BREAKING: Vota Tus Valores ally assaults NOM Tour Tracker videographer. Where does the bullying stop?

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-California Right-wing

Our videographer, Anthony Ash, was just assaulted by a man associated with the Vota Tus Valores tour. The Vota Tus Valores bus stopped at 17th & Main in Santa Ana, in front of the James G. Roche law firm, which is where today’s rally location was held (more on the Roche law firm later). Anthony was wearing a press pass, holding a small Flipcam and walking next to the private parking lot towards the Vota Tus Valores Bus when approached by an older Latino man (seen below) who said that our Trackers were on private property.

Vota Tus Valores man who struck Anthony

The man, who claimed to be the owner of the property, angrily told Anthony that this was private property, and quickly struck Anthony in the arm, knocking the camera to the ground. Our tour camera has been damaged, and we’re not sure that footage can be recovered. (Update: Anthony is shaken up, but fine. Thanks to all of you for inquiring)

The man, whose name we are working to obtain, then quickly ran into the firm. Now, you’re probably asking why in the world an event was held in a parking lot of a law firm at 17th and Main in Santa Ana. Well, guess whose smiling face is plastered on the front page of jamesgrochelaw.com:

James G. Roche Proudly Welcomes Our New Senior Counsel/Alfonso Aguilar/Former Chief of the USCIS Office of Citizenship/Alfonso will provide you with his exclusive and expert counsel.

The James G. Roche law firm, which has its main office in Santa Ana, specializes in immigration law. They also have an entire page devoted to photos of Alfonso, as well as a bio and recent articles/news clips. This is Alfonso’s home base. I’m guessing the reason the event was held here  is because they needed a location after moving it from this morning’s planned location, most likely because they didn’t have a permit, and so they could claim private property and bully anyone they didn’t want there.

The Santa Ana police were quick to respond. They quickly stopped the Vota Tus Valores Bus from making a quick getaway, and a complaint has been filed with the police for battery. More to come on the legal proceedings as it comes in.

Last, a few personal words on this behavior.

Last week, the attention of our nation was captivated by the suicide of the fifth and sixth gay teens in the past month alone. The rationale that drove them to such a tragic end was bullying, plain and simple. Bullying by secret videotape or bullying by peers in a Houston-area school.

This is a different kind of bullying, but the intent is the same: to make people feel like they are second-class, beneath those who bully.

It’s a pattern, now. Brian Brown doesn’t like that LGBT and allied supporters of equality stood up and exposed him and his organization for what they are, so he tried to have us evicted in Annapolis over the summer, an event for which the police apologized to Courage Campaign Institute. Alfonso argued he and his staff have “freedom of movement” and tried to intimidate us away from documenting their anti-equality arguments. Thomas tried to physically block Anthony from filming at a recent tour stop.

It’s all emblematic of the same problem: to make people feel like they are second-class.

I’m now openly gay, but I wasn’t always open. I’ve been harassed in my day- in the locker room, in school, at summer camp. They all did it for the same reason: because I’m different, and to them, people who are different are second-class.

So I know bullies when I see them, and that’s what I’m calling you, NOM: bullies. Do you hear me? You are no different than the bullies who harassed me or harassed those poor kids or anyone else across America.

You know why? Because you can’t handle us being every bit as equal as you.

And you know what else? It just cost you.

• 1. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

This is reprehensible, but I'm not entirely surprised. Is Ant okay?

• 2. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

Yes, he's fine, just shaken up.

• 3. Jeff  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:17 am

I hope Anthony is okay!

• 4. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:20 am

Thank goodness he's OK!

• 5. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:20 am

What can we do to help?

Anyone nearby have a video camera they could loan our Team?

• 6. Rhie  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:22 am

Yes! And good that he filed a report.

• 7. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:22 am

Ditto what Kathleen said. All of it.

These "people" are exactly like the gay-bashers that we read about day in and day out; they just try to pretty up their hate speech in terms like "family values."

Go get 'em. Battery is a crime punishable by a fine of $2000 or six months in jail. http://www.santa-cruz-criminal-defense.com/califo

I wonder how the esteemed offices of James G. Roche will like the fact that one of their staff is a criminal?

Fiona

• 8. StraightForEquality  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

Throw the book at that bully!

• 9. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

I'm wondering how Alfonso Aguilar is offering the "highest quality counsel available" when he doesn't appear to be a member of the California Bar.

Ann, Trish, am I missing something here? Can anyone find him listed? http://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/member.aspx

• 10. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

"You know why? Because you can’t handle us being every bit as equal as you."

Exactly, Adam….& they are on the war path….ever since the verdict, & the fact that the bullying is getting all this notice & more & more People are jumping the anti-gay ship struggling for a life raft to the S.S. Equality…the Hateros (I'm bringing that word back) are getting angrier, more violent, their words are getting darker & degrading.

They are loathing that we are getting stronger & are finally saying enough is enough…NO MORE!!!…I am American & that fact that you have a problem with one aspect of my life is irrelevant & I will not allow you to use it to control any aspect of my life anymore…..EQUALITY NOW!!!!

The camera can be replaced,,,& thankfully it didn't go further then it did with Anthony…although that guy shouldn't have went there to begin with..putting his hands on some other person in an aggressive way…oh yes real nice, real loving, real "Christian"…NOT!!!…. : / …Ronnie

• 11. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

That guy definitely looks like a lawyer.

Have the police tracked him down for assaulting Ant? And also for property damage?

• 12. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

Perhaps one of the lawyers here can tell us if Anthony has a cause of action for a civil suit.

• 13. Sagesse  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:25 am

I'm speechless. I hope the police respond appropriately.

• 14. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:26 am

Can a search be made to determine the actual owner of the property at 17th and Main in Santa Ana. Was the attacker authorized to act in the property owner's behalf or was he an independent actor?? If he acted on behalf of the property owner, he/they should be liable for harm (pain and suffering, too) to Anthony and for damages to his camera.

• 15. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:27 am

I certainly do not.

