Day Two on the NOM California tour, Part 1: The tour goes downhill (if that’s even possible)

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-California

Similar to yesterday’s travel-diary format, below are dispatches from the latest NOM tour, including photos from the road. Yesterday the tour’s attendance at its first five stops was 1, 1, 0, 15, and 0 (if you count staff dinner at On The Border a tour stop). Because of the six stops today and to get you the dispatches as soon as they’re available, below is Part 1 from Sacramento, Placerville, and Yuba City. Part 2 will be coming later tonight.

As you’ll see below, this tour is getting more ridiculous by the stop. Read on. -Adam

by Arisha Michelle Hatch

Stop #6: Sacramento

It’s only been one day and already the Vota Tus Valores organizers aren’t big fans of Courage Campaign Institute’s NOM Tour Trackers.  It’s difficult to articulate but the atmosphere was much more tense this morning at the State Capitol building in Sacramento.

Maybe they finally used “The Google” to figure out who we are?

Who knows?  I would love to be a fly on the wall in that bus.

Already progressive supporters are beginning to out-organize the tour.  The count in Sacramento was 9 to 4.

Vota Tus Valores' Sacramento stop

Equality supporters in Sacramento

We tried to interview Karyme Lozano but were denied because the tour was allegedly in a rush to leave. Karyme quickly returned to the bus that then sat parked for an additional 15 minutes as a Canadian reporter was allowed to board and interview Alfonso.

Alfonso, can we come on the bus for an interview?

Stop #7: Placerville

In Placerville, tour organizers didn’t even bother to get off the bus at the Placerville Amtrak station.

The advance team handed out fliers to two people waiting for transit, but by the time the bus arrived nobody was there.

No one at the Placerville stop

Crickets at the Placerville stop

Oh well, onto Yuba City I suppose.

Stop #8: Yuba City

We sat at the Gaucho Aquatic Park for 20 minutes in Yuba City waiting for the Vota Tus Valores bus to arrive before we realized that they weren’t coming.

We spoke to an administrator at the facility who said that she received an email from the group asking to use their parking lot a week or so ago. She informed them that they would have to request a permit from the Parks and Recreation department and never heard back from them.

“Maybe you have old information?” she asked.

“Well, they just updated their website this morning with the aquatic park location as their stop,” I said.

“Why would they do that?”

We’ve got the same question.

Frustrated by the no-show and in search of a gas station we coincidentally ran into the bus at a different location – where they stopped to grab food.

We have no idea where we’re headed. The Colusa stop, which is next on the agenda, was originally scheduled for 2:30, but it’s 2:40 pm now and we haven’t even left Yuba City. The bus chose to spend the next 15 minutes driving around a housing project. Unfortunately no one was outside to see the moving billboard because, as Alfonso “informed” us yesterday, “our people work.”

In light of the complete unreliability of their website, we’re now forced to literally follow the bus to each location (which is ridiculous). That’s us below.

NOM Tour Tracker literally following the NOM bus to see where they are going

• 1. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

scribing and hacking away

• 2. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

scratching my head

• 3. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

Okay, please someone tell me this is a parody made up to amuse us!!! I'm laughing so hard I scared my cat!!!

• 4. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

What a hilarious failure.

• 5. Gregory in SLC  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thank you for following the bus! Looking forward to pt. 2!

• 6. AndrewPDX  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Whee!!!

[youtube

7. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thanks for doing all this! You are our heros!!!!
    Drink plenty of water and stay out of the heat you guys.

• 8. JonT  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

Subscribing.

• 9. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

It just keeps getting BETTER ! Anonygrl, are you sure you didn't write this screenplay????

• 10. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:40 am

Love that pic of the gas-friendly CC folks in line behind that diesel-gobblin' bus of theirs.

• 11. Jeff  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:43 am

I know this is off topic – but is there anyway we can get a suicide prevention post? Unfortunately there have been two 13 year old boys attempt suicide in the last few days because of anti-gay bullying. We need to do something!

