can no longer eat is growing. Is there something inherent about owning a fast food chain that necessitates bigotry? Carl's Junior, Domino's Pizza, where does the madness end?

I guess we'll all just have to learn to cook!

• 25. Marlene  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:09 am

I dunno if there's a list, Meagan…. I know that Mobil/Exxon is the *only* Fortune 10 company to *take away* protections on sexual orientations after a merger.

I'd look at this page on HRC's website: http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/equal_opportu

I would say any company NOT on this list is one to avoid, or at least get more info on.

• 26. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:10 am

Your comment is still there… and now so is mine:

My husband and I have been happily married for over 11 years now. I still smile when I look at him or when I think about him. I love being near him. I love doing things with him. I love the little girl we created together. I love that he can look at me and almost always figure out what I'm thinking — and that he can tell if I'm troubled about something even if I'm doing my best to put on my brave face. He is my soul-mate & I am blessed to have him.

I know our marriage will feel even stronger to me when marriage equality finally becomes the law of the land & our gay and lesbian friends are allowed to marry their soul-mates. It's so unfair that we get this lovely "marriage" word but they don't (for now, anyway).

What a delicious day it will be when we as a society realize that deep, respectful, meaningful love is a beautiful thing and that entire groups of people should never be denied basic rights based on the misinterpretation of Scripture bandied about by so many people who call themselves "Christian."

• 27. Marlene  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:12 am

After 43 minutes, John, it's still there!

• 28. rocketeer500  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:13 am

Domino's Pizza too? I never heard about this one.

Does anyone have information as to why I should avoid Domino's?

• 29. Phillip R  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:20 am

Well, I knew about Chick-Fil-A being run by a Christian organization so was no surprise at all. Can't say I ever heard anything about Carl's Jr. or Domino's though.

• 30. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

If I remember correctly, back in the 80's, a lot of people refused to eat at Domino's because they funded anti-abortion organizations.

• 31. fiona64  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

Owners contribute major funds to anti-choice causes.

Love,
    Fiona

• 32. Jenny  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

ugh me too! I actually didn't even know any of their previous relationships with anti-LGBT organizations until now. (It wasn't until last year- thanks to this site actually!- that I became involved enough in the equality campaign that I would know this stuff) This is really sad b/c I really love- I should say loved- their sandwiches. But equality is more important to me than a fast chicken sandwich, so no more of my money will be going to them. Thank you for letting me know!

• 33. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:32 am

I thought the same was true of Wendy's, but I don't remember hearing anything about Carl's Jr. I think Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's, was adopted and that is why he is so anti-choice. If I'm remembering correctly.

• 34. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:32 am

Ditto. Had never even heard of them until a couple weeks ago on JMG.

I don't eat fast food crap anyway, so no big loss to them :)

• 35. fiona64  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Carl's Jr.'s founder, Carl Karcher, contributed to both anti-choice and anti-GLBT causes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Karcher

Looking for Wendy's info to post on another thread so I'm not hung up in moderation.

• 36. fiona64  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Carl Karcher was one of the big financial backers of the Briggs Initiative back in the day as well.

• 37. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:38 am

P8TT now permits multiple links in one post. Can't remember what the limit is – 5 or 10.

• 38. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:40 am

Wow – great news Kathleen! Thanks.

• 39. Rob  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:44 am

On billcoffin.org, the quoted letter about the launch of the LOVE IS campaign says it "is kicking off next week with a huge national media opportunity through the generosity of our friends at Walmart and Proctor and Gamble."

Walmart and P&G?? Is there additional corporate involvement beyond them and the Winshape organization?

• 40. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Fiona. I stand corrected.

• 41. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 8:59 am

I'm almost sure things will change over time — but I've been looking at that "LoveIsHere" site for over an hour (and commenting on various articles) & have yet to find something overtly anti-LGBT.

I've actually enjoyed some of the articles & I think some of the suggestions for date nights sound like a lot of fun.

In other words, if I didn't know the site had anti-LGBT ties, I wouldn't know it had anti-LGBT ties.

• 42. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yup – I don't give them any of my money either (though I confess to eating the pizza if someone else has paid for it).

Same with Mrs Fields cookies (meh) and Coors beer (yuck).

• 43. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Can't remember if this was reported

UPDATE – DADT trial (LCR v USA)

In November, motions were filed asking that the schedule be expedited; the motions were granted in part. This moved the briefing schedule forward so that it was due to complete a week or so sooner than the original schedule.

However, on Dec 29, the government filed a motion asking that the Court hold the appeals in abbeyance in light of DADT repeal by Congress. The motion indicates LCR plans to oppose the request, but nothing has been filed by them yet.
    You can see the filings here: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_i

• 44. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:11 am

And this news report …
    Breaking: Gates Issues Order To Speed Up Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/breaking-gat

• 45. Mandi  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:13 am

Subscribing

• 46. Maggie4NoH8  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

I have to admit, I do love their samiches! And they make good iced tea too.

I used to go there, and Lassen's Market (who contributed big bucks to pass Prop 8).

No more tho.

• 47. fiona64  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:18 am

I was not able to turn up anything verifiable about Wendy's and/or Dave Thomas in terms of anti-choice or anti-LGBT issues.

However, I worked at Wendy's when I was in high school … and I think I've eaten there only twice since.

Love,
    Fiona

• 48. Melissa  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

LOL Fiona!! I saw "Food Inc" two years ago, and I've mostly given up Fast Food because of it. But I will add this to the list of reasons not to eat at Chick-Fil-A.

• 49. Mark M - Seattle  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

Do you think LCR will simply drop their case now that DADT has been repealed by Congress?
    Is there still a case?

• 50. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:31 am

I think they should continue with the case – but that's my personal opinion.

• 51. Ronnie  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:33 am

I've never eaten there…I heard the food is disgusting…..Plus they are highly over priced…hmmm…I wonder why?…..<3….Ronnie

• 52. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

LCR has made it clear they don't intend to drop the case until DADT is gone, and I agree. They shouldn't drop it until DADT is gone, as in really gone, after certification and after the 60 days and all the rest – as in LGB people get to serve openly without fear of discharge.

• 53. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

I admit that on very rare occasions I enjoy a junior bacon cheeseburger (hold the cheese) from Wendy's. I know Dave Thomas was very pro-adoption, being an adoptee, and of course I have no trouble with that.

• 54. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

I didn't read your question carefully, Mark. LCR has indicated they don't intend to drop it and yes, there's still a case as long as DADT is in effect. Promises of it going away in the future, at some unspecified time isn't the same as it being gone.

• 55. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

I agree – continue the case.

Once certification is complete, and DADT is *really* gone, then LCR can decide to drop it as moot. But until it's *really* gone, I think they should proceed as if DADT is still in effect.

Which it still is…

• 56. Chris in Lathrop  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

Carl and Margaret are both gone. Is CKE still funding bigotry on its own?

• 57. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:44 am

That's good news. That's my main worry at this point – that they drag certification out forever.

• 58. Melissa  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

Seeing this post triggered a memory about a news story I saw about Chick-fil-A a few years back. I just looked and found this on google: http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.ht

I try not have the knee-jerk reaction of "it's a religous organization; it must be bigoted", but in this case, it seems like it's true.

It's too bad too; in some regards, they seem like they want to do the right thing – the non-for-profit has foster homes; buying a franchise is reasonably priced with the idea of "giving a leg up to someone who doesn't have anything". Unfortunately, the caveats seem to be that you'd need to support their ideals.

• 59. Chris in Lathrop  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:55 am

Since the legislative repeal of DADT is simply a policy change, I think it's very important that the LCR case should continue. It would rule out any further such policy changes.

• 60. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:58 am

Oh how my life has changed since opening up my mind and heart to new possibilities….Family reunions just got more complicated. Wow, just wow…… :::opening and shutting mouth light a large grouper fish:::

1) Nearly 1/2 of my family works for Chick-fil-A (pronounced "Chick Filet"…whatever…)

2) My favorite entrepreneur niece is a CFA owner/operator. I helped her build her business and managed a small mall store for 1 year and my oldest daughter is a manager: her families primary source of income.

3) CFA is most definitely NOT owned by Mormon's. Very conservative Baptist group who always want to call us (formally) Mormon's to repentance. They also are a very Patriarchal company and women have a VERY hard time proving they can be a manager and a mother. Always closed Sundays including Mall locations which demonstrates a bit of their political pull. When you lease a store in a Mall, if they say "jump" you Jump…or lose your lease.

4) They are new to the California market but are expanding at a frightening fast pace….now I understand some of their motives as they do not separate religion from business. I attended a manager's week-long workshop @ headquarters in Atlanta…many of the activities were thinly disguised(and not so thinly as the "optional" daily prayer meeting). Once someone discovered I might be Mormon I was treated with missionary zeal or avoided as if I were contagious. They get away with this because completely privately own company.

Time to compose a letter to my niece…. any suggestions oh wise ones?

• 61. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thank u for head's up about Carl's Jr…..crossing them off a favorite list…DONE!!!

• 62. Josh  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi all.

I went to http://loveishere.com and just typed in "EQUAL".

I wonder if they track how often which words get typed in?

Kind of cool to see the logo in the upper left say "LOVE IS EQUAL" on a site that's probably not espousing the same exact thing…

Peace!

• 63. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

I used to love their food : ( They cook their waffle fries in a separate fryer than their meat products…in 100% peanut oil….yummy carrot/raisin salad….listen to me…I sound like someone defending their church after they practically ruined their life….. Farewell CFA! I'll never darken your doors again….

• 64. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

waaaaahhhh….me 'bummed out' too. I care more about my LGBT family than yummy food though ….after this I don't think their food wood taste good to me anyway…like veal affected me when I was 9 yrs old…when I found out baby cows were not allowed to go play so their "meat" would be tender :::shudder:::

I'd rather eat at a favorite Thai restaurant that proudly displays "Q Salt Lake" at the entrance!

• 65. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

raising hand….did not know….

• 66. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

I check http://www.gaywheels.com/ regularly so I know what car to rent or not to rent….or when in market for car….or lately, what car to dream about when I do buy a new car….

• 67. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

gosh…I used to dress up in a fabulous CFA cow suit to entertain the kiddies…. oh my!

• 68. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

lovely message nightshayde : )

• 69. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

Completely off-topic, but I just saw this article & laughed.

Apparently, figure skater Johnny Weir is announcing in his new book that he's gay.

My reaction? Um …. DUH!!!

No – I'm not stereotyping and saying that he's obviously gay because he's a figure skater. I know there are quite a few straight male figure skaters out there. I'm saying "DUH" because he's Johnny Freakin' Weir & never seemed to be in any closet anywhere.

• 70. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

cool article….McCain mentioned… in a good way:

"On an interesting tangent, Senator John McCain, the chief GOP opponent to repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” has flip-flopped yet again. TPM reports McCain has “softened his tone and now says he’ll do anything he can to help repeal go smoothly.”

“I think I have to do everything I can to make sure that the [impact on the] morale, retention, recruitment and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible.”

And they say the season of miracles is over. "

• 71. Bennett  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

What to do with this Chick Fil A gift card that I recieved in the office gift exchange. Well, they already have the money so I guess I will just have some of their ice cream from time to time during the busy lunch time, taking up a booth for four or course, and maybe as a special treat a small diet Dr. Pepper to accidentally spill. I might need to use the facilities while I am there and don't immagine there will be much toilet paper left in the men's room afterward. All in jest right? Yup! all in jest.

Yeah right!

• 72. Sarah  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Sooo, I was just at the "Reel Love Challenge site"… Have there really only been 9 video entries!? Under the "All videos" tab, that's all I am seeing. Am I missing something?

• 73. Ronnie  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:39 am

R&B singer, Marsha Ambrosius, says she made this video (for her song "Far Away") to support her gay following…
    From towelroad…. .http://www.towleroad.com/2011/01/ambrosius.html

"I lost a friend &I've had friends that have attempted suicide. There are people that don't have a voice to speak out &show what is happening &what can happen, so I just wanted people to see the honesty in it &be aware"

Near then end of the video appears this message from her…..

"Dear friends,
    Every year over 1 million people commit SUICIDE. Some were BULLIED because of their SEXUALITY. I lost a friend to SUICIDE, and I'm asking all of you to support alternative lifestyles. Don't put up with or join in with the BULLYING. It's time we become more aware in this WORLD. Take responsibility to make a difference. So if my MUSIC can save one life, I've done my job.

I love you all so much!

Marsha"

(me) No Marsha, Thank you, for all of your support….<3….Ronnie:

• 74. Ronnie  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

uggg…..I always spell that website's name wrong…. towleroad……apologies…..anyway… great message…The Ruth Institute should learn from her example…you know? to care for EVERYONE!….just saying…..<3….Ronnie

• 75. Sarah  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

Great video of Jon Stewart from Wednesday night's show: titled "Let's all Stand on John McCain's Lawn" http://www.thedailyshow.com/ Sorry it is the whole show intro, but you can forward it pretty quickly.

The part about McCain starts at minute 3:20, with Stewart's typical biting commentary heating up about DADT around minute 5:10. Take that, McCain!! My respect for Jon Stewart continues to grow. He is a smart comedian.

• 76. Peterplumber  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:50 am

I am surprised at NOM's choice of name for The Ruth Institute. After all, the story of Ruth in the Bible is rather homosexual.

It is a story of love between two women, Ruth and Naomi. The story centers on the life journey of two women in desperate straits in a male-dominated society. I won't tell the whole story here, but when Naomi tells Ruth to leave and go to her home lands, Ruth says, "Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried. The LORD do so to me, and more also, if anything but death parts you and me."

Ruth's famous words, "For wherever you go, I will go …," are used in Catholic and some Protestant marriage services, underscoring the similarity of marriage.

Therefore, it appears that Ruth and Naomi were the first LBGT couple to marry.

• 77. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

Just say you were dressing up as Joel's mother-in-law. Hee hee!

• 78. Jim  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:58 am

According to Whois, LoveIsHere.com is registered to a group called "Marriage CoMission" (http://www.marriagecomission.com).

Marriage CoMission's website said Marriage CoMission's headquarters is at 5200 Buffington Road, Atlanta, GA, phone 404-775-8808.

Guess what foundation has its headquarterst at 5200 Buffington Road? WinShape Foundation (started by Chick-fil-A's founder, Truett Cathy).

Guess what company has its headquarters at 5200 Buffington Road? Chick-fil-A, phone 404-765-8000.

What company contributed more than half of WinShape Foundation's 2008 revenue (per WinShape's 2008 Form 990, the latest tax return I could find online)? Chick-fil-A.

What was one of the groups that WinShape made a contribution to (per WinShape tax return)? Alliance Defense Fund.

Alliance Defense Fund represents ProtectMarriage.com (Yes on 8) in the Prop 8 case.

Birds of a feather flock together.

• 79. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:08 am

Good info Jim…:)

• 80. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

It's all so incestuous, isn't it?

• 81. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Yeah… It's funny how when you drill down through the layers of misdirection, fronts, and other organizations, it's always the same group of people behind it all.

Grass roots my ass. :)

• 82. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

Someone needs to tell these people that promoting heterosexuality won't make homosexuals straight.

No matter how hard they try!

• 83. Straight Ally #3008  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

You're not missing anything by boycotting Chick-Fil-A. The chicken sandwiches repeat on you something fierce.

