VIDEO: “Quote, unquote,” except for both the quote and the unquote parts

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-Iowa Right-wing

Cross-posted at Good As You.

By Jeremy Hooper

Never once in the 69 pages of Iowa Supreme Court’s Varnum opinion is the phrase “evolving standard” used. One can find Iowa For Freedom head Bob Vander Plaats using the phrase to slight what he sees as the court’s unjust marriage equality decision. Conservative news sites like Lifesite News and The Iowa Republican have used the phrase in their stories and commentaries. But not the members of the Iowa high court. Not in determining how equal protection and due process applies to tax-paying gay citizens.

But why should the minot bullet point known as actuality stop the members of the Iowa Judge Bus from putting words in the Supreme Court justices’ mouths? Hit it, Chuck “gay students need to be healed” Hurley:

“A thing of wax that *they* decided to change”? Hmm. Well if by “they,” you mean you and your fellows with Iowa For Freedom, and by “thing of wax,” you mean the reasoned, principled opinion that the unanimous Varnum panel penned and that anti-retention have been misrepresenting ever since. Or if “quote, unquote” is conservative code word for “pulled fresh from the arse.” Otherwise: No, this soundbite is as lacking in merit as the Iowa For Freedom campaign itself.

• 1. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:26 am

• 2. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:28 am

• 3. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:29 am

At that size it looks like an 8 with a line going through it

• 4. Ronnie  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:30 am

Yup…yup…NOM & Co. are so fond of lying…I'm just saying…<3…Ronnie

• 5. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:31 am

They can use it because they know their supporters won't look it up or even bother to read the decision.

• 6. Sagesse  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:33 am

Speaking of quotes, I just read

"Just this week, Tony Perkins – the head of the Family Research Council – said that gay kids kill themselves because deep down inside they know they're "abnormal."

There was no attribution. Does anyone know where and in what context Perkins uttered this little gem.

• 7. Ann S.  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:42 am

• 8. Kathleen  |  October 29, 2010 at 2:46 am

It may come from this article. See the 7th graph http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvo

• 9. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:27 am

• 10. Bob  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:30 am

That article by Tony Perkins in the washington post, is pretty much right on for traditionalist fundamentalist thinking, that's the line towed by the religious right, and their answer to justify their beliefs.

That's the truth according to my mother and also my family, they honestly believe you can pray the gay away. they think that loving me requires them to bring me round to this way of thinking, that type of christian believes in inerrancy of scripture, and are extreme in their thinking they are followers of the Authoritarian principle.

Much like the people who believe the constitution is not a living document created to protect as yet unimagined rights.

They really believe they are doing the right thing, totally NOM all the way, the one thing about NOM is that it is an organization created to push this agenda, and as such it is totally built to take the fall, i.e. break all the rules, even if they were heavily fined for breaking tax laws, or such, NOM is built to be the sacrificial lamb, it's arms distance from any church and when it falls, it won't affect any of the churches that feed it.

• 11. Ronnie  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:31 am

Katy Perry is dedicating this song & video to the "It Gets Better" Project….It is called "Firework"….

I have watch this video like 20 times since yesterday when I found it after it was leaked…It was just officially premiered today…I feel good & in tears at the same time….no matter how many times I watch it…..

This song & video are definitely one of the feel good, feel free & be free opuses of the year. …I love it!!!!

"Cause baby you're a firework. Come on show 'em what your worth……Baby you're a firework. Come on let your colors burst"

The video touches on kids who are faced with disease, people who are ashamed of their weight (but shouldn't) because of other people's judgments & are faced with those two words…"Pool Party", bullying/attacks, fireworks between a kiss whether that kiss be between a guy & girl, 2guys, or 2girls….This video is the shining side of the Equality Movement….

"You don't have to feel like a waste of space….You're original, cannot be replaced….If you only knew what the future holds….After a hurricane comes a rainbow"

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!…..<3…Ronnie:

• 12. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:31 am

I got a wake-up robocall from Brian Brown this morning. The call ended promptly when I answered "no" to the first question, "Do you think marriage should be only between a man and a woman?"

• 13. Ed  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:46 am

LOL! You probably fried a few of their circuit boards….
    Pretty funny :)

• 14. Ed  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:48 am

And how do I get signed up for those calls? Entertaining, I would think.

• 15. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:49 am

OK I got a very good chuckle out of this one. Now these people are bringing up the "Correlation vs. Causation" argument when it suits them, but not when it doesn't.

• 16. Kathleen  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:55 am

That's funny. I recently got a voicemail message of a robo-call from some political candidate in my district. It expressed regret that they'd missed me and asked that I check out their website. So I did. He was all about 'Protect Prop 8! – Respect the people's vote!'

So I sent an email thanking the campaign for bringing their candidate to my attention and letting them know I will now be actively informing as many people as possible that their candidate is un-American and doesn't believe in the U.S. Constitution. Obviously, a completely ineffective exercise, but it felt good.

• 17. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:57 am

I love it, too! Thanks for sharing it.

• 18. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 3:58 am

I certainly found myself wide awake after that!

• 19. Kate  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:02 am

And the candidate is…….. ?

• 20. Trish  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:10 am

I went to Sacramento's Unity Bar Dinner 2010 last night and heard Professor Pam Karlan speak. She spoke about this very issue — how judges are supposed to interpret the Constitution.

One (poorly remembered) quote: "As my favorite legal philosopher, Yogi Berra, once said, 'If you come to a fork in the road, take it.' — Now, if you're like Justice Scalia or otherwise believe that words must be interpreted literally, you might think he meant that when you're walking down the road and come across a piece of cutlery, you need to pick it up."

She picked apart Justice Roberts's statement that judges are like umpires, calling strikes and balls, but not to pitch or bat. She pointed out that every strike zone is unique to the batter, based on that individual. So every umpire, like every judge, needs to actually look at the situation of the person standing before them. In addition, as we all know, every umpire has his or her own strike zone.

All judges simply interpret the law. Saying that because a judge's strike zone is different from yours that judge is pitching or batting is simply wrong, demeaning, and misleading.

• 21. Kathleen  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:11 am

Sorry to say, I can't even remember his name now. I think he was the Independent Party candidate. I really don't have contact with anyone who would be ever vote for him anyway, that's why it was an empty threat. But as I said, it felt good.

• 22. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:12 am

How can he present this as logic for not blaming churches (in part) for gay suicides?

"For instance, churches preach against alcohol abuse, but that does not mean they are responsible for the abuse."

The correlation, if any, would be that preaching against homosexuality suggests the church is responsible for homosexuality. I never heard anyone make that claim!

And can you believe that his name is Wisdom?!

• 23. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:13 am

All this malarkey is, is the last gasping, screaming grasping at straws of a dying movement that is trying to convert a pluralistic, constitutional, representative democratic republic into a theocracy while knowing that they are on the losing end.

• 24. StraightForEquality  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:16 am

Excellent! Sounds like a great speaker.

• 25. Ed  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:23 am

OT, but I came across this, and just honestly don't know what to think of it….
    I just don't know….

• 26. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:26 am

Has anyone seen the SyFy (or was it still SciFi then?) miniseries Tin Man? The bad woman had these tattoos on her chest. These flying creatures (evolved flying monkeys…long story) would fly out of tattoos, but she would shove her chest out when commanding them to fly or return. The fireworks coming out of Katy's chest reminded me of those scenes.

• 27. Kate  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:27 am

Want to bet the site wasn't really put up by Our Side?

• 28. Mouse  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:28 am

Does anyone else find it harder and harder to read the stories of the NOMnuts antics and lies?

Coming here to read about the Prop 8 trial was uplifting. Olson and Boies presented a case that tore down all the hateful things these nuts say, and showed that we have a right to be treated just like any other human being.

Now that we're waiting for the glacial progress of the court system to do its thing, we follow the evil clowns around and get to read all the horrible things they say about us. It's depressing, demoralizing, and infuriating.

• 29. Sagesse  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:31 am

I've read that NOM's robocalls work that way. If you aren't a believer, they don't waste time trying to convert you. They spend their time identifying and getting out the vote for their side. It's probably pretty effective.

• 30. Ed  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:32 am

Oh, I have no doubt. lol

• 31. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:36 am

I find it easier to read while following this trial, because I know the arguments and refutations. I also know those arguments won't work in court, where our power lies right now. Showing these people also acts as a call to Christians that don't think this way to stand against these claims instead of remaining silent and being painted with the same brush.

• 32. Mouse  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:42 am

Churches trying to talk logic. That's a good one.

"Is it a negative message to tell them that God has something better for them than this lifestyle?" he wonders.

YES! By suggesting there is "something better" you are implying that what we have is "something worse." That's a negative message.

• 33. AndrewPDX  |  October 29, 2010 at 4:48 am

Yeah, it's difficult to watch NOM's antics while waiting for the trial to commence. I can only handle so much of their vileness at one time.

The interspersed bits of good news and the community here in the comments are the only things that keep me going. It gives me perspective, and I can stand back and recognize that NOM's vileness is actually their death throws.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 34. Ronnie  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:05 am

Noose Hung At Equality California http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2010/10/noose-hung-a

Workers arrived at the Santa Ana office of Equality California to find a small string noose hanging from the door. Local police were disinterested. EQCA employee Mel Distel relates her exchange with the cop who responded to her call:
    "There was nothing they could do, of course, there was no suspect and no crime had been committed. The officer said 'what it is, is a string on a door.' My vision got blurry, I was embarrased and felt stupid for making the call. I took a deep breath and said 'Do you see any correlation between the fact that this is a gay office and there was a noose left on our door in the wake of all of these teen suicides?' The officer said, 'Sometimes you just have to live with being a victim,' and proceeded to mention that his car had been broken into before." That didn't exactly sit well with Distel. "As if that's the same. As if having your stereo stolen is anything like the message 'You should kill yourself.' As if random theft is anything like an act meant to convey hate and stir up fear in the heart of a minority group."

(me) But if someone was to do this to say NOM's office or an anti-gay church, or FRC's offices etc etc…..they would scream "persecution" until they are blue in the face……

"Local police were disinterested"?….excuse me?…well thank you for stealing the hard earned tax money from local LGBT citizens to fund you disinterest…

"'what it is, is a string on a door."……yeah a string purposely tied to look LIKE A F@%KING NOOSE!!!!!!….

"Sometimes you just have to live with being a victim,"….ummm…soooooo..I should except threats of murder?…where the formica did they find this guy?….

"and proceeded to mention that his car had been broken into before."……oooo..your car got broken into…listen dipshite…unless the words "I will kill you" or something along those lines were keyed into the hood or whatever then you are beyond disgusting for attempting to make that sad excuse for a comparison….

Let's do some 6 degrees of separation…

1) EQCA, LGBT's & Heterosexual Allies (i.e. the victims of a homophobic hate crime)….
    2) The sick frak who attached the noose to EQCA's door….
    3) The Homophobic organization, church, or parents who taught this bigot that it is ok to do shite like this……
    4) Ugly behavior in the tradition of "Lynching" Larry Adams from Indianapolis…..
    5) Larry is a supporter of NOM (National Organization for "Marriage) who showed up at one of their stops on their FAILED little tour…
    6) Maggie "Shoe Flinger" Gallagher & Brian Brown Suit are the heads of NOM

hmmmmmm…… : / …Ronnie

• 35. Ronnie  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:12 am

you're welcome…<3..Ronnie

• 36. Ronnie  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:13 am

I saw that miniseries…lol…true true…<3…Ronnie

• 37. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:25 am

LOVE it too!!!!!! thanks R!

• 38. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:52 am

I agree with you, Alan. I also think that, as awful as this can be to read, I want to know the enemy. I want to be able to have something concrete to back my claims that the face of American Christians is just plain evil.

Something I have found in talking with Christian friends and family is that they don't know that NOM and FRC and FotF are really awful. They just think they are benign organizations standing for marriage in a church or something.

It doesn't really take much to convince most people that these organizations are pretty bad. This is a wonderful resource for facilitating that. I can just point people here and say "See? I am really not making this stuff up."

• 39. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:03 am

Wow I am really sorry you have to deal with that from family. I used to be that type of person. I am so very, very sorry. My Dad is like that. He thinks that he has to tell me everything I am doing wrong according to God through him or he isn't loving me. I think it's just plain obnoxious.

• 40. JonT  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:04 am

• 41. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:15 am

My suggestion to find out who it was is to search the candidates running in your area for that position and see if names sound familiar. That is, if you really want to know and I would understand if you don't, heh.

• 42. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:19 am

Argh. The correlating argument to the equality argument that churches preaching about how how homosexuality is awful and evil and horrible leads to bullying would be that preaching that alcoholics are horrible people who just lack self control leads to stigma and hate for alcoholics rather than compassion and help. That argument is also true.

Also holy run on sentence batman but I don't know how else to phrase that.

• 43. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:21 am

Exactly. Seriously, anyone who says that umpires just call balls and strikes based on the same formula every time has never seen a baseball game or even a full inning.

• 44. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:24 am

I would suggest that they call the FBI. It's a hate crime and that's a federal law.

That officer sounds like a prick.

• 45. celdd  |  October 29, 2010 at 6:36 am

Report is up an a headline at the OC Register.

• 46. Ann S.  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:01 am

I've been involved in other campaigns that work that way, too. For nefarious things like school bonds. It is supposed to be one of the most effective techniques.

• 47. Michelle Evans  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:04 am

I know this location well for EQCA. I've been there and know a lot of friends who work there. For anyone who says that anyplace is safe, this incident–and the initial lack of response by the police–should tell them that we are not safe anywhere.

I had a business refuse to serve me a few months ago, and I reported the incident to the police (since California LGBT people are supposed to be protected against this blatant discrimination) and yet the police refused to even file a report!

• 48. Kathleen  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:10 am

Michelle, I immediately thought of you when I saw this happened behind the orange curtain.

Per the comment in this report, the Orange County Human Relations Commission and others are responding to the incident. http://www.theliberaloc.com/2010/10/29/the-noose-

Hopefully, this will result in improved response from Santa Ana police in the future. I'm not holding my breath, but one can hope.

• 49. fiona64  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:29 am

I so adored Alan Cumming as the Scarecrow in that series …

I <3 him anyway, but he was just wonderful in that part.

Love,
    Fiona

• 50. fiona64  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:30 am

I had the same exact thing happen to me last night.

Yeah, there were suddenly no more questions after I responded "no" to what BB said was "the most important issue facing Americans today."

Feh.

Love,
    Fiona

• 51. Alan E.  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

I liked the series until the cheesy graphics at the end.

• 52. Bob  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:48 am

Rhie, thanks for the kind comments and understanding it helps a lot.

• 53. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

Ugh! What a complete prig. And I just loved this little gem in paragraph 8:

"Since homosexual conduct is associated with higher rates of sexual promiscuity, sexually transmitted diseases, mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence, it too qualifies as a behavior that is harmful to the people who engage in it and to society at large."

Guilt by reputation??? By stereotype??? I wonder if there is no line the religious reich will not cross in their crusade. Again, ugh!

• 54. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 29, 2010 at 8:00 am

Talk about a rude awakening! Eeew!

• 55. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 29, 2010 at 8:14 am

No crime? Isn't the mere threat of violence a crime? And this was a death threat, plainly. If it had been a government office instead of an activist office, the FBI would have been all over this already.

• 56. Ray in MA  |  October 29, 2010 at 9:10 am

Yes Ronnie!!! I had the same reaction!!!

Thanx (I would have skipped over this without you!)

• 57. Ray in MA  |  October 29, 2010 at 9:20 am

"String" ?!?!

It was black It was thick. It was very intimidating.

• 58. Ray in MA  |  October 29, 2010 at 9:24 am

Of course, "Queer by Choice" is an oxymoron.

• 59. Rhie  |  October 29, 2010 at 10:13 am

Absolutely. I know how important it is to find folks who understand.

• 60. Felyx  |  October 29, 2010 at 11:48 am

Wow Ronnie. I cried… and I just don't cry.

• 61. Felyx  |  October 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Go to 2:45…

(What I think about every time I hear this expression!)

• 62. JonT  |  October 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm