DADT under fire on Veterans Day: Pentagon study leaked; veterans and families call for repeal

DADT trial

by Andy Kelley
New Media Organizer, Courage Campaign

There’s been a lot of movement around “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in the past 24 hours:

Yesterday, Courage Campaign joined Iraq war veteran Congressman Patrick Murphy in asking veterans and their families to amplify their voices on Veterans Day — and call on the Senate to act now to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”

Your response has been amazing and within 24 hours, 30,364 people have responded, including 5,801 veterans and their families.

Also today, much of the long-awaited Pentagon study on implementing a repeal of DADT has been leaked, with the Washington post reporting Pentagon sources saying the study found the impact of its repeal to “be positive, mixed or nonexistent.”

A Pentagon study group has concluded that the military can lift the ban on gays serving openly in uniform with only minimal and isolated incidents of risk to the current war efforts, according to two people familiar with a draft of the report, which is due to President Obama on Dec. 1.

More than 70 percent of respondents to a survey sent to active-duty and reserve troops over the summer said the effect of repealing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy would be positive, mixed or nonexistent, said two sources familiar with the document. The survey results led the report’s authors to conclude that objections to openly gay colleagues would drop once troops were able to live and serve alongside them.

Certainly these findings aren’t unexpected, but do serve to confirm what military leaders, Senators, and servicemembers have been saying all along: That the time to repeal DADT is now. Though opponents of the repeal will certainly attempt to mis-categorize isolated responses from the study, supporters of DADT’s repeal can now add the weight of a 370 page study, from the frank opinions of nearly 550,000 active duty or reservist servicemembers and their spouses, to their ever growing list of supporters.

Elsewhere, the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network released this video, highlighting the sacrifice of all our servicemembers this Veterans Day. Can you tell which ones are gay?

We couldn’t either.

• 1. Ronnie  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:54 am

Repeal it….NOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!…..<3…Ronnie

• 2. Ann S.  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:55 am

• 3. Kathleen  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:57 am

I concur.

• 4. Clift  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

"objections to openly gay colleagues would drop once troops were able to live and serve alongside them."

They are living and serving with lgbt service members as we speak.

• 5. Dave in ME  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:01 am

The people have spoken? Or will they say now that it's got to be 100% of the people who accept teh gay for it to really be the people speaking…

Dave in Maine

• 6. Rhie  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

They keep forgetting that don't they.

This was almost certainly a strategic "leak."

• 7. nightshayde  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oh noez! We have to protect the interests of the minority (unless, of course, that minority is pro-equality).

*sigh*

• 8. Fr0zt  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Make sure to call Harry Reid and ask him to — just once in his political life — not fuck this up.

• 9. Elizabeth Oakes  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I hope the media leaks it a little louder, I didn't see anything about it until I came here.

• 10. Ronnie  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Iana Di Bona has posted the video for Day 10 of the Civil Rights Fast being done by Alan Bounville…..He has been getting threats from family members * others who he doesn't talk too because they don't support him…. : / ….Ronnie:

"My resolve is as strong as steal" ~ Alan Bounville

• 11. Kathleen  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The story came from the Washington Post. I think it's out there.

• 12. nightshayde  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I heard it on the radio this morning.

• 13. grod  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:48 pm

@ Dave in Maine
    Re NOM's requirement to disclose information to Maine's Commisssion of Governments Ethics and election Practices.

• 14. Ronnie  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm

uggg…wrong word…I'm not feeling well today…I've had a headache all day….correction to the quote….<3..Ronnie

‎"My resolve is as strong as steel" ~ Alan Bounville

• 15. Elizabeth Oakes  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

And um, anyone seen it on Fox News, I wonder? :P

• 16. grod  |  November 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm

@ Dave in Maine
    Re Commission of Gov Ethics and Election Practices

Sorry about that, the posting got away from me.
    I have tried to follow developments re NOM through the Commission's minutes. These have not been posted since August. Any reason?
    Missed you occasional interventions.

• 17. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Waiting for, and dreading, McCain's response.

• 18. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm

From Servicemembers United for Veterans Day

• 19. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Signed "faithfully". Really??

National Organization for Marriage: Newsletter

• 20. Kathleen  |  November 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Should we tell Brian the difference between GLAD and GLAAD?