It is my considered opinion that The Verve already made a great response to the "Love is…." question.

• 84. Straight Ally #3008  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

Had to repost. ;-D

• 85. Alex Gill-Gerards  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

This is off topic …. When California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno retires on February 28th how does this work out for the standing issue that was asked by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals? How are they to rule on that if it could be a tie of 3-3 without a 7th Justice?

• 86. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

oooooh Ducky! I love it. Thanks

• 87. Demand Equality  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

So is Chick-A-Fil bearing false witness or is Pennysylvania Family Institute misrepresenting Chick-A-Fil's participation in their marriage-a-thon- is Chick-A-Fil contributing money or dead chicken sandwiches?

From the Chick-A-Fil Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ChickfilA
    "To our Facebook community: First and foremost, thanks for your patience as we made sure we gathered the facts in regards to recent postings. We have determined that one of our independent Restaurant Operators in Pennsylvania was asked to provide sandwiches to two Art of Marriage video seminars. As our fans, you know we do our best to serve our local communities,and one of the ways we do that is by providing food to schools, colleges, civic groups, businesses, places of worship, not-for-profit groups, etc. At his discretion, the local Operator agreed to simply provide a limited amount of food. Our Chick-fil-A Operators and their employees try very hard every day to go the extr…a mile in serving ALL of our customers with honor, dignity and respect."

• 88. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

The 9th Circuit will make a decision on the issue of standing no matter what happens at the CA Supreme Court. If the CASC sidesteps the issue (not likely) the 9th will decide without any guidance from them. If the CASC splits 3-3 on a decision, the 9th will look at the information from the opinion and take it into advisement when they rule. Keep in mind, that the 9th makes the decision on standing; the federal court is just asking the CASC to answer a question that will help them make that decision.

• 89. Rhie  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:48 am

Ah thanks. I hope Jack in the Box and Taco Time don't end up on a no list. Good food, and JiB has awesomely funny commercials.

• 90. Rhie  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

Well all of those products taste nasty so that works for me. :)

• 91. Rhie  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I thought they were against that, too. :)

• 92. nightshayde  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

=D Thanks, Gregory.

• 93. Michael  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Another transparent effort by militant anti-gay pressure groups to redefine "love." Their ultimate goal is to make America think that inequality, discrimination, voting away civil rights, and eradicating law-abiding, taxpaying, gay Americans from our nation is "love."

"Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person brings good things out of a good treasure, and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil treasure. I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:33-37)

• 94. Alex Gill-Gerards  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Under "Question's Certified" why does it state:

"We understand that the Court may reformulate our question, and we agree to accept and follow the Court’s decision"

To my understanding the 9th Circuit has agreed to follow whatever decision the CASC states.

• 95. Alex Gill-Gerards  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm

“Question’s Certified" section of the Certified Question to the CASC that is.

• 96. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

IANAL, but – my understanding is that the 9th circuit is asking the CASC for it's *opinion* on the matter of standing in regards to the CA constitution.

CASC will not issue a decision – it will issue advice on what the California Constitution says (or may not say) on the matter.

The 9th Circuit will make the actual decision regarding standing, regardless of what CASC says. They are just looking for guidance from people who they believe are in a position to provide it.

• 97. Alex Gill-Gerards  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I don't understand why they would say

“We understand that the Court may reformulate our question, and we agree to accept and follow the Court’s decision”

then.

• 98. Leo  |  January 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I'm just guessing, but I think they are saying, "We know you may decide to answer a slightly different question than what we're asking, and if you do, we'll accept that."

• 99. Ray in MA  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Oh Greg…

What a tangled web we weave, when we practive to decieve.

Just step back from it all and wait for them to ask wazzup?

Then try to wxlain gently that there are personal/political implications to what they are doing (that they can't see) and that you need to distance what they do from who they are… and you won't abandon them.

Then let them figureit it out for themselves. They may be too busy trying to earn a living to get it. Whatever, let them be.

• 100. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

The 9th Circuit formulated the question a particular way and they are acknowledging that the CA SC is free to reformulate the question slightly. In fact, the 9th is just respecting the fact that the rule governing this certification process specifically states "At any time, the Supreme Court may restate the question or ask the requesting court to clarify the question."
    See Rule 8.548(f)(5) at this link: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/rules/index.cfm?title

As to the fed court 'following the decision' of the CASC, it's important to understand the jurisdiction and power of the different courts to understand what they mean by that. A California state court, even the Supreme Court, lacks the authority to tell a federal court whether or not a party has federal (Article III) standing. Only the federal court can decide that.

However, the federal court has stated that the the state court's answer to their question is critical, perhaps controlling, to the resolution of the question of federal standing. So, the federal court is saying they will abide by the CA SC's decision as to whether or not the proponents have a particularized interest under state law, that might confer upon them sufficient status for federal standing. The federal court will then use that information to decide if the interest the CA Court articulates is sufficient for federal standing.

When reading the 9th's opinion, it did seem to me they were saying that if the CA SC answers 'yes' to their question, they will grant standing, and probably will not if the answer is 'no.' But ultimately, this is still a decision that the 9th will make once they've had input from the CA SC (or after the CA SC declines to answer).

Does that clarify it for you?

• 101. Ray in MA  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Um Um Good!

• 102. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Or maybe the "we agree to accept and follow the Court’s decision" just refers to the matter of reformulating the question, as Leo suggests.:) I still haven't gone back to read it in context. Okay, I admit it – sometimes I'm lazy. :)

Either way, the CA SC will not decide whether Proponents have federal standing.

• 103. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Interesting to see that the only one anywhere near me is at USC. Maybe someone needs to make sure the campus LGBT groups know what they're up to. :)

• 104. Ronnie  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Maggie Gallagher is one of the most disgusting women on the face of the earth……There is so much disrespect, insult, & advocating violating & taking away every single right guaranteed to LGBT Americans…..This repugnant, heartless, soulless, inhuman harridan just keeps on attacking children & the personal, private legal relationships innocent people…..

"To me, and to millions of other good people, a "husband" means a man who has taken sexual responsibility for a woman and any children they make together with their bodies. Whatever Mr Wolfson means by "husband" it is clearly something different. When the law adopts his view of "marriage" and "husband" something will be changed for millions of people. I think he and other gay-marriage advocates have a responsibility, to truth and decency, to acknowledge that change, and to argue for it as better than the understanding of marriage we have now, rather than to pretend the change is not real."

(me) 1st of all Maggie, NOBODY on your side is good, not one of you. 2nd, who do you think you are?…..You see people?….Here she is advocating the violation of our Freedom of Speech & Expression….legislating what words we can & cannot use & how we can & cannot use them…direct attack at & violation of our 1st amendment rights……

"Yes, in one sense to be able to make new life as a result of acts of sexual love is an incredible privilege. On the other hand, I had a flashback to my senior year at Yale. I was pregnant by my boyfriend, in his room preparing to fly back to my family home to have his child. And the last thing he said to me was, 'I'll be back in 30 minutes.' He wasn't, and I flew home alone."

(me) Boo-hoo….do you want a Jesus cracker with that whine? Listen sweetie, just because some man, the father of your bastard child, didn't want to be with you after you couldn't keep your legs on the ground before marriage doesn't give you the right to go around destroying other people's personal lives, attacking their children & families, & disrespecting us…you bitter & jaded, selfish rhymes with witch & start's with a "B"….

"Gay marriage will make it virtually impossible to renew marriage's central public role, which is not to celebrate private romantic love—hardly any business of government—but to protect children by increasing the likelihood that they will be born to and raised by their own mother and father. Gay marriage makes it impossible to articulate this as a goal of marriage, much less to realise it in real children's lives."

(me) You don't get a say so In how other people form their families. Why are you incapable of minding your own business, Maggie?…..& who are "real children"?…..You really need to quit using the "protect children" bull that NOBODY is falling far….You don't protect children…you attack children…..you attack LGBT children…you attack the children who have LGBT parents…..you foster the behavior that homophobic bullies use to harass LGBT kids to the point of Suicide…your disgusting talking points are responsible for the murder of 14yo Lawrence King & 17month old Baby Roy Jones….Maggie Gallagher, You & the rest of your ilk are responsible for high amount of homeless LGBT youth who have been thrown out of their homes by heterosexual parents, like you, who choose to hate their children rather then love them & accept them…or the LGBT youth who run away from home because they don't feel safe & they feel threatened by their own parents & family….."Protect the children"?…. You are protecting no body but yourself you repugnant, selfish, Fascist Ava Braun wannabe….You have no sympathy….& there is nothing good about you….. : I ….Ronnie

• 105. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

When I saw the word Chick-fil-A I stared at it for a while, and wondered if it was some new, hip feminist group. Maybe with a hybrid/hispanic bent (??)

Apparently not.

• 106. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

That was my impression, too, CC. :)

• 107. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Good kitty.

• 108. Ann S.  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Another point to remember is that they might actually issue a ruling on this prior to Justice Moreno's departure. I don't know if they'll move that quickly, but it's possible.

• 109. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

"why do we care? we knew that their foundation supported conservative causes, including anti-lgbt ones, even if they were reticent to admit it."

We did?

All I knew was that the Moonies owned Entemens. Or at least I thought they did.

I'd certainly avoid businesses that supported anti LGBT missions. There are so many restaurant choices out there, why directly put money into campaigns we disagree with?

I'll just go nextdoor. It's not like they own the patents on chicken sandwiches and iced tea.

• 110. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm

"me thinks WinShape or the Cathy’s might be among those to be named"

You don't mean Cathy from the comics??? She always seemed so nice!

• 111. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Take a reaaaaaaalllly long time ordering, too, so customers leave.

Ask questions. Lots of questions.

• 112. Carpool Cookie  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Gosh….we're so alike, and both in L.A. County.

Separated at birth???

• 113. mcc  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wait, "Bill Coffin"?

That sounds like it should be the name of a villain from a comic book.

• 114. Tomato  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

A good time to sing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUa_G1h3pw ("Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider)

Ironic, eh, that a Canadian (Tom Cochrane) has to remind us about the value of the Constitution?

• 115. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Rowr. :)

• 116. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

'I think he and other gay-marriage advocates have a responsibility, to truth and decency, to acknowledge that change, and to argue for it as better than the understanding of marriage we have now, rather than to pretend the change is not real.”'

Great, Mrs Srivistav. Please tell me how my marrying my (currently imaginary) boyfriend will change your marriage. I'm always willing to be enlightened.

'On the other hand, I had a flashback to my senior year at Yale. I was pregnant by my boyfriend, in his room preparing to fly back to my family home to have his child. And the last thing he said to me was, ‘I’ll be back in 30 minutes.’ He wasn’t, and I flew home alone.”'

And I'm responsible for that… how exactly? So, you had sex with someone, got pregnant, and then the bastard ran away. Why am I paying for your pain? That's the fault of those damn homos… how exactly?

'Gay marriage makes it impossible to articulate this [...by increasing the likelihood that they will be born to and raised by their own mother and father.] as a goal of marriage, much less to realise it in real children’s lives.'

Sorry, Mrs Srivistav, I am not responsible for your inability to comprehend the 'real world'.

• 117. JonT  |  January 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm

A blast from the past.

Thank you.

• 118. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Guess that means we have to cross Hardee's off the list, since they are owned by Carl's Jr. And in NC, that means we are left with Burglar Queen, Dairy Queen, McDonalds, Sonic, Zaxby's, Papa John's, Little Ceasar's, Popeye's, BoJangle's, and the locally owned places.

• 119. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I know. Johnny Weir was no more in the closet that Clay Aiken! The one that really surprised me was when Winchester from M*A*S*H came out. David Ogden Stiers.

• 120. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

And those words are also used in Jewish wedding ceremonies. I know, because they were used this past Saturday in Statesboro, GA, when our granddaughter and her new husband said their vows. And let us not forget the psalms that David wrote about Jonathan, and the fact that Saul called himself David's Father-in-law in the twain, referring to the fact that David was married not only to Saul's daughter, Michal, but also to Saul's son, Jonathan.

• 121. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Again, I have a plastic cow figurine from Chick-Fil-A. Who wants it for the burning in effigy? AM I joking? NO!

• 122. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Only if the incest is between family members of the same gender.

• 123. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I think he is referring to the Catholics, Carpool Cookie. Before I met BZ and began exploring my Jewish roots, when I was a Catholic, I often herd that term tossed around in casual colloquy.

• 124. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Or a vampire on Dark Shadows!

• 125. Kathleen  |  January 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

The owners of Chic-Fil-A are a family with last name Cathy.

• 126. deebee  |  January 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Does Carl's Jr. still do that? I thought the company itself never directly funded those organitions, it was just the founder, Carl Karcher, who privately donated to anti-gay and anti-abortion groups, but he died some time ago, and I believe his wife did as well. Who's in charge of the company now?

• 127. Martin the Brit  |  January 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I shall henceforth be referring to myself as a 'fancy gentleman' :-P.

• 128. nick  |  January 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Ronnie – THAT WAS FANTASTIC !!! I often wondered if the father of her bastard child was in fact gay man trying to be straight. If I had the money i would pay to have your comments printed on the front page of every major newspaper in this country !!!

Ronnie YOU ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 129. Andrew_SEA  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

OMG!

/runs to the TV to see old M*A*S*H reruns and admire a gay star.

I love it… Now we know whom was really called Hot Lips! teehee

I will watch the reruns with much more admiration now!

• 130. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

good advices Ray …..sigh…… "Happy Friday" : )

• 131. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm

LOLOLO!

• 132. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:09 am

Hey, Greg, what restaurant are you talking about? :)

• 133. Jeff W  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:09 am

It's not a good idea to eat fast food, period. All such restaurants should be avoided.

• 134. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:14 am

I think you left off an L at the end… ;)

• 135. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:16 am

I'm not holding my breath… the moderators are probably on a coffee break… ;)

• 136. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:17 am

Wait! The comments aren't on the page supplied by Lightning Baltimore's link!

• 137. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:23 am

That's right! I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder, Kathleen!

• 138. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:25 am

Hahaha… yeah. (rolls eyes)

McCain will probably "make sure that the [impact on the] morale, retention, recruitment and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible," by lobbying for separate dormitories and working spaces for LGBT individuals, and a separate housing area on military bases for LGBT families. Oh, and don't forget to keep LGBTs out of the swimming areas!!! Think of the children!!!! :O

But that's just my opinion.

• 139. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:29 am

*high five at carpool cookie!

• 140. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:30 am

Wasn't it just opened a few days ago, at most?

• 141. Evelyn J. Brooks  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:13 am

Ah, Jesus! I just ate Chick-fil-a yesterday. I feel like that was the worst money I ever spent this year!! Needless to say, these people aren't getting another dime from me. I say we drum up a boycott. I don't want to see any place supporting [practically] registered hate groups and not paying dearly for that.

• 142. Joel  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:42 am

Could you paint the name "Rosalie" on it first, or does that smack too much of Voodoo?

• 143. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:07 am

Top o' the day to you, my fellow fancy gentleman. :)

• 144. Joel  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:17 am

Really? I rather like "flappychap" myself. Haven't been able to manage that mitosis thing, yet, no matter how hard I try.

• 145. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:19 am

: ) …I forgot…put it out of my mind….

• 146. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:26 am

What cowards. I took a screen shot right after I posted it, though, just like I've been doing every time I post a comment on NOM's blog. I've got a nice little collection now of comments that either never made it past the moderator(s) or that did and were subsequently removed,

• 147. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:36 am

Alternatively, take a small bit of pleasure in knowing that her salary is one bit of the company's money that WON'T be going to fund discrimination?

• 148. Mouse  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:38 am

They finally have made a statement – appearing on Facebook:

and one of the ways we do that is by providing food to schools, colleges, civic groups, businesses, places of worship, not-for-profit groups, etc. At his discretion, the local Operator agreed to simply provide a limited amount of food. Our Chick-fil-A Operators and their employees try very hard every day to go the extra mile in serving ALL of our customers with honor, dignity and respect."

• 149. Mouse  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

• 150. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

I totally should have done that. Perhaps I'll try again.

• 151. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:49 am

The e-mail address I used yesterday is already blocked — I have been declared "SPAM."

Yesterday the site was accepting comments instantly. Now they're being screened by an admin before being posted.

• 152. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:58 am

How pathetic and typical . . .

• 153. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:25 am

I just e-mailed them, advising them that there seems to be some sort of glitch in their system that is deleting comments.

I suggested that they fix the glitch, lest people start thinking they advocate censorship.

I also pointed out that my husband and I have been happily married for over eleven years, that we're raising our biological child in a love-filled home … and asked why a site supposedly supportive of relationships and families doesn't actually seem to support them.

• 154. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:38 am

Nor I, and I haven't shopped at Target since the Emmer debacle.

• 155. Kathleen  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:40 am

I sooo love all the fancy gentlemen and flappychaps here. :) Big hugs to all!! xoxox

• 156. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:41 am

Oh thank you Manilow–after yesterday's flame war with a rager who decided to take offense at a comment that had nothing to do with him, I'm relieved to hear someone still enjoys hearing from me. :)

• 157. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:43 am

OMG! It's a conspiracy! Illumin-Ot-A!

• 158. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:44 am

Ba-dum-dum! *cymbal crash*

• 159. Steve  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:46 am

No. He hasn't gone soft. Same bigot as ever. What McCain said that he will do what he can do to help troops "cope" with the repeal. COPE! He hasn't changed his tune one bit.

• 160. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:51 am

Yes, it will be interesting to see if he tries that, or maybe his much younger wife has finally talked some sense into him.
    He's kind of closing the barn door after the horses have run out though, saying, "Look at me! I'm closing the barn door!"

• 161. Kathleen  |  January 7, 2011 at 3:59 am

Isn't that a statement about the PFI connection? This latest partnering, the subject of this post, would seem to contradict their 'innocent' involvement in anti-gay activities. Or are these two things the same, and I'm not reading carefully enough?

• 162. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:01 am

Pentagon moving fast to end 'don't ask,' Gates says

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates wants military leaders to start training troops about the formal end to the "don't ask, dont' tell" policy in a "very few weeks," he said Thursday.

He said Pentagon officials are working quickly on a three-part plan: overhauling applicable military personnel policy and benefits; providing training for top brass and military chaplains; and then formally instructing the nation's 2.2 million troops on the ban's repeal.

Troop training will be done "as expeditiously as we can," the secretary said, but it will prove challenging, because "there's just a certain element of physics associated with the number of people involved in this process." He did not elaborate.

Gates's remarks, at a Pentagon news conference on planned military spending cuts, were his first in public on "don't ask, don't tell" since President Obama signed a law ending the ban on gays in the military in late December.

Clifford L. Stanley, undersecretary of defense for personnel, has been instructed to quickly draft changes to personnel policy and the Uniform Code of Military Justice and to complete the training of top military leaders, Gates said.

"It's better to do this sooner rather than later," Gates said. "So we're kind of approaching it with that — with that philosophy in mind."

More: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2011

• 163. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:02 am

I don't remember if it was "Fast Food Nation" or one of the other tomes on the industry, but I seem to recall that In 'N' Out Burger was run by a deeply religious Christian family–in fact, they have the numbers of various bible verses printed on all their food wrappers–but they saw their religious belief as a mandate to treat people fairly. As a result, they paid well and offered good benefits, and they had high employee retention and loyalty. I don't know how this played out in regards to the advancement of women and/or acceptance of LGBT employees, however.

After the Prop8 campaign, I find it hard not to get harumphy and think "it must be bigoted" too, Melissa. However, I do find examples to the contrary–in fact, there's an org here in L.A. called CLUE (Clergy and Laity United for Justice) which works on getting living wages for manual laborers, and in their campaign to ferret out hotels that abuse their janitorial staffs they discovered that one of the biggest most luxurious hotels here in L.A. is owned/operated by an Orthodox Jewish family who considers it a religious mandate to treat workers well.

So some people DO try to do the right thing, or maybe they only do it in part because they have been taught to think narrowly about who should be afforded human dignity. The Christian gospel quiet clearly says the poor should be offered this dignity and respect; might some of these religious people be taught to offer the same dignity and respect to LGBTs? Remains to be seen.

However, whenever I see a religious org or corporation getting involved in politics, particularly civil rights–wellllll, yeah, that makes me want to blow a gasket. But that's why many of us are here, yeah?

• 164. Chris in Lathrop  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:03 am

I'm wondering the same, deebee. Carl and Margaret donated to hate, but they're both gone and the last Carl's Jr. commercial I heard (radio) sported George Takei talking about their 'big, beefy, fruity, Asian' teriyaki burger…

Does anyone know definitively whether CKE supports bigotry with the Karchers gone?

• 165. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:05 am

"so um, how many calories are in your Chik-Fil-A triple pattie burger and um, why does your company give money to the Ruth Institute? You know who the Ruth Institute is? You want me to explain? And the calories?"

• 166. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:09 am

Oh right Kathleen, that's what we all say about you…how LAZY you are. Crikey.
    :P

• 167. fiona64  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:13 am

The ragers are welcome to self-select for what they perceive as more congenial company.

I'm always glad to hear from you, Elizabeth.

Love,
    Fiona

• 168. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:19 am

I think it sounds like a lovely name for a cow.

• 169. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:19 am

Though I will never eat at Chick-Fil-A or Karl's or any place I suspect of contributing to shutting my LGBT friends and family members out of the much-needed protections of marriage, I wonder if there will be a happy ending to this story as there was with McDonald's….Ray Kroc, who took over the little hamburger stand that was to become a worldwide business phenom, was pretty hardcore business-wise and reputedly not a very nice guy. However, upon his death, his widow Joan gave NPR a massive endowment, 200 million bucks (though I notice on her Wiki page she also gave 1.6 billion to the Salvation Army, an org I have mixed feelings about.)

So don't feel guilty about having eaten at Chick-Fil-A yesterday or the gift card or whatever. It may be that your money ends up in a better place over time. In the meantime however, I'll get my fast food from the mom&pop joint where we've talked about marriage equality and they're okay with it.

• 170. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:22 am

Madame Genius, in gratitude for your support I am stealing this phrase. Too perfect.

A self-selected *mwah* upon your cheek, eliz.

• 171. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:33 am

And let us not forget why I named my Suzuki SX4 Crossover Sulu. In honor of George Takei, who played Sulu on Star Trek. And David Ogden Stiers even said that his reasons for coming out were selfish. He said, "I am at a point in my life where I am ready to settle down, and I don't want to ruin my relationship, when I find one, by lying."

• 172. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:45 am

Works for me!

• 173. Kathleen  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:46 am

We've talked about In-N-Out here before and IIRC, no one has found any evidence that either the owners or the company contributed anything to the Prop 8 campaign. It's true that they print small, unobtrusive scriptural references on their packaging. I had never noticed it until someone pointed it out to me. But as far as I can tell, it's all the stuff about love and service, none of the more inflammatory passages.

