62,000 reasons (and counting) to give back to P8TT today

Community/Meta Prop 8 trial

Please give back to Prop 8 Trial Tracker by making a tax-deductible donation today to the Courage Campaign Institute.

On this afternoon’s 9th Circuit hearing liveblog and chat thread, there were, as of this post, 642 comments (and counting).

On the following thread with analysis and discussion, 137 comments and counting.

And given that there have been more than 62,000 views of this site and counting today, there undoubtedly are far more watching this unfold.

We worked hard to bring you coverage of this trial — previews, live-blogging for those who couldn’t watch, inside views for those who could, and legal analysis for both types of folks. We had quick analysis from some of the best legal minds in the movement for full marriage equality and longer analysis from seasoned experts. And we’re not done — we’ll have more in the coming days of every angle and tidbit out there.

But providing all of this coverage costs time and money. Travel expenses, blogging expenses, lots of other expenses.

That’s why I’d like to humbly ask you to give back to Prop8TrialTracker.com today by making a tax-deductible donation to the Courage Campaign Institute. Every cent of your money will go towards maintaining the coverage you’ve come to use, the community you’ve helped start, and fighting the good fight towards overturning Prop 8 and enshrining the freedom to marry for same-sex couples across our nation.

You can make a secure donation here.

Take a second for me. Go and Google “Prop 8 trial”. As of this post, yes, that’s us in the first search result. And the second. And the third. Together, all of us at the P8TT mothership have helped this site become not only a hub for the best coverage of the Prop 8 trial on the web, but a place where folks in the “movable middle” can go. Think of the benefits when someone unsure about marriage equality clicks here to read. Not to mention a place where one meets the person he will marry, and a community of sharing rapid-response and analysis with each other (we just passed 85,000 comments, and are now over 3.7 million views, since the site launched in January).

We can only maintain that if you give back to P8TT. We want to not just keep the lights on; we want to expand our coverage. We want to be able to report from courtrooms in other states, like in New Jersey with Garden State Equality and Lambda Legal’s lawsuit. We want to continue covering NOM’s movements with sites like NOMExposed.org and efforts like our NOM Tour Tracker travel to make sure what they say and do has the glare of the public spotlight. Most of all, we want to win the freedom to marry for same-sex couples.

We worked hard for you. Can you give back to us?

74 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Bob  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm

thank you so much, how can I make a contribution from Canada, your work and efforts are amazing,,,,

• 2. adambink  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Thanks in advance, everyone.

• 3. DaveP  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

DONE!

Who's next to donate?

• 4. Bob  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

just got to add, the court case was worth watching, but I feel deflated, by the antics of Dems, making the sacrifice to the repubs, giving them their money,,,,,,,, continued tax cuts.

the American people must mobilize, I can't believe watching the teacher, from I think it was New Jersey saying she was optimistic, optimism wouldn't cut it here, without back up action,,,,,,,

If the amercan working class, doesn't mobilize along with the poor, and the LGBT community, we're doomed, the Service Members United still says there is a way but it has to be pushed, Rev Sharpton, says they got to stop that racixm on the airwaves, the steel workers union says they got to fight, what will it take for the PEOPLE to go to the streets, and demand their due, or will we just be paying for the priviledge to watch the republicans shred the American values, and further degrade the working class…..

I guess I'm clarfying my donation would be better spent on someone that endorses action on the ground,

• 5. adambink  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hey Bob, thanks for the very kind words!

I will find out and get back to you ASAP.

Also, huzzah Canada. (grew up 25 minutes from Fort Erie, ONT)

• 6. Bob  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm

sorry for the rant, I suppose I'd still consider some contribution so do let me know Adam,,,,,, I particularily still appreciat your efforts on DADT….. thanks still from Canada,,,,,

and keeping us informed is necessary to motivate action,,,,,, your part is important…….thanks Courage Camaign,,,,,

• 7. Ann S.  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

§

• 8. Alan E.  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I need to wait until Thursday. Gotta run the numbers, but I'm sure I can spare some.

• 9. adambink  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Bob, you can just change your country to Canada in the very first field at the top of the form. Then, the selection box below automatically changes so you can select your province. Let me know if any further questions.

• 10. takemusu  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Tomato and I gave.

• 11. adambink  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Bob, we appreciate the feedback, actually.

Just change the country from US to Canada on the field when you click thru on the link in the post.

• 12. cc  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I'm not exactly sure what to say here. But here goes and feel free to chime in. When we go to the streets and do battle in a full out protest it often has the negative effect of putting those who are "on the fence" in defense mode. However when we can engage those "on the fencers" in an open dialog it allows us to share our knowledge in a more comfortable setting, which in turn allows them to open up and get off the defense. Sometimes all you need is a good honest heart to heart then an all out war. CC and Prop8trail tracker does a little of both, but it stresses telling your story as a way to connect with others.

• 13. Kathleen  |  December 6, 2010 at 12:55 pm

• 14. Sagesse  |  December 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

√ √

• 15. Ronnie  |  December 6, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I'll see what Mom & I can do….<3….Ronnie

• 16. JC (1 of the 18,000  |  December 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Me, too! (Done, that is.)

• 17. Anonygrl  |  December 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I have no money till Friday, when I get paid. Can you hold out till then?

• 18. RockyMissouri  |  December 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Congratulations on continuing great news..! All deserve the same chance for a life of happiness as anybody else…no matter the gender, no matter
    what!

• 19. Carpool Cookie  |  December 6, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Count me in for Friday, too!

: )

• 20. Dave  |  December 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Donated.

I also had a quick question if someone doesn't mind answering. I was looking at the photo of Kathleen and Ann and was wondering which was Kathleen and which was Ann.

• 21. RebeccaRGB  |  December 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

◇◇◆◇◇

• 22. Lynn E  |  December 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Me three.

• 23. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm

We will be sending another donation shortly. Thanks again for all you folks have done for all of us.

• 24. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 6, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Its humbling to hear others in similar situation about "gotta run the numbers" …"no money 'till Friday"… your candid responses prompted me to donate as well : ) Can't think of a better 'tithing" than this!

Love, Gregory

• 25. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 6, 2010 at 11:06 pm

wondering the same!

• 26. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 6, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Ann is the one in the center, Kathleen is to the right. And they are both so lovely. They really do look like sisters, don't they?

• 27. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 6, 2010 at 11:09 pm

!!!! : )

• 28. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 12:06 am

Absolutely to all you three. Mark it down on the calendar! :)

• 29. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:25 am

Ours is only waiting on things to clear at my Credit Union, then we will send it in. That should be Monday or Tuesday of next week.

• 30. Santa Barbara Mom  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:43 am

Making my donation now. This, too, will be my tithing.

• 31. Don  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:45 am

Done! Thank you for the wonderful coverage!

• 32. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:47 am

Thanks Dave and JP!

• 33. Kate  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:48 am

SB Mom, this makes your donation even more special, in my non-Mormon opinion……….

• 34. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:48 am

Thanks for chipping in, Dave.

• 35. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:48 am

Thanks very much. What a great expression.

• 36. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:48 am

Hey Richard, thanks. Happy Chanukah.

• 37. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:49 am

Thanks Don!

• 38. Don  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:51 am

BTW, Adam, are you aware that a pro-Prop8 group is using your logo on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prop-8/103157643072

• 39. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 1:58 am

Actually, rather the reverse!

• 40. Lesbians Love Boies  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:02 am

That's their version Don – it's all good.

• 41. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:02 am

Thank you!!! Every dollar really helps.

• 42. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:05 am

Richard, this means so much! I know how tight things are for everyone.

• 43. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:06 am

Thank you, Dave!

Rick.

• 44. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:07 am

Echoing Adam. Just terrific. I was in SLC for Thanksgiving with my wonderful, liberal sister. We want to do more work there in collaboration with the powerful partners there.

• 45. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:10 am

They sued us over it. Ron Prentice made a point of shaking my hand yesterday, so maybe they won't sue us any more? BTW, all of that costs us money, even though the legal costs for the defense of that lawsuit were pro bono from MoFo.

• 46. Phyllis  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:25 am

Hi Ronnie,
    I am one of the tour trackers that was on the NOM tour. We met in DC. It is people like you and your mom that made it possible for Anthony, Arisha and I to expose NOM for their ridiculous ideas and dangerous propaganda on marriage. Thank you for following us on the P8TT and for your donation. We appreciate it. Happy Holidays

• 47. nightshayde  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:34 am

Donated. Thank you all so much for the work you do!