Bullied for being gay, 13-year-old hangs himself

• 12. Jeff  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

and heres the other Im aware of:

13-Year Old Gay Texas Boy Driven to Suicide by Bullying

• 13. Skemono  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:45 am

So, their people work… but apparently the NOM crew themselves don't, if that was too much trouble for them.

• 14. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am

None of the people on the tour look too happy.

• 15. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am

Poor kitty! Another victim of NOM! >^..^<

• 16. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:48 am

Is it too early to start calling this one NOMFail California Tour?

• 17. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

Extra lovin' for your Kitty Kathleen.

• 18. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

OMG. As a grandmother to toddlers, I've seen this dvd soooooo many times. Now it's stuck in my head again.

• 19. Dpeck  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

Hi all,

I just posted a report of another non-event at the Alameda BUSted tour stop in the other thread (the NOM NOM NOMING thread).

• 20. Chris in Lathrop  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

Thank you, Arisha and Adam (and anyone else following the bus that I missed!), for your hard work and dedication, and for being able to keep your cool in the face of such vileness and hatred being spewed. I doubt I could stomach it all for even one stop. Keep up the good works! :)

• 21. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

Dpeck — check back on that thread again; new info.

• 22. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

Thanks. She deserves it, too. As I sit here melting with no ac, I look over at my poor companion, wearing her fur coat. :(

• 23. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

So they didn't give you Perrier today?

• 24. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Hey — can you guys get us a photo of Thomas the driver? (Hola, Tomas!)

• 25. Ray in MA  |  September 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

Maybe they're spending the NOM contribution $ before thay get caught 'red handed'.

• 26. Ronnie  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:00 am

FAIL MUCHO!!!!…. ; ) …Ronnie

• 27. Judy  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:02 am

I like the BUSted Tour.

• 28. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

Jeff, have you seen the posts over on the NOM/Louis FB site where those sick people are claiming that the anti-bullying cause is evil and part of the infamous Gay Agenda to take over the schools? Yeah, like if the bullies aren't permitted to push gay kids to suicide, the entire school system will be nothing but homos. This is precisely why I know damned well that, given the option, these excuses for human beings would abort their gay fetuses. Right now they have to wait until the gay kids are old enough for their own demon spawn to identify before they can have them killed off.

• 29. Bob  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

Jeff I here ya, JonT, has been doing a good job of keeping track of these deaths, so far he has eight kids listed,,, I'm thinking this may make NINE interesting the age 13, yup we gotta focus on ending this.

• 30. Dpeck  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

Aw crap. Ok, that's the dumbest thing I've done in a while.

• 31. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

No, no, no, Dpeck! Not so — you are outshown everyone else who has only shown up once. (And I've submitted an official request to Ann to have a merit badge issued to you.)

• 32. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

Ditto. Couldn't be better.

• 33. Sagesse  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

Maybe they'll play this at one of their stops :).

• 34. Richard W. Fitch  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

Not a lot of additional input for me to offer – just wish there were a "like" button to show my appreciation for the many wondeful comments. But I will say Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! to Arisha and all the CC staff.

• 35. Jeff  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

Is there a place online he's keeping track? Id be interested in seeing that – it could be useful in drawing attention to the problem

• 36. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

I really DIDN'T! And I don't think I could MAKE it any funnier than it actually IS!

They had to follow the bus around to find out where it was going!!! I LOVE IT!

• 37. Jeff  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

I have not read it there but I have heard it before – I cant handle reading their sites. Its too disturbing.

If your reading this and need help please call the Trevor Project – its confidential, free, and they will listen without judgement: 1-866-488-7386

online chat: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

• 38. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

El Autobus del Fracaso… Spanish for FAILbus

• 39. rf  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

I agree with Kate. Your effort was AWESOME!!!

• 40. Mandy  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

Love the rainbow flag in the second picture.

Seriously this is cracking me up. I know it shouldn't because it is hate on wheels but it is more like the little bus that couldn't. Hopefully it is a sign that the haters are losing steam and cannot sustain this kind of hate but I doubt it.

Thank you for all your hard work and trying to keep a straight face

• 41. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:18 am

Special merit badge for our trusty team member DPeck!!

• 42. Bob  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

Jeff, I'm hoping he reads your post, calling JonT to the rescue,,

what I would suggest is looking through the threads, when you see a post by him just click on his name, and you will see his list, maybe we could make it a formal thing, I know most kids get their own weg page etc. but we need a place to pull all this together so we can look at it and show it to others.

• 43. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

El Autobus del Fracaso X2

• 44. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

Dpeck — Ann has issued your merit badges, and you may retrieve them on the other thread. Congratulations!

• 45. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

I wonder what they are smoking on the Tour Bus…it has to be something psychedelic for them to think the first tour was enough of a success…to think of doing this one.

Perhaps they are so used to embarrassment, they are Numb/NOM to it.

• 46. rf  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:32 am

there has got to be some other motive for this. a promise to Fiorina maybe? an effort to show they're not racist? they're not even getting local church leaders to show up. I'm really thinking they were planning to pretend to do a cross-state voter values tour, just for show, while they drove that bus straight to Vegas for a week of debauchery. except the courage campaign decided to tail them.

• 47. Rev. Will Fisher  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

NOM is the Spinal Tap of the right wing fringe. They're playing to a more selective audience. We've canceled the shows in Boston and Chapel Hill but don't worry those aren't big college towns.

• 48. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

Arisha et al, be sure to let us know if you follow that bus all the way to Vegas.

• 49. Ken Pierce  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

NOTE: One of the woman in the first photo standing with signs outside the bus cam up to me with my Love/Equality Sign and said while she was supporting Carly for her fisical polices but very much for us in social issues – she told me this will be a difficult November election for those of us who are split on such issues.

• 50. draNgNon  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:37 am

maybe the TourTrackers should.

• 51. Dpeck  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

: )

OK you guys, I'm going for it – I'll come up with some lame excuse for ducking out of the office early again tomorow and head back over there.

On the bright side, this little blunder now gives me time to charge up the batteries in my camera….

• 52. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

LOL.

• 53. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

It is definitely hard for the people wanting fiscal restraint and progressive social policies.

If she thinks she's actually going to get fiscal restraint from Carly, though, I expect her to be mistaken in that.

• 54. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

I love you, Dpeck!

• 55. ElsieH  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

The idiots were also encouraging their members to report a FB started by some high schools kids to form a Gay-Straight Alliance at their school Its disgusting in light of these incidents of bullying and suicide. In a turn about I reported the NOM page as a hate speech page.

• 56. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

I sure hope We have a good turnout tomorrow in Fairfield; otherwise, Jelly Belly may actually believe the lie they were told about it not being a tour stop. Like it says on their web site it is.

• 57. Ronnie  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:01 am

I remember seeing that….several of their other anti-gay pages that were started by their admins & regular posting members posted the same thing….The preach protecting children …while publicly attacking LGBT & Straight Ally teens……..just more of their hateful & hurtful bullshite where they say "protect the children" but what they really mean is protect the heterosexual anti-gay (most often Christian) only children while promoting, condoning, & advocating, harassment, discrimination, bullying, & both physical & mental harm to openly LGBT children…..

There is NOTHING good about NOM, etc etc etc…NOTHING!!!!!!!…… >I …..Ronnie

• 58. Alan E  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:02 am

Subscribing

• 59. Phil L  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:06 am

With their "On the Border" stop it doesn't even sound like a bus tour but more like… dinner.

It's a NOM "let's go eat because we have nothing better to do" tour.

• 60. Alan E  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am

Really, they really wanted to take a vacation to tour the state, but they didn't want to have to pay for it. They came up with these plans to do it on their supporters dime!

• 61. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am

My guess is they have their golf bags in the bus and are looking forward to Palm Springs.

• 62. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hey Arisha, et al — is there a tow bar on the back of that bus? You guys could hook the car to it and get yourselves some zzzzzs while Thomas is driving around aimlessly. Or NOMlessly.

• 63. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

My question is this… if THEY don't even show up for their tour stop (as they obviously didn't at least twice today) do we count that as negative 12 (they have 12 with them, right?) in the tally column?

• 64. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

I think that would be seriously dangerous… judging by their organizing ability, I am not convinced any brought a map. They may end up driving straight into the ocean before this whole things is over!
    (Losing Arisha et als would be a Tragedy!!)

• 65. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

Was beginning to think I had my days wrong. Glad I didn't miss the Concord event (and might just show up at the Alameda event, why not). Hmm, wonder if they got a permit for the Concord event.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 66. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:36 am

I'll bet they skip jelly belly now. Too bad; I'd love to read the cc report of that one.

• 67. AndrewPDX  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

Yeah, I agree with Felyx, its not a good idea… Who would want to hitch their [station]wagon to NOM? eww

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 68. Jonathan H  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:44 am

sub

• 69. BubbaN  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:52 am

Could this be a decoy bus with the REAL NOM bus tour attracting record crowds somewhere else?

• 70. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

Dpeck, there may be another merit badge in it for you if you go tomorrow also.

Sheryl, the odds are good that they didn't get a permit, I think. Look at their record in that department on this tour.

• 71. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

• 72. Lora  |  September 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love that last picture!!

• 73. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

LOL!

• 74. Lora  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yes, thank you to Arisha and Adam and others for undertaking yet, another "tour".

It was nice to meet you today, Arisha…finally, after reading and watching your videos.

The pictures of today's "tour stops" are priceless. Thanks for the entertainment! I'll be watching for the rest of the "tour". :)

• 75. Lora  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for your support Ken…and your business card.
    It was nice to see people from Equailty California, Courage Campaign and Nom Tour Tracker, along with a few of us others that showed up.

I could only shake my head and chuckle at this joke of a tour. Are they serious?? The people that were trying to use the sidewalk that they were blocking were pretty much just ignoring them and giving looks of "WTF"? Too funny!

• 76. Tomato  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I just want to say again (and again, and again!) how much I appreciate everyone on P8TT and everyone with CC.

God bless every single one of you!

(If "god" doesn't work for you, substitute your favored metaphor… it's all good!)

• 77. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Priceless Lora! I wish I could have been there too!

• 78. Bill J.  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Forgive a naive question, but why did they spend all this money on ad-wrapping a bus, driving it around, and so on? Is it possible that it really has nothing to do with enchanting voters, but just to try to get pretty pictures of the bus in various locations? Maybe they are planning to photoshop in some crowds later…. But then why wouldn't they just buy some postcards and photoshop the bus and the crowd. Hmmm…

• 79. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I like DOG bless. :)

• 80. bonobo  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

There was no Malice in Maggody today

1500 hrs. = Mom and I arrive at Central Park, Willows. We used their map to get there. There are 7 people at the park at this time. 5 kids and 2 moms.
    1502 hrs. = We're alone in the park. We're sitting alone at one of the four benches under shade. It's a nice park and I wish I'd brought my frisbee along as there is a nine hole frisbee golf course put in by the Rotary Club. We've had 2 police officers drive by while we sit here and we wonder if they are aware of the bus tour, or if by chance we're anywhere near the police department and it's close to shift change.
    1511 hrs. = PD drives by again and parks for about a minute on the corner. There is a guy laying under a tree with his bike parked next to him in the park. He stays about 5 minutes and moves along. I don't blame him, it's really hot today. When he moves along, we are again alone.

1528 hrs. = Cars start arriving and we get hopeful that are solitude is over, but alas no such luck. All the drivers and passengers get out and go over to the building next door. Glenn County Office of Education. They talk of hope that it will be another short meeting like yesterdays. (abandon hope, all ye who enter here, for at 5 o'clock you will still be in your meeting.) It should be noted that all the shady parking is now taken up.
    1535 hrs. = a truck shows up and parks away from everyone else. Is this, by chance, the advance team? Again, no such luck. It was a woman just using her cellphone. She hung up and drove. Back to solitude. Mom has almost finished the shawl she started, and I'm getting into my book. Except for the picture taking I've been doing. Still the only one's in the park are me, Mom and a dragonfly that won't stand still for my point & shoot camera. I've named him Dumbledore.
    1550 hrs. = 3 kids show up to play and use the restrooms and the water fountain. They are gone in 5 minutes.
    1600 hrs. = The bus is 15 minutes late, and as I said, it's hot here. Mom's out of water. We leave to take advantage of Walmart's airconditioning and then return to the park. Just in case.
    1630 hrs. = I can't get Mom to stop laughing. We have returned to the park. Still empty. I've checked out the area and find no sign of flyers, oilmarks that weren't there before, no flattened grass. Face it. In my day we called this:
    NO SHOW/NO CALL. YOU'RE FIRED!!!!