If anyone knows of any contributions they've made to anti-lgbt causes, I'd want to know. Until I hear otherwise, I will continue to enjoy an occasional In-N-Out. I know burgers are bad news, but I do enjoy one now and then. BTW, afriend's mother just died of a massive heart attack while eating and In-N-Out, but I'm sure that's just coincidence. :)

• 174. BK  |  January 7, 2011 at 4:57 am

I already detested their chicken… but I do have to confess to the crime of eating their delicious… mouth-watering… but evil (!) waffle fries! So unhealthy yet so good. : P8TT has finally given me the motivation to stop eating them…

So thank you, Trackers, for helping us pro-equality folk win the war for LGBT rights AND slimmer waistlines. :)

• 175. Ann S.  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:02 am

I haven't heard anything bad about In-N-Out, either (yet), other than the scriptural citations. They are, as you say, pretty unobtrusive.

They do have excellent employment policies, I've heard.

Like you, we eat there only occasionally (the most I eat any kind of fast food would be "occasionally").

• 176. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:07 am

I am fairly certain they support the ultra-violence.

• 177. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:41 am

Wow – someone got back to me. The response didn't say anything particularly of note, but here it is:

Hey Shayna!

Thanks so much for your comments! We are currently working out some glitches :)

Thanks for your patience,

JAKE LEBOEUF – DIGITAL MEDIA GUY
    URL: loveishere.com
    EMAIL: jake.leboeuf@loveishere.com
    PHONE: 865.242.1019
    AIM: jake.leboeuf@loveishere.com

• 178. Kathleen  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:44 am

First belly laugh of the day. Some GLITCHES??!? That's what they call it? Maybe when they work out the glitches, they'll discover a whole new world of tolerance and inclusion!

• 179. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:58 am

… to which I responded with the following:

Thank you for your reply, Jake.

I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed a number of the articles I read on your site yesterday — some of which I commented upon, some of which I didn't.

In particular, I enjoyed the suggestions people had for different types of dates — something which can be utilized equally well by people who are married & having "date nights" or by people just starting out on relationships.

Helping people to reaffirm the value of their existing relationships as well as helping people work through the potential minefields which can affect relationships nowadays is certainly a worthy goal. It's nice for people to realize they're not alone when they find odd trivial things about their spouses/partners somewhat vexing — no matter how minor those things are. It's also great to see people affirming their ongoing love for their spouses/partners after being in loving relationships for many years. I get such joy out of my relationship with my husband, and I hope everyone else gets to find as rewarding a relationship as I've been blessed to find.

Another thing I particularly enjoyed about your site is that just about all of the stories of love and commitment can be applied equally to all couples, regardless of marital status. In a day and age where the word "marriage" can take on such different meanings to such different people, it's nice to see a site where it subtly becomes very clear how very alike "traditional" male/female relationships are to the relationships of same sex partners. To know that the gays and lesbians out there have exactly the same relationship issues (both good and bad) that those of us who are straight do can only serve to unite us more and more as a people — just as the minister of my church teaches us.

I'm so glad to hear that disappearing posts are really a glitch rather than something more sinister. Since the site is so clearly equality-friendly, it was a bit disturbing to think there was some sort of anti-equality undertone.

My e-mail address seems to be a victim of the site's glitchiness. I tried posting today, but the site reacted as if I was a "spammer," making me feel as if my input was unwanted. I will be quite pleased when that problem is rectified.

Thanks again. I will be referring friends to your site (with warnings about glitchiness, of course) in the near future.

Take care & God Bless,

Shayna

• 180. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:02 am

… and yes, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek as I was writing.

One thing I noticed about the site yesterday was that there WERE some very nice articles — and that the articles largely could be taken as relevant by people at all points of the orientation spectrum (for lack of a better all-inclusive term). Love is gender-blind, after all.

Honestly, I'm surprised (and ever-so-slightly encouraged) that someone responded. Since they already defined that e-mail address as that of a troublemaker, they could just have easily have completely ignored the e-mail.

• 181. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:07 am

Please forgive me for spamming this thread … but I just looked over on that same page (the one from which our comments disappeared) and saw this:

Comments have been closed for maintenance. Thank you for your patience as we work out some kinks.

Aside from our pro-equality posts from yesterday, some other completely innocuous posts from today from other people (posts which were praising the article) have also vanished. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this!

• 182. anonygrl  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:08 am

Kudos on your tongue-in-cheekiness, and you MUST keep us updated as to how they continue to respond (if they do).

I noticed when I wrote a response, that all the comments with any sort of CONTENT to them (meaning all but the first one which was obviously planted and said "Oh cool!" or some such) were of the "Marriage is a wonderful thing and should be extended to everyone equally" sort.

Personally, I wonder how long their comments are going to be "down for maintenance". LOL

• 183. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:15 am

Until marriage discrimination is embedded in our federal Consitution, perhaps?

• 184. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:27 am

Tee hee hee!

I now have six screen shots saved of the comments for that post:

My first, which was the second, overall

follow-up comment from Shayna

additional comments from Johnny (and Gary too!) and Anonygrl

additional comments from Jim, Rich, and Erin

all comments but the original first one gone, and a new comment added

all comments gone and commenting disabled

• 185. Rhie  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:29 am

LOL !

• 186. Coronal  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:40 am

There are websites where you can swap gift cards. Check one of those out.

• 187. anonygrl  |  January 7, 2011 at 6:47 am

They've been collecting these videos since September, according to the rules they posted about submissions.

• 188. Rich  |  January 7, 2011 at 7:12 am

Hee Haw! They caught up with the 14 or so of us who were the first to post on their "New name for Marriage" blog. Guess they just don't like hearing about happy, fulfilled, gay couples with families who would love to be married. They shut down site to posts due to "maintenance issues". On another blog, I wrote a lovely piece about my partner's and me and our minimalist construct now that the kids are grown and married; sort of a bit like Ozzie and Harriet with a grandchild on the way. Well, guess what. I have been reduced to spam and, in short, my e-mail address is verboten. I would have loved to see their faces when they took their first look at the initial responses. Hee Haw!

• 189. nightshayde  |  January 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

At least you're in good company. =)

• 190. Tweets that mention Chick&hellip  |  January 7, 2011 at 8:55 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by CourageCampaign, Tweetsbian, John M. Becker, Gerry Borger, Noel Dolan and others. Noel Dolan said: Chick-Fil-A’s WinShape Foundation: Now partnering with NOM’s Ruth Institute « Prop 8 Trial Tracker http://t.co/eH8sNVM [...]

• 191. Sarah  |  January 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oh, they are up to 10 videos!

Yes, and the contest apparently ends on February 1. There was a press release put out on January 4th, asking for "early bird" videos to be entered by January 6th. So weird. This one went down in flames, I'd say… :)

• 192. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

While not directly involved in politics, a lot of people (myself included prior to meeting BZ) are unaware that due to the mandate to treat others fairly, it was a group of Orthodox Jews who were among the co-founders of the NAACP, and that there are Orthodox Jews who feel that the push for LGBT rights is a continuation of the very civil rights battle for which the NAACP was originally established. Of course, those Orthodox Jews who are in favor of full equality for LGBT people are the ones who are not cloistered away in their own little world, hiding from the rest of the world. A good movie about not only those who are orthodox and anti LGBT, but those who are Orthodox and in favor of Equality is Trembling Before G-d. We have a copy of it here.

• 193. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

And I also look forward to your posts. And I love how this community handles ragers and haters.

• 194. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

That's an excellent documentary, and though I knew Jews were involved with the formation of the NAACP I had no idea they were Orthodox. Just goes to show you that, as in politics, not all conservatives are radical Rightists. Respect.

• 195. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Mwah 2 U 2 then, Monsieur Richard. Thanks.

