Record number of LGBT candidates elected despite NOM’s $5 million anti-gay campaign

Uncategorized

by Andy Kelley
New Media Organizer, Courage Campaign

As Eden reported yesterday, despite spending over $5 million on right wing, anti-gay candidates, the so-called “National Organization For Marriage” had little success at the ballot box on Tuesday. NOM’s dismal showing on Tuesday further underscores how out of touch NOM is with mainstream America.

Not only was NOM’s support less than likely to lead to election, but for many candidates, NOM’s support proved toxic. Despite NOM’s best efforts to promote an anti-gay agenda, Tuesday’s elections saw the greatest number of out, LGBT candidates elected nationally, ever.

In fact, the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund reported at least 106 out LGBT candidates endorsed by the group were elected. Including notable developments in many congressional and state level races:

–David Cicilline’s election to Congress. The Providence, R.I. mayor will be the fourth openly gay member of the U.S. House of Representatives, joining Reps. Tammy Baldwin, Barney Frank and Jared Polis, who each won reelection.

–Jim Gray’s election as mayor of Lexington, Kentucky, the state’s second-largest city.

–Nickie Antonio’s election to the Ohio House. Antonio will be the first openly LGBT person to serve in the state legislature.

–Marcus Brandon’s election to the North Carolina House. Brandon will be the state’s only openly gay state legislator and one of just five out African Americans to serve as state lawmakers.

–Victoria Kolakowski’s election as a Superior Court judge in Alameda County. Kolakowski becomes the first openly transgender judge in America.

–Kevin Lembo’s election as Connecticut State Comptroller. Lembo joins just a handful of openly LGBT candidates to have been elected to statewide positions.

–Laurie Jinkins’ election to the Washington State House. Jinkins is Washington’s first openly lesbian state legislator, and could help her gay colleagues pass a marriage equality bill in the next legislative session.

–Maryland’s and California’s expanded LGBT state legislative caucuses. Each will include seven openly gay and lesbian lawmakers. In Maryland, the caucus is poised to help pass marriage equality legislation, which the reelected Gov. Martin O’Malley has vowed to sign.

These are just a few highlights of the growing number of openly LGBT people elected to public office, and a strong sign that increasingly hearts and minds are being changed across our nation.

• 1. Kathleen  |  November 6, 2010 at 3:55 am

• 2. Ann S.  |  November 6, 2010 at 3:56 am

Progress! Thanks for the rays of hope.

• 3. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 3:57 am

=

<3…Ronnie

• 4. bill roswell  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:00 am

Congradulations to all elected! We need more lgbt elected officials

• 5. Linda  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:06 am

Good news, for sure!

• 6. Ann S.  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:16 am

Here's an interesting article from the SF Chronicle called Removal of Iowa judges may inspire similar efforts.

Despite the headline, it cites a number of judges who withstood recall efforts in other states.

And I thought this was particularly interesting:

Lane, of AFA Action, said the distribution by conservative churches of 200,000 voter guides was a big factor that will be effective in future judge-recall efforts.

I'd be really curious to see what those churches were distributing. If they are endorsing the recall of the judges, I suspect that crosses an impermissible line and that the IRS would be interested.

• 7. JonT  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:53 am

• 8. Alan E  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:54 am

Mate

• 9. Chris in Lathrop  |  November 6, 2010 at 5:47 am

It's great that so many LGBT candidates were successful at the polls. It's great that so many NOM-supported candidates failed. It's sad that the Iowa justices were served injustice simply for doing their jobs, but we can turn it into a positive by figuring out what exactly happened there and how to counteract it in the future, and also by letting these 3 ousted heroes serve as a reminder of how low NOM will sink to further their agenda.

One month to the day until the Trial resumes! I hold onto hope that Perry will go all the way, but I'll be just as satisfied if it fixes things for California. Either strikes quite a blow for equality.

• 10. Straight Ally #3008  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:04 am

"For those who impose what we perceive as an immoral agenda, we're going to take them out," said David Lane, executive director of AFA Action….

And there, in a nutshell, is why the Religious Right insists so doggedly that homosexuality is a choice. Because if it's a choice, it can be something moral or immoral, rather than an inherent quality.

• 11. Kathleen  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:23 am

Just so you know, Chris.. it won't be a trial the way it was in district court. There won't be witnesses. It will just be the attorneys presenting their arguments, being questioned by the judges on the panel. These oral arguments will last at least 2 hours, possibly longer. And then that's likely the last we'll hear of it until the Court issues its decision.

Of course, you can bet that if no one is given standing to appeal, Proponents and/or Imperial County will appeal that decision to the US Supreme Court.

• 12. Chris in Lathrop  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:27 am

I didn't realize the attorneys would be arguing again, but I was aware there would be no new evidence nor new witnesses. Still, quite a game of chess to think about. :)

• 13. Bob Barnes  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:52 am

They had their chance to prove it was a choice the Prop 8 trial. Nothing, nada, zip. They can just give it lip service and have mindless followers repeat it, cause we all know that how facts are proven.

• 14. Linda  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:55 am

Precisely.

It has to be a choice in order to fit with their doctrine. They cannot tolerate any suggestion that it is inherent, because that would question the inerrancy of their doctrine.

• 15. truthspew  |  November 6, 2010 at 6:56 am

If you look at it mathematically, NOM lost 2/3's of the races it tampered with.

That is a pretty dismal record for their $5 million 'investment'.

Actually I'd really like to get my hands on NOM's mailing list. Because I'd draft up a flyer stating those very facts and now NOM is spending peoples money to deny civil rights and mail them to every recipient.

• 16. Rhie  |  November 6, 2010 at 7:18 am

Will catch up later :)

• 17. James Tuttle  |  November 6, 2010 at 7:55 am

I know this is completely off topic but I have a question about the upcoming oral arguments in San Fran. Is there room for people to attend/observe inside the courtroom? I would really like to attend this trial and I was wondering if anyone had any information. Is anyone else here planning on going?

• 18. StraightForEquality  |  November 6, 2010 at 8:28 am

Late to the party, but better late than never.

• 19. Kathleen  |  November 6, 2010 at 8:33 am

I couldn't find anything on the 9th Circuit's website, but Hastings Law School has this: http://www.uchastings.edu/court-time/9th-circuit/

You should be able to start with a call to the number listed and get information about how much seating will be available.

Please let us know what you find out. I have not completely given up hope of being able to find a way to go up there for the arguments.

• 20. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  November 6, 2010 at 8:52 am

I will be there if I have not found employment by then. Kathleen, hope you are able to come up, I'd love to meet you.

Sheryl, Mormon mother

• 21. Bob  |  November 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

Linda, right exactly, the whole present religious reformation is based on that concept of inerrancy of scripture……

Hopefully we can work at exposing that confronting the inerrancy concept and get the religious groups debating it amongst themsleves.. modern day reformation could alleviate many of existing problems.

• 22. MJFargo  |  November 6, 2010 at 9:41 am

Thanks for the reference to this article, Ann. In another paragraph Brian Brown is quoted.

Brown, whose group spent $235,000 on the Iowa effort, said the effort succeeded because it involved extensive TV ads, campaign phone calls, a 20-city bus tour, and outreach at churches and other venues.

Well, at least we know the "20-city buss tour" had nothing to do with anything…. And I'd sure subtract however much that cost from the $235,000 total.

• 23. Bob  |  November 6, 2010 at 10:21 am

Lamda Legal says, "while it's a hudge bump in the road, we need to figure out how to do more in the way of voter education"

• 24. Kathleen  |  November 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

Now for the asshat statement of the day:
    "Marines' leader: Keep policy on gays in military" http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM

• 25. JonT  |  November 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yes, because of course there are no gay people already in the Marines.

I will just assume that Amos will follow his orders, regardless of his personal bigotry.

Right? :)

• 26. Sagesse  |  November 6, 2010 at 11:52 am

Scribin' from the road to read later.

• 27. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 11:54 am

Last night I posted video from Day 4 of the Civil Rights Fast being done by Alan Bounville on the "NOM Election Report Card" thread ..This is a video from Day 3 in addition to the Day 3 video that was already posted…In this video, Alan calls Senator Gillibrand's office…at the end of the video he says this…"We'll wait until the end of today & we won't call anyone back & throw this video up & tell the world that they're lying"…….hmm…..I will post the video for Day 5 when it is released……<3…Ronnie

• 28. Ray in MA  |  November 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Again, I don’t know him and know nothing of him and I question Mr Bourneville's sanity. That is why I reiterate: as Ghandi comitted himself to starvation, he was known and well loved by millions of people.

Am I mising something here?!?!

• 29. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm

What you are missing is 1) we shouldn't have be known to matter…as members of the same race we should all matter……2) As American citizens each & every one of us should matter equally to the government not because one is known more then the other…..was Ghandi known be everybody personally?…..No…but it was what he stood for that was known….Was Alice Paul known & cared about be all Americans?…..No…just those who were members of the Women's Suffrage movement …& even at that, those on the outside of the prison walls gave her flack for risking her life for their freedom…You think the majority of men at that time cared about this woman who was starving herself for Equality?…No they didn't…That is what you are missing…

This has nothing to do with sanity…this is bravery…this is courage…this is a Civil Rights moments…he is willing to risk his life for Freedom & Equality….you think Brian Brown is willing to lay his life on the line to stop Equality?…Tony Perkins?…Maggie Gallagher?…I have no doubt in my mind that they would not…because they are selfish..anyway..just my 2cents…..<3….Ronnie

• 30. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Where can I find a complete list of all the LGBT candidates who were elected? I am so glad that we still have one LGBT in the NC Legislature. Since Julia Bozeman will be gone soon.

• 31. Ray in MA  |  November 6, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Sorry Ronnie, as you get older and hopefully wiser, you have to assess each person you encounter and apply a sanity check.

There are a lot of nutzos out there and just because you share a political angle, it doesn't mean you should accept their approach as practical.

For example: Kathleen, and you, and a many of us in the P8TT community are EXTREMELY devoted advocates to our cause… but they/we have a sense of reality. We know not to damage ourselves and go to unreasonable extremes, foregoing our loved ones.

In six months, a year, get back to me and discuss this… it will be rejected and forgotten…extremism is not the way to approach this… no more than Islamist extremism will allow Allah to conquer the world.

Proceed cautiously… I understand your impatience.

Take some advise from an old fart who's been around the block.

• 32. Bob  |  November 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Ray, perhaps you should just take a pass on this, rather than to comment re the guys following, and comparing him to Gandhi, what you're saying is if he gets attention and a following you may take notice,

If anyone, questions this guys sanity, then we could all first question our own, as old farts, what the heck have we done to gain equality, and why are we in this situation. I would first question our sanity for accepting second class standing for our entire lives. I would question our sanity for being kicked around from the political right to the left for the purpose of getting votes. I would quetion our sanity, in letting extreme religious whackos dictate the rules by which we can live. I would question the sanity of all those folks in the military who abide by unconstituional laws, which discriminate against them while they put their lives on the line for the Chrisian right which has no value for them, while fighting in a war waged on lies, relying on toture and other inhumane tactics to supress a enemy that isn't there, that is insanity. those of us who buy that should have our sanity questioned.

This man is taking an action and standing for something he believes in, what he has said is he would rather not be here if he cannot experience equality, I think that is very sane, and you may be right, you old fart, and this young man may die, and the only one who will find peace will be he himself, and I say he would be a better man than you or I who are old farts that did not have the courage to stand up alone and say I will not accept what you are asking of me, Perhaps if someone had been sane enough to do that years ago, we wouldn't be in the place we are today.

You can research his efforts if you wish, if not take a pass, this guy is trying in a way that you or I haven't, we are not his judge.

• 33. Bob  |  November 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

keep posting Ronnie, I'm reading , and watching, and will even phone that number.

why not an amendment to the civil rights act to have us included, hell yes. I think the act has been amended before, can any legal eagles check into that.

• 34. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

So Alice Paul was an extremist? What she & the other women's suffragists did was for nothing?….This is not about impenitence…how long do we have to be patient?….When the GOP's of Texas & Montana finally realize that the only way to get rid of us LGBT pebbles in their shoe are to kill us?..When The Evangelicals start here what they started in Uganda?

If it were not for the "extremists" at Stonewall starting the LGBT liberation…who knows where we would be right now….I don't need age to know history…I studied it well…& NO Civil Rights movement was won by bureaucrats & talking heads..I am not condoning violence or physically attacking anti-gay people….

Comparing a water only fast to Islamic extremism…are you being serious?…the two are nowhere near one in the same….

Watch the first video from Alan….& hear why he is doing this…he is doing this for people he doesn't even know…for you…for me…for future generations…so we should be fine with soldiers going to another country a fighting in this "war on terror" risking their lives for our "freedom" (well… you know unless they are openly Gay)….but we should not be ok with someone risking their life for our Freedom right here right now?……

If the government really cared & stopped acting like this is a game maybe Alan wouldn't need to do something like this…If I decided tomorrow to join him in the Civil Rights Fast…If many more chose to do the same & the government finally took it seriously & met the demands would you reap the benefits of the freedom & Equality gained from these actions?..the same actions that gained Women their freedom….

It's all Justifiable….Alan is reaching out…he is doing something rather then sitting around waiting for others to do something….I marched with Alan, Lt Dan Choi (who also did a hunger strike), my Mother & others to the Stonewall Inn a few weeks ago…NOM calls themselves the leaders of this Civil Rights Movement but they have done nothing that looks remotely similar to what those fighting for Civil Rights & Women's Rights have done….

I will never forget what Alan is doing….& someday I will tell my grandkids…."Grandpa was a part of the same fight for Equality as that man"…the same way those related to & fought along side Alice Paul did & still do today….but what do I know..I'm too young to understand….<3…Ronnie

• 35. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Day 5 of the Civil Rights Fast being done by Alan Bounville was just released……<3….Ronnie:

• 36. Ronnie  |  November 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

& please ignore the typos…wow…i really should proof-read before I hit submit…apologies….<3…Ronnie

• 37. Michael  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm

In these decades of "culture war" declared upon us by the anti-gay "Religious Right," we have won battles and lost battles. During the recent election, we lost some more and won some more; nothing new. This will continue until we obtain equality. The important thing to remember is that the trend is in OUR direction not the pro-homophobia lobby's direction. One day, people will look back increduously and wonder WHY they spent millions claming it's "freedom" to take away rights from others. Time is on our side, no matter how they try to spin it otherwise.

• 38. James Tuttle  |  November 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm

As would I

• 39. Chris B  |  November 6, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Usually these voter guides list the candidates and their views on the issues (abortion, SS marriage, etc.)– pro/con.
    So that's how they can can be legal. They can't say "Vote for Candidate X" but they can say "Candidate X is anti-abortion, Candidate Y is pro-choice" and their members know how to vote.

• 40. Chris B  |  November 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Growing up in the world, most people didn't question what they were taught. God destroyed Sodom because of the Sodomites. Leviticus says gays are an abomination. If you start from the view that gays are bad, these things just support your views and you accept them. The same way that people who owned slaves could point to verses in the Bible supporting slavery. But, since slavery is frowned on, people re-interpret those verses. And since stoning adulterers and disobedient children, and polygamy are not practiced today, the corresponding verses are dismissed or argued away as being 'old testament' laws or practices.

These people start with a belief and then use the Bible for support.

• 41. elliom  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:03 am

OT:

Nice article from the NY Times re: bullying. Shows how they'll marginize abused (bullying is abuse) kids just to fight Teh Mean Nasty Ghey. 'Cause it's not about the kids or the bullying, it's about The Agenda.

nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha22

• 42. Bennett  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:08 am

Maybe we can fix the economy without exterminating the gays. Who knew? Oh this is going to get me in so much trouble. Please note the sarcasm.

• 43. Chris From CO  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:11 am

I said this in an earlier artical but I was the 218th comment so I wanted to say it again about the judges. Please excuse the repeat. I think it is time for a vigil in Iwoa to show respect for them on their last day in the court. They need to know their rulling was was right and they should be proud. They displayed the better part of humanity, and respected our constitutionial rights far better than most have done so far. : (

• 44. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:49 am

As I saw in pictures of several signs shown here during the first round of NOM's Hate Tours this summer and early fall:

Three Words to Save the Economy: GAY BRIDAL REGISTRY

And as an independent Stanley Home Products/Fuller Brush Products Customer Service Representative, I have a Wedding Gift Registry set up on my computer. Anyone who is getting married, feel free to contact me. Just click on my name above and leave a comment on my WP blog, and I will contact you to get the needed information to send you my current catalogs and set up your gift registry. You can also make use of this registry if you are moving into a new house or expecting a baby or a new pet. Let's get the economy back on track.

• 45. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:51 am

The last post was not intended to be an advertisement. I just got carried away.

• 46. Don in Texas  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:53 am

Any chance it will be televised? I've seen arguments before the 9th Circuit in the past.

• 47. Ronnie  |  November 7, 2010 at 3:02 am

Drag King, Murray Hill & friends say "It Gets Better"……<3…Ronnie:

• 48. Kathleen  |  November 7, 2010 at 3:13 am

I suppose there's a chance. I don't know what the procedure is for determining whether it will be.

• 49. Dave A  |  November 7, 2010 at 3:16 am

Which is EXACTLY why they are fighting so hard to keep the donors names secret.

• 50. Bob  |  November 7, 2010 at 6:22 am

well worth repeating Chris, vigil for the judges, are the LGBT organizations in Iowa thinking of doing smething like that,,,,,

• 51. Anonygrl  |  November 7, 2010 at 6:29 am

And if it is NOT a choice, then God created people who are inherently immoral, which is an insoluble paradox.

Homosexuality has to be a choice, or God is evil, as far as the religious right are concerned.

• 52. Anonygrl  |  November 7, 2010 at 6:33 am

And the funny thing is, the religious right won't entertain the possibility that it might be they, themselves, that are wrong, not God.

That is, they can't entertain the notion that homosexuality might be inherent, God might be ok with that, and the religious right's belief that God is NOT ok with it might be what is causing the paradox.

Logically, however, that is the simplest solution, and Occam would slice it that way.

• 53. Santa Barbara Mom  |  November 7, 2010 at 8:49 am

Also not to advertise, but the Scentsy I just ordered from Richard came on Friday and I've had it going all week-end. My home smells of cinnamon, cloves and all the fragrances of autumn. I'm loving it!

• 54. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

And yet, David, whom HaShem called "a man of my own heart" was Saul's son-in-law twice–through marriage to Saul's son, Jonathan, as well as being married to Saul's daughter, Michal. Yet they conveniently say that the relationship between Jonathan and David was more like brothers than admit the truth that they were married. David married Jonathan for love, and Michal for children. Remember, this was in the days before IVF and other methods of reproductive assistance (such as turkey basters).

• 55. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

I will let Heather know it has arrived safely and that you are enjoying it. I am thinking about the scent of the month I saw on the site. I can't remember the name of it, but I do remember that it has peppermint and other nice scents mixed together. I think it's called Winter Snow.

• 56. Ronnie  |  November 7, 2010 at 9:58 am

So NOM doesn't show Hate right?…..NOM has no animus towards LGBT people right?…..FAIL!!!!!

From their Destroy….I mean "Protect" Marriage: One Man One Woman Facebook page……

Sam Rice "People keep saying there is no cure for homosexuality. there are TWO
    1. Salvation through Jesus.
    2. Dying of AIDS.

Your choice."
    29 minutes ago · Comment · Like

Lori Maynard, Fred Apprich and Shawnee Marie like this.

(me) Wow NOM really pulling in the love aren't you?

Steven Bates "The truth is often NOT a pretty thing, that makes it no less true.
    8 minutes ago ·

(me) awe Steven Bates who advocates murder & violence towards LGBT people all over Facebook…as well as forcing women to dress like women, forcing them out of the workplace. Forcing people to speak English in public at all times, force all muslims out of the country, & allow no immigrants especially those from Mexico….Real charmer NOM…..

Ben Parker "Doesn't that imply that all homosexuals will eventually die of AIDS, something that certainly isn't true? And couldn't it also be that there needn't be a cure since, as multiple medical and psychological associations have insisted, homosexuality is not a disease?"
    2 minutes ago ·

(me) now that's some truth…it will be removed by the admin……

Shawnee Marie "it's not a disease. It's a mental illness."
    a few seconds ago ·

(me) care help this nasty woman with actual credible proof of that NOM?…Oh that's right there is none or your incompetent lawyers would have would have used it court….one should note that this Shawnee Troll has also stated that they should physically force LGBT people to be straight….NOM, you really are racking up the knuckle draggers aren't you?

<3…Ronnie

P.S. I saved screenshots….thanks for the proof of homophobic anti-gay animus NOM….aren't you glad you publicly announced, 1st your "non" connection to that page…then 2nd making Brian Brown the General Manager of it acknowledging (after lying) that you are in fact connected to that hate group….. hahahahahha…Karma's a b!tch… ; )

• 57. Ronnie  |  November 7, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Iana Di Bona just posted the video for Day 6 of the Civil Rights Fast being done by Alan Bounville….They went to a Queer Rising meeting….Someone from the New York Times contacted them about doing a story..Yes he talks about the things going on with his body but he also talks about what he plans to do tomorrow….He talked about going to a sermon at Metropolitan Community Church today, & even though he is not a religious person he was moved by what the speaker said…<3…Ronnie:

• 58. Bob  |  November 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm

thanks for the update, fasting has been used throughout the ages, as a form of spiritual journey, he seems aware the difference between ego motivation and spiritual awakening,,,,

hunger can be a useful tool for distinguishing the difference, i.e. ego is always hungy, and constantly feeding,,,itself, in many forms, usallly food of drink, to fill the emptynes or that hole within, stopping that habit, and being aware has been used as a way of seeking visions …..and finding enlightenment.

it can clearly distinguish between a hunger for equality, which has never been fullfilled and rather channeled to ego needs, filling ourselves with all forms of things which give us comfort, food drink cars, money, success, sex, etc. all have become things that cover our true hunger hidden inside, which is the hunger to be loved equally.

these have been my meditations during Alan's fast, and I too long for an awakening to a new awareness of how we have spent generations feeding our ego's , at the expense of the spirit within which can transorm our world.

What a hudge shift it would be in global consiousness if the powers that be could hear what it is he is asking for.

• 59. Ed  |  November 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm

this is a conversation with a 20 yr old co worker….
    [You]
    so. should we be allowed to get married?
    [Chris Valdez]
    11:09pm
    you know i dot get into politics
    [You]
    11:10pm
    LOL i'm not asking u to endorse a candidate.
    should rick and i be allowed to do so if we wanted
    [Chris Valdez]
    11:10pm
    i honestly dont care, not trying to be a dick
    [You]
    11:11pm
    no no. thats exactly the point
    u don't care. so u mean it doesn't affect u
    [Chris Valdez]
    11:12pm
    i dont care because i dont made the choices about letting gays get married
    [You]
    11:13pm
    but u also don't care cause u know if we did, it wouldn't affect u in the least
    [Chris Valdez]
    11:13pm
    right

See? the young people just don't care….It doesn't affect them….

• 60. elliom  |  November 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Most ppl who claim to serve God only do so as advisors.

• 61. Sagesse  |  November 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Marines' leader: Keep policy on gays in military

"Amos, who began his assignment last month, said he was reviewing preliminary findings of an internal Pentagon survey of the policy that was sent out to about 400,000 troops and another 150,000 family members. He will make recommendations to Defense Secretary Robert Gates later this month.

Amos declined to comment on the survey results, though portions have been leaked to reporters."

Good timing. Put this out after he's seen the results, but before he's finished reviewing them, his last chance to say he knows what to do, but hasn't finished reading what the troops and their families want. And just in time to bolster the DOJ's stay argument. And on the same day that Gates says the repeal should be passed in the lame duck session of Congress.

• 62. Sagesse  |  November 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Update:

DADT: Signs of Hope, Doom

• 63. Franck  |  November 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Hi all

In light of the results of the elections, the folks at Out4Immigration have been debating about new strategies to help same-gender binational couples. Given that we tend to be a "lower" priority issue (arguably because we represent such a "small" percentage of the population), we need to get more visible if we are to gain anything at all before long.

See their post here.

– Franck P. Rabeson
    Days spent apart from my fiancé because of DOMA: 1235 days, as of today.

• 64. Franck  |  November 7, 2010 at 11:22 pm

P.S.:
    In case you cannot access the document mentioned in the post (Melanie Nathan's project), I have uploaded it to Scribd.

• 65. Tasty Salamanders  |  November 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Maybe it's just me but, I feel that it not getting appealed by congress might be a good thing. If the courts appeal it as it being unconstitutional then short of a constitutional amendment it couldn't be re-enforced. However if congress appeals it then likely if the right wing get enough power they may just end up bringing it back or something similar in the future. If I'm wrong on my reasoning then someone please correct me but it just seems that waiting to make sure it's gone for good is a better idea then getting rid of it quickly only for it to come back again later.

Also I just had a thought, if congress was to appeal it that is supposed to end the appeals process because there is supposedly no reason for the trial to continue. However could the argument that it could later be restored be a justification for the trial to continue (to the finish of the current appeal) so the court can give a ruling as to effect any future attempts at it being restored?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's not like we haven't been given a reason to be paranoid in some cases.

• 66. Kathleen  |  November 8, 2010 at 1:06 am

Sagesse, only as to timing, I thought I saw this statement of Amos's Saturday, before Gates's statement. But I agree that this sets up dueling comments by military leaders and bolsters the DOJ position.

• 67. Sagesse  |  November 8, 2010 at 1:39 am

Agreed. All the media reports I've seen refer to them both. I read Gates comments aimed a the Senate, and Amos aimed at the Senate and Justice Kennedy.

The key is that DADT survive in the Defense Authorization bill unchanged, and avoids the conference process, because it will die if amendments go to the conference committee or it goes back to the House. A really tall order.

• 68. Richard A. Walter (s  |  November 8, 2010 at 2:22 am

Also, Tasty, I remember an old saying "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." I don't think you are paranoid, just realistic. Right now, we are the group that it is okay to attack. It is still politically correct to do us any and all manner of harm, and this will only get worse if more of those who want this to become a theocracy gain power.