NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

(Kathleen Perrin, who writes as “Kathleen” in the comments on the Prop 8 Trial Tracker, recently took the initiative to hold the National Organization for Marriage accountable. So we asked her to write it up in a NOM Tour Tracker guest post on the front page. I think you’ll enjoy this latest example of the people power exhibited by Prop 8 Trial Tracker community members. Let Kathleen know what you think in the comments! — Eden James)

By Kathleen Perrin

As we all know, the National Organization for Marriage’s ironically named “Summer for Marriage” tour ended recently and Courage Campaign’s NOM Tour Tracker team was there throughout. The team documented both NOM speakers’ messages of exclusion and discrimination and the powerful demonstrations by the people who stood up to NOM and spoke in support of marriage equality.

All along the tour we saw, time and again, how NOM inverted the truth, portraying themselves as the oppressed instead of the oppressor. NOM’s president Brian Brown even made the outrageous claim that he follows in the footsteps of Martin Luther King as the leader of a new civil rights movement.

In keeping with this twisted version of the truth, NOM played a Peter, Paul & Mary recording of Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land” during their rallies. You can hear the song being played in the background of this YouTube video showing marriage equality supporters walking away from their counter-protest at the end of NOM’s tour stop in Albany:

When I first heard this recording played in Albany, NY, I was stunned and deeply offended. Woody Guthrie and Peter, Paul & Mary are artists who have always unequivocally supported justice and equality for all.

I felt certain the surviving members of Peter, Paul & Mary would want to know of this grievous misuse of their recording, so I wrote to Peter Yarrow. In my correspondence, I provided a link to a video of the Albany rally and explained that their recording had been used at high volume to drown out the chants of “Equality” from the counter-demonstrators.

Mr. Yarrow responded, saying use of the song by NOM was “heartbreaking” and indicated he would be contacting NOM. Here is the letter to Brian Brown from Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey, surviving members of the group who performed as Peter, Paul & Mary (reproduced with permission).

Peter, Paul & Mary Letter to NOM by Kathleen Perrin

Well, Brian Brown, Martin Luther King, Jr. may not be here to counter your offensive claims, but Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey are. And now you know what they think of you associating their voices and their message with your cause.

Brian, we heard NOM use this song again on August 15 during your final rally in Washington, DC. So now all of us in the Prop 8 Trial Tracker community and at the Courage Campaign Institute add our voices to those of Peter and Noel Paul and ask you to confirm that you will cease to use this recording in a way that associates these staunch supporters of marriage equality with your offensive anti-equality message.

Thank you Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey for standing with us in solidarity.

UPDATE BY EDEN: If you would like to thank Peter, Paul & Mary, you can on their Facebook fan page:

Lyrics:

This land is your land, this land is my land,
From California, to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf Stream Waters,
This land was made for you and me.
I roamed and rambled, and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was singing
This land was made for you and me!
This land is your land, this land is my land,
From California, to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf Stream Waters,
This land was made for you and me.
As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me those golden valleys
This land was made for you and me!
This land is your land, this land is my land,
From California, to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf Stream Waters,
This land was made for you and me.
As the sun was shining, and I was strolling,
And the wheat fields waving, and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting, a voice was saying
“This land was made for you and me!”
This land is your land, this land is my land,
From California, to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf Stream Waters,
This land was made for you and me.

• 1. Alan E.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:17 am

Go get 'em!

• 2. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:19 am

Go, Kathleen, go!!! I'm so proud to be friends with you and all our P8TT buddies. Making the world a better place.

• 3. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:19 am

Oops, got so riled up I forgot to subscribe.

• 4. Michael  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:20 am

I doubt Mr. Brown will listen to the message. He'll do what he wants, and he'll get sued, and then what?

Maybe that's a good thing?

• 5. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:25 am

WOOT!!!

This is just awesome, in two ways:

1) Seeing Peter and Paul telling Brian off like that is just priceless. Oh, I can just imagine Mary is cheering right along with me.

2) Seeing Kathleen getting front page credit for all the wonderful hard work she does for us is truly inspiring.

Keep up the wonderful work!

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 6. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:25 am

Yes! I knew this would happen when you first mentioned it, Kathleen! YOU ROCK!! STANDING O!!!

• 7. Bob  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:26 am

@Kathleen, another win for us, thanks for the time you took to follow through on this, I remember you first raising the question weeks ago, great work on follow through, and by the way, your name looks good up there it belongs

• 8. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:27 am

Thanks to P8TTs Sagesse and Anonygrl for cleaning up my typos and such before I sent this off to Eden.

(and subscribing)

• 9. Alan McCornick  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:27 am

Big victories are won by small steps such as these.

• 10. Alan E.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:28 am

I like your name. =) It's even spelled correctly!

• 11. BradK  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:28 am

Great job Kathleen!

Question for you: What legal remedies are available should BB & Co. choose to ignore the above request? And what about penalties/fines for the past use?

• 12. nightshayde  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:29 am

Brilliant, Kathleen. Simply BRILLIANT!

• 13. Ronnie  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:32 am

Take them down…take them down to ground…This Land is our Land too Brian Brown….so get use too it…& "QUIT YOUR B*TCH*NG!!!…..<3…Ronnie

• 14. Michelle Evans  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:33 am

Since BB and NOM used the recording again in Washington DC on August 15, they were in direct violation of the letter from July 27. They should and must be held accountable. I sincerely hope that legal action will be taken against their flagrant disregard for the this song.

And I am very glad that my wife and I were helpful in originally tracking down whose recording they were using at their rally, and found the contact info for Peter, Paul, & Mary to start the ball rolling.

• 15. Gregory in Salt Lake  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:33 am

Thank you Kathleen…just AWESOME!!!!!!

Love, Gregory

• 16. Dave in CA  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:34 am

Awesome!

Woot woot Kathleen!

• 17. Dave P.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:36 am

What do you think about getting this into the main stream media? There are several TV shows that predominantly report on stories involving the entertainment industry, such as "Extra":

• 18. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:36 am

… that makes it look like Sagesse and Anonygrl ONLY caught typos; they both offered some great suggestions and were generous and immensely helpful as editors.

• 19. Freddy  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:37 am

Great job Kathleen, wonderful that you are now a "Guest Poster", you deserve the credit and recognition with all that you have done for us in the past.

P.S. Question: Is it odd that you are subscribing to your own post?

and subscribing!

• 20. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:37 am

Michelle, I'm very glad you started the ball rolling, too. PP&M FTW!

• 21. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:40 am

Wow! Kathleen on front page! Yay! I'm so overjoyed!

• 22. Lesbians Love Boies  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:40 am

Great Kathleen!

and subscribing

• 23. Kirk C  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:42 am

forget, for a moment, the opinions of the artists on this issue….. did NOM really not see the blatant hypocrisy in using "This land was made for you and me" in their campaign to exclude gay people from the rights they enjoy?

• 24. Beth  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:43 am

I Love it, so many nasty right wing republicans were playing Bruce Springsteen and many other artists who are offended that their songs were used by bigots and haters….thank you for contacting Peter Paul n Mary. Efforts by all of us can only help to bring ignorance and hate to it's final resting place….

• 25. nightshayde  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:46 am

They don't see the hypocrisy in defining "pro-marriage" as "anti-marriage equality," – so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to accurately interpret song lyrics.

• 26. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:48 am

They apparently don't see the irony in claiming to be the leaders in a civil rights movement.

• 27. Sheryl Carver  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:49 am

Just adding my cheers to you, Kathleen, for stepping up & DOING something GREAT!

Cheers to Peter & Paul, too!

• 28. Julie  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:49 am

I now feel totally justified in my irrational level of love for Peter, Paul, and Mary. :) Thanks for notifying them, Kathleen!

• 29. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:50 am

Bravo Kathleen! I'm proud to know you!

• 30. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:54 am

Welcome back Ronnie! We've missed you! I've been just dieing to watch you rip apart the Trolls we've had recently :)

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 31. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:56 am

SCORE Kathleen!!!! And props to Fiona also, who I believe was the first one who brought this up. Fiona mentioned that she had managed bands previously and how shocked she was to hear the PP&M song played at the (anti) Marriage Rallies. Finoa was sure the bamd members would not permit their songs to be played at such awful rallies. (Kathleen if my memory is faulty on this please forgive me).

But hen YOU Kathleen you went a step beyond, and executed on the presumption. KUDOS to you Kathleen. If you weere in France like I am, I would say, "Chapeau" whihc means "My hat's off to you"

It is also wonderful that you are the first front page topic author from our community, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. I hope you are starting a trend…

• 32. carpoolcookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:57 am

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I love Peter, Paul & Mary SO much, and love them even more, now. Aside from the social issues they stood for, they're a beautiful symbol of HARMONY…..i.e., diverse forces balancing together with give and take to create beauty.

What a coup that letter!

• 33. Barry G. Wick  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:58 am

By using the song, Mr. Brown is once again only playing to his base…the age of the people who attend his hate rallies…and repeating the drumbeat that America is a Christian nation only for Christians…so "This land made for you and me." only means for his special interest group from which he makes a substantial income. Republican self-hater Mehlman only hated gays because he assumed it was financially rewarding to do so. There's no way to remove the financial benefit of the opposition's hatred. The "ignorant" will write checks based upon the fear they generate looking at the nightly news or the CNN/FOX/MSNBC Tirumvirat all days in their little homes…sealed away from the realities of the world. Mr. Brown is a skillful user of isolation and ignorance….and will use anything available to get people to like his message even when when he uses is in direct opposition to what he intends. Such has been the case for leaders throughout history.

• 34. Rich Robinson  |  August 27, 2010 at 4:59 am

Kathleen, you are a gem! Thank you! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there could be a grand coming-together concert for all who support marriage equality and wouldn't it be grander-still if performers such as Peter and Paul could headline the event. Just like "the old days"…with Mary smiling up above.

• 35. Rick  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:01 am

SO awesome. Thank you, Kathleen, and thank you, Peter, Paul and Mary! I knew there was a reason why I've always loved you. Keep up the fight!!!

• 36. Ronnie  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:02 am

I've missed you guys/gals too….yeah…I've been busy I have several projects that need to get done….& I started the design process for my clothing line I plan to lunch in December….but I'll be going through things to see what damage control I can do…. ; )
    <3…Ronnie

• 37. Brian G  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:03 am

It makes you kinda wish that God could hand out a cease and desist order to groups that use His Name to promote their hate.

• 38. Papa Foma  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:03 am

This is excellent. This is exactly the kind of publicity NOM needs. If this gets picked up by even the off MSM (cross-postings and such) it would really put yet another endorsement not only for anti-gay discrimination, but for the promotion of a more loving world. After all, this was what the song was really about!

BTW, even though this may not seem much for the struggle in the US, it is none the less valuable for the world in general. Kirill and I just got the contract to translate and promote Daniel Helmiak's book WHAT THE BIBLE REALLY SAYS ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY.

Every bit helps. What we do in the United States will affect the world. Think about it… how many times do we cite the number of nations that have Universal Marriage laws?… !

Love you all!
    Felyx (& Kevyn)

• 39. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:05 am

Go Ronnie! I agree, Take Them DOWN!!!

• 40. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:05 am

Julie, there is NOTHING irrational about loving Peter, Paul and Mary–Great artists, wonderful human beings, beautiful music! What's NOT to love?

• 41. Donna  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:05 am

Great work, letting them know how their song was being used. It is just as important to let it be known that they oppose this use of their recording, have let the NOM people know that, and yet their wishes are not being honored. NOM only cares about its wishes and their interpretation of that beloved old song is far different from the one I grew up embracing.

• 42. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:06 am

AMEN!!!

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 43. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:07 am

You got that right. Remeber how they called US intolerant?

• 44. BradK  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:07 am

Or reach out His hand and swat them like the insects they are. You know, some of that Old Testament wrath stuff that this lot seems to love to invoke.

• 45. Felyx  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:09 am

Sorry, forgot to change the poster name to Felyx. Still love ya'll! – F

• 46. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:10 am

“Chapeau” to you as well Michelle. See my later post to Kathleen for the translation. I Without that nothing subsequent could have happened.

• 47. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:12 am

OMG!!! This is FANTASTIC news! MAZEL TOV!!! STANDING O!!!!!!

• 48. Bob Barnes  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:20 am

Getting sued means playing victim, in his twisted world it all works out.

• 49. acorlando  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:20 am

I cried for Mary Travers who if she were still alive would stand tall beside glbt's as she has always done.

• 50. Michael  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:21 am

But if Peter and Paul were called as witnesses, he couldn't play victim, could he?

• 51. Mandy  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:22 am

wow great work kathleen and Peter Paul and Mary (she is within them in spirit) kick arse!

• 52. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:30 am

Possibly I have made a faux pas, I htought it was Fiona who first broght this up but i am having second thoughts. Might have been Michelle Evans, like I said my memory of the exact person is not perfect. But I do remember both Michelle and Fiona discussing it so both of you, as well as Kathleen, THANKS bunches.

• 53. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:31 am

Thank you, all, for the kind words. But I want to be clear – the real "Thank You" here is to Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey. In all the correspondence, from Mr. Yarrow's initial reply to the many contacts with members of his staff, the message has been unambiguous and uncompromising support for marriage equality.

I am a "child of the '60s"; this music represents for me so much that is right about our country; it is connected to the struggles we've gone through, and those that continue, to bring our country closer to living up to the ideal we symbolize.

I had a visceral reaction to hearing it used to promote bigotry and just couldn't let this go unchallenged. As Ronnie said, "This is our land, too. "

• 54. Jay  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:35 am

Kathleen, thank you! When I took this video, all I intended was to show that the 'civil unrest' that Brown warned of never actually happened. I had no idea just how deeply this would help to expose NOM's hypocrisy, and admit that I was a bit skeptical when I read comments about contacting the group (hopeful and encouraged, but skeptical). Bravo!! Well done!!! Thank you again for doing this.

Jay in Albany, NY

(And partner Brian, who can be seen jumping out of the shot later in the video haha.)

• 55. PamC  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:35 am

Brava, Kathleen!!! Excellent! I knew in my heart that PP&M would never support NOM. And I love LOVE LOVE!!! the strong, clear words of their response!

Thank you for working on this, and all the others who contributed. Heartwarming. Having grown up with all of their songs in the background, I just feel so affirmed.

And I agree, share this with others! :))

• 56. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:38 am

I re-read it again Kathleen a little slower, and want to thank YOU for using the word Discrimination. What WE want is Equlity, what THEY DO is Discriminate. Thank you for calling them out on their Discrimination.

• 57. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:39 am

Jay, thank you for the video. It was this video I linked to in my initial contact with Mr. Yarrow.

• 58. Bolt  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:40 am

Hi Kathleen, you really know how to bat it out of the park!

• 59. Bob  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:47 am

congratulations to Kirill and gang for the contract to tanslate the book, cheers to you guys, and thanks,

• 60. Eden James  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:49 am

Quite a response to our post on Facebook:

Meanwhile, I just updated the post with the full lyrics and a live version of the song. And Peter, Paul & Mary's Facebook page to thank them:

• 61. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:49 am

I think that in this instance, HaShem would turn them all into pillars of salt so that they could be useful for once.

• 62. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:56 am

I just burst into tears as I read Peter and Paul's letter.

Thank you so much, Kathleen, for writing to Peter — and to PP&M for their many decades of advocacy.

I love all of you.

• 63. Richard W. Fitch  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:01 am

A step in the right direction and some wonderful comments. And by all means, KUDOS to Kathleen!!

• 64. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:01 am

Michelle brought it up, I confirmed that it was Not Cool (because yes, I managed bands …). Kathleen found Peter's contact info, and I found the overall band management info.

Let's call it a joint effort for finding the info — but all credit for following up on it goes to Kathleen.

• 65. Jude  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:02 am

Nice work Kathleen. It's so refreshing to read honest individual support from people outside our community. Thanks for taking those extra steps and then sharing the results. You rock!

• 66. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:03 am

I agree it would be beautiful … after Mary passed, Peter & Paul said they would not be performing anymore, but I think they have done some benefits here and there.

One of the best moments of my life was the day I met Peter & Paul. Mary was just at the beginning states of her illness and was not feeling well, so I missed out talking with her. I will tell you that Peter Yarrow is just the dearest man; I don't know what he saw when he looked at me that evening, but he just came over, opened his arms, and wrapped me in the biggest hug. All I could do was cry and tell him how much I had loved him, and PP&M, since I was a very little girl.

He and Paul signed my stuffed dragon (Puff, of course) that I had brought with me to the show.

PP&M are real heroes, and I am so humbled by them.

• 67. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:04 am

Hooray for both of you!

• 68. Jim  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:06 am

Wonderful, Kathleen.

Yet another example of how we are on the right side of the law, and the radical right is radically wrong.

• 69. Harriet  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:07 am

The protesters against NOM should start playing it then the NOM people would not want to. That would solve the problem.

• 70. Anonygrl  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:07 am

Well done Kathleen!!! I was delighted to help (and really, all I did was edit some verb tenses) but so proud of YOU for the great follow through you had on this idea!

Kudos indeed!!!!

• 71. Elizabeth Oakes  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:13 am

I agree–and maybe over to HuffPo?

• 72. Elizabeth Oakes  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:14 am

Ditto. Genius move, Kathleen. I wonder what theme song they'll choose next (Highway to Hell, maybe.)

• 73. Adam Bink  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:20 am

Great work, Kathleen.

• 74. Josiah  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:21 am

Поздравления!

• 75. Josiah  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:22 am

Thanks a million, Kathleen! And thanks to Peter and Paul too!

• 76. Elizabeth Oakes  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:25 am

It's true, Barry. It reminds me of Hitler using Johann Strauss II's music as propaganda, even though he knew Strauss was of Jewish ancestry. What is interesting too is that the PPM version of the song leaves out the last verses that Woody always sang–the verse that showed the concept of the U.S. being "our land" was a capitalist joke:

As I was walkin' – I saw a sign there
    And that sign said – no tress passin'
    But on the other side …. it didn't say nothin!
    Now that side was made for you and me!

In the squares of the city – In the shadow of the steeple
    Near the relief office – I see my people
    And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
    If this land's still made for you and me.

• 77. Elizabeth Oakes  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:26 am

That would be us, Brian. :)

• 78. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:35 am

I am so VERY proud to know you Kathleen…you are amazing!!

Big Furry Bear Hugs
    Mark (and Robert)

• 79. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:36 am

RONNIE!! Welcome home buddy!!!
    We miss your passion around here!

• 80. Sean  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:37 am

It's great to see so many celebrities (and just plain good people!!) standing up for what is right.

Peter, Paul, and Mary? You all have my thanks ^_^

• 81. Bolt  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:38 am

I understand these words are supportive and positive, but Kathleen is definitely not an outsider.

• 82. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:45 am

Here's three cheers for Michelle, Fiona and Kathleen for their joint efforts on this!!! And three cheers for Peter, Paul & Mary!!!

Now, everyone please join me in singing:

• 83. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:46 am

You're right, Puff the Magic Dragon, ahhh what a song what memories.

• 84. Danielle  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:47 am

Wait, I thought Glen Beck was channeling MLK as the "Leader" of the New Civil Rights Movement! Dang… So many oppressed Repubs and Evangies… I never knew… thanks for opening my eyes to this horrible truth!

• 85. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:48 am

Who else here doesn't need the lyrics :)?

Or, for the Canadians in the crowd….

A version was written and popularized by Canadian folk music group The Travellers in 1955:[

This land is your land, This land is my land,
    From Bonavista, to Vancouver Island
    From the Arctic Circle to the Great Lakes waters,
    This land was made for you and me.

• 86. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:50 am

Great for youu guys, you make a wonderful team :)

Also thanks for the recent translation, my husband will look it over int he morning, he is more of a morning guy. Merci! (both of you) My laptop that I get mail in over heated so I am on my secondary laptop or I would have sent you an e-mail thanking you and Kevyn. This laptop I don't use for mail.

• 87. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Those were the days, when we all understood what civil rights were:

Rights is rights…. if you are a human being and a citizen or legal resident, you have them.

• 88. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Pete Seeger and a chorus of schoolchildren sang "This Land is Your Land" at President Obama's inaugural concert (the day before the actual inaugural, if memory serves), and they sang ALL the verses. I loved that.

• 89. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:53 am

We're the rowboat and the helicopter in that joke, then? I like that.

• 90. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:54 am

What a beautiful story, Fiona.

• 91. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:55 am

And here they are at the Washington Peace March in 1971:

• 92. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:56 am

Oh, Kathleen!!!!! Frickin' fabulous! Now …… let's not have this coup go to waste. It needs to start making the national news, and we need Peter and Paul to put their voices and images behind us. Don't stop now!

Note to Cookie: My grandmother worked at Holman's in PG with Paul's mother.

• 93. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:57 am

PS, Kathleen:

Standing O-live!!!!!

• 94. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:58 am

PPS — Get Arlo next. I'm sure he has control over Woody's estate.

• 95. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:00 am

PPPS — Did you know that Paul is a strong Christian?

• 96. Tim in Sonoma  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:00 am

To Kathleen,Fiona,Michelle and all that had to do with getting Peter and Paul involved, Thank You!.
    Great writing Kathleen, Together we will win this fight for love and equality. My hat is off to each and everyone of you.
    Respectfully Tim.
    and subbing….

• 97. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:06 am

Yet another PS — Will Paul and Peter give "us," the Marriage Equality folks in all their manifestations, give permission to use their song? What a fabulous slap in the NOM that would be!!!!

• 98. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:11 am

And I haven't been this excited since Walker's decision was released!

• 99. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:13 am

Now, if we can just catch them using a Baez song, too….

• 100. Josiah  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:19 am

I just added this to the Wikipedia articles for NOM, "This Land Is Your Land", and Peter, Paul & Mary. I won't link to all of them because that'll put the post in "waiting for moderation" purgatory, but you can start here:

• 101. Don in Texas  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:23 am

Repeated public performances of recorded music usually require payment of a fee to ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.) Violