Brunch and a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” post-vote round-up

Don't Ask Don't Tell

I drank from the keg of glory last night, and it was was, well, glorious. Thus, I’m now sitting down to try brunch at a local cafe and type up some post-vote coverage tidbits I thought you’d find interesting.

• AMERICABlog’s Joe Sudbay, a member of our coterie of bloggers working hard to repeal DADT, was on CNN with Justin Elzie. Great interview.

• On
    • And HRC’s Eric Alva, one of the best spokespeople around. He became disabled in the line of duty but can’t continue to serve his country. That will change soon.

• And
      • And the post-vote press conference by Senators who led the way (h/t LLB):

• Reading around mainstream traditional media coverage this morning, I notice a lot of emphasis on the discrimination/second-class citizens/Obama fulfilling a promise to a core constituency, the gays. Let’s not forget that ending this policy will start to strengthen our military the way it has strengthened armed services in other countries. 14,000 discharged. We have to recruit former convicted felons, people who perhaps aren’t as sharp educationally speaking as those who were discharged. We’ve wasted billions on discharge investigations and court-martials. While people like McCain were grandstanding on and on about unit cohesion, disrupting a unit by kicking out a member over an e-mail from his boyfriend back home sure sounds like disrupting cohesion to me. Sure, discrimination must be ended, but there are two aspects of why this is good for America.
      • Speaking of McCain, one more reason to get involved in presidential elections is considering what life would have been like under a McCain administration when it comes to this. People often mock the “it would have been worse under McCain” point when Obama is governing like a Conservadem, but sometimes you really do have to stop and consider it.
      • Speaking of Obama, the White House released this photo of him making calls to Senators yesterday.

Now our President has to make sure Gates and co. don’t drag this out. As do we.

• If you want to look at the final passage roll call, it’s here.
      • There’s an interesting piece in the L.A. Times noting how countries that have enacted marriage equality have ended their military bans on open service first. That’s part of a longer discussion post I’ll try and sit down to write in the next few days, but I think the general point that lawmakers and judges often look at how sexual orientation is treated in other parts of society is absolutely correct. And by the way, repeal of DADT will help the push for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well.

Enjoy the round-up, add some more links if you think they’re worth sharing, and leave a comment on how you celebrated yesterday! Happy Sunday!

• 1. StraightForEquality  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:48 am

• 2. Ann S.  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:52 am

§

• 3. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:56 am

• 4. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 3:00 am

=
    <3…Ronnie

• 5. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 3:26 am

Time to go to work, everybody. We cannot rest on our laurels. We have to keep going on equal rights for everybody.

• 6. Bob  |  December 19, 2010 at 3:40 am

yup, now we gotta see how Obama plays his cards,,,, he can keep working the court angle to keep the pessure on the military brass to move on this thing,,,,,make it a priority, and do it themselves before the courts intervene,,,,, hoping he can play it that way…..

In his letter (e-mail) which I'm sure everyone has read by now, he refers twice to the civil rights battle, which is interesting in itself, and says this is just one part of that battle,,,,, the president himself sees this as a battle for our civil rights, Morse Code , Brown Jacket, Maggot,,, listen up,,,,, you don't get define what our rights are, we do……

The victory of open service, once fully achieved, is a resounding statement, to the religious right, try as they might, they do not control the military….. sad day for all of them to come to that realization…

Our battle for civil rights, (acknowledged by the president) continues… our foes remain religious bigots, and big business including the church….. and we're marching, on the road to equality,,,,, with much help from Courage Campaign,

I still have to admit, hearing Obama say bring that bill to my desk, I'm ready to sign,,,, none of us, probably not even him (in his presidential virginity when he made that statement) knew what it would take to accomplish that, but we learned,

Now we'll be watcing his next move, and maybe , just maybe, we can form a team and work together in coming years to accomplish what it takes to return America to it's righttul place as a beacon of hope for the world…

• 7. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 3:58 am

Bob, first chance you get, click on my name and leave a comment on my blog. This way I can email you safely and we can exchange numbers and/or Skype ID's and hopefully get a chance to talk.