• 21. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

We could try. Although I can't remember the last time he wanted to be confused with the facts.

• 22. Kathleen  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:10 pm

It seems such an amateurish mistake to make.

• 23. Ann S.  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I confess I've made it. But then, I am an amateur. Brian's the professional!

• 24. Kathleen  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:12 pm

But then, I admit I have trouble remembering the difference between FOtF, FRC, and many other orgs. Maybe it's the same for him – they're all just "the enemy."

• 25. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:25 pm

As has been so truthfully pointed out, the only way to really know if someone is gay is when he or she self-identifies, or when you meet their entire family, including his husband or her wife.

• 26. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:27 pm

He gets points from his God for misrepresentations. Perhaps he even gets points for unintentional ones.

• 27. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Prop 8 judge to teach at UC-Berkeley

• 28. Leo  |  November 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

But the quote does say "openly gay"

• 29. Ann S.  |  November 11, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Wonderful! But why must they mention the appalling John Yoo? Sometime I must tell you all about the time I had a nightmare about him.

And I'm still not accepting the new name. It will always be Boalt Hall to me.

Oh, and I think they'll revoke my membership in the alum association if I fail to say —

Go Bears!

• 30. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  November 11, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Someone please tell me why I even tried to read that. Now I'm upset.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 31. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Ann S.,

The John Yoo make me cringe, but the first article I saw had a photoshopped picture of Judge Walker as a pimp in a white fur hat and coat…. WHAT?

• 32. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm

The John Yoo 'reference' that should be.

• 33. Sagesse  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Sorry. I almost didn't post it, and I don't subscribe myself. Perhaps we should have a 'more hateful than usual' warning label? On second thought, that would just inspire them.

• 34. Chris B  |  November 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I find it ironic they use the phrase "turning…back to the courts to do the dirty work" when, as we were reminded a few posts above, NOM recently turned to the courts several times so they would not have to follow disclosure laws. Courts against us=bad. Courts for us=good.

• 35. Bob  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Sagesse, I'm glad you posted it, it's the truth according to the other side, that's where their minds and hearts are, and also gives an indication of future plans and determination.

There side hears this and thinks they're winning, just give more money, we almost got what we want.

He used the word inevitable, as to what we think of our struggle, what he doesn't know is that we are working to make it so, we don't use the term from a place of complacency.

One goal we both share in common is stopping each other in our tracks. Great goal, but when we stop, will be when discrimination ends, and we all have equal rights. They don't understand that part, nor will they until after the fact.

• 36. Chris in Lathrop  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:12 pm

At worst, we already know what to expect from McLame: politically-corrected, sanitized homophobia. At best, we can expect a politically-expedient endorsement.

@John McCain: Discrimination is not the American policy, discrimination is not the American policy, discrimination is not the American policy.

• 37. Bob  |  November 11, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Reaction to Alan's ACTION been thinking about him all night, and how typical it would be for a family like his to react in that way. My sister would call sayng get a grip, you're making a fool of yourself, and you're upsetting mom, everyones' talking about it. My mother would call and say this is so embarrassing and so hard on me, do you realize people are calling me, and the whole church is talking. Please think about me, stop being so stupid and drawing attention to yuorself and our family, we raised you better than that. And this would be their way of expressing love, cause they would be trying to protect me, imagine you could die from this foolishness,

there are lots of judgements about this action, and even denial, it is too uncomfortable for most of us to even have a serious thought about , We react strangely to thinkis we find uncomfortable, just see the ways people respond negatively to something they don't understand or want to.

This could be a learning opportunity for us, if we open our minds and look at it from that perspective, on a very basic level the dr can learn some things about what happens to the body during fast, scientific stuff,

We don't know how far Alan will go, at what point he may change his goal and for what reason,

What I see is Alan expressing his rights he has found the bas level of what rights he is afforded by the law, and seeking to expand those to encompass a full life , he's reduced himself to what is a common denominator for all of us. But the reality of that is way to uncomfortable, what would it take to make the statement the way he has, In America he is excluded from equality in civil rights, his action is to show that no one can deny him the right to not participate in that discrimination. He has a right to not eat. and he's exercising it., he's exercising his only real civil right to the full extent, rather than settle for false substitutes.

And Americans turn their faces, becasue he is only a person, a human being, no one of significance, truly this shows what the soul of America has been reduced to. An individual does not matter unless they have a position of power, or celebrity, we want a celebrity to do what Alan is doing, then we would pay notice.and the media would take his picture, and he could be idolized, That is how backward Americans have become in their values towards fellow humans. And we blame gov't for not vauing us!!

Alan's action is so foreign to us , we don't give it a thought. but aren't we calling ourselves educated and open to learning, the pink princess boy comes to mind, this is a very frightening thing my son is choosing to do, I must stop it, rather than, how can I support him, and find out what this means and what he is trying to say and express, and what really lies in his heart.

His friend Iana is modelling true love, frieghtening as it is , she loves him, supports him, does not judge, her friend may die or injure himself, but she responds with support and love,,,,, she cannot understand truly what is happening, nor can we, or if her friends intentions are in the right place, but her choice is to be with him, really BE with him, and love this space of uncertainty.

Enough about Alan, his action is to focus attention on another place, that is the point, his Senator holds his life in her hands, this is the point, we all want our Senators to give us our life back, the people in power have the ablitiy to do that, that is their job, to honor us equally, This really is the reality in America, Senator G. I hope you too have been up all night thinking about the power you wield over this individual.

I hope your phone has been ringing and awareness has decended to find an enlightend mind that gets it's directions from your heart and not the other way around. Senator react to Alan's action, he's made it very personal for you, you cannot avoid that truth, Your action will show if you stand on the side of equality, do you value each life equally. Or will you ignore this one……….

• 38. Ronnie  |  November 12, 2010 at 12:36 am

Here is an awesome new song (which you can get on Itunes) & music video by Todrick Hall….featuring clips from the "It Gets Better" videos created by Perez Hilton, Eve, Jason Derulo, Ellen Degeneres, Jewel, Chris Colfer, Anne Hathaway, Zachary Quinto, Wendy Willams, Neil Patrick Harris, AJ McLean, Greg Grunberg, & Michael Buckley

"Maybe today seems cloudy and gray….So full of sorrow and tomorrow seems so far away….But it gets better, but It gets better……And I know the world keeps throwing you strife…..But Keep on strutting down this yellow brick road called life…..Cuz it gets better, cuz it gets better"

<3…Ronnie:

• 39. Sagesse  |  November 12, 2010 at 1:09 am

For Ronnie

Shearman & Sterling attorneys assure gay youth: 'It Gets Better'

• 40. Sagesse  |  November 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

For Kathleen. Translation please. It makes sense right up until the end.

Findings of fact in same-sex marriage case

• 41. Ronnie  |  November 12, 2010 at 2:46 am

Thank you Sagesse….I love this quote from the article you linked too….

"You need to know that the world is bigger than where you are right now," project manager Conrad Ekkens says in the video. "It's bigger than bullying. It's bigger than the horrible things you see on T.V. It's bigger than the community you are in."

(me) something that people always forget is how big the world is…I have no doubt that the anti-gay/Equality side believe that the world is and should only be limited to their delusional & unrealistic fantasies of what the world is & should be…..so so sad……

Here is the "It Gets Better" video from Sterling Pride…..<3…Ronnie:

• 42. Sagesse  |  November 12, 2010 at 3:44 am

Drip, drip, drip

ACLU suing Pentagon over separation pay for gays

• 43. JonT  |  November 12, 2010 at 4:14 am

• 44. Sagesse  |  November 12, 2010 at 4:18 am

I really, really, really don't like Tony Perkins, but his argument is pretty lame. How hard is it going to be to read the full report to confirm whether the leaked version was misleading. DOD Inspector General indeed.

Don't ask, don't tell: Reaction to leaked report

• 45. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 12, 2010 at 4:26 am

Just saw the breaking report on Faux News.The SCOTUS has refused to stop enforcement of DADT. Will post a link when I find one.

• 46. Ann S.  |  November 12, 2010 at 4:27 am

That's a shame, but not terribly surprising.

• 47. Kathleen  |  November 12, 2010 at 4:44 am

• 48. Jon  |  November 12, 2010 at 6:42 am

O beautiful for heroes proved
    In liberating strife.
    Who more than self their country loved
    And mercy more than life!