• 16. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:28 am

Any idea to whom the attacker was talking on the phone? Was he receiving instructions??

• 17. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

You're right, he's not a member of the California Bar.

According to the Roche firm's site, "He is a member of the Puerto Rico Bar Association, the League of United Latin American Citizens, and the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials."

It's a bit dodgy to be a member of the PR bar and join an office in California, although for purposes of practicing immigration law I wouldn't call it outrageous.

• 18. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Wow, Dave P's mom should have seen THAT happen!

• 19. BradK  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Looks like the "Road to Nowhere" tour is finally headed somewhere — arraignment.

• 20. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

We're working with the police at the moment. More as it comes.

• 21. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Hey, please don't insult all lawyers by comparing our looks to his.
    ;)

• 22. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

He appears to be a member of the Puerto Rico Bar Association, and joined this Roche firm in 2009. He may not yet have passed the CA Bar.

It looks like he has four years to practice in CA before he is forced to take the bar or retract his "shingle": http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Requirements.aspx

Fiona

• 23. BradK  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

Looks like hired muscle to me. A lawyer would have more sense than to assault photographer with a press pass.

• 24. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

But since PR is part of the US anyway (territory), what difference would being a member of that bar have to do with immigration? Residents of PR, unlike Mexicans, don't need immigration law, right????

• 25. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

PS — If someone who understands this better than I can explain the requirements business that allow "four years of study with a CA law firm" as qualification to take the bar, that would be great. I interpret it to mean that he can be paid to practice law without the State Bar certification as long as the firm specifies that he is studying for the exam.

• 26. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

Yeah, I didn't know that assaulting people was a "family value."

Fiona

• 27. Dave P.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

My mom mentioned that she overheard one of our people talking to the police at the end of the event about what sounded like an altercation. But she wasn't sure about the details so I didn't mention it in my post about the Santa Ana stop.

Not sure if she can help, because it doesn't sound like she was an eyewitness, but I'll talk to her again tonight and if there is anything she can do to assist I'm sure she will. Someone from P8TT can email me at davep2 at sbcglobal dot net and I'll get her in touch with P8TT if she can help.

• 28. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

Whoops! Good point, Ann. (Foot-in-Mouth Merit Badge, self-awarded…..)

• 29. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

He has cause of action for a *criminal* charge.

Fiona

• 30. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:33 am

That's pretty much the same uniform our previous facility security guards had (dark slacks, blue jacket, white shirt, striped tie). I'm guessing he's the building security dude … and that he wasn't briefed very well on how one deals with the press.

Fiona

• 31. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:34 am

No telling what might be showing up in the background of her photos, too………

• 32. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:35 am

Also, we have an eyewitness on the scene we're working to get testimony from.

• 33. Richard A. Walter (s  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:36 am

So, these folks are showing their true colors once again. I hope this makes the national mainstream media and shows these folks for the supreme sphincters they really are.

• 34. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:37 am

Call the local press.

• 35. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:37 am

So, apparently 1702 N. Main is some kind of office building, which also has retail outlets (florist, furniture store)? I don't think that Mr. Tus Valores Toughguy can really stop members of the public from coming to public facilities. It's not as though Ant et al were in the hallway outside the James G. Roche offices; they were outdoors, in an area that is open to the public.

Someone was most assuredly in the wrong — and it wasn't Ant, et al.

Fiona

• 36. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:38 am

If the attacker was getting instructions or reporting to someone in the law firm, that could be construed as participating in a conspiracy to do bodily harm, it seems to me.

• 37. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:38 am

I'm just sayin' …

Fiona

• 38. Jimmy  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:38 am

I found the tax record online, but the owner's name is not listed: http://bit.ly/b9XCEv

I'm searching for anything else…

• 39. Rick  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:41 am

Fiona…in some families, assault is a "family value" sad to say.

• 40. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:42 am

Very impressive, Jimmy!

• 41. Rick  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:43 am

Should be fairly easy…just go to the property assessors office with the address, that should be public record.

• 42. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

Is anyone still able to follow the bus while the police are dealing with the assault?

• 43. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

Dave P's mom would be a good choice……

• 44. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

Our team is back on the road.

• 45. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

Kate, my point is that immigration law is a national practice, and knowledge of a particular state's law is not critical to being able to successfully practice it. Some aspects of real estate law are very dependent on the law of the particular state, and it would not be prudent to obtain legal advice from a lawyer not licensed in that state (not to mention that the lawyer in question may be violating the laws of that state against practicing without a license).

Something like immigration law is less dependent on laws of a particular state, so I don't find it outrageous that someone with a valid bar membership in a US state or territory should practice federal immigration law from an office in another state or territory. The California Bar Association may take a different view, and Kathleen has provided us with a link to the applicable rule on that.

• 46. Jimmy  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

Thanks, Kate!

If we could find out who the guy in the picture is, we could confirm/deny ownership of the property. I do know that James Roche doesn't own it. :)

• 47. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

Do you need a camera, Adam?

• 48. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:49 am

hee hee hee — they ought to know better than to mess with a board full of Digital Queers.

• 49. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:49 am

(meant as a reply to Jimmy's research)

• 50. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:51 am

Fiona, if you mean this requirement: "Four years of study in the law office/judge’s chambers study program", then that is an alternative to attending law school. It's sort of the "Abe Lincoln" method of becoming an attorney — working in a law office and studying law as you do it. Almost no one goes this route. I think every lawyer that I know has gone to an accredited law school in order to become a lawyer.

• 51. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:53 am

My bad, it was Fiona who provided the link, but I replied before reading the link. The link is not about how long he may practice in CA before taking the bar, it's about an alternative to law school for admission to the California bar.

Alfonso really ought to be studying for the next California bar exam, methinks. Maybe that's what he's really doing on the bus.

• 52. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:53 am

At this address:

American Legal Center
    Flowers
    James G Roche Law Offices
    John A Rosenbaum Law Offices: Rosenbaum John A
    Natale Coffee – 1 review
    Patt American Travelers Inc
    Rosenberg James
    Rosenberg Jas Atty

• 53. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:54 am

My question, quite obviously, is whether there is a cause of action for a civil lawsuit.