• 196. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

@ nightshayde. As I read your post, I could not help but notice the name of their IT guy. Jake LaBouef! Sounds like a perfect name for a Chippendale Dancer, doesn't it?

• 197. Lesbians Love Boies  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Do Chipendale dancers till exist?

• 198. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh dude, you've inspired a bumper sticker: "INEQUALITY MAKES YOU LOOK FAT."

• 199. Rhie  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Awesome, thanks! I love good documentaries and Netflix has it, so it is now in my insta-queue. I'll let you know what I think :)

• 200. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I doubt they'll have it as I don't think it was ever released commercially, but look and see if they've got a copy of the documentary "Flowers from the Heartland." It was about supporters from all over the country who sent bouquets and congratulatory notes to the couples getting married in San Francisco during Gavin Newsom's marriage equality. They didn't start filming until the third day or so, but it still made me cry. Recommended.

• 201. Rhie  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

They don't have it…do you know where I could watch it?

• 202. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Dang. I don't. I bought a copy and lent it to someone who never returned it. Let me poke around the internet for a sec….

• 203. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

And thank you. And keep coming back!

• 204. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I think they had some videos and calendars. I don't know if the troupe itself is still around, though. Hope so. Would be nice sometime when we take an anniversary trip[ to have a chance to see another one of their shows.

• 205. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I will go to the contact us link at Wolfe Video and see if they can somehow get it for distribution. This sounds like something that needs to have a wider audience.

• 206. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

You can buy it online at Amazon for about five bucks (which is about the cost of a rental anyway, and you can pass it along or have showings): http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywo

There are a couple previews on YouTube–here's the florist talking about the orders coming in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwGMkZzew1c&fe

• 207. Elizabeth Oakes  |  January 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

…and I am reminded by looking at IMDB that it's short, under 30 minutes. But worth seeing.

• 208. Tigger  |  January 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Dammit. I wish this company would stay out of politics. Their lemon pie and waffle cut fries are so effin delicious. Back to Burger King. :(

• 209. Alex Gill-Gerards  |  January 8, 2011 at 2:56 am

I understand what you have stated but now you have stated that you think the CASC won't decide if the Proponents of Prop 8 have standing. Since there isn't a deadline as to when the CASC has to answer the Certified Question then we would be waiting for several months if not years. My opinion I think they will address this important Certified Question within a timely matter.

• 210. Kathleen  |  January 8, 2011 at 3:06 am

Alex, I think you misunderstood my last comment. When I said "Either way, the CA SC will not decide whether Proponents have federal standing," I was referring to the fact that the CA SC doesn't have the authority to determine the question of federal standing. That's not the question they were asked to answer by the 9th Circuit. See the second paragraph of my comment above (at 8:10pm). I wasn't saying that the CA SC wouldn't answer the question asked of them.

I agree with your opinion that they will weigh in and they will do so in a timely manner. That's my guess as well.

• 211. Lightning Baltimore  |  January 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

Commenting is open once again, and all former comments are gone. I posted this:

I have never in my life thought of the word married as "boring."

When I was young, I often felt as though I'd never meet someone and get married. When I met my partner, just over 17 years ago, I somehow just knew he was the one. We were very different, but something brought us together. My love for him has only grown stronger over the ensuing years. I can't imagine a life without him in it. He is the half that makes me whole, so to speak. I can think of no word I want more to describe our relationship and commitment to one another than "married."

When I clicked the submit button, I got this:

Success!

Your comment was submitted successfully and will need to be approved by an admin before appearing on the site. Thank you for your comment and joining the conversation. Love Is reserves the right to remove your comment.

Anyone wanna take bets on it getting posted?

I took screenshots, as usual. ^_^

• 212. Sarah  |  January 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I am officially not eating at there ever again!

• 213. Ronnie  |  January 9, 2011 at 4:59 am

Ty, Nick…actually….It was reported that the father of her first born is married & has a family of his own…I sense bitterness in her & a hint of jadedness…to be perfectly honest…that is part of what makes me feel almost sorry for her….I don't know much about her personal biases but her public ones are very telling….. <3…..Ronnie

• 214. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

TRUE Nightshayde!!!! thx for that!

• 215. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 9, 2011 at 11:45 pm

funny BK…guess I'm "out"

• 216. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Tx EO…had not heard of that one…searching…
    started with this little youtube snippet…just seeing happy couples warmed my heart….and yes a few tears… I want SO BADLY to marry my dear hubby and to be recognized on a federal level …sigh… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDKVcNP5MM

• 217. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 10, 2011 at 12:03 am

• 218. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  January 10, 2011 at 12:04 am

• 219. Joe Johnson  |  January 10, 2011 at 3:14 am

awesome. i will be eating more chick-fil-a.

• 220. Ronnie  |  January 10, 2011 at 3:17 am

Obvious Troll is obvious….. 8 / ….Ronnie

• 221. fiona64  |  January 10, 2011 at 3:20 am

Obvious troll is obvious …

• 222. Ken Webb  |  January 10, 2011 at 6:14 am

I had written a note to my local franchise about why I would no longer frequent the company. Here is a copy of the most current email:

The issue at point is not that someone supplied food.  I love the fact that you host the wonderful family nights and provide excellent outreach to families in the area.

The new web program – "Reel Love Challenge" with the Ruth Institute is actually hosted and pulled up by the web site "Love Is – web page that is owned and copyright with WinShape, the portion of the company that is for nonprofit and for the betterment of people.

Again, the issue is not that someone shared some food. That is a necessary thing that is wonderful and generous and greatly needed in many areas of the USA.

The Reel love project is directly hand in hand with the Ruth Institute – which is a division of NOM. NOM makes it clear on all levels they do not in anyway support equality for any gay person.

As a gay man who has been active in my communities all throughout my life – I find that this is at the very least – horrifically disheartening that a religious group would specifically set it's self up to make sure they did as much as they can be sure that Gay people everywhere are stigmatized and placed into a box that classifies them as incapable and undeserving of equality with their peers.   The information that is presented that is less than honest that demands I not be treated equally to my peers based exclusively on a single trait of my life – that as a gay individual.

I do not subscribe to any political thought, religious, or personal feeling that demands any group or citizen of the USA be treated as less than equal and treated as such and then to have the laws changed of the USA to insure that the inequality is enforced.

I expect everyone to be treated with dignity and honor as well as respect and to be treated equally in all rights afforded to all people in the USA and across the world.

Because my personal beliefs dictate fairness, equality, dignity and respect to everyone, I cannot in good conscious give my business to a company that in their dealings seeks to undermine basic rights to American Citizens, no matter how quietly that action is taken or how benign it may appear to be.

NOM and its youth oriented division The Ruth Institute and the video contest offered up with Winshape and posted to and promoted by the Ruth Institute both on Facebook and on the net clearly indicates their stance on the issues in play.

It saddens me that the fantastic organization that is Winshape and S. Truett Cathy would participate with NOM.

It is what is is and it appears that the ideology is in line for both organizations.  It is just a disappointment that of the many ways there are to help people in a community, the one way chosen is to align with an organization that is specifically designed to destroy the rights and equality of gay people everywhere.

You may personally feel that I, as a gay man should not ever be allowed the freedom and the right to marry the one I love and to have a committed relationship and to be afforded the same rights and freedoms and privileges that others may enjoy.   The issue is have is when the personal belief is turned into a national event that seeks to take away any possibility of that right by demanding changes to the state and or federal constitution so that that personal opinion is turned into a law and there by becomes the enforced destruction of my rights and liberties as well as anyone who is like me.