• 8. Ed Cortes  |  December 19, 2010 at 4:07 am

I find it interesting that in the nay (is that neigh?) column, there are NO Democratic votes!! Only manchin failed to even represent his constituency. That makes me wonder why they bothered to elect him, since he can't be bothered to vote!

• 9. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 4:09 am

Joe Manchin won the election to finish Byrd's term based on his family name. A. James Manchin was one of the best we ever had in West Virginia as Secretary of State and the other positions he held throughout his career, and the folks of West Virginia expected Joe to be the same way. Guess he is proving that he will never be able to fill A. James's shoes.

• 10. StraightForEquality  |  December 19, 2010 at 4:53 am

I think Sen. Gregg showed cowardice in these last few days. He refused to publicly take a position and then didn't vote on DADT at all yesterday. He didn't run for re-election so these are his last weeks as Senator. I would think he had little to lose. I wonder what employment future he has in the works….

• 11. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 5:41 am

Wow…the Religious Reich are going nuts…..& proving how ignorant they really are about reality…. : I ….Ronnie:

• 12. Sagesse  |  December 19, 2010 at 5:43 am

Subscribing to read and watch later.

• 13. Kathleen  |  December 19, 2010 at 5:44 am

scribin' from Santa Barbara. Hi SB Mom and our other SB P8TTers!

• 14. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 6:13 am

Here is more…those groups added to SPLC's hate group & anti-gay group lists are proving why they deserve the titles….warning: completely ugly behavior & rhetoric…oh & a whole lot of force the whole of American to be "Christian" going on from them….Right Wing Watch has got be downing the TUMS compiling all this together….because just one is not doing it for me….. :-& ….Ronnie

• 15. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 6:28 am

That is why I always take a Prilosec, then wait 45 minutes before I go to these sites. The Prilosec helps prevent the heartburn before it even gets started.

• 16. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

Another good remedy that is in very HUGE supply this month is peppermint. Something about the oil of peppermint that coats the stomach. And we both know that candy canes, starlight mints and all the other is in HUGE abundance this time of year. Of course, peppermint is also good in hot coffee and hot cocoa, too. Add it to the cup before you pour in the cocoa powder or the brewed coffee. It melts and distributes better if it is already in the cup when the hot liquid is poured over it.

• 17. Straight Ally #3008  |  December 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

Oh, and this is one of my favorites, from the AFA's Bryan Fischer (emphasis mine):

This isn’t a game, and the military should never be used, as is now being done, for massive social re-engineering. The new Marine motto: “The Few, the Proud, the Sexually Twisted.” Good luck selling that to strong young males who would otherwise love to defend their country. What virile young man wants to serve in a military like that?

Bryan, come out of the closet already, and drag Tony Perkins along with you.

• 18. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 19, 2010 at 7:39 am

Also, if I am wrong, I want someone to correct me, but wasn't the worst sexual abuse, sexual assault, rape scandal ever in our military a result of sexually twisted heterosexual men who could not be professional enough to keep their pants on around their female coworkers? I believe it was the Tailhook scandal that Barbara Boxer referred to in her speech yesterday on why DADT needs to be repealed.
    And yes, our military has sexually twisted individuals in it. That is true in all professions. And most of those who are sexually twisted identify themselves as being heterosexual. Probably because heterosexual males are conditioned by society to think that they have to demonstrate sexually athletic prowess in order to be a "real man." What hogwash! A real man knows how to use the head over his shoulders, and does not need to obsess about the head between his legs.

• 19. Straight Ally #3008  |  December 19, 2010 at 8:28 am

Co-signed!

• 20. JonT  |  December 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

'I drank from the keg of glory last night, and it was was, well, glorious.'

Indeed, I did as well, and I'm paying for it today :)

• 21. Tomato  |  December 19, 2010 at 9:02 am

My life is a maelstrom right now (in the last week my apartment flooded and I'm temporarily homeless, my child got injured at school and is now on crutches, my work told me they were cutting back on my hours due to finances, and Christmas has fallen through the cracks). But returning to P8TT today has been a breath of fresh air. I had no time nor energy to celebrate repeal of DADT, but right now I can feel the excitement again.

I'm afraid that excitement will fade as I continue dealing with the maelstrom, but it is so nice to see you all again! It really lifts me up!

• 22. Kate  |  December 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

Where do you live, Tomato? Maybe some of us are nearby and can help?

• 23. Kate  |  December 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

Rats. Supposed to be in response to Tomato's post.

• 24. Tomato  |  December 19, 2010 at 9:51 am

Thank you. I'm ok. My friends and their Unitarian church stepped up to help. I hope my apartment managers will have the walls and floors repaired and I'll be back in my apartment after Christmas. We're heading up to my parents' in a couple days for Christmas, so that will be good.

It is deeply frustrating, especially because it is my kid's last Christmas at home before college and I wanted it to be memorable… but not this way!

In the grand scheme of the universe, it isn't a disaster, and I'm trying to keep it in perspective. (but I still whine)

Again, thank you!

• 25. Santa Barbara Mom  |  December 19, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hi Kathleen! Did you come by boat? Can you even believe all this rain!!! I am soooo happy with congress right now, and sooooo happy my son and his BF are coming home for Christmas!! :o)

• 26. Kate  |  December 19, 2010 at 10:13 am

Glad you're ok. Where do you live?

• 27. Kathleen  |  December 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Hi SB Mom. I know; this rain is crazy! My son and his family came in from NY to enjoy the Cali sun for Christmas and look at what they're getting.

• 28. Ann S.  |  December 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Did you all have hail, too? We had thunder, lightning and hail this evening.

• 29. Gregory in Salt Lake City  |  December 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

s

• 30. rick Jacobs  |  December 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Sorry I got into this so late. I did a lot of phoning today and took a bit of time off. I had a wonderful phone message from Sen. Sherrod Brown congratulating Courage (that would be you) on our work. And our hero, Cong. Patrick Murphy, got a call from the president, will be at the signing ceremony and thanks all of you. I thank him. He truly is a hero.

Oh and I had a long talk with Dan Choi today. We owe him a big debt of gratitude. He put the face on repeal.

• 31. Rhie  |  December 19, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Watching

• 32. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

YouTube video….."A Message from SLDN: Thank You, Rep. Murphy"….

(me)I concur with everyone….Thank you Rep. Murphy for everything you have done to bring down DADT, a huge step forward to Full Equality & the true image of American Freedom….<3…Ronnie:

• 33. Straight Ally #3008  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Of course, the best thing about DADT repeal is the civil rights victory and everything attendant to that, but a close second is the reaction of the Religious Right. Sweet, sweet Schadenfreude! CRY SOME MORE!

• 34. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I tried Ginger Ale…that seems to be working pretty well also…lol….<3…Ronnie

• 35. Ann S.  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Rick, I hope Lt. Choi is getting the help he needs and is recovering well. If you speak to him again, please give him all our best wishes.

• 36. StraightForEquality  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Tomato, I'm sorry to hear of your problems and I hope they are only temporary. May the new year bring you better fortunes!

• 37. Ronnie  |  December 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

The amazing Judy Shepard & her message about the DADT repeal victory……<3….Ronnie:

Views & Voices
    Judy Shepard: Senate vote on gay military service honors our nation’s principles
    By Judy Shepard • Saturday, December 18, 2010

• 38. Santa Barbara Mom  |  December 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

No, it's a "warm" rain from Hawaii. We've had 4 inches in the past 24 hours!

• 39. Ronnie  |  December 20, 2010 at 1:48 am

CA Assemblyman, Tom Ammiano discusses the repeal of DADT……<3….Ronnie:

• 40. Jim  |  December 20, 2010 at 4:00 am

Does anyone know whether the signing ceremony has been scheduled yet?

• 41. Don’t Ask Don’&hellip  |  December 20, 2010 at 8:29 am

[...] of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is now on its testing grounds. The Pioneer Press explained DADT policy will still be in effect for 60 days, enough time to sort things out and make the transition [...]

• 42. Best Colon Cleanse&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

Learn About Colon Cleanse…

[...]the time to read or visit the content or sites we have linked to below the[...]…

• 43. Woodworking Projects&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Jake’s Woodwork Blog…

[...]just beneath, are a few entirely unrelated sites to ours, however, they are unquestionably worth exploring[...]…