NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-California Right-wing

We haven’t showcased a lot of footage aside from photos of equality supporters/Vota Tus Valores protesters on this tour (partly because the crowds have been smaller), but they’ve still been there. I want to take a minute to highlight some folks today.

Here’s Jennifer Bagley, who appeared on Saturday’s stops:

One marriage isn’t threatened” coming from straight allies. I wouldn’t call opposition based on “intolerance” for everyone, but Jennifer has it right that the sky doesn’t fall, and marriages aren’t threatened, by more love spread between couples. Per commenter JamesUK in a recent thread, I think Cynthia Nixon said it best in a recent panel with Brian Brown:

“I want to say to the gentleman to my left, gay people who want to marry have no desire to redefine marriage in any way. When women got the vote they did not redefine voting. When African-Americans got the right to sit at a lunch counter alongside white people, they did not redefine eating out. They were simply invited to the table…We have no desire to change marriage. We want to be entitled to not only the same privileges, but the same responsibilities as straight people.”

James is right. This is an excellent response to the “redefinition” argument.

Here’s another equality supporter echoing the same message:

I

Does choice, marriage matter as much when laws like AB 1070 pass? When families are broken apart? It’s funny because on this whole tour, I’ve watched Alfonso and co. talk about those two topics extremely heavily. But when challenged on immigration, all they can say is how Boxer “hasn’t done anything”. But as Arisha articulates well in this video, it comes down to how Latino families are treated.

I don’t think that NOM and the Vota Tus Valores staff understand that.

39 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Sagesse  |  October 4, 2010 at 12:39 am

Subscribing to watch later. None of the messages on this tour have traction.

• 2. alaneckert  |  October 4, 2010 at 12:40 am

Will read on my way to work. Subbing in for now.

• 3. StraightForEquality  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:06 am

Subscribing

• 4. Steven in Windsor/De  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:12 am

Just watched the Cynthia Nixon video. She is a great speaker, too bad she had Brian next to her with his face twitching uncontrollably at the fact she was making coherant arguments he could only respond to making faces like c'mon… no Brian you c'mon!

• 5. Rev. Will Fisher  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thanks Adam for all the work you the P8TT team are doing. As someone who believes the Holy Bible to be inspired by God, I'd like to add that not all people of oppose gay rights. I support my gay brothers' and sisters' right to marry not in spite of my Christian Faith, not in contradiction to the Bible, but BECAUSE of my faith, because of how I discern the Holy Spirit to be moving in the Scriptures. NOM and its ilk try to paint a picture of a Christian 'pro-marriage' side vs. a secular agenda-driven gay side. This is of course nonsense. If I can be of any assistance in de-bunking some of the anti-equality sides use (really mis-use) of Scripture or Christian tradition, email me or friend me on FB. You have a lot of Christians incl. most of my colleagues in the Episcopal Church) supporting marriage equality.
    God Bless, Will

Married, Straight, Christian, Buffalonian.

• 6. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:29 am

subscribing

• 7. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:38 am

Morning…..
    subscribing

• 8. Vaati  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:47 am

Watched the video with Cynthia Nixon and Brian Brown as well, sweating and twitching is a sign that you're losing a debate. He probably didn't absorb much of what she was saying but she's completely right.

How dare these people presume they can tell these people what their own values are? And how can these people say that Carly Fiorina represents those values? She is a former CEO of Hewlett Packard, who got a nice golden parachute when she left and is now trying to buy a seat in our government, how does that represent Latino values?

Carly Fiorina also heavily financed McCain during his campaign, and as we saw recently he helped lead an unprecedented filibuster that took out the bill that not only would have potentially repealed DADT, but included the Dream Act, which would have allowed through military service or college education, for people to become legal citizens here. She does not have anything to offer Latinos and frankly I don't think any Republicans at this point do.

• 9. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:52 am

Thank you, Rev. Fisher. You are so right that they try to paint all Christians with the same brush. There are many, many of us that support equal rights and do not support discrimination and bigotry. I don't want someone imposing their values on me, and I, therefore, will not impose my values on other people. If they are interested, I will explain my beliefs, but not insist that they also accept them as their beliefs.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 10. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:56 am

Subscribing.

• 11. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:05 am

While California may not be "for sale", Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina are surely trying to buy it. It's a wonderful investment for them seeing as how their policies will bring all that money spent buying the election right back into their pockets in the form of tax savings. Consider making a small donation to Jerry Brown's campaign. This is an election where small donations can make a difference.

• 12. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:06 am

I liked the line from Cynthia "we are not trying to redefine marriage..just be invited to the table…" (… blacks eating at the same table didn't redefine eating out… and like woman's vote didn't redefine voting). Yep Brian is Squirming!

• 13. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:07 am

I love this video of old Meg on Youtube. Have you seen it? Anyone know how to embed it? Maybe its already been done. Thanks.

• 14. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:09 am

opps, looks like it was easier than I thought, didnt know that would happen.

• 15. Dave P.  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:12 am

"We shouldn't have a "Buy it now!" button on the governor's office."

Brilliant.

• 16. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:16 am

Will catch up later, hopefully.

• 17. Vaati  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:18 am

Loved that line as well, it's incredibly accurate. Their arguments about gay marriage weakening the institution of marriage sounds about as ridiculous as 'by letting people immigrate to America we're weakening what our country was founded on.' (Which was.. well, people immigrating to have a better life.. ö_ö)

Their arguments would hold some sway if women were still property and gender roles still assigned, but to straight people's credit, that is no longer marriage.

• 18. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:19 am

Just to cover all the bases, blacks eating at the same table didn't redefine the table either. Just to be clear.

• 19. Anonygrl  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:21 am

Thank you to BOTH of you, this is a message we all need to hear.

I am not at all religious, and have no need of God, myself, although if she works for you, I am ok with that. As such, I sometimes do paint religionists of all stripes with the same brush, even though I KNOW I shouldn't. It is good to be reminded now and again that there are differing points of view on the matter but that the religious points of view do not always lead to discrimination, and at times are wonderfully supportive.

Thanks both for the clarity, and the support!

• 20. Dave P.  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:22 am

… It's 9:15 AM Monday morning and I just got off the phone with my mom and my sister in Orange County. They're both on their way out of the house right now to head over to the Santa Ana tour stop. I would LOVE to see the look on the NOM folks faces when they see my 80-year-old mom glaring at them and holding her 'Equal Marriage Rights Now!" sign : )

I could not be more proud and grateful for my family. I'll post more when I hear from them a little later today.

• 21. Anonygrl  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:24 am

Brilliant counter to "you are trying to redefine marriage!" and I will use it from now on!

• 22. Anonygrl  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:25 am

I love your mom! Tell her I said so!

• 23. Dave P.  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:29 am

Yes, she does tend to have that effect on people : )

I'll be sure to tell her!

• 24. Ed Cortes  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:33 am

Michael Huffington tried (unsuccessfully) to "buy" a US Senate seat in 1994, and lost to Feinstein. Let's hope these other political newcomers can't buy their elections, either!

• 25. Joel  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:45 am

To "redefine" marriage, it would be necessary to change it's purpose. A balloon is still a balloon whether it is deflated or filled with air. It would only stop being a balloon if it were stretched over toothpicks and used as a trampoline in a flea circus.

• 26. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:58 am

What a family! Thank you for sharing them with us, Dave P.

• 27. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:01 am

me too…. ; ) ….Ronnie

• 28. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:45 am

LOL Bennett! (re: table comment) The opposing arguments against inclusion and equality seem silly now as they did 50 years ago.

• 29. Suzanne (not for muc  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:11 am

Sheryl, Are you on Facebook? I want to send you a friend request, or you can send me one. Suzanne.Garrett

Thanks!

• 30. Suzanne (not for muc  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:13 am

Great Big Like to your Mamma, Dave P.!

• 31. Rhie  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:43 am

Well, they are the same exact arguments.

And of course NOM doesn't want to know what Latin@s care about. They aren't important in themselves – they are only a means to an end.

• 32. Jonathan H  |  October 4, 2010 at 5:35 am

At this rate I'll never get caught up

• 33. Bob  |  October 4, 2010 at 6:56 am

Thank you Rev Fisher, perhaps you could start by getting in touch with Rev Russel, and then reaching out to all other affirming churches, form an alliance, and draft an amicus brief for our side in the prop8 trial.

The same kind of alliance the other churches have formed against us.

Then, you would see clearly the division in modern day religion, and could get to work on the final efforts of the reformation.

It's clear the churches are split, and that division is becoming more visible, can you guys duke it out, and come to some consensus about what the sky god is really saying , because right now, you're all not taking responsibility , the churches with differing points of view should be debating with each other, can you form an alliance and fan the flames of love, can you take on Maggie and NOM and engage them so they have someone to fight with about their misuse of scripture, so they stop attacking us.

Onward Christian soldiers marching as to war , with the cross of jesus going on before, LEAD the honorable fight. Save us from their ignorance clearly this is a theological war, and it could be fought on those grounds.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, and taking ownership.

• 34. JonT  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:42 am

I'll play copy-cat.

• 35. Papa Foma  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

I'm an elder in the Presbyterian Church – our congregations choose how liberal to be. My liberal congregation studies the Bible, and listens to all points of view. It appears to me that the degree of acceptance of biblical passages are as much a matter of faith as the individual choice of congregation, denomination, and even of major religion for many people. Those who disagree with aspects of the"church," move to another more compatible with their own beliefs, or avoid religious practice altogether.
    The faiths that embrace any form of bigotry are bold (if not down right ignorant) to tout their "love" for the LBGTQ community, the immigrants to this land, or any other group identified as a faith or a religion.
    From the beginning of my paying attention to the P8 family, I have sung the song that the video starlets above have also verbalized — How can ANYONE's marriage affect ANYONE ELSE'S marriage.
    So, (wrapping up) I maintain that we, by being positive living examples of decent folk can affect those who seek Bible passages to explain away their bigotry. They won't listen to reason — but they cannot ignore kindness.

Papa Thom

• 36. Michael  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm

The shrill anti-gay pressure group NOM is part of the "culture war" which seeks to silence any opposition to a fundamentalist Christian takeover of our government and culture. Anyone who refuses to go along with it will have his/her rights taken away (by vote or edict) and/or criminalized. We see this happening right now with gay and Muslim Americans and also with Latino Americans. They start with the illegal immigrants and then work their way back. The radical right has no love for Latinos and only wants to use them to get votes to advance their own anti-gay, anti-everyone else agenda. Our Latino brothers and sisters should be given example after example of Republican anti-Latino comments and ideas and then see if they agree this Republican prejudice is a "value."

• 37. Ronnie  |  October 5, 2010 at 2:24 am

The hypachrisian part, Michael…is they their admin of the Facebook page, their brainwashed members, the other anti-gay pages…..always scream persecution & that Equality supporters (more specifically, Homosexuals….a lot of them are so deluded that they actually think the only people arguing with them & supporting Equality are gay people) are trying to silence them…..& yet they delete any & all opposition on their pages, don't allow opposition on their blogs, don't want us attending their public events on public property paid for my the people in which LGBT people's hard earned tax money went to pay for that public property that they are using & saying "we don't want you at our public event because you will not bow down to us…I mean live your life how I want you too…I mean our beliefs & definitions"….they don't want the press involved unless they press meets their demands…..

Now who is silencing who?…..NOM is!!!…The National Organization for Malevolence …… <3…Ronnie

• 38. Kathleen  |  October 6, 2010 at 6:16 am

Transcript of today's oral argument in Snyder v. Phelps available at the U.S. Supreme Court website: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argume

• 39. Bulk Texting  |  March 4, 2014 at 5:11 am

Bulk Texting
    I was looking for something like this ,Thank you for posting the great content like Video roundup on messaging: how our side gets it and NOM/Vota Tus Valores doesn’tI found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs.keep it up