Sincerely,

Mr. Webb

From: Laguna Niguel FSU
    To: nek bbew
    Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 11:21:50 AM
    Subject: RE: Reason for removal from FaceBook and to boycott all Chick-fil-a

Mr. Webb,

It truly breaks my heart for the recent CONFUSION that has been created with respect to the below. One of our independent Restaurant Operators in Pennsylvania, at his discretion, agreed to provide food to 2 small workshops being held in his community to help couples grow stronger marriages and families. What he did was consistent with the historical position of our Restaurants to support local organizations (schools, colleges, places of worship, businesses, etc.) with free food service. It is extremely important for you to understand that each Chick-fil-A is its own individual business, but I am proud that our Chick-fil-A Operators and their employees work hard every day to go the extra mile in serving ALL of our customers with honor, dignity and respect.

I hope this brings some clarification to this matter, but if you would like to talk to someone in person, please feel free to contact Chick-fil-A Corporate at 1-866-CFA-2040.

I sincerely hope you will reconsider allowing us to serve you at Chick-fil-A and that you will have the opportunity to look further into who Chick-fil-A and what we stand for.

It has been an honor serving you and I hope that we will get to continue to do so in the future.

Have a great day!

Casey Hughes
    Owner/Operator
    Chick-fil-A Laguna Niguel FSU
    phone: 949-448-8447
    02682@chick-fil-a.com

From: nek bbew [mailto:nek_bbew@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:26 PM
To: Laguna Niguel FSU
Cc: dan@dantcathy.com
Subject: Reason for removal from FaceBook and to boycott all Chick-fil-a

It has come to my attention that the corporation that is a part of Chick-fil-a is co sponsor of certain items that are set out to deny equal rights to gay people.

It has come to my attention that WinShape is a sponsor of parts of The Ruth Institute (and thereby NOM ) and their anti-gay media and other anti-gay presentations.

Your rights to do as you wish are yours but at this point, due to this information we will no longer visit any of the Chick-fil-a restaurants and will be sharing with friends and loved ones WinShape's direct support of anti-gay legislation and will encourage others to re-evaluate their patronage of your businesses

I understand that this is not the corp contact email but it was the best link to use as I live in the market area for the Laguna Niguel store and used to frequent that store often.

I agree that stronger families are important to many – if not every single person with any amount of common sense – but to align and to help sponsor the NOM spin off group designed to focus on children called The Ruth Institute defiantly allows you to drawn your lines in the sand on where you stand and what your stand for as well as who you stand against.

Sincerely,

Mr. Webb

• 223. Munk  |  January 21, 2011 at 4:39 am

(First-time commenter, long-time reader, and all that …)
    And my reply from them today, and my response:

Dear Mr. Jordan,

I'm not sure what you're referring to re providing food to a seminar in PA that happened to have a conservative focus. That wouldn't, and doesn't, bother me a bit. Contrary to popular belief, most of us liberals believe in privacy, tolerance and minimal governmental oversight, like many conservative folks. We fully support the right of any business to operate in service of anyone and everyone — in the course of its business. I truly believe that your employees provide genuine smiles and service to anyone who walks up to their counters — with said honor, dignity and respect.

It's harder to explain how WinShape Foundation sponsored the Ruth Institute's "LoveIsHere" focus and contest, as evidenced by having its logo at the bottom of the page. To my knowledge, WinShape Foundation has never provided food at an event. It is not a restaurant. The Ruth Institute's major focus these days is on preventing the acceptance and legalization of same-sex marriage. That, too, is within its right; it's an organization with a clearly stated purpose. I don't have to like it in order to support its right to exist and operate. I will certainly not send it money.

But you guys are supposed to be making sandwiches. Really good ones, I might add. And milkshakes to die for. But when you choose to spend some of the revenue from selling those sandwiches in support of an organization that is only out to harm others in the name of "tradition," it becomes absurd. I simply do not want my dollars or the dollars of my other community members going to support that. I think that if you put the Chick-Fil-A logo on there instead of the WinShape logo, many heads would turn and eyebrows would raise. (And yes, I know the site has been taken down, but screen shots were captured.) You certainly benefit from the cover of peoples' ignorance of the connection there.

So somebody has to tell them. I've turned at least four people and their families off Chick-Fil-A in the past two weeks. I'm going to keep working at it.

I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
    (Munk)

—————————————————————————–
    From: Chick-fil-A Cares1
    To: (Munk)
    Sent: Fri, January 21, 2011 1:07:47 PM
    Subject: Chick-fil-A Response

Dear (Munk):

In regards to your comments, one of our independent Restaurant Operators in Pennsylvania was asked to provide sandwiches to two Art of Marriage video seminars. Chick-fil-A does its best to serve our local community and one of the ways we do that is by providing food to schools, colleges, civic groups, businesses, places of worship, not-for-profit groups, etc. At his discretion, the local Operator agreed to simply provide a limited amount of food. Our Chick-fil-A Operators and their employees try very hard every day to go the extra mile to serving ALL of our customers with honor, dignity and respect. For more details on this matter, please visit Chick-fil-A’s page on Facebook.

Sincerely,

Matthew Jordan
    Chick-fil-A CARES
    Chick-fil-A…We Didn't Invent The Chicken,
    Just The Chicken Sandwich.
    On the Web at http://www.chick-fil-a.com

• 224. Kathleen  |  January 21, 2011 at 4:52 am

Excellent letter! Thanks for posting here and do let us know if you get a response. And please come back often!

• 225. Munk  |  January 21, 2011 at 4:59 am

It's funny … I'm not cut out for confrontation at all — whenever I sent a letter like this and then get a reply, I actually feel a pit in my stomach before opening it. Wuss. But sometimes you just have to say it anyway, right?
    (Being gay is very inconvenient for someone who doesn't like conflict! Of course, since I chose it, it's my own fault, right? heh)

• 226. Kathleen  |  January 21, 2011 at 5:11 am

I really do understand what you mean about confrontation. I know it might be hard for some people here to believe, but I don't look for it and am not particularly comfortable with it myself. But sometimes you just have to stand up for something (or someone) whether it's comfortable or not.

You did yourself proud in this exchange. :)

• 227. Richard A. Jernigan  |  January 21, 2011 at 6:24 am

They gave what to me is only half a response to you , Munk. Your letter to them was very clear about your concerns, and they only addressed part of that. As Kathleen said, keep us posted on whether you get a response to the rest of the issues. And welcome to the P8TT family. Hope to hear more from you in the near future!

• 228. ETJB  |  January 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm

We do sometimes see a large businesses that tend to align heavy with the cultural-political right and (to a lesser extent) the left. I generally avoid fast food, except sometimes if I am on the road working or not going to come home until late, I may grab a Subway or some KFC.. If you are going to dine out, try different; ethnic food, vegetarian options, local dinners, etc. Or maybe do a little pot luck, where you can meet and greet with gay or gay-friendly people in your town.

• 229. Free games&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

Catch it…

[...]Cool website[...]…

• 230. free stuff&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

Get it…

[...]Cool info[...]…

• 231. Tegaderm Film&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm

tegaderm film dressings…

[...]just below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, however, I decided to promote them because I like them[...]…

• 232. free website&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Get it…

[...]Here is another great site[...]…

• 233. labor day weekend 2011&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Blogging Internet…

[...]we like to honor other sites on the web, even if they aren’t related to us, by linking to them. Below are some sites worth checking out[...]…

• 234. Easy Methods to Remit to &hellip  |  May 20, 2011 at 12:39 am

ICICI Money to India…

[...]these are several url links to web sites we link to seeing as we think they will be seriously worth visiting[...]…

• 235. diseases of the digestive&hellip  |  September 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

diseases of the digestive system…

• 236. Prop 8 Trial Tracker &raq&hellip  |  December 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

[...] This Golden Oldie recalls the story Jeremy broke on Chick-Fil-A partnering with NOM, which made headline news around the country and spurred a continuous boycott. The extensive comment thread on the news with 234 comments can be found here. [...]