Golden Oldies open thread, December 22nd

Community/Meta

An original version of this post was published on Sunday, December 19th, 2010. We’ll be having an open thread every night of the week leading up to Christmas for submissions on your favorite pieces of the year.

Over at my home blog, OpenLeft.com, we on the management team like to take the holidays off to rest, recharge, etc. While folks are often driven to write anyway because of current events or inspiration, what we do to keep things lively is feature past pieces that our readers particularly like. We call them “Golden Oldies”.

My tenure running the shop here ends on Christmas, as I plan to recharge as well (and travel), although I may continue at some point in the future. In the meantime, I decided to bring the same idea to P8TT. For the upcoming holiday season between Christmas and New Year’s, I’ll be re-posting some of the more interesting/provocative/brilliant front page pieces from P8TT’s history. The reason is because not everyone has a chance to read every piece throughout the year. As many of you know, if you Google “Prop 8 Trial”, it takes you here, and many folks who came here because they did that during the 9th Circuit hearing, or simply because they just heard about the blog, haven’t had a chance to read some of the better, more insightful pieces from the blog’s history.

So, we’d like to open up the floor to you to recommend your favorite stuff. It could be live-blogging from the Judge Walker’s district courthouse. It could be NOM tour posts, whether the national tour or the California tour. It could be a commentary piece you find particularly insightful that I did, or Eden, Julia, Rob, Jeremy Hooper, Karen Ocamb, Arisha, Rick, or someone else. Just leave a URL in the comments and we’ll pick the best suggestions. And of course, the management has ideas of our own.

To help you find the URLs, I recommend using the Categories “tags” on the right side of the page you’re currently viewing (they say Community/Meta, DADT Trial… NOM Tour Tracker… etc.). And if you want to go back to find earlier posts beyond the page you’re viewing, scroll down to the bottom and hit the “Older Posts” button. You can keep doing that to scroll back and back. Or, you could just use Google, and I recommend inserting the words “Prop 8 Trial Tracker” in your query along with whatever terms you remember, such as the author or topic. If you simply can’t find it, try asking your fellow P8TTers to help in the comments. And if you like someone’s nomination, be sure to leave a comment “second!” or “third!” or whatnot so we know what the good stuff is. An example is here.

I’ll be asking you as an open thread each night throughout the week leading up to Christmas.

So, what are your favorites?

• 1. Ronnie  |  December 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

Trevor Project Annual Report for FY2010….. : I ….Ronnie:

• 2. Ann S.  |  December 22, 2010 at 10:20 am

§

• 3. Sagesse  |  December 22, 2010 at 10:21 am

Subscribing, catching up.

• 4. JonT  |  December 22, 2010 at 12:26 pm

• 5. Rhie  |  December 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Tick…

• 6. elliom  |  December 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Hi all. We over at Feed Equality are having a virtual Festivus party, and we'd like to extend an invitation to all our P8TT family. Come on over and air some grievances (but please be adult about it)! Tell us about your Festivus pole (and get your mind out of the gutter :>)! Witness a Festivus miracle (a common or …easily explainable event)? Share 'em all with us! This is your chance to let all those who dissapointed you over the last year to really have it!

Event location (open to the public): http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=15430882461

• 7. Carpool Cookie  |  December 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I think my favorite thread was was the NOM (?) tour was going on, and they were trying to keep the Trial Trackers away from their confused, Spanish-speaking soap opera star. (I don't remember her name.) (Because she was kind of a nobody.) Anyway, the funny thing was she had been brought on board to attract some press, then none showed up, and NOM was scrambling to keep her away from the only reporters there…the Trial Trackers! Then there was all the drama with them ordering her on the bus mid-interview (like there were CROWDS waiting for them somewhere) and she abandoned ship shortly after.

Ah, good times…. (signed, Jerri)

• 8. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I appreciate all the Legal Documents Kathleen and others have Scribed and/or posted and the ensuing analysis by the P8TT community. I have very limited legal experience and I find reading the legal rulings, petitions, reports etc FASCINATING and illuminating!

I read Lord of the Rings by Tolkien cover-to-cover every year or so for inspiration and literary entertainment….I plan to add reading Judge Walker's ruling as something to re-read often for additional inspiration and motivation!

• 9. Leo  |  December 23, 2010 at 12:05 am

Speaking of legal documents, I think today is the deadline for the government's opening brief in DOMA appeal?

• 10. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 23, 2010 at 12:17 am

yep. "adios" by day 4: http://prop8trialtracker.com/2010/09/30/day-4-on-

• 11. bJason  |  December 23, 2010 at 12:18 am

you beat me to it!!

Come one, come all!!

• 12. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 23, 2010 at 1:10 am

I will be there – love virtual holiday events!

• 13. bJason  |  December 23, 2010 at 5:19 am

Join Feed Equality for the (virtual) Festivus Feast! Going on now.

Ann S., Elliom, Lesbians Loves Boise and I are there at the moment.

take the FB link above then click on the second link to the chat room!