They’re baaaaaack: NOM launches new bus tour across California today — and the NOM Tour Tracker will cover it

NOM Exposed NOM Tour Tracker-California Right-wing

“We’re puttin’ the band back together.” — Elwood Blues, Blues Brothers

So I got a phone call last week from Eden telling me about this new National Organization for Marriage-backed “Vota Tus Valores” tour across California in support of Carly Fiorina’s campaign for U.S. Senate, aiming to glorify Fiorina’s opposition to the freedom to marry, among other right-wing positions. The tour is sponsored by NOM, the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, American Principles in Action and the anti-choice Susan B. Anthony List, and it kicks off today for a 10-day tour across California.

Eden said Courage was again planning to cover NOM at every stop, exposing the same hate we saw on their “Summer for Marriage” tour. For those who are new to P8TT, I had the pleasure of managing the blog during that tour coverage — which we called “NOM Tour Tracker” — and he asked if I’d be up for a second tour of duty.

The first time around when I signed on, I wrote that I did it because of what an amazing community this has become. Let me take a second to tell you why I’m doing it this time:

• The LGBT and allied movement needs spokespeople — LGBT and straight spokespeople. Just as having “out” LGBT elected officials advocating for us publicly, just as having PFLAG members out there in the community helps build straight allies, we need supporters of marriage equality at the highest levels — including the U.S. Senate.
  • Building support in the Latino/a community. We still face challenges in the Latino/a community on marriage equality. This tour matters because the LGBT and allied movement cannot ignore the fastest-growing racial demographic in the country. Nearly 50 million people self-identify as Hispanic or Latino/a, the largest ethnic minority in the United States, and a demographic the U.S. Census estimates to be 30% of the population by 2050. Will they grow up in a world of NOM-fueled religious opposition to equality? Or will they grow up where their parents and teachers tell them love means respect and commitment between two people? What we do on this tour will help determine what the next generation of the Latino/a community will look like on this issue.
  • NOM was embarrassed on their “Summer for Marriage” bus tour and we’re guessing this tour will be embarrassing as well. With your help, Courage’s Prop 8 Trial Tracker and allied organizations demonstrated that NOM was all bluff, outnumbering them by nearly a 3-1 margin on the “Summer for Marriage” bus tour, and demonstrating that their base is composed of radical fringe activists. We were able to push that message out into traditional and new media. This is another opportunity to strike a blow at the heart of organized anti-marriage equality opposition.

So, being the movie and music buff that I am, I could not help but turn to the 1980 cult classic Blues Brothers line: “We’re puttin’ the band back together.” As I write this, Arisha, Phyllis and Anthony are on the ground at NOM’s first tour stop in Bakersfield, and I’m setting up shop here at the blog. Eden and the rest of the team at the (virtual) Courage Batcave are firing on all cylinders and we’re ready to bring you another cuppa NOM #FAIL.

Will we see our old friends Brian Brown, Maggie Gallagher, and Louis (hi, Louis!)? Will they hold more rallies in empty parking lots? Will the fringey fringe from places like Indianapolis and Harrisburg show up?

We’re not sure, but we’re sure fixin’ to find out. We do know their rhetoric will be the same, and we’re ready to make sure they don’t get away with it.

Fasten your seatbelts!

• 1. jbf  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:18 am

We need to get our supporters out to vote, unfortunately the trend is showing for conservatives to be out in force at the midterms. The numbers of equality supporters should be enough to affect the vote, but everything is shaping up to show poor turnouts for equality!

• 2. Ronnie  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:19 am

Hi Louis "Humpty Dumpty" Marinelli?…… ; ) …Ronnie

• 3. Alan E.  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:28 am

When I was reading the NOM AC brief, it sounded an awful like Brian was writing it. I wonder who wrote the Spanish for this tour, then.

• 4. Ann S.  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:29 am

Hooray for the band getting back together!

• 5. Richard W. Fitch  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:30 am

Yeah, the fringey fringe that showed up in Indianapolis was pretty disgusting. I was there to see it with my own eyes. But be assured this extreme is a minority even in the conservative MidWest. btw- have any of you read the flap about the baker in the Indy City Market that refused to serve the LGBT group from the IUPUI campus? Another fringey fringe fundie!!!! –yuck!!!–

• 6. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:30 am

Adam, please FB me through the P8tt or Feed Equality site — I am listed there as Chaco Bauer.

• 7. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:33 am

SUBscribing

• 8. Carpool Cookie  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:34 am

Keep on rockin', NOM! Don't give up….you'll get a following yet!

(For some perverse reason, I love seeing NOM, the Westboro Baptist Church etc. out and about. It makes your everyday person who sees them go, "Whuuuuuut ? ? ?")

• 9. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:34 am

There BACK!

• 10. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:36 am

I hope that in the light of Prop 8 and its unconstitutionality ruling more good folks will be attending pro-equality rallies in California to show that their votes against Prop 8 in 2008 also count, or to show how sorry they are for voting for Prop 8 under the pressure of repugnant and absolutely deceitful advertisement and now they've changed their minds!

– ♂KF

• 11. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:39 am

some day I'll learn to spell and properly embed video! Worth a watch though…weirdly on-topic

• 12. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:40 am

Or e-mail me at my throwaway address: backups96064@yahoo.com, and I'll respond from my real one.

• 13. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:41 am

I wonder if they thought that by having the bulk of these tours on weekdays they would have gotten more of the 'retired' conservatives. They seemed to have completely lost momentum in gaining members, not only at rallies, but believers in their cause.

It's actually heartwarming to know we are gaining ally's from all walks of life.

• 14. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:43 am

ASAP — it relates to a specific about this tour coverage that needs to be documented.

• 15. Don in Texas  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:46 am

Is there a schedule of cities the NOM tour wagon will hit?

• 16. GraciesDaddy  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:52 am

So… they're doing this again??

In some circles, "Old behavior expecting different results" is a definition of INSANITY.

Nevertheless… is there a list of tour stops available?

• 17. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:53 am

It's at tusvalores.com.

• 18. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:56 am

They've made some changes. Here is their current schedule. Google maps to locations are at votabus.com.

Bus TourPhoto: Vota Bus on the job!
    I had a moment to snap this photo as we were loading the bus this morning for our first day on the job/on the road!

Photo: Loading the Vota Bus!
    As you can see, we're preparing the Vota Bus and are eager to begin the tour! Here is an updated list of stop locations and times!

Bus Tour Route
    HERE IS THE OFFICIAL ROUTE + DATES OF OUR BUS TOUR. FOR PHOTOS OF THE "VOTA BUS", CLICK HERE!

Please mark your calendars and help us spread the word! We will be refreshing this page constantly with more information as we have it available, including celebrity speakers who will be appearing at individual stops.

NOTICE: Be sure to check this page the day before the event to double-check final details. Thank you!

Monday, September 27 (counties in parentheses):

3:15 PM – Paso Robles (San Luis Obispo) – Paso Robles City Park [GoogleMaps]
    5:00 PM – Santa Maria (San Luis Obispo) – Preiskar Park [GoogleMaps]

Saturday, October 2:

8:00 AM – Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara) – Mission Historical Park [GoogleMaps]
    9:30 AM – Camarillo (Ventura) – Nueva Vida [GoogleMaps]
    2:30 PM – Dana Point (Orange) – Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel [GoogleMaps]
    4:30 PM – Huntington Beach (Orange) – Huntington Beach Parking Area [GoogleMaps]

Sunday, October 3 – Rest Day!

Monday, October 4:

10:00 AM – Santa Ana (Orange) – [GoogleMaps]
    11:45 AM – Oceanside (San Diego) – Capistrano Park [GoogleMaps]
    1:00 PM – Escondido (San Diego) – TBA
    7:00 PM – RALLY – San Diego (San Diego) – Comunidad Christiana NAM [Google Maps]

Tuesday, October 5:

11:45 AM – El Centro (Imperial) – TBA
    2:45 PM – Palm Springs (Riverside) – TBA
    4:30 PM – San Bernardino (San Bernardino) – TBA
    6:00 PM – RALLY – East LA (Los Angeles) – TBA

Wednesday, October 6:

10:00 AM – Riverside (Riverside) – TBA
    12:00 PM – Los Angeles (Los Angeles) – TBA

42 TOTAL STOPS, IN *33* COUNTIES, 2,500+ MILES!

• 19. adambink  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:01 am

Yes, and it's here:

• 20. Anonygrl  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:03 am

Thank you twice again, intrepid Tour Trackers for taking on this ticklish task!

Give 'em whatfor!

• 21. BK  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:04 am

Yay! Now we can all laugh at them again! You've got to hand it to 'em–they're great comedians. :)

• 22. BK  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:05 am

"And I thought I had problems…"

• 23. JusB23  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:08 am

…so, are they stopping for 10 minute bathroom break in each city and calling it a tour because they have a bus?

• 24. Anonygrl  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:10 am

Pretty much. It averages to about 300 miles a day, and that is, if it were all on highways, a minimum of about 6 hours a day. So the bus rolls past the venue, speakers waving wildly out the windows, and keeps moving.

Should be a heck of a tour.

• 25. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:12 am

Looking at their schedule makes me wonder how long they intend to "rally" at each of these locations. Or if there are to separate groups traveling independently, like the red and blue versions of the Ringling Brothers Circus.

They are supposed to be in Riverside at 10 on the last day and then in LA at noon. But depending on traffic that could easily take almost the whole 2 hours!

• 26. Santa Barbara Mom  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:17 am

Rats………that's the day of Santa Barbara's 20th Anniversary AIDS Walk, which my husband and I will be participating in setting up and then walking. Need to be there first thing in the morning :( There will hopefully be a lot of pro equality people in town, but they will be at the walk in the morning. Hmmmm……….

• 27. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:17 am

Perhaps they are splitting up in sub-groups.

• 28. Ann S.  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:17 am

Amazing. Look at, for instance, the 29th, 6 stops ranging from Fairfield to San Jose. With traffic, they're barely going to make those stops at all.

• 29. yayponies  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:19 am

This is the part where I feel helpless in my whiteness. What can I do as a non-Latina, non-Spanish speaking person to help counteract and fight this bullshit? Ugh. The photo on the banner of the field workers with the text "immagacion" overlaid makes me want to hurl things against a wall.

• 30. Michelle Evans  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:21 am

They are only scheduled to hold two official rallies, as I recall. San Diego and East LA. They are probably wanting to avoid any actual confrontation as they simply roll around on the freeways.

I'm hoping to get to the Dana Point stop on Oct 2. Anyone else from our community that will be there that day?

Also, that Dana Point stop is pretty bizarre in that they will be coming south from Camarillo, which is about 100 miles from Dana Point. Then, after finishing in DP, they go about an hour backtracking up to Huntington Beach to finish the day. They literally will be driving right by HB on their way to DP, and then have to go all the way back.

• 31. yayponies  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:22 am

9:30 AM – Fairfield (Solano) – Jelly Belly Gift Shop

Ummmmm, what? Is Jelly Belly aware of this?

• 32. AndrewPDX  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:22 am

Yay! Just what my email box needed, some more comedy!

I wonder if it's the same bus, with different stock photos this time. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that maybe the Spanish text on the bus might not be grammatically correct — is that true?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 33. yayponies  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:23 am

The East LA rally is scheduled for my birthday. Maybe that's what I will ask all my friends to do with me that night. :

• 34. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:26 am

I'm the one who mentioned that, Andrew. And I sure would love it if someone fluent in Spanish would step up here so I can ask a question……..

• 35. Suzanne (not for muc  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:27 am

The location for the rally in San Diego is at:

3065 Beyer Blvd # B102
    San Diego, CA 92154-3499

It is near the Tijuana border. Interesting that NOM is targeting a very low income, vulnerable population to garner support.

• 36. Dave in ME  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:28 am

Tell me more about my home state!

Dave in Maine

• 37. Ronnie  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:30 am

Here is the new PSA from Victory Fund…..<3…Ronnie:

• 38. Ronnie  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:35 am

hahahahahahahah….I can barely type & post this because I can't stop laughing……<3…Ronnie:

• 39. yayponies  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:36 am

I think people should submit a question to Jelly Belly and ask them if they are aware their store name is being used to promote this rally in Fairfield:

• 40. Sagesse  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:39 am

Bizarre. Can't wait to see how this tour unfolds. Are they officially affiliated with the Fiorina campaign, or just touring in their own name on her 'behalf'. I see the potential for Fiorina to be embarrassed by the NOM's shenanigans, such as targeting Latino voters with illiterate Spanish.

• 41. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:41 am

Gay Days at Disneyland California This weekend too….

• 42. Jonathan H  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:42 am

"We're sorry, we don't have time to answer questions or speak to the press, we have a schedule to keep! Please visit our website, where we answer all questions we're willing to address and have total control over what anyone says."

Sounds right to me, at least.

• 43. Todd  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:44 am

I work near San Mateo… should be able to get off a bit early Wednesday and head there. Hmm I want a good sign…

Love,
    Todd

• 44. bJason  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

I just got an e-mail solicitation from Joe Biden. Here is my response:

"Thanks for the note, sir.

I gave a great deal of support to your party at the last go round (and many times before that). Money, time, votes. I did this because I was promised certain things. You can probably imagine to what I am referring: ENDA, UAFA, repeal of DOMA and DADT. This cycle, my time and money are going to the organizations that are making these things happen for me and millions of others in the courts.

You guys are out of luck as far as I'm concerned. I am not afraid of Republicans. I KNOW where I stand with them. No more hollow words from supposed friends. I have worked for you before, with promises, at your urging. It is time for you to work for me. Get back to me when that has happened.

Jason"

• 45. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

In fact …… I have TWO translation/grammar questions about 2 things expensively-painted on their bus! Who is NOM's translator if even I can spot these egregious errors????

• 46. Jeff T  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:56 am

I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker, but I did take several years of Spanish in school. ;-) What are the questions?

• 47. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:58 am

Jeff — please e-mail me at my throwaway address, backups96064@yahoo.com, and I'll respond from my real e-mail. No point in alerting NOM so they can have their bus re-painted….

• 48. JonT  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:02 am

ʂմҌʂϲɾìҌìղց

• 49. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:10 am

Done and done. I'll let you know if I hear back. It'll be good if I do; 9/29 is my gay Dad's birthday.

Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Hi-
    I have enjoyed your Jelly Bellies for years, and have twice visited your Fairfield location for a tour and some gift shopping. That's why I was so distressed to see that on September 29 you have apparently given approval for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) to use your gift shop for a rally in their "Vota tus Valores" tour. This tour is aimed at rallying support within the Latino/a community for Carly Fiorina in her bid for the US Senate. Specifically, NOM supports Ms Fiorina's opposition to marriage equality for all Californians, based on her stated support for Proposition 8, which restricted the freedom to marry to heterosexuals only and has recently been declared unconstitutional.

NOM has a propensity to misstate the facts about same-sex marriage (SSM), use fear tactics to exacerbate animus towards homosexuals, and simply make stuff up. I am bothered that you would lend your corporate name and facility to such an organization, and I wonder if you are willing to reconsider. Or does Jelly Belly also support NOM's and Ms Fiorina's agenda of denying equal protection to the state's homosexual population? If so, I will have to rethink my enjoyment of your products.

Thank you for your time in responding to my questions.
    Sincerely,
    Chris Borum

• 50. Ann S.  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:15 am

Nice! I'll be interested to hear what they reply. I agree that it is troubling if Jelly Belly is aligned with NOM. It is their right of course, and my right not to eat any of their jelly beans if they do.

• 51. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:15 am

Chris, did you send this via their website or directly to an e-mail? I'd like to send something similar.

• 52. Straight Ally #3008  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:18 am

Get onto the bus…that's gonna take you back to Beelzebub!

• 53. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:20 am

I sent it through their site at the link provided above. It asks for your email and phone, and city/st/zip (not street, thgouh), but you don't have to register or anything. If you like any part of what I wrote, feel free to copy. Good luck.

I will really be disappointed if I have to stop eating JBs. It's my kids' standard father's day gift, which, so far, has been fine by me!

• 54. Straight Ally #3008  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:21 am

+1000

Best use of an inadvertent cell phone going off ever.

"It's not the policy…it's not the policy *BLINNNG!*"

• 55. nightshayde  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:26 am

I just sent this message to them:

The National Organization for Marriage says they're holding a Bus Tour Stop at the Jelly Belly Gift Shop in Fairfield at 9:30am on Wednesday 9/29. Their organization is supporting Carly Fiorina's Senate campaign, and is marketing their agenda of endorsing discrimination against GLBT Californians to the Latino/a population in your area.

Are you aware that they will be using your venue to promote their anti-equality agenda? If you are aware of this, do you support the so-called "values" NOM is endorsing?

If you support civil rights for all your customers, please ask NOM to move their stop to another location.

My family and I are very fond of your products, but we will have to consider funneling our confection-related money to other companies if you do, in fact, support the anti-family, anti-equality, pro-discrimination message NOM is working so hard to promote.

nightshayde (though with my real name, of course)

• 56. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:27 am

OK, here's mine. Not nearly as good as the one Chris sent, but I didn't want it to sound as though I just copied his.

Hello — I am writing to ask if it is true that you are permitting the anti-equality group "National Organization for Marriage" to gather and rally against gay equal rights at your Fairfield, CA, location on 9/29. I certainly hope that this is being advertised in error, as I absolutely love your products and would hate to have to join in a boycott against them. Thank you, Kate

• 57. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:28 am

"confection-related money" — I love it.

• 58. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:30 am

Do you actually have a family budget line item for "Confections and Related Products"?

If so, that's pretty sweet.

• 59. Ann S.  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:33 am

You don't??

• 60. nightshayde  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:35 am

LOL – we don't have a written budget, but I do try to be aware of where our money goes. I haven't spent money at Carls Jr or Domino's Pizza since the late 1980s because of an organization they support. I won't go to the Chick-Fil-A that just opened a few doors away from my office for the same reason.

There are enough good products in the world for me to pick and choose which companies I wish to support. I love me some Jelly Bellies just as much as the next gal — but if they're funding anti-equality causes, they're not going to use my money to do so.

• 61. bJason  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:36 am

That is great Chris!

• 62. Bob  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:38 am

@bJason, great letter in resonse to Biden's request for money. standing O

• 63. Dave P.  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:41 am

So they're coming to California, eh?

This is going to be GOOD.

• 64. Kathleen  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:42 am

NOTICE: For those of you who subscribe to the email notices from the court in the Perry case, just a heads up that there will be a lot of notices rolling in today that are really just clerical matters. All those briefs that were submitted late Friday have to be officially entered on the docket.

I won't be posting those here as updates, but where there is an order associated with it (such as the clerk of the court's official filing of the brief) I will upload the doc on Scribd.

If anything comes through that doesn't relate to a routine matter, I'll post an update in the comments of the current post, as always.

• 65. Suzanne (not for muc  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:47 am

Hi Chris B,

Thank you for the great letter to Jelly Belly. I did a modified cut and paste, and the company now is aware that my confection related $$ may be going elsewhere, dependent on their decision to withdraw their location.

This also may need to go viral on Facebook.

• 66. bb  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Oh, viral is always good :->

• 67. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:56 am

Speaking of where companies put their money, are people here aware of the donation made by Target in support of Tom Emmer, the anti-gay Republican bigot running for governor here in MN? If not, here's the background. If so, please indulge me or skip me!

Target was one of the first corporations to take advantage of the recent Citizens United decision at SCOTUS to make a large cash donation to a political campaign. They gave $150,000 to a group called MN Forward, a far right advocacy group that has produced ads for Emmer. They (Target) say they did it for pro-business reasons, and Emmer is certainly pro-business (and anti-consumer) by any measure. But he has also stated that he does not support SSM and will work, if elected, to amend the MN Constitution accordingly. He also opposes civil unions and pretty much anything else that acknowledges that homosexuals are humans, too. Worse, he has voiced strong support for a group called You Can Run But You Can't Hide International, a ministry headed by the loathsome Bradlee Dean. YCRBYCHI sponsors in-school "punk rock" presentations that are really promotions to get kids to come to their prayer meetings. They also host a radio show that is syndicated on several Christian stations around the country. In May of this year host Dean called the execution of homosexuals "moral," and made this claim, “The bottom line is this… they [homosexuals] play the victim when they are, in fact, the predator. On average, they molest 117 people before they’re found out. How many kids have been destroyed, how many adults have been destroyed because of crimes against nature?”

Here's a link to a brief reference for this story. Michele Bachmann has also been a fervent supporter of YCRBYCHI. Shocking, I know. And that's my home distruict. Ugh! And Best Buy donated $100k to MN Forward.

I have to say, though, it's really tough to boycott Target and Best Buy here in Minnesota.

• 68. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 6:58 am

Okay, Mom & I will be at Willows, and hopefully we can meet up with other equality supporters. Of course, that's as close as they get to the North State. Good thing as there are a LOT of Latino/Latina's living up here. Not so many in Willows. But then, this is Republican Land with Tea Party's and everything. Either way, I'll have my camera and Tape Recorder in Willows.

We can't help feeling though, that a lot of the places listed are red herrings. We think they've taken a page from Fred Phelps and are listing possible places they might appear.

• 69. Alan E.  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:00 am

I wish I could make it to at least one of their stops, but this is a busy week for me at work. I wonder how many people will actually show up being that so many need to work.

• 70. ChrisB  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

I agree, viral is good. Although the virus I have in my head right now is not good. I can't get to FB from work (thank goodness I can get here or I might actually have to, you know, work. I'll post something tonight, although many of my friends call me their "liberal Facebook friend" and I suspect just drop by my profile occasionally to see what I'm ranting about today. One once asked me, "If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys?"

I have to be careful not to yell "Wolf" too often.

• 71. JusB23  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:02 am

:::Like:::

That is pretty awesome!

• 72. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:05 am

Oh yeah, time to notify Chico Stonewall. I'll drop them a note on FaceBook.

Bo

• 73. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:08 am

If any one of you are attending Willows, let me know. Perhaps we can meet up at the Starbucks just off I-5?

• 74. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:15 am

Willows is the closest stop to me, but it's still a good 3-hour drive for me each way. Damn — I want to be there with you and your Mom, Bonobo!!!!

• 75. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

Here's their twitter feed:

They're trying to sound very successfull; any reports yet from Our side?

• 76. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:49 am

Kate: You're North of here? Which County do you live in?

• 77. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:51 am

I live near Mt. Shasta (Siskiyou County).

• 78. Jerry  |  September 27, 2010 at 7:53 am

I just sent my e-mail to them. Hopefully they'll get a lot of e-mail and reconsider.

• 79. Judy  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:00 am

Ohmygoodness, they're in my backyard tonight at 6:30 (Roseville). I can wear my Yes On Marriage Equality t-shirt. I don't want to be counted as one of theirs, though.

• 80. bb  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

I'll try to attend in San Diego. Next week will be super busy for me at work, but I'll try to rework my schedule.

• 81. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

Judy! Where have you been??? I've missed you.

• 82. Santa Barbara Mom  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:29 am

Way to go Jason. You really have a good way with words.

• 83. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:32 am

Tehama County here. Near Corning. Like olives? Like Wine? (we have a great Monastery) Come on down. Other than that, not much to do here. Except go to NOM Bus Tours, of course.
    Sorry we'll miss you Kate. Are you stuck with Wally Herger too?

• 84. Lori  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

Sweet. Anyone know which location's nearest Claremont? I'll try to get together a group.

• 85. Michelle Evans  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:55 am

They are not coming very near to Claremont, unfortunately. About the closest they will be to you is either in Santa Ana (Oct 4) or in Riverside (Oct 6). Cherie and I are going to try and get to Dana Point Saturday.

• 86. Joe  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:57 am

• 87. Sapphocrat  |  September 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

Love your email, Chris! Well done!

To everyone: I don't have any inside information on Jelly Belly, but I have the distinct impression the company won't care much. It's not just the three Prop H8 donations I've found that bother me…

…but the company's strange "diversity" statement, which mentions "ethnic and cultural backgrounds," and nothing (and no one) else. Yes, it sounds very strange to me, after more than two years of poring over corporate diversity statements. Either you're proud of your LGBT support, or you're not.

Every other big company in the Bay Area (and Jelly Belly is no small player) at least acknowledges its G/L employees (esp. employee groups), and brags about any awards/recognition it's received (such as a perfect score on the HRC Corporate Equality Index).

I also don't like this line:

"We are a privately owned business and our employee friendly, family involved culture really sets us apart."

I don't know about you all, but "family involved culture" sounds like code for "anti-gay" — especially when piggybacked on the phrase "privately owned."

Sadly, the word "family" has almost become a dirty word to me (thanks, "family values" H8ers), so maybe that's what I'm reacting to.

My observations could mean nothing –or something. Just some food for thought.

• 88. Lori  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

Drat. I'll try to figure out if I can make it work.
    LA could also be a possibility, if a bit of a drive.
    Thanks, Michelle!

• 89. Sapphocrat  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:16 am

Excellent email, Jason! *applause!*

(And I'm glad you mentioned UAFA!)

• 90. paul  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:16 am

I live in Placerville, Ca. The location chosen by NOM for tomorrow (11:00 AM) is beyond obscure…it's getting closer to "non-existent". I'll be there, but my question is WHY?
    Like…please attend my wedding in Ka Ka land, Peru. Who's flying in????

• 91. Thomas Peters  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:34 am

Paul – we chose many of these locations because we believe these smaller towns and interests are often ignored by the big campaigns. We want to visit these communities and hear what they have to say as well.

Thanks!

• 92. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

I dislike the thought of no more jelly belly's…but I will do without (as well as many other Arizonan's). Here is their facebook page.

My FAV 'was' tutti fruitti

• 93. Suzanne (not for muc  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

Shazam!

Thanks for paying attention, Thomas Peters. Your candidate is on the wrong side of civil rights history.

• 94. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thomas, since your name links to a site for this "tour," I'll assume you're for real and not just a troll. I'm glad to have this opportunity to point out that NOM et al should have hired a decent Spanish translator.

• 95. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:51 am

The smaller communities have a larger population of agricultural workers, presumably Hispanic…..

• 96. karen in kalifornia  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:56 am

Noticed the tour started in conservative Bakersfield, CA. If you recall, it was in Bakersfield where the County Clerk chose to halt offering civil ceremonies, ALL legal civil ceremonies, so her department wouldn't have to married same sex couples. Oh yeah.

• 97. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

PS to Thomas:

Be sure to tell Louis "Hi" from all of us.

• 98. Ronnie  |  September 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

Oh..so Tomas Paters is one of NOM's little anti-gay sheep trying to force their repugnant "moral" superiority on the rest of us….destroying our personal lives & violating our Constitutional rights…..who think they have the right to vote on how other people live their lives…..forcing their fascist religious beliefs & definitions on the rest of us…."We want to hear what they have to say as well"…….

That's where you get wrong Thomas….you anti-gay people have NO say in our personal lives…ACCEPT IT & GET OVER IT!!!!….. X ( …..Ronnie

• 99. Bonobo  |  September 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

But if you can't speak or write in Spanish, how are you going to listen to them?

• 100. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

Better yet, tell Louis "Hola" from all of us.

• 101. Whitney Weddell  |  September 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

When and where in Bakersfield?? I am SO on this!!!

• 102. Kate  |  September 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

Maybe that's why he is here on this site right now instead of out speaking and listening. But that doesn't explain how the others on the bus will be able to explain their hideous Spanish grammar to the native speakers they hope will show up……..

• 103. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

If you have time, you need to listen – somehow we have to find a way to stop bullying:

Tammy Aaberg and their family have been coming to terms with the death by suicide of their son and brother, Justin, on July 9. From WCCO-TV: Behind that big smile and lots of friends was a shy, loyal 15-year-old boy who loved to play the cello. Justin Aaberg came out as gay when he was 13 and, as his mom found out only after he hanged himself, suffered tremendously inside. "I actually thought he had the perfect life. I thought out of anybody I knew that he had the perfect life," said Justin Aaberg's mother, Tammy Aaberg. "But I guess he didn't think so." We'll talk to Tammy about her feelings, about Justin, and what she would say to other moms. Join us on this important show. Dr. Ray Werking, Leesa Nixon, and Fred Elia will the discussion on warning signs, how "bullycide" could be more of a threat to gay youth in foster/adoptive care, and what are the roles of schools "in loco parentis."

<a href="http://www.blogtalkradio.com/a-thousand-moms-talk/2010/09/25/a-mothers-grief-1

” target=”_blank”>http://www.blogtalkradio.com/a-thousand-moms-talk/2010/09/25/a-mothers-grief-1

• 104. Dave P.  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

…. and I just realized that tomorrow (Wednesday the 28th) they will be stopping in Alameda, about two miles from my home in Oakland's Jack London Square. I'm getting on the phone to call some friends and see if anyone can get out of work to show up.

… But yeah, their choices of locations are getting really weird. This stop is at the entrance to a long-mothballed military base at the far end of Alameda Island. There's really nothing there except for a couple of soccer fields that get occasional use on the weekends. It's very remote. It's not at all like a public park that gets any kind of random foot traffic. You have to drive totally out of your way down a dead-end street to get there.

• 105. Dave P.  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:04 am

…. anybody from here at P8TT who lives in the SF bay area want to go? I won't be able to check emails after I leave the office tonight (my home PC is still packed up) so feel free to show up and surprise me.

• 106. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

good job Chris and Kate!

I agree Sapphocrat, despite being a father of four….and lover of "we are family"(Sister Sledge ;) , I too have developed a negative association with the word family :( ….Focus on the Family- James Dobson, The Family: Proclamation to the World-Mormon church… seem synonymous of excluding gay members of the "family" not inclusion.

• 107. Dave P.  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:11 am

I just sent them this:

I just found out that your company will be hosting an event by the National Organization for Marriage. Other recent NOM events have been attended by people with signs advocating the murder of gay and lesbian citizens. I am very disappointed to hear that your company would have anything to do with such a vile hateful group. I'll never spend another penny on your products and I'll be sure to pass this information to everyone I know.

• 108. Dave P.  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

I just noticed that they are planning a stop in Palm Springs. There is a huge LGBT community there, and many are retired and have plenty of spare time (and past experience) for protesting NOM. They're probably gonna chase the bus out into the middle of the desert.

• 109. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

Will catch up later.

• 110. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Wed. 12 noon. I'll be there. Thinking of a sign with the rainbow and saying "Your values are not My Values"

Anyone else going to be there? Hmm could even be in Alameda too.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 111. RebeccaRGB  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Fuller Park, Napa CA? Oh hell no, not in my backyard! I'll be there with a God Loves Gays sign. See you there!

• 112. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Watching

• 113. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:54 pm

And clicking the box this time bah

• 114. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

What happened at the stop? Details!

Yea I did hear about that bakery. UGH.

• 115. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

"Suddenly. my family looks pretty normal and nice…"

• 116. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I know, right? Yuck.

• 117. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Heh the only reason I know of Alameda is that the Mythbusters blow stuff up there sometimes.

• 118. Rhie  |  September 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm

*facepalm* People did NOT descend from monkeys. Both descended from a common ancestor, down different trees. Tell em there is more physical evidence for Evolution than for gravity.

