DADT CLOTURE VOTE AT 2:30 p.m. ET NOW (DADT Open Thread)

DADT trial

(Cross-posted from LGBTPOV)

UPDATED at 2:25 PT: MSNBC just corrected itself to say the vote will be at 2:30 ET again. But that may change, of course. Stay tuned. — Eden

by Karen Ocamb

John McCainThis is it. (Updated) Senators just adjourned after debating on whether to proceed to debate on the National Defense Authorization Act which contains language to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. You can watch on C-SPAN2. Bottom line: Democratic Sen. Carl Levin wants to break the filibuster through the cloture vote coming up at UPDATE 3:30ET, 12:30 Pacific to get to full and open debate on the bill, including the introduction of amendments, as Majority Leader Harry Reid promised last week when he limited debate to only three amendments – as I previously posted in the overview. But, he says, “we need to get to the bill in order to debate” the many expected amendments.

Republican Sen. John McCain says no vote should be taken on repealing DADT until after the Pentagon’s survey on how the troops and their families feel about the repeal is completed on Dec. 1. He says voting on it now is “jamming” it through before the Nov. 2 election so President Obama can keep his promise to the gay lobby. McCain stressed how the four joint chiefs of staff oppose changing the legislation until after the survey is complete. McCain is stunned that only the President, Secretary of Defense Gates and the chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mullen – and not the four joint chiefs – are allowed to “certify” the results of the survey before any repeal is possible.

In response to McCain, Levin quoted from Mullen’s testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee where he said that repealing DADT was “the right thing to do.” Mullen is the BOSS of the joints chiefs – so who wins this vote may also impact his future, too. Gates has already announced he is leaving soon.

The Washington Blade’s Chris Johnson will be tweeting during the vote, @cjagenda. He also has an updated story of where the situation stands right now: “Doubts persist as today’s ‘Don’t Ask’ cloture vote approaches”

UPDATE: HERE’S A QUICK TAKE FROM SERVICEMEMBER LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK’S TOM CARPENTER:

Here is where we are. The Republican moderates are angry with Senator Reid because he has limited their side to 3 amendments. They want to be able to offer as many as they want. Reid places the limitation so that he can manage the bill. To quote Lindsey Graham “Elections have consequences.” The conservative Republicans are arguing that we need to wait for the Pentagon report and voting on the NDAA shows disrespect for our troops. They also are arguing that Reid has added an irrelevant amendment with the Dream Act. This happens all the time in the Senate and even McCain has done the same thing in the past. For instance, he added campaign finance, to a NDAA many years ago. Just a smoke screen. Both DADT and the Dream Act are relevant. The Dream Act allows for a path to citizenship by serving in the military.

Not sure where the count is at this time. Looks like Snowe, Collins and Brown will not vote for cloture.

Here’s SLDN’s list of the Senators who may still be moved before the vote, followed by an excerpt from Mullen’s testimony.

UPDATED LIST: KEY SENATORS UNCOMMITTED ON BREAKING THE FILIBUSTER:

–George Lemieux (R-FL);

–Susan Collins (R-ME);

–Olympia Snowe (R-ME);

–Mark Pryor (D-Ark.);

–Richard Lugar (R-IN);

–Judd Gregg (R-NH);

–Jim Webb (D-VA);

–George Voinovich (R-OH);

–Kit Bond (R-MO);

TAKE ACTION NOW: http://bit.ly/bdYE3Z

Call both your senators at the Capitol switchboard right now and urge them to vote to end the filibuster and move on to a real debate on the Defense bill. No spin. No more delays. This should be a bipartisan vote. (202) 224-3121

UPDATE BY EDEN: Please use this as an open thread to discuss the vote as it happens.

Tags:

85 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Mark M  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:16 am

• 2. Ann S.  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:17 am

Enlisting (for comments).

• 3. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:17 am

scribble

• 4. eDee  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:20 am

"Looks like Snowe, Collins and Brown will not vote for cloture. "

I don't understand how any of this works, is that good or bad?

• 5. Phillip R  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:23 am

I think that it's bad. Need a few republican votes for cloture to avoid a filibuster.

• 6. Kevin  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:26 am

It's official: conservatives have no morals, no souls, and no sense of empathy or respect for anybody but themselves. They all deserve to be punched in the face.

• 7. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:26 am

McCain SUCKS!!

• 8. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:27 am

Why can't they just look at the fact that we have had LGBTs in the military from the very earliest times, and that even Alexander the Great said that an army of lovers was invincible. Why can't these supposed adults grow up and just get rid of this piece of amalgamated chutzpah-filled discriminatory BS and get rid of it NOW! And by that, I am not only referring to DADT, but also to John McCain! And we could also use the good people of Kentucky to rise up and get rid of Mitch McConnell!

• 9. Ronnie  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:27 am

"voting on the NDAA shows disrespect for our troops."

No what they really mean…is that is shows disrespect to our Homophobic troops…I'm sorry but as a Naturally born Gay American citizen. why should i respect Homophobic troops?….They don't respect me & people like me….respect cannot not be demanded…it has no choice but to be earned…& I will NEVER respect any Homophobic trash who is under the impression that they can treat us how ever the f@#k they want w/o any consequences….they have not earned it…..like Lady Gaga said….If you don't like it….GO HOME!!!…you're there to fight for & protect ALL Americans not just ones you pick & choose too…..GO HOME & STOP WASTING OUR TAX MONEY ON THIS BULLSHITE!!!!….. >I …Ronnie

• 10. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:27 am

C-SPAN2 live streaming: http://www.cspan.org/Watch/C-SPAN2.aspx

• 11. AndrewPDX  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:27 am

scrabble?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 12. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:29 am

McCain started all of this with his filibuster attempt…he is poison!

• 13. eDee  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:29 am

I second that!
    I'm listening to him now saying that we need to listen to people who don't want gays in the military.

• 14. elliom  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:30 am

It belies their committment to military rediness, as the DADT ruling so clearly showed.

• 15. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:30 am

This legislation DOES NOT REPEAL DADT!!!!!

It states that NOTHING will happen until the wretched survey is completed and certified.

WHY WON'T ANYONE SAY THAT????

Sorry, don't mean to yell.

McCain's argument is pointless.

• 16. elliom  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:31 am

Not voting on it, or voting it down shows disrespect for our LGBT troops.

• 17. Joel  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

DADT was ruled unconstitutional by a federal court. Why doesn't John McCain understand that it is no longer relevant what the Pentagon thinks, that all of these surveys are no longer relevant, that whether John Q. Soldier does or doesn't want to bunk with a gay soldier is moot DADT is unconstitutional, and it is Mr. McCain's sworn obligation to uphold and defend the Constitution.

• 18. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

well, the survey is complete and the STUDY is certified.

• 19. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

even better.

Yeah, what Joel said!

• 20. elliom  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:33 am

Because they'd have to acknowledge that the survey is fatally flawed for mulltiple reasons, and is probably statistically invalid for it's intended purpose.

• 21. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:38 am

GRRRRRR….My partner and I was up way into the a.m. discussing the frustrations of inequality… too much for me today to handle. Logging off now…really I am….must log off….check back later.

I'll enjoy all your comments after this is over..Thanks all for so much data…even if it makes my head spin!

• 22. elliom  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:39 am

[youtube

23. Richard W. Fitch  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:39 am

Indeed, the party of "Hell NO!!" have displayed their true selves again.

• 24. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:40 am

let the games begin

• 25. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:40 am

I love that bit!

• 26. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:43 am

I am sitting at work listening to the vote (which has to be the MOST boring part of this whole process… call a name, wait wait wait wait…. call a name… call three names in quick succession… wait wait wait wait wait…). Of course, this is a violation of computer use policy… so I am likely to be fired.
    :) Oh well.

• 27. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:44 am

Can't the President end DADT?

• 28. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:44 am

OOHHH, don't get fired!

• 29. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:44 am

Hey! They just called MY name! LOL

• 30. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:45 am

did you get in your vote? lol

• 31. Joel  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:46 am

It's my understanding that the Senate is not voting on the bill, but voting on whether the bill can be debated or not. Am I correct, is this oversimplified?

• 32. Sagesse  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:47 am

Observing with fear and trepidation. It's all politics. They are being asked to vote to bring the bill to the floor with the three amendments that have been made. It will then be fully open for further debate and amendment. What is the harm in voting for cloture?

• 33. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:50 am

There are TWO Senators with the last name Udall. Hm. The things you learn listening to CSPAN.

Sounds like 50 voted yes? And 34 no? She just read off names.

I guess they are not done yet. This is hard to follow.

• 34. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:50 am

Do I have the count right…whatever they are voting on, there are more yes's than no's.

• 35. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:51 am

Oh, good I wasn't the only one counting ; )

• 36. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:51 am

Snowe – NO

• 37. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:52 am

I think you've got it.

• 38. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:53 am

They need 60 ayes to bring it to cloture, which would guarantee that it was voted on before the end of this congressional session and the new guys come in.

So a simple majority won't do it…

And Joel, you are correct. This is not the vote… it is the vote to TAKE the vote.

• 39. Trish  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:53 am

Not oversimplified. That's my understanding, too.

• 40. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:53 am

Then how about listening to people who don't want someone in office who sold his military unit down the river four days after he was captured by the Viet Cong!

• 41. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:53 am

I think we are at 55 aye.

• 42. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:54 am

Of course, both of my crappy senators – NO

• 43. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:55 am

Elections are coming Jason! Get out there and stuff the ballot box…

56 aye…

• 44. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:56 am

Mr No-way just voted aye… I find that very amusing.

• 45. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:56 am

Mine too…but one of mine is McCain. I am so ashamed to be an Arizonan right now. I am going to work hard at making sure people vote in November.

• 46. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:58 am

Let's see… how many private sector employees can, while at work, mill around running their jack-holes while something important is going on?

GGGRRRR.

• 47. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 4:59 am

60, and 1 has to be a republican

• 48. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:00 am

Not even a Democrat running to be my senator (not that I would necessarily vote for him/her). Isn't that pathetic – unopposed republican

• 49. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:01 am

Ayes 56 darn….

• 50. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:01 am

56 to 43

• 51. Ronnie  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:01 am

Boycott Nevada… >I ….Ronnie

• 52. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:02 am

OK… I gotta go work… I can't listen any more… love you guys, talk to you later.

• 53. PhillyKarl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:04 am

AAAAAARRRRRGH!

• 54. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:04 am

back atcha

• 55. Joel  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:04 am

Screw 'em. It'll be repealed by judicial act, and those senators who voted against it will be exposed for the un-American, anachronistic fools that they are.

I'm about ready to emigrate to Canada.

• 56. PhillyKarl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:07 am

Republicans are just plain bscared of homos. Shaking 'n quaking in their shoes bscared of homos. I never knew such cowardice existed.

• 57. MJFargo  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:07 am

OOooh. Then we can have you all to ourselves. But. Don't. Get. Fired.

• 58. Evan  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:08 am

I'd love to see Reid keep going, bring it to the floor, and let McCain prove himself the big blowhard that he is.

"How's your endurance, you old a-hole? Filibuster all you want."

Let him rant and rave on the Senate floor until he drops from exhaustion.

• 59. AndrewPDX  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:08 am

I think someone posted on an earlier thread that the President cannot repeal a law, only military policies — else we would have a military dictatorship.

So, if DADT is an actual law, then no he cannot.

If DADT is just a military regulation, then I think he can.

Of course, there's still the Universal Code of Military Justice or whatever… Is that law, or just a policy?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 60. MJFargo  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:09 am

It's a law. Needs to be repealed. But it's also a law that's been declared unconstitutional. So if the President instructs the Justice Department to NOT appeal Judge Phillips' decision, then he'll have done something (like he promised).

• 61. Ronnie  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:09 am

Sue the Federal government for stealing our money to fund Homophobia, discrimination, & unconstitutional behavior….. >I ….Ronnie

• 62. bJason  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:11 am

Harry Ried is crying now but probably NOT admit that this Failure is probably HIS fault.

• 63. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:12 am

That would be lovely. They changed the rules of filibuster, though… now I think he just has to say he wants to do it, and everybody goes home.

Or something idiotic like that.

• 64. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:12 am

Oh… wait… I am not really here… I am working now… damn.

(sneaks back out again on tippie toes)

• 65. PhillyKarl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:15 am

I don't think Harry Reid has the balls to bring it to the floor and force the Repubs to fillibuster. Make them stand and model on the Senate floor until they drop. I'm so mad I can't stand it.

• 66. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:17 am

Funny, I thought the same thing, but that was Daniel Inouye from Hawaii whose name is pronounced as "No Way". :D

56/43.
    FFF: F*cking Filibuster Failure. :(

• 67. CaliGirl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:24 am

:I

So disappointing. Damn you, McCain.

• 68. Joel  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:24 am

Please don't. My husband and I live and work here, as do thousands of other LGBTers. And in this economy I don't have choice about it.

• 69. Anonygrl  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:25 am

I think we need to find a screen shot of him accepting Lt. Choi's ring, and caption it with his promise to get this done, and send Reid a copy for every single service person who has been discharged because of DADT. Email, fax, snail mail… we should just send him copy after copy of that moment, and his promise. If we could get Lt. Choi to sign it, all the better.

I am still not here, I am at work, yes I am… bye!

• 70. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:27 am

Not only the Repblicans, did you see the Democratic Senator from Virginia also against it. Virginia is a terrible mean anti Equality state, I know, my daughter lives there.

I am going to turn on C Span. I am able to watch USA TV by means of a Slingbox. It is a piece of hardware that is about the size of a DVD player and connects to your tv. It captures the tv sigenal, packages it up for transport over the internet, then me over here in France I am able to watch it. It is NOT illegal! I would not do anythign illegal. If you travel a lot, or like me I am living in France and I want to watch American TV I highly reccomend a Slingbox. If you travel in your hotel room you can get an internet connection and watch your hom tv, even shows that you ahve recorded on a DVR box.

• 71. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:29 am

Right Ronnie! It is just what Lady Gaga said yesterday. Kick out the homophobes, NOT the proud GLBT service members.

• 72. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:31 am

I for one can't wait to see the responses to that damned survey. They didn't do that when they inegrated African American troops into the segragated military. They didn't survey the troops when women were alloed to serve. but oh for TEH GAYZ, better stop and ask people what they think. It is all bullshit.

• 73. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:36 am

PhillyKarl, Me to, but I am not so angry as sad. It is just so sad to me. I'm just really sad right now at this moment.

• 74. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:39 am

I knew it existed, especially with McLame! We are like Joel–about ready to emigrate to Canada. WE are only staying here because of my mother-in-law, but we are packing things up little by little in preparation. McLame is a SHANDA DER MENCHEN and a disgrace to the uniform he used to wear.

• 75. Lesbians Love Boies  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:39 am

Could they have people trying to intervene to appeal if the President chooses not to…like the ilk trying to intervene Perry?

• 76. Straight Ally #3008  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:39 am

There's a lot of that, I'm sure, but what they're really afraid of is the Religious Right, and the Religious Right is anti-gay because if they lose the gay plank scare tactic (see NOM, Concerned Women for America, Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, Family Spam Spam Family and Spam, etc.) their power and fundraising ability suffers a massive hit. I'm still enough of a Pollyanna to believe that the Religious Right will lose on all the major LBGT equality issues, but friends, they're gonna drag this one out to the final second and the final penny of donations.

• 77. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:43 am

Gregory I was thinking of you especially practically all day today. I read a news article about an amendment, it was call free path of freedom or something similar. If you have been in this country since you were a child and either were in college or the military you get a path to citizenship. My ears perked up real high. i immediatly thought of you and your beloved as that is his exact situation, isn't it? This would be your ticket, right? Right now he is in hiding not legal, right? I think you said he has a masters degree in sociology or psychology so i thought he could get in with the education requirement of the defense bill amendment. Honestly have been thinking of you almost all day.

Also i was thinking of Kirille, thinking if they allow GLBT's in the military and being in the military is the path to citizenship that if all else fails and we don't get marraige equality in this country Kirille could simply join the military and get in that way. We all know his terrific langauge skills, he would get in for sure.

And Franck, it break my heart to see on your posts how many days you have been away from your loved one.

Basically i was thinking about all of you guys who live your love apart on diffrent continents and how if this goes through how that might help you to be together.

• 78. Kathy  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:43 am

The Senate's web page has the tally up. I read somewhere that Reid voted 'nay' because of some rule that the opposition could bring it up again.

• 79. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:44 am

Err not to nitpick but I think you kinda forgot the word "Values' in your list… /sarcasim

• 80. Straight Grandmother  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:45 am

What MJFargo said

• 81. Straight Ally #3008  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:49 am

Oh, right, right!

Values! Defend traditional marriage! Take our country back!

How's that? (I'd laugh if it weren't so tragic)

• 82. Straight Ally #3008  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:50 am

P.S.: Take our country back…to 1920!

• 83. Richard A. Walter (s  |  September 21, 2010 at 5:59 am

Thank you, Kathy. Now I can go into the next phase of working toward the repeal–calling to demand another vote be taken NOW and that the NDAA get passed as it is right now!

• 84. JonT  |  September 21, 2010 at 11:27 am

scrubble.

• 85. BK  |  September 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Oh yeah! I've got to finish that speech. I had to stop right after she began those lines. I loved it. :)