Process beginning to overtake policy on Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell

Don't Ask Don't Tell

Over at AMERICABlog, Joe Sudbay catches Harry Reid live from the Senate floor explaining how the Senate is going to move foward on repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and other issues.

The relevant excerpt:

AND THE OTHER THING THAT I’VE INDICATED — IN FACT I HAD A NUMBER OF CONVERSATIONS, BIPARTISAN IN NATURE, YESTERDAY — WE’RE ALSO TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A TIME TO MOVE FORWARD ON THE DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION BILL. THE ISSUE ON THAT, MADAM PRESIDENT, IS WHAT WE DO WITH AMENDMENTS. AND WITHOUT BELABORING THE POINT HERE, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO CONSIDER DOING A NUMBER OF AMENDMENTS, IF WE HAVE TIME AGREEMENTS ON THOSE AMENDMENTS. BUT JUST TO HAVE AN OPEN PROCESS, AT THIS STAGE, I DON’T SEE HOW WE CAN DO THAT. BUT I WILL CONTINUE TO WORK WITH MY FRIEND, THE CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE, AND OTHERS INTERESTED, BOTH REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS, RECOGNIZING HOW IMPORTANT THAT LEGISLATION IS.

As Joe writes, time is our enemy with the target adjournment date on December 17th. What is also our enemy is the process. As I wrote this afternoon, it is critical that the amendment process be such that pro-repeal votes are enabled to be cast. Meaning, at some point, process begins to take precedence over policy, as we are close to 60 on-the-record pro-repeal votes- but we do not have the votes on policy.

In tomorrow’s Washington Post Topic A, SLDN head Aubrey Sarvis will write the following (bolding mine):

The path for repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” is clear: The National Defense Authorization Act, legislation to fund our troops that includes the repeal provisions, must be called up in the Senate early this week under an approach that ensures senators on both sides of the aisle a fair shot at amendments and debate.

The immediate task for Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will be to find 60 senators to stop a filibuster threatened by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). No debate on the merits of the bill will happen unless a handful of Republicans break off and support funding our troops. If the 42 GOP senators – including several who support repeal of don’t ask – stand with their party on process and procedure, their vote will be an endorsement of the discrimination that has cost 14,000 men and women their jobs and threatened our country’s national security by discharging mission-critical service members.

Let’s hope the Republicans don’t stand with their party and on process and procedure- and that Sen. Reid doesn’t give them an excuse to do so, either.

36 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 4, 2010 at 11:08 am

Here is also hoping that for once, the RepubliCANTs grow up and act as mature men and women and get rid of this piece of discriminatory trash NOW!

• 2. Rhie  |  December 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

Watching

• 3. Bennett  |  December 4, 2010 at 12:23 pm

How can I put this in perspective. Which of these would Republicans stop action on in order to hold their breath until the wealthy get wealthier.

1. Extension of Middle Class Tax Cuts
    2. Repeal of Slavery
    3. Repeal of DADT
    4. Funding the Government
    5. Responding to a military strike by a foreign government. (Dang It, the president can act without them on this one)
    6. Confirming Judges
    7. Repealing Healthcare (bling bling, everyone has their price, even these Republicans)
    8. Impeaching the president (maybe this one)

This has got to be the worst behavior on the part of Republicans I have seen. Can't believe I used to be one.

• 4. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm

All of the above.

• 5. Ann S.  |  December 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Watching and waiting

• 6. Kathleen  |  December 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm

• 7. Sagesse  |  December 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

And you wonder why they call it sausage-making.

• 8. Hanou  |  December 4, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Mr. Weiner's comments on health care for 9/11 heroes is rather relevant to this.
    "We see it in the United States Senate every single day, where members say, 'We want amendments, we want debate, we want amendments—but we're still a 'No.' You vote yes if you believe yes…if you believe it's the right thing. If you believe it's the wrong thing, you vote no."

"I will not stand here and listen to my colleague say 'oh. if only I had a different procedure that allows us to stall, stall, stall' and then vote 'no.'" Instead of standing up and defending your colleagues in voting 'no' on this humane bill, you should urge them to vote 'yes'—something the gentleman has not done."

• 9. Ronnie  |  December 5, 2010 at 12:46 am

ditto….<3…Ronnie

• 10. Chris in Lathrop  |  December 5, 2010 at 12:48 am

I have always believed that there are some merits to *fiscal* conservatism (like fix problems with programs that don't work or don't spend money on them). Social conservatism, however, I have very little use for. But it is the GOP Party lockstep why I will never, ever vote for a Republican. GOP policy is the tyranny of the majority (and in this case, of the minority) that Jefferson warned about.

• 11. Alan E.  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:22 am

I am way behind. catching up later. 1 more day until the trial!

• 12. James Tuttle  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:28 am

YAY!!! In 24 hours we will all be watching the trial with great anticipation!!! Hopefully we will be able to glean some sort of ideas about a ruling from the questions asked. I'm very excited!!!

• 13. Kathleen  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:30 am

In Burbank airport now, waiting to board a flight to Oakland. Yah!!

• 14. Ed  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:44 am

T-minus 23 hours…….:)

• 15. Ed  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:45 am

Oh…..also, Nom and the right wing websites are going absolutely nutz…..bitching about this and that. Kind of funny, considering that our legal team has been very quiet lately. Any thoughts on this?

• 16. Ray in MA  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:50 am

Senator Sessions says it's OK for gay athletes to shower with straight athletes!!!

You gotta see this one!

• 17. Ed  |  December 5, 2010 at 3:51 am

Seems akin to 2 students in a college course. One student is very diligent, studying through out the semester, keeping good grades, etc, while the other student has been screwing off during the semester. Now that it is time for the final exam, the diligent student will be able to get rested up, not overly nervous about the final. The other student? Pulling an all nighter, making crazy claims to discredit the professor, freaking out the day before the exam.

• 18. Ray in MA  |  December 5, 2010 at 4:44 am

Cooool!

Where a big purple easter hat in case you get in the courtroom so we can spot you!!!

• 19. Kate  |  December 5, 2010 at 5:01 am

Of COURSE they'll let Kathleen in — she's KATHLEEN, after all! (Same goes for Ann S. and Alan E., who will be there with her.) Anybody else joining them? I'm SO envious, I can hardly stand it.

• 20. Kate  |  December 5, 2010 at 5:02 am

And then suing later to have his grade reversed.

• 21. James Tuttle  |  December 5, 2010 at 5:09 am

OHHH I would like to be able to spot you guys in the news coverage…I love putting faces to names. =-)

• 22. Lynn E  |  December 5, 2010 at 5:45 am

I can hear it now…. "But Professor, I don't have to take the test. The entire history of our civilization PROVES that I should get an "A"."

• 23. Steve  |  December 5, 2010 at 6:05 am

But all throughout the semester it seemed that that was plenty of time to get the work done! It wasn't necessary to start right away.

• 24. Carpool Cookie  |  December 5, 2010 at 6:35 am

What do you know, my mother was right: Don't EVER Vote Republican.

• 25. JonT  |  December 5, 2010 at 6:37 am

• 26. Carpool Cookie  |  December 5, 2010 at 6:38 am

Where's the best catfight? Link, please!

(I don't usually eavesdrop on that scummy crowd…life's too short, and I just knowl they'll give me a heart attack, someday. But maybe just this once……)

• 27. Carpool Cookie  |  December 5, 2010 at 6:40 am

Mmm-hmm. I bet the flake student's unlikely to known what it is to struggle, either.

(ring ring)

"Mommie? Daddy?"

• 28. Will S.  |  December 5, 2010 at 9:47 am

NEW on The Will of The People/ wavnetradio.com

Why We Must NEVER Repeal DADT

• 29. Ronnie  |  December 5, 2010 at 9:48 am

Un-American, Fascist Ingrate…. > I ……Ronnie

• 30. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 5, 2010 at 9:56 am

T minus 17 hours and 4 minutes.

• 31. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 5, 2010 at 10:07 am

I remember when I was taking my courses for my Associate of Applied Sciences in Business Administration with an emphasis on entrepreneurship. I saw the agony of the guys who were in the second year trying to get their business plans and the associated PowerPoint slide presentations done so that they could give their timed presentations as if they were speaking to potential investors. I was not about to put myself through that, so I started gathering my information the first week of my first semester of classes. I also asked the instructor for a copy of the guide file that I would need to put on my computer so that I could go ahead and begin typing that up for the purpose of editing and revising as needed. And to be honest, I still did not feel that I had enough time to get everything together the way I wanted it.

• 32. Richard A. Jernigan  |  December 5, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ronnie, go back and read the article that link goes to. The article is satire. He is firing his message in favor of the repeal of DADT using the sme type of gun that Norman Lear used when he wrote MASH to show why we should not engage in war.

• 33. Ronnie  |  December 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

I don't like it….some fascist homophobic bully would, with out a doubt in my mind, use those statements….sometimes satire is ok…but sometimes it is harmful…. : / ….Ronnie

• 34. Ronnie  |  December 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

This was to Richard….anywho….I mean…I thought something was off about what the link went to…but like I said…whatevs… : / …..Ronnie

• 35. Steve  |  December 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

Starting late with learning or assignments worked for me for the most part. Yeah, I sometimes put myself through unnecessary rushing or – more often – long hours, but my grades were just fine at the end. And the upside were many days of doing no work at all :p

And I didn't pull any BS like making up excuses why I wasn't done yet or why I needed more time. The only time I did that, the reasons were more or less beyond my control.

Yeah, not the best work ethic to display at a real job, I know….

• 36. BREAKING: DADT repeal lik&hellip  |  December 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

[...] Sen. Lieberman affirms that the biggest obstacle to repeal is process, not policy. In what appears to be a response to reports that Sen. Collins is not negotiating in good faith, [...]