• 48. Phyllis  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:34 am

Hi Gregory,
    Your right! Tithing monies are meant to be used for doing good for the community. I cant think of a better way than to give back to Courage for all the good they do in the community. What ever community your are apart of I think Courage has done, is doing, or will be doing some good. Thank you for being apart of the P8TT community, and thank you for "tithing"

• 49. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:35 am

Thank you, nightshayde.

• 50. Phyllis  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Hello nightshayde
    It is nice to be appreciated. I know we could not do the work we do without your generous donations. Its awesome to be apart of this community and without people like you P8TT could not exist. Thank you for being apart of this community and thank you for your donation.

• 51. jsteven  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Hey, when donating – don't forget about company matching of donation gifts. If P8TT (or AFER) is not on their list, nominate them for inclusion in your company matching program !

• 52. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:44 am

First, I want to thank Adam Bink for his excellent work. As you all know, I live-blogged the trial itself (with brilliant support from Paul Hogarth and Brian Leubitz). It's hard and rewarding work. Adam did this so well on DADT and the hearing yesterday. And once, again we had Brian adding his analysis.

Second, we are the anti-NOM in so many ways. We do not have a secretive, closed structure. We do not have huge, secret donors. We are open (witness this site) and we rely on the kindness of friends. A $5 donation means a great deal to us because we know it means a lot to the donor. When you make any size gift, whatever is comfortable, it helps us do our work together and it helps us to bind together.

We don't want to be accountable to anyone but you. That's why these contributions mean so much to all of us.

Again, thanks for your support. Think about what we have done during these past eleven months:

140,000 letters asking for the trial to be televised, which was referenced by Judge Walker and by the Supreme Court twice in its dissent.

We TOGETHER read about and engaged in the trial itself. Your comments and the community you formed made P8TT a success.

Your sourcing of stories, following of key people (remember the time you all found the head of the Maryland Capitol Police and got him to apologize?), sharing of experiences made this Tracker and really this organization a success.

You tracked NOM with Arisha, Adam, Anthony, Phyllis, Danny and Eden.

You get the documents up online first, before any other site.

You kept the trial and the message of equality not only alive, but made it personal so that our nation can open itself to the essence of America, which is equality and justice for all.

And guess what? We have not yet begun to fight!

Again, thanks, thanks, thanks.

Rick.

• 53. Chris From CO  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:45 am

Give me till the 17th and its done. Thx again.

• 54. rick jacobs  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:45 am

Agreed. We've gotten money from Microsoft and others because donors got a match.

• 55. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:46 am

Thanks, Adam. And yes, this is our tzedekah. (A Jewish offering). Hope your Chanukkah is bright this year. BTW, how can I send our wedding vid to CCI so the other trackers can see it if they aren't on FB?

• 56. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:51 am

Any time, Rick! If you only knew how much this coverage has meant to us here in Hope Mills, NC.

• 57. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 2:54 am

Hi, Phyllis! I was just telling folks a few days ago that if they haven't met you, Ant, and Arisha that they are in for a real treat! Was so glad to meet you in Raleigh back in August. Hope all is going well for you and your family.

• 58. Bob  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:02 am

Thanks Adam, that was too easy, I like that the contribution form has all the selections globally, would be real cool to see how many donations are made internationally, that has a unique potential for building a global community for LGBT's and their allies…..

I want to encourage any other foriegners to do likewise, even it's the smallest donation, just to get a count of how far reaching this site is, I think that's important…

I can't believe I just did that, I never ever use my credit card over the internet, this is the exception, and I hope that doesn't become addictive like the site itself… but I also like what Mormon mom said about this being her tithing……

Adam, I like I said I loved your push for DADT, but totally forgot to mention the most obvious, your blogging from the court room,,,,, that work alone without saying anything else is worthy of a donation…..

I would like to draw awareness once more to the similarities between our community and that of the indigenous peoples of the globe, they just got special recognition at the United Nations, something they have been fighting a long time for,

I invision a world where one day Rainbow People will warrant that same status, so feel it's so important to begin global connections.

Watching from across the border, I still feel some type of movement or action by the people is probably going to be required here,,, look I was all for Obama but he needs a big kick in the butt, when you look at it , right now he must feel very much alone, he lost huge support in the midterms, the masses sat at home on their a—es , no support at the poles, we now have people saying they would fight shoulder to shoulder with him if he stepped up to the plate, who's going to go first, how can he be assured of any support, I just feel it's going to take a massive outcry from the people to refocus the direction,

There I think I got my money's worth out of my donation, I'll shut up now.

And end with a special thanks to all at Courage Campaign for your work, and allowing me to participate and watch the live action in the court room, the battle you fight, watch and witness is important to all of us across the globe…..

Once America is on equal footing we can move the fight to the next battle ground, usng this very format….

• 59. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:16 am

And if you order DVD's or other merchandise from Wolfe (the distributors for 8:TMP), you can designate which LGBT organization receives the money they give from your purchase. This means you can give twice! Once when you donate directly, and once through your purchases at Wolfe!

• 60. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:18 am

I will see what can be done on our end….not promising, but will try and squeeze a donation out of the 'budget' if at all possible. Everything is so expensive….especially Robert's meds (not all covered by insurance) :-(

• 61. Ann S.  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:47 am

Richard, you are very kind! It was such a great feeling to be there.

• 62. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:53 am

• 63. adambink  |  December 7, 2010 at 3:59 am

Thanks Mark. Even the smallest contribution, combined with other small contributions, makes a large contribution!

• 64. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  December 7, 2010 at 4:58 am

Yeah well so does feeding ourselves, keeping a roof over our heads and paying the nearly $1000.00 a month for meds.
    But we will try to find some funds for you….or will stop reading the blog so as to not be a free loader

• 65. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:08 am

whoa Mark! $1000/month for meds! If I ever strike it rich I send funds your way! Hugs to you and Robert – hope you can manage despite all : )

seems like several here are struggling with $. Bless all you! Love, Gregory

• 66. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:12 am

You aren't a freeloader, Mark. I know it may feel that way when you can't afford to contribute financially, but your comments and flickr links, as well as your other links, are also valuable contributions. Each of us does what he or she can when it comes to contributing.

• 67. Bob  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:19 am

Hey Mark I hear ya, so herre's my suggestion, I only was able to donate fifty bucks, but I'll split that with ya, or if I would have known sooner, you could have taken credit for the fifty and used the tax deduction, which I can't use from Canada, we'll think about that for the future,

take a pass this time, Adam, consider Mark and I each donated 25 bucks.

it does get a little in your face with everyone asking for money, and I got to repeat this, but the LGBT community has hoards of organizations asking for money, why can't we get it together to have one, or two at most, it's a fierce competiion for money, and I do think that some organizations are taking advantage of that, we only need one good one

again consider the other side all funneling their money into NOM, all the money in one place can do something,

• 68. Ann S.  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:22 am

Mark, please don't stop reading and posting. You are a part of this community and we need you here, no matter what.

• 69. Bob  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:23 am

Richard said it right ditto what he said, to Mark

• 70. Bob  |  December 7, 2010 at 5:40 am

cc well said, but I think it differs from with time and circumstance, just compare this telling of stories , which is a highly valued process, and often commented on by readers as a very insightful way of learning to change opinions. as an ongoing process.

and compare that to the present action planned by the Service Members Defense League to make a visible showing of and attempt to force the Senate to seriously engage in and stay engaged until the repeal process is complete, that direct action can have enormous impact, and also requires some funding,

at present, prop8 is a done deal waiting a verdict to inform us of the next step, in the meantime do we stay here telling our stories to support same sex marriage and peoples opinions of it, or do we throw some weight, effort, time, and perhaps money into the effort on the ground re the DADT issue………… which is on the burner right now. begging for action…….

• 71. Morning after video/analy&hellip  |  December 7, 2010 at 9:35 am

[...] this coverage? So do I. Unfortunately, it don’t come free. Chip in to support P8TT so we can keep bringing you the best trial coverage and analysis on the [...]

• 72. Anne  |  December 7, 2010 at 9:42 am

whioops, has been awhile since I donated! will put it on my to do list over the next few days…

Anne

• 73. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  December 9, 2010 at 8:29 am

!!!!!

• 74. takemusu  |  December 11, 2010 at 6:48 am

Tomato purchased US and rainbow flags for the vigil on the 6th. There were a few left over.

Security would not let us bring them in. We could create mayhem doing sword fights in the overflow courtroom with the teeny tiny wooden poles ;-)

We left them with Marriage Equality. Perhaps they'll be used at the protest today of the UN policy lifting protections from execution for LGBT or … the announcement of the decision to strike down 8.

Mark, what Richard said 8-) Take care of Robert, take care of each other. We'll buy the flags for you.