We can't help thinking that if we actually were there for the rally/whatever we would both be pissed! Sitting in the hot sun, waiting for a bus that didn't show? Possibly taking off work so that we could show our support. We know that they are trying to sell us a way of life, but it looks more like we've been sold a bill of goods.
    I'm from the Bay Area. Grew up in Palo Alto (College Terrace to be exact.) I am well familar with HP and it's history. I remember what Carly did to HP and why she did it. And now it looks like she is doing the same thing to California. How she will get elected with this tour making her look this bad, I don't know. As a P8TT member all I can say is: I think we can breathe easier now.
    Bo (& Mom)

• 81. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I made this suggestion once so I will make it again…

If ustedes necesita crowd muy grande try La Multitud Inflable at el webite… inflatablecrowd.com /Main /Home.html

Also there be muy el cheapo Multitud en Caja at… crowdinabox.com.

The inflatable crowd company does better work at making more realistic crowds but the crowd in a box is far less expensive. I would also recommend that the (possibly soon to be) patented Louis Marinelli Wide Crowd Shot TM be used so that the photo is not close enough to reveal that the crowd is a bunch of fake dummies. (Not to be confused with the Coalition of NOM Disingenuous Idiots (mercifully) Limited)

(For those of you who are interested in my astounding abilities to learn to speak NOM Spanish, also known as Spamish, I will refer you to this talented individual. Please note that his brief Spamgibberinglish commentary is seriously FAR MORE ACCURATE than any of the assertions that NOM has put forward!)

• 82. Gregory in SLC  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for detailed report and making the effort to SHOW UP bonobo :) You made the no-show interesting!

• 83. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for the lovely images of a peaceful day in the park. It is hysterical that they are not showing up for their own stops.

I mean, the NOM summer tour was bad when they couldn't get anyone ELSE to show up… but how sad is this when the TOUR doesn't even show up?

• 84. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I can't stop laughing! Bo & Mom, you've made a total non-event absolutely hysterical. Thank you for a delightful and oh-so-accurate post. I'm sure glad I didn't drive all the way down there for this no-show, although I absolutely know that I would have loved the two of YOU.

• 85. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for the report, Bo & Mom!

You are both hereby awarded badges for Promptness, Resourcefulness and Attention to Detail.

Wear them with Pride!

• 86. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I think we should all get some fake email addresses and flood them with mail asking why they didn't show up in various locations.

"I waited two hours in the hot sun for you. You didn't come. I am gonna vote for Jerry Brown now!"

• 87. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

And I think Mom should receive the Crocheting Under No Pressure badge.

• 88. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Good point, Kate.

Bo's Mom is hereby awarded the Crocheting under No Pressure badge to wear with Pride!

• 89. JonT  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:31 pm

@Jeff: Yes, but it's depressing. :( Just click my name, which is currently pointing to entry #3. Toward the bottom, you'll see the others. WARNING: It's depressing.

@Bob: I know most kids get their own weg page etc. but we need a place to pull all this together so we can look at it and show it to others.

I think I will start putting these all into their own blog, dedicated for the purpose.

• 90. bonobo  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Hey, if anyone wants pictures of an empty park, I've got lots of them.
    Footnote: I've done a lot of geocaching in the Willows area, so when we left, we checked on the parks and areas, just incase the bus didn't know one park from another… No go. No bus. end of story.

• 91. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Maybe the whole point of the "tour" is to see how they can make the "trackers" jump. Make fake stops and sit back and laugh at us trying to figure out where they are!

Of course it would be a ridiculous waste of money to have that as their purpose, but they after all aren't rocket scientists!!

• 92. bonobo  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

with a CC to Fiorina, of course.

It's what Mom and I were thinking. It's a great idea anonygrl, let's go for it.

• 93. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm

OK… how about this… their number is 949-296-7515.

Try calling and asking if they are going to be in Fairfield tomorrow. I tried, I just got a fast busy signal… how interesting is that?

• 94. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Would somebody in CA try it and let me know what happens?

• 95. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I was reading the NOM exposed site. In all seriousness, I am thinking this is a scam NPO that is really mostly a paycheck for Maggie and Brian (who just got a raise and now reportedly makes $130,000.)

I have seen many other scam organizations similar to this… only none so willing to be so attention seeking. These kinds of scams really do rake in the bucks and it looks as though Maggie et als has attracted the financial attention of wealthy religious bigots.

So in order to justify the large paycheck (and barely meet IRS and state requirements) there needs to be a showing of activity. Driving an expensive bus counts. Even if it does not produce results. It is perfectly legal to use funds to drive a massive ad-wrapped bus around all day and buy expensive dinners for the well-paid staff.

I am however interested in the constant flouting of financial regulations. Usually scam NPO's go out of their way to NOT attract the attention of investigation commitees. Perhaps NOM wants to hide the fact of who is NOT getting the money (i.e. homeless, widows, needy etc.) for as long as possible. If they are really just scamming then they only really risk losing the NPO. It is unlikely they will get jail time or even hefty fines.

Truly this is very disturbing and quite sad… it really doesn't bode well for the KoC either… they really do have to be accountable to their donors.

Felyx

• 96. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Isn't that the sound when a line is disconnected???

• 97. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I think so… but I was wondering if it was just me?

• 98. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Bo, would you be willing to try that number? I'm in CA….. but I don't do telephones.

• 99. Carpool Cookie  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

"Day 2: The tour goes downhill (if that’s even possible)"

OMG….I just had to respond to the title right away!

Bwaaaa!

Those poor, crazy kids. I wonder if they'll forget to put their parking break on tomorrow, and their bus will roll into the bay or something. Then they'll just be wandering around as a dazed pack, with leaflets.

• 100. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Reverse look up:
    Records Found! Search results for (949) 296-9675.
    Location Type Carrier
    IRVINE, CA Landline ALLEGIANCE TELECOM, INC.

Not sure that helps

• 101. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I'll try it!

• 102. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

How many more days are they going to pretend to be doing this tour gig?

• 103. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm

"WE're sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed…." No good.

• 104. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Wouldn't it be hysterical if they gave up after the second day?

• 105. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I seriously think that there is actually no point to the tour other than being a cover for financial scamming…

Very sad at how many very truly deserving people are being denied help in order to fund Maggie's very obese ego. At least Brian is feeding his family… I hope.

Very sad, Felyx

• 106. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Will catch up later.

• 107. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Just called… complete busy signal. Makes me wonder, perhaps NOM knows it is about to implode and so they are not interested in manning the phone… Hmmm… out of service maybe?

• 108. bonobo  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Allegiance? I remember them. If I remember correctly, it will be a miracle if they answer their phone. Ever. Especially after hours.
    Personally, I think Felyx is right. I've been thinking around those lines for awhile now, and been looking for a valid scam. I'll check out NOMexposed and see what ideas I come up with.

• 109. anonygrl  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I would be willing to believe that it is, Felyx.

NOM has to do something other than just spend money on campaign commercials to keep their non-profit status. This may be that something.

• 110. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I'm thinking that's going to happen. But I also guess they'll show for their two weekend "rallies."

• 111. Carpool Cookie  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

And I think it's so funny they're blowing off their own scheduled stops now. Jebus. They need help.

• 112. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

"I told them a hundred times: NOM Tour first then puppet show."

• 113. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Is there official word on whether Jelly Belly is endorsing this stop or allowing them to use their facility? Because if so, I'm not buying them anymore and I'll send them an email telling them why. I've already caused havoc at Target by not shopping there anymore, apparently.

• 114. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm

If you ad-wrap a vehicle you get to write off almost all your vehicle expense, though I'm not sure how that translates if you've got political speech included. And isn't it not quite cricket for non-profits to be using funds for political speech? Aren't they supposed to avoid endorsements of any kind?

• 115. James in Hollywood  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

If they did ever own up to failure, they'd probably lay the blame at our feet somehow. Schadenfreude compels me to wish they continue. And I'm bracing myself for someone on their team to utter something breathtakingly racist.

• 116. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I think it depends of the type of NPO. NOM is not structured as a PAC which I believe would severely limit the about of salary paid to the leaders.

I am absolutely sick to think that Maggie and NOM are playing a game of 'How long can we get away with scamming the donors'. I wonder if the real reason Maggie stepped down is because she was getting paid way too much between her two organizations and is trying to avoid an audit or investigation.

Keep digging ExposeNOM.com… the sooner you find the filth the sooner it will be cleaned up!

• 117. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I don't want them to quit, either. This is just WAY too much fun. Are our intrepid cc reporters having to sleep in the little red gaymobile so they can keep the bus in sight tonight?

• 118. Felyx  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

You know, they get to keep the bus… after so long it can be written off as a used asset and sold cheap only to be resold by the 'lucky buyer' for a far higher price.

• 119. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Didn't you catch that random comment yesterday? According to the commenter, Palm Springs is a hotbed of rich gay guys (which also, btw, apparently proves that all gay people are wealthy).

• 120. Jonathan H  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I'd hate to lose a chance to make a rude gesture at them in person…

• 121. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for that thorough (and hilarious!) report.

• 122. Tomato  |  September 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm

This whole thing just gives me a warm giggly feeling.

Frauds!

Exposed!

• 123. Kathleen  |  September 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I'm in Cali, tried it, got the same thing.

• 124. elliom  |  September 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

El quero NOM failure.

(It'd be cuter if I was a chihuauha)

• 125. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Aw, feel better. I get colds and coughs and infections all the time. I've tried everything out there and then some so if you want me to let you in on my cold beating remedies let me know :)

• 126. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

ugh yea. My cat is part Persian and a big fluff ball. he was dying the few hot days we had here.

• 127. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I wonder if the NOM went off script to avoid the Tour Trackers lol.

• 128. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I know right? Just pick up the phone and call.

• 129. elliom  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Rhie:

I think NOM went off script a long time ago.

Glad you're feeing better!

• 130. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Oh I have to laugh at this stutff. Otherwise all of my things would end up with dents from where I hit my head against it lol.

• 131. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm

So they'll count them and multiply by 20 to get their data for the tour? :)

• 132. Rhie  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm

No, they weren't even aware of NOMs plan to stop there until the e-mails and have said categorically they don't allow protests on their property. When Jelly Belly called NOM, they were told that NOM just wanted to go on the free tour and it wasn't related at all. Yea.

• 133. Alyson  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I was so bummed I couldn't get to the yuba city stop to meet arisha and the team. If NOM can't get a crowd there they really aren't trying. That place went 73% or so yes on 8.

My twin 3 year old girls go to an inclusive preschool in Chico and it was my daughters day to bring in her pet chicken!

I tried to get some of my peeps over there but – shock and awe – they work too. If it were anything but my kids though I would have taken the day off just to go meet the cc team and give them hugs, thanks, and cookies.

• 134. CaliGirl  |  September 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

LOL. I love this. NOM Tour Fail was the highlight of my summer. Please don't end soon, NOM Tour Fail part 2!

That last pic made me laugh out loud. Talk about David and Goliath…

• 135. Box Turtle Bulletin &raqu&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm

[...] state’s capital didn’t exactly swarm out to greet NOM. (Courage Campaign) Already progressive supporters are beginning to out-organize the tour. The count in Sacramento was [...]

• 136. Ann S.  |  September 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thank you. Right now I'm going with antibiotics, codeine, and predenisone, a trio that has worked for me for these symptoms before.

• 137. Day Two on the NOM Califo&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 8:03 pm

[...] Part 1 detailing today’s earlier tour “stops”, if they can be called that, can be found here. [...]

• 138. Elizabeth Oakes  |  September 29, 2010 at 7:40 am