Or, do what my professor friend does and say "why thank you! we've been working a long time to make it so!" when someone says something about evolution being "just" a theory.

Also the link here should go to my facebook page if you want liberal back up lol.

• 119. Alyson  |  September 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Butte county did that too – I haven't checked back again to see if they resumed doing them after prop 8 passed. Stuck with walley herger here too! Will try to get some folks to yuba city stop but need to take my kids to preschool in chico (a far more progressive town than yuba city)

• 120. Bob  |  September 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm

thanks LLB;s for keeping these incidents of bullying in our awareness, don't know what to say or do, I read this much earlier, and keep thinking about it, had to come back and at least acknowledge it.

these posts are becoming common place on here, hope we don't stop talking about it,

we could at least have a long list of acknowledgements,
    that's the leas we can do, and maybe a task force or something…

RIP Justin

• 121. Sven  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe they are just doing this to give us more bad publicity. Remember what they did last time editing the film and making it look like we were harassing innocent mothers just trying to breast feed thier children. With such a quick tour hitting up cities known for large LGBT communities, they know the opposition is going to outnumber them. After the epic FAIL last time, why do it again? I know they are biggots but are they that idiotic as well?

Sorry if this was already commented on but I didn't see it in the posts.

• 122. Lora  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

That is freakin' hilarious!!

• 123. Lora  |  September 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm

"Do you actually have a family budget line item for “Confections and Related Products”?

If so, that’s pretty sweet."

Chris… love the "sweet" tie-in. Intentional??

• 124. Day One on the NOM Tour o&hellip  |  September 27, 2010 at 5:09 pm

[...] September 27, 2010 For those who missed it, today is Day One of the second NOM-sponsored bus tour — this time in alliance with several other socially conservative organizations. We at NOM Tour Tracker are covering it again. More details on the tour and why we’re doing this can be found in my post here. [...]

• 125. Susan  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:28 am

Where can I find their schedule for California? I'd love nothing more than to go see these clowns. I couldn't even find the bus stop schedule on their website. I can't believe I went to their website. Benn waiting for them to come to Southern California.

• 126. Kate  |  September 28, 2010 at 12:32 am

tusvalores.com

• 127. yayponies  |  September 28, 2010 at 5:16 am

Hey Jelly Belly writers, I got my reply just now:

<blockquote cite="Thank you for taking the time to write; we appreciate hearing your thoughts and concerns.

We were unaware of the “National Organization for Marriage” coming to visit prior to several emails that we received. We do not accept reservations for our free tours and tour buses often stop here for our free public tours. We have not rented any of our facilities for this group and no event or rally will be held here.

Thank you for being among our special Jelly Belly fans. We value your patronage.

Sincerely,

Kit McCoy
    Consumer Affairs Manager">

• 128. yayponies  |  September 28, 2010 at 5:17 am

Oops, I guess I failed my HTML test. Anyway:

Sincerely,

Kit McCoy
    Consumer Affairs Manager

• 129. Day One on the NOM Tour o&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

[...] For those who missed it, today is Day One of the second NOM-sponsored bus tour — this time in alliance with several other socially conservative organizations. We at NOM Tour Tracker are covering it again. More details on the tour and why we’re doing this can be found in my post here. [...]

• 130. ChrisB  |  September 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I got a reply back from Jelly Belly. Here's what they said:

Thank you for visiting our site. We hope the following information answers your question.

Christopher,

Thank you for being among our special Jelly Belly fans. We value your patronage and hope that you will visit us again.

Sincerely,

Kit McCoy
    Consumer Affairs Manager

Somewhat encouraging, I'd say. At least I can eat their beans. It will be interesting to hear what the official inquiries uncover.

• 131. ChrisB  |  September 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Yes, Lora, that was intentional. I get like that sometimes. :>

• 132. nightshayde  |  September 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I got the same response.

I really hope they chase the NOMbies off their property (if they even show up in the first place).

• 133. My last day with P8TT: Re&hellip  |  October 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm

[...] couple reflections on the NOM tour. Back last month I rejoined P8TT quoting “we’re putting the band back together!” from Blues Brothers. As the NOM Tour and I come to a close, I have another musical reference I’d like to use. As [...]

• 134. My last day with P8TT: Re&hellip  |  October 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm

[...] couple reflections on the NOM tour. Back last month I rejoined P8TT quoting “we’re putting the band back together!” from Blues Brothers. As the NOM Tour and I come to a close, I have another musical reference I’d like to use. As I [...]

• 135. Wordpress squeeze Pages  |  March 3, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while
    you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account aided me a appropriate deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent idea