• 54. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:55 am

Thanks, Ann. That was exactly what I was asking … because it wasn't entirely clear to me.

I would think he would have to present himself for the next bar exam at a minimum, as you state. (Maybe they're staying at all the swanky hotels so that Alfonso can study his Bar materials in piece and tranquility … while drinking beer and eating chicharones.)

Fiona

• 55. Don in Texas  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:56 am

If the owner if the property, whoever that may be, gave permission for the bus tour to use the building's parking lot and if that location was advertised on the NOM's website, then they "invited" the public onto the property.

• 56. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:57 am

In CA, battery is also a tort. It can be tried as criminal, civil or both.

Love,
    Fiona (who thought that you were asking whether he had grounds solely for a civil suit and apologizes for misinterpreting)

• 57. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:58 am

Um, yeah. Look under Oct 4.

It's an announced stop.

Fiona

• 58. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:59 am

By which, "um, yeah," I mean "Um, yeah … they invited the public."

Shades of Annapolis …

Fiona

• 59. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:00 am

They did. It is advertised on their site as at 17th & Main. When I looked at Google Earth, there was also a Latino Health building on one of the 4 corners; I figured that's where they'd be going. This locations is directly opposite the health services building, across the street.

• 60. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:01 am

Fiona: Also shades of Best Western in Santa Barbara….

• 61. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:01 am

@Kate No, they've got one, but thank you for asking!

• 62. Joel  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:04 am

Maybe they could add into the police report that it is believed that this case of battery was hate-based, and that bottom feeder lawyer (no offense to our GREAT legal eagles here) can face up to five years!

• 63. Gabriel  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:05 am

I was about ten feet away when the assault happened. I saw and heard everything and made a report to the police as well when they were doing questioning on site. I want to let you guys on P8TT & CCI know (especially Anthony, poor guy) that I want to offer any help I can regarding this incident. Both now and in the future. :)

• 64. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:05 am

Did Alfonso and his gang see this happen?

• 65. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

Gabriel, can you fill us in? Adam and the gang are going to have a hard time posting all the info for a while.

• 66. Marlene  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

That sure looks like high-end security drag to me.

• 67. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Look folks! A little smack down from someone acting in an official capacity protecting marriage is one thing, but an over zealous (perhaps) protester attempting to shout down an official speaker is quite another.

• 68. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

Is it any wonder these folks adore Linda McMahon of the WWF/Girls Gone Wild partnership for Senate.

• 69. Carpool Cookie  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

THANKS, GABRIELLE!

• 70. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:15 am

:;facepalm::

I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic … and that bugs me, LOL.

Fiona

• 71. fiona64  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:16 am

Okay, *now* I can tell you were being sarcastic.

It's been that kind of a day …

Argh.

Love,
    Fiona (with apologies and stuff)

• 72. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:17 am

Just got home to this. I'm so glad Anthony is OK.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 73. Carpool Cookie  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:18 am

I was all ready with a huffy reply, too : )

• 74. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:18 am

Thanks for standing up, Gabriel. Looking forward to your help.

• 75. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:18 am

Sue Fiorina, too.

• 76. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:21 am

Speaking of assault…cross-posting this from my post of Freedom Fighters for Equality….

Two SI men arrested for bias attack inside landmark gay bar: police
    By JAMIE SCHRAM, DAVID K. LI and DAN MANGAN
    Last Updated: 5:35 PM, October 4, 2010
    Posted: 2:30 PM, October 4, 2010

‎"We don't like gay bars, &we don't piss next to f—ts," one of them said..

(me)hello, you were in the legendary NYC historical LGBT landmark, The Stonewall Inn..The article mentions another attack on Friday of an anti-gay man striking a gay man on the head w/a garbage can In Chelsea, Manhattan (another heavily LGBT populated NYC neighborhood) ..great "Christian" & "family Values"..NOT!!!

I feel another Stonewall Riot on the horizon

• 77. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:21 am

I just love a good snark. Nice to see you again Fiona.

• 78. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:22 am

: / …Ronnie

• 79. bonobo  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:22 am

subcribing

• 80. Carpool Cookie  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

Can you imagine if our side assaulted someone on the NOM tour.

Their website and facebook pages would [i]explode![/i]

I am glad Anthony is okay.

• 81. J. E. Freeman  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:30 am

FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE. IT'S THE MOST EXPENSIVE RIGHT WE HAVE AND YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR IT!!!!!!
    UNTIL YOU DON'T. I'M A STONEWALL VET AND I'VE BEEN FIGHTING AND MARCHING FOR YEARS.
    IN WHAT EVER WAY YOU CAN

STAND UP!!! FIGHT BACK!!!!!! STOP THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE YOUR OWN HERO.

• 82. Rev. Will Fisher  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:33 am

Are you OK or do I need to fly out there and go Rob Ray on his ass?

• 83. Bobw  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:42 am

Dollars to donuts #votabus and #NO4M disavow any association with this man.

• 84. Straight Ally #3008  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

Cornered animals tend to lash out, and the NOMNOMs are cornered.

• 85. JonT  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Subscribing… I assume the police are involved?

• 86. Alan E.  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:49 am

Get the camera to a crafty IT person who might be able to recover the information. The processes inside the camera might be broken, but the hard drive might not be.

• 87. Bennett  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:50 am

The last few nights I have been accosted, so to speak, by two large groups of people. Once while ridiing my "stereotypical" scooter through Houston's version of a GLBT neighborhood (Montrose/Heights) by a pickup truck of naredowells who said some pretty entertaining things. freedom of speech is a bitch! And sadly, by a group of African American teenagers standing on a wall when I showed up white at their neighborhood gas station (They actually commited assult in the legal sense by charging me thinking they were having some fun, but no harm done.) My point is that people will do more in a group then they will as individuals, so do not underestimate the mob mentality.

• 88. Mouse  |  October 4, 2010 at 8:52 am

You just have to ask yourself, "Who would Jesus bash?"

• 89. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:04 am

I don't think Orange County puts the property owners' names online. But it's available in person at the county offices.

• 90. Gabriel  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:09 am

Just tell me what you might need and I'll see if I can provide it!

• 91. Gabriel  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:11 am

You're welcome!!!

And it's 'Gabriel' hun. I'm the boy one, not the girl one… No worries though, I get that ALL the time, haha.

• 92. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

Another parking lot where they don't have permission to campaign?

Wednesday, October 6:

•10:00 AM – Panorama City Mall Parking Lot

• 93. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

Ant'ny, you'll feel better on Wednesday.

• 94. Anna Bryant  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

Did anyone see Louis' groovy new avatar on his twitter account? Clearly done by him. It's a red man and a blue woman with a wood dowel in their backs (like those hillbilly dancing toys), being forced together by red and blue swirling lines. It is, quite literally, a big picture window into his inner consiousness. He must have some serious free time on his hands.

Meanwhile, he tweets that gays don't get bullied or harassed because their gay. I guess they are just unlucky.

• 95. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:29 am

Panorama City Mall Parking Lot

OMG! That was 'my mall' when I was in Jr. High. It was one of the first malls built in the San Fernando Valley – long before the Galleria of 'Valley Girl' fame.

• 96. bonobo  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:36 am

Never take the weekends off guys/gals. It takes forever to catch up with this very active group. I've just caught up to this page, now gotta go check on the other ones.

As for the guy being a Security Guard, just some observation from someone who should know, You have to pay big buck extra's to the company for not letting them advertise the Security Company names on the guards (ie patches, ties, tie clip etc.)

A low key uniform like that usually means the s/o's are not well trained. Their main job is to check the stinking badges and answer the telephone. This type of S/O is usually found just inside of the main doors manning the front receptionist area. On graves and after 5 pm, they walk the floors and parking lots once an hour.

All security type uniforms, patches & badges must be registered with the police department / city where they will be worn.

In 30 years, I've never known a S/O to be allowed to have a beard, unless he is part of Corporate. And if he's part of Corporate, this was planned from the get go.

Other than that, you are right, the colors are standard issue low key security, although it's cut too well for something that's off the rack, probably cleaned in the washing machine, and has been worn by many many different people through the years. Although the pull of the top buttonhole is interesting.

• 97. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:39 am

Last April:

AND for those of you who missed my who's who post:

Alfonso Aguilar is the Executive Director of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles

The Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles coalition is an outreach of the American Principles Project.

Robert George is the founder of the American Principles Project, and the Fiorina effort is the work of APP’s action arm, American Principles in Action.

Robert George CO-FOUNDED NOM.

There will be a quiz tommorow… 30% of your grade.

• 98. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:42 am

Very insightful and observant, Bo.

How are you doing????

• 99. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:44 am

And for those of you who want to join Alfie on LinkedIn
    feel free to:

Contact Alfonso Aguilar

Add Alfonso Aguilar to your network

at:

• 100. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

It's interesting that for "Industry" he put "Political Organization". Good thing he's not practicing law without a license.

Hmmm, I wonder what the California state bar rules are on sharing your law office with a political organization.

• 101. Jerry Halstead  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:48 am

I'm tired of all this bullying, and all these kids dying. I know what bullying is because I was bullied in school — not because I was gay, but because I wore thick glasses. That took place in Elementary school, and nobody stopped it. I took it again in High School because I was Gay. I got a double wammy! So whenever, wherever it happens we gotta fight back by filing charges, suing, whatever legal action we can take!

• 102. Roger  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:59 am

I'd say sue the law firm and NOM into oblivion for assault and battery since he was acting as a representative of the law firm as well as NOM

• 103. bonobo  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:59 am

Hey Kate. I'm doing okay. Taking everything a little bit at a time. I miss my friend, have a lot of anger issues which I'm trying to logic myself out of.
    All in all, I'm going through the stages and wish it wouldn't take so long. I just miss her alot.
    Thanks for asking.

• 104. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:03 am

I'm thinking about you, Bo, and sending good energy.

• 105. truthspew  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:04 am

Well you have a decent photo of the perp. Now you just need to establish identity.

And I hope you prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

• 106. Sean  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:05 am

Glad Anthony is okay…that was my first concern. Now it's time we throw the book at this 'man.'

• 107. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:06 am

Their latest tweet:
    on to our escondido stop! on a roll, now!
    8 minutes ago via web

Yeah, like in rolling over Anthony.

• 108. Sean  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:07 am

Thick glasses? Geez. I was bullied for having red hair. Yeah, I know, how dare I, right?

I'll never understand people.

• 109. Jonathan H  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:09 am

“Who would Jesus bash?”

Loansharks?

• 110. Trish  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:10 am

As the United States becomes smaller due to technology, lawyers routinely practice law in other states. Usually, they will associate with a lawyer or lawyers in the state in which the subject of law is located, but not necessarily. As Ann said, immigration is a national issue, based on federal (not state) laws, and therefore there is nothing unusual about someone with a license to practice law in Puerto Rico joining up with a law firm in CA to practice immigration law.

• 111. Dpeck  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:32 am

I just got an email from mom with fourteen photos of the Santa Ana stop. I'll forward them to P8TT.

• 112. Kate  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:36 am

Yay dpeck's mom!!!

• 113. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

I showed this post to my DH (dear hubby) and he is not laughing…. This post struck a nerve He is in college and feels bullied constantly.

Hispanic, non-Mormon, gay, Democrat, living in Utah. He ends up dropping classes because of comments and innuendo's teachers and student make. Notably a couple of weeks ago he dropped a business management class after he innocently commented that locally, religion is a large part of business…the teacher strong disagreed, stating "this is not a philosophy class…she grabbed another student to back her up and said "Its me and the whole class is against you…" Why so hostile to a simple and absolutely true comment?

Last week a student made a very loud and distinctive comment obviously directed at him how its hard to tell straight from HOMOSEXUAL classmates.

These are just two very recent incidents of many. This has become almost a daily occurrence as the anti-gay, anti-Hispanic, anti-Obama (aka any democrat) sentiment escalates.

I SUGGEST WE TELL OUR BULLYING STORIES…and work on purging this asinine and barbaric treatment. Today we may have a few less Harvey Milk moments…(aka murder in the street and policemen not caring as "its just a homosexual") but the hatred is still real, the tactics are just a little less blatant.

• 114. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:40 am

p.s. Thank you Jerry Halstead for telling your story.

• 115. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

thx Dpeck!

• 116. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:44 am

OUCH!

• 117. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

Looking forward to seeing them and Yay! DPeck's Mom!!

• 118. bonobo  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:04 am

If you're right about the Security Officer, their other job description is usually monitoring CCTV. Anyone check the lot for cameras? Most companies set the videos to record on 24 hour vcr tapes, and reuse the tape once a week. (Every friday you tape over the last fridays tape,) or they use a 30 day system. Of course, now that digitals are so popular, and I've been out of the business for 6 or 7 years, not sure how it works. But you might want to check for "good neighbor" cams.

I see my spelling is going to hell in a handbasket, think I'll step away for a minute or two.

• 119. Michael  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:08 am

While shrill anti-gay activist Brian Brown screams "bullying and intimidation" against HRC, the militant anti-gay pressure group NOM nurtures a climate of intolerance that causes our young people to commit suicide. Now, the NOM sponsored Hate Tour II in California assaults our videographer. You can be sure that unrepentant homophobes Brown and/or Gallagher will try to spin it as an attack on them. Thank you for documenting this stuff and reporting it to the police so we can see the real ugly face of the immoral anti-gay agenda.

• 120. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:11 am

Be careful Bennett! Glad u were not hurt!

• 121. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:11 am

Thank U for YEARS of fighting J.E.!

• 122. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:13 am

and only one person recommends him… could it be the Haggie? or "BM Brown" (take your choice… 'Big Mouth' or 'Bowel Movement' … both are apropos)

• 123. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:15 am

Hi Sheryl Mom! Thank you for your efforts running around the past few days!

Curious what you thought of President Packer's comments at conference… I really wonder how the LDS church will adjust. On one hand some in church are absolutely unbending, evidence of President Packer's comments. Others in church (like YOU! Bless YOU!!) show heroic compassion.

Bless you and your family Sheryl! Love, Gregory

2910 comments and rising!!!!

• 124. Breaking the Silence  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:20 am

Glad to see Anthony is ok as well. Make sure you follow up on that prosecution! …But remember; ballot signatures and financial contributions by anti-LGBT supporters need to be kept secret, and cameras kept out of courtrooms, because *they're* the ones that need to fear attack/reprisal. :s

• 125. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:21 am

Is it legal to practice law in California w/out being a member of the CA Bar?

• 126. Phil L  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:22 am

Well with eyewitness testimony, police report, and charges filed there's very little they really can do to spin it in their favor.

Sure, they can say that it's being "blown out of proportion," but if someone manages to recover the footage the public can see for themselves.

• 127. Sean  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

Nor should your husband be laughing. If what you say about his educational experiences is true (and I have no reason to doubt they are) then he needs to talk to the university administration NOW. That is an incredibly inappropriate way for a teacher to act. As for the behavior of the students, that too can be mentioned and the specific students can face penalties, no matter how trivial.

Your husband paid tuition to learn, not to be bullied and harrassed by ignorant morons. The administration needs to know.

• 128. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

Now. lesson 2 for the day… 20% of your grade…

Study this:

Here is a quasi-mashup video (or you could call it a "scum bucket") which shows some of the major players of the year 2010 LGBT oppression… some have been in the public eye more than others….

For 20 points, who in this video had the nerve to show their face at a NOM Summer Bus tour rally?

Hint: This person thinks that they are the "Big Cheese" of a famous Civil Rights family… and a first name initial would be "V" (not "A"),

• 129. Ray in MA  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

This is for Adam and his ailing sidekick Anthony.

Music to enjoy while following a bus….

• 130. Gregory in SLC  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

I agreed 100% Sean. However, my soon-to-be Husband is not in a position to complain now so largely tries to manage best he can….though I can tell you this bullying really affects the mood of our household. If I had the luxury of attending class with him I would. I would LOVE to challenge every discriminatory comment or action! Equality of marriage at the Federal level cannot come soon enough!

• 131. Paul in Minneapolis  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

Anthony, I'm glad you're OK.

I was bullied as a kid. The people who bullied me better hope they never cross my path. Hell knows no fury like a bully who has learned to fight back.

It feels so good that we are all fighting back!!!

• 132. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

very very late subscribing. I hope Anthony is okay! Don't let the bully's intimidate!

• 133. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Paul in Minneapolis – were you at the St Paul rally this summer? Will you drop me a private message on facebook?

• 134. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Yeah, we have a few tech wizards on the case. There's a small chance.

• 135. adambink  |  October 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

You know I used to play this on piano when I was a kid?

• 136. Vaati  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Sometimes she's very incorrect, sometimes she's dead on. A message from Sarah Silverman to America – and one I am directing at NOM, the people who are directly contributing to the messages of hate and the bullying.

• 137. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm

It's a landlord value, he owns the property remember? Might is right. Bow down before your feudal lord….or should that be "futile"?

• 138. Josiah  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

This afternoon I watched the whole of the "New Yorker" debate with Brown, David Boies, Bishop Gene Robinson, Cynthia Nixon and a fellow from the Log Cabin Republicans whose name I forget. Anyway, Brown tried to play the victim (well, he was outnumbered on the stage) and referred to his people being shouted down in Providence and Madison, but Bishop Gene didn't let him get away with it. He basically said, "How dare you compare your minor inconveniences to the real suffering of LGBTQ people?" David Boies also pointed out that for every verified case of intimidation or threats towards equality opponents, there are scores of verified cases of intimidation, threats, and actual assaults towards LGBTQ people. The video costs $4.95 to watch, but I think it was completely worth it. Here's the link:

• 139. Elizabeth Oakes  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm

LOL@"supreme sphincters" Richard, but be fair: sphincters are useful and we couldn't live without them. Need I say more.

• 140. Rhie  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Preferably a heavy, hardback like the complete OED.

• 141. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I loved their dance….I voted for them & so did my Mom…you can also vote 10 times per email address on the ABC…..Dancing with the starts website….yes yes yes…vote…<3…Ronnie

• 142. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Gregory, I knew as soon as Boyd K. started his talk that I was tuning him out. Wish everyone would. From reading the New Order Mormon (found when I was searching for NOM, LOL), it seems that his talk to the young men several years ago is no longer given the weight it used to be. I've never heard that talk but you probably know the one I'm referring to.

I expressed this on the other topic, but I really look forward to the time when the church welcomes all, regardless of sexual orientation. And, I think that day will come, when is the question. Brigham Young taught that if the white and black blood mixed, the people would surly die (doesn't happen). There was a time when members did not expect that Blacks would ever hold the Priesthood or that mixed race marriages would ever be solemnized in the Temple and that now happens. There is hope, but there are a lot of hearts to be softened first. Don't think Boyd K's will ever be one of those. It really doesn't matter what the next life has to offer, civil marriage is not a religious ceremony and there is no good reason to withhold marriage from a segment of our citizens.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 143. Jonathan H  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Ok, Lurker in Wine Country (sounds like a Lovecraft story), I called it ten times. I'm trusting you and Ronnie on this. If I see video of it tomorrow and the dance totally sucks I'll have to track you down and pour ants in your bed. Nothing personal, you know. ^.^

Incidentally, I tried calling from my gmail and it wouldn't pick up. Guess they're wise to that.

• 144. Carol  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Adam, as victim, can't control whether Aguilar is prosecuted, because it's solely up to the prosecutors to vindicate society's right to have its members free from violence. The victim can file a civil suit against the perpetrator for battery and damage to personal property.

If Aguilar is interested in one day becoming a member of the California bar, a criminal conviction and/or an unpaid civil judgment could be a stumbling block.

• 145. Carol  |  October 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Oops, not Adam but Anthony. And not Aguilar but his alter ego.

Sorry.

• 146. Talk About Equality&hellip  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

[...] Now it seems that NOM has demonstrated the ugliness and violence behind their positions.  In a recent encounter the videographer from the Tour Tracker team, Anthony Ash, was assaulted by a NOM supporter. [...]

• 147. Dpeck  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

….. Jen??

….. Is that you ??

: )

• 148. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Kathleen, your question is more complex than it would first appear. Yes, it is illegal to practice law in California without being licensed in California. However, the law does not define what is "practicing law".

It is common practice, for example, for a lawyer in New York to negotiate a lease for property in California, and vice versa.

Litigators (of which I am not one) can get admitted in courts of other states pro hoc vice, but there is no comparable practice for non-litigators.

Another question would be whether lawyers can share offices with non-lawyer practices, such as Aguilar's "industry", per his Linked In profile, of "political organization". The rules on this have been changing and I haven't kept up because it doesn't affect me, but such things as, for instance, a real estate lawyer and a real estate broker sharing an office (and fees) used to be prohibited, and still may be for all I know.

Hope that helps.

• 149. Kathleen  |  October 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ann. I should have been more specific in my question (though you addressed it). I know about attorneys appearing in a case pro hoc vice, but I was wondering whether someone could actually advise clients, as it appears Aguilar might be doing with the Santa Ana firm. I also haven't kept up with what sort of business associations are allowed. I know is used to be that you weren't allowed to have a non-lawyer as a business partner, but I don't think it mattered where they were licensed.

Anyway, just curious.

• 150. Ann S.  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Kathleen, that appears to be their plan, but it may be that he hasn't advised any yet, what with being on the tour. It is theoretically possible for him to work but not practice law under the supervision of a CA lawyer, but you can imagine how problematic that can be. It is often done with new graduates waiting for their bar results, and the usual restrictions are pretty much: no signing of letters, no talking to clients, you just write memos for the other lawyers. If any letter is signed the status of the signer must be crystal clear.

However, I have seen letterhead implying that a firm has an attorney resident in, say, CA who is only admitted in the bar of another state. And if they were, say, practicing federal tax law, no one would probably say a word.

It's a big messy area without too many clear answers.

• 151. Wine Country Lurker  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Jonathan, here it is:

The story explanation part starts about 1 minute, 10 seconds in.

The dancing starts at about 2 minutes, 20 seconds in.

The after-dance interview (important part) starts around 4 minutes, 21 seconds.

She wasn't the best of the night, but certainly not the worst either in my opinion. (That Jersey Shore guy was so awful I used his time for a kitchen-run.)

The cynic in me just sees rat bastards like the NOMbies lapping it up if she gets voted off this week, claiming that it's proof supporting their evil views. So she just can't get voted off _this_ week where NOM and their ilk could then try to claim it as a victory and say America voted "against" her Pride Samba, rather than the actual truth which would be that American just voted "for" other dancers…..

(She's not the best, and not improving as fast as others, so she'll go soon… but dear dog please please please please let her make it through _this_ week…..!)

I found on the abc website that "Voting is open Monday from the start of the show until 11am Eastern/8am Pacific Tuesday".

You can also SMS Text message the word VOTE to 3405 if you are an AT&T Wireless customer. You can vote online, too, via Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and/or an ABC.com website account by starting at http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-star

I've gotten in 50 votes through the various methods and am finally calling it a night.

Back to the Shadow (but offering y'all a nice bottle of wine before I go)…

• 152. Ronnie  |  October 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Yeah I agree..It wasn't the best technique wise…definitely better then The Situation…Unwed Mommy was boring….Margret & Louis looked like they had fun & it was an awesome tribute in lieu of all the heartbreaking tragedy that has recently occurred….the HD video was just posted….<3…Ronnie:

• 153. Day 8 on the NOM Californ&hellip  |  October 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm

[...] you missed it, our tour videographer, Anthony Ash, was assaulted in Santa Ana by a man affiliated with the Vota Tus Valores tour and Alfonso Aguilar’s law [...]

• 154. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Flipcams actually use Flash Ram, its better than a hard drive. I’ve accidentally washed my flash drives and they come out just fine.

As long as the USB connector and main board are intact, it can probably be connected to a laptop and the memory read, even if it doesn’t power on anymore.

If its really broken apart, its also possible they use a removable flash chip, like a microSD card. If you can’t read it, post the model number, I’ll be able to get more info on it.

• 155. Jenny  |  October 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Dave P’s mom was there. She’s really bummed she missed seeing this. She’d be an amazing witness!!

• 156. Wine Country Lurker Grrl  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Apologies for this probably not being the right place to post this… After getting the Courage Campaign email today about Anthony’s assault, I had my donation in as soon as the initial shock and disbelief wore off. But I have been in a funk ever since.

Until I just now.

I think everybody on the west coast needs to call 1-800-868-3405 to vote for the Pride Samba that Margaret Cho and Luis VanAmstel just did on Dancing with the Stars, to speak out about the recent multiple GLBT teen suicides.

For those of you who don’t watch DWTS, it has been the #1 show on Monday nights for the new Fall TV Season. That’s a **LOT** of Americans who just watched what I watched. I hope it is all over YouTube and talked about on every gay-friendly blog on the planet by tomorrow — but by then will be too late to vote for them.

You get 10 calls per phone line. Voting should be open up until midnight PDT, and is probably already closed for other timezones. The judges didn’t give them very good scores, either…. but this message isn’t about that (or the fact that she’s competing against Bristol Palin, among others).

I just for some reason feel the need to do what I can to completely burn up their phone lines and break all records ever set in terms of number of votes received in the entire history of the show — SPECIFICALLY for this one performance. And I didn’t know where else to post this…. from what I have read here over the last many many weeks of lurking here, you all are an awesome force to contend with.

They’ve never before announced the top audience vote-getting couple. I can only hope they will tomorrow night because enough people called for Margaret and Louis….

Back to the shadows, but before I do I want to virtually hug you all. I am an obsessive P8TT follower, who just sits on this side of the keyboard feeling so helpless…. Maybe a little less helpless tonight… I don’t know yet….

–Straight Lurker in Wine Country

• 157. Chris in Lathrop  |  October 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Way late being better than never… Wow! Sorry to hear the news Anthony! Are you alright? I mean, not just physically?

@Brian the Bigot Brown: If you can talk about being shouted down, we can sure talk about assault. (¡Hola, Tomas y Louis!)

• 158. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 2:10 am

Hi Sheryl MM :)

Thank you for your comments. Like I put on the other post, I used to follow conference until about 2 years ago because much of it gave me good feelings. But there is enough distasteful things I hear, most very subtle, some more blatant like Pres. Packer's remarks that watching conference does not make me feel good. So I choose not to follow it. I used to love the Tab choir, but even the Tab Choir irritates because I'm aware of internal conflicts, politics related to the choir and their singing in conference is too subdued for my tastes. I'm digressing….

If a devout member, how does one just not listen to one of the 12 apostles? I was raised these are men of God and their words are sacred. If you review some of the 3000+ messages to a Salt Lake paper story about this you will find many that agree 100% with President Packer's remarks. You and I could talk at great lengths of this but we would be preaching "to the choir" ;)

Big sigh… what it comes down to I live my life what my heart tells me. There has been enough contradictions within the church I want no part of it. Funny how that happens…when you realize one thing that you were taught to believe is not true you question other things. Pretty soon all is unraveled and I'm starting with a blank slate. I love the feeling of newness and filling my slate on my terms, listening/paying attention to what is true for me…not what others want me to believe.

Love always to you Sheryl and your family.

• 159. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 3:12 am

p.s. yes his talk to young men inspired and troubled me for most of my life.

• 160. Trish  |  October 5, 2010 at 3:31 am

I just wanted to add that in my practice, we have California lawyers who focus on federal income tax law for the issuance of Bonds in Tennessee or Michigan, etc. We will often work with an attorney in Tennessee or Michigan or wherever. We've got attorneys in New York who work on transactions in California. We've got attorneys in Washington who work on transactions in New York. As Ann said, the waters are muddy and multijurisdictional practice rules are unclear on issues of federal law.

• 161. Rhie  |  October 5, 2010 at 4:09 am

Wait, they don't like gay bars yet went into a well known one? Yea ok.

On the upside, this shows we have made progress in law at least. The cops arrested and charged the assailants rather than the assaulted.

• 162. Rhie  |  October 5, 2010 at 4:23 am

He might not want to or have the strength to go to the feds right now, but if that is a public university accepting public money at all – even in the form of federally backed loans – the behavior of the teachers is illegal. Federal law on harassment applies to LGBT folk now.

• 163. Sapphocrat  |  October 5, 2010 at 5:42 am

I posted the photo and the P8TT link on The Lavender Newswire:

…and Miked Tidmus picked it up:

Hopefully, this will make its way around the LGBT blogs, and someone will recognize the guy.

• 164. Lesbians Love Boies  |  October 5, 2010 at 5:46 am

If anyone has a twitter account you can tweet from either link to #votabus

• 165. Day 8 on the NOM Californ&hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 7:34 am

[...] you missed it, our tour videographer, Anthony Ash, was assaulted in Santa Ana by a man affiliated with the Vota Tus Valores tour and Alfonso Aguilar’s law firm. [...]

• 166. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Thanks for Comments Rhie. Biting tongue until appropriate time.

• 167. Adults who teach kids to &hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 10:18 am

[...] to yesterday’s events on the NOM California tour, when a Vota Tus Valores/NOM associated man assaulted our videographer, or a few days’ before that, when Thomas tried to physically block Anthony from videotaping, [...]

• 168. Sean  |  October 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

Well, I respect your decision of course, though I would argue the 'correct position' point…it doesn't matter where you stand on the academic ladder, bullying is bullying and must be put a stop to. If the administration isn't taking steps towards that, they are letting down your fiance and the rest of the students in the school that suffer such harrassment.

I do hope things work out. As a future teacher myself, such stories strike a chord with me.

• 169. Gregory in SLC  |  October 5, 2010 at 11:12 am

Sean/Rhie Our action (rather inaction) is not w/out reason. This is just one of the MYRIAD of cases where equality of marriage can't come fast enough! Elizabeth Oakes has testified how marriage could fix many of these issues…

…I've told our story before but my partner is from another country, Lived half his life in U.S. Speaks, writes English far better than I, gifted social scientist, editor, writer. He came with father,an educator hired by a U.S. company to manage large area education system. ALL of the rest of family came years ago as children and/or married "straight" partners. He came a few months after celebrating 18th birthday and now been in "limbo" for well over a decade.

This is the home he knows. No family elsewhere but faces extreme consequences if a teacher, a classmate or other person makes trouble for him. He(and I) often feel impotent to take action…waiting, hoping a little longer so don't end up separated like some of these other dear P8TT persons.

The treatment/innuendos he receives because Hispanic is reprehensible. His Mother is elegant, sophisticated, artist and a champion Tango dancer, yet gets treated with disdain from "true Americans" as the anti-Hispanic sentiment in this country grows. Hoping HOPING HOPING that 2011 will bring equality on a federal level. It could happen! :D

• 170. Sagesse  |  October 5, 2010 at 11:52 am

Definitely worth the time and the $4.95. Five articulate marriage equality supporters shredded Brian Brown's arguments, politely but firmly. I really needed the lift. Back to reading now.

• 171. Adults who teach kids to &hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm

[...] back to yesterday’s events on the NOM California tour, when a Vota Tus Valores/NOM associated man assaulted our videographer, or a few days’ before that, when Thomas tried to physically block Anthony from videotaping, or a [...]

• 172. Rhie  |  October 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Gregory —

Oh, I get why you don't want to do anything now. Academic politics are insane. Thanks for explaining more about your story, mostly because I just like to get to know people. No justification needed.

I really wasn't trying to tell you what to do, and I am very sorry it came across that way. I just want to offer support to both of you. You have a family here, and a friend in me. *hugs*

• 173. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  October 5, 2010 at 4:30 pm

You pose a very good question, Gregory. Could be because I was not raised in a strictly Mormon home (my father was not LDS and my mother was mostly inactive); could be because I take the advice to think, ponder, and pray about things literally; could be because I'm one of those dreaded liberals. After all, I'm sure that many would not consider me a devout member since I believe that equal rights for all will not affect my marriage and I don't see anything wrong with kids being taught respect for all relationships. But, I know that I am not the only Mormon who thinks the way I do. So, when one of the GA's starts with the homosexuals were not always that way and can change, I tune him out because I know he is wrong. As SB Mom said, the church doesn't teach that anymore (or didn't under Gordon B.).

I would think that the GA's talks would need to be approved but perhaps just the subject matter and not the exact talk. Seems really strange that Boyd K. would have been given approval for that talk.

I figured you would know that talk. Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.

sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 174. Top Posts — WordPre&hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 5:20 pm

[...] BREAKING: Vota Tus Valores ally assaults NOM Tour Tracker videographer. Where does the bullying sto… By Adam Bink Our videographer, Anthony Ash, was just assaulted by a man associated with the Vota Tus Valores tour. The [...] [...]

• 175. Gay Teenagers: "IT GETS B&hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 5:47 pm

[...] on private property, and pushed him hard in the arm, causing him to break and drop his flip-cam.  In the follow-up blogging, Courage Campaign connected that incident to the bullying leading to recent teen suicides.  A BIT [...]

• 176. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Rhie / Sean thank you for interest and care(hugs back to you Rhie, best wishes Sean in your teaching career!)….I'm going to quote myself, what I just posted elsewhere to reiterate my appreciation:

"Hi bob :) 6:16 am and I’m already crying….tears of gratitude. for supportive words…and to release pressures of life I think, as Arisha so eloquently described. I’m grateful to ALL you P8TT lovely people…I started naming names of those I love and appreciate here but the list was getting amazingly long and I’m fearful of leaving someone out. I am so grateful to have so many persons who care what happens in my life and show support in a myriad of ways. I love and appreciate every one of you! Sorry if sometimes my words might offend, that is not my intention. Sometimes my content, GRAMMAR and ignorance gets in the way but I like to think I’m constantly learning. ((HUGS)) to everyone!"

• 177. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I Love your title…"Mother of a WONDERFUL SON…" I think that many in LDS church are starting to focus on that part, regardless of who/what their children become. I am the the father of a four WONDERFUL children, 2 who happen to not speak of me for my life choices but I love them just the same unconditionally, always there, waiting, loving, ready to embrace.

In regards to your response, other liberals exist in the church, one notable group is SUNSTONE…are you already familiar with them? Here is one sample but they speak on many LDS topics. I was cautioned to avoid them as too liberal but now I find their views refreshing. About church talks, no assigning of topics or censuring is given for conference talks. I do not recall where I heard that, seems life in a general priesthood meeting so I might be inaccurate in this…

I agree in your comments about aGordon B. Hinckley. Seems he was the first modern Prophet to state people ARE "born that way". Here is part 1 of the Sunstone discussion of the pamphlet GBH helped initiate:

• 178. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Yes, we fight back!!!

example from Salt Lake City:

• 179. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  October 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Carolyn Pearson (the other "Mormon Mom") weighs in on the talk….

• 180. 20 hard questions Brian B&hellip  |  October 26, 2010 at 9:46 am

[...] Will you apologize for NOM’s California Tour organizers assaulting a member of our staff in Santa Ana, California, this [...]

• 181. 20 hard questions Brian B&hellip  |  October 26, 2010 at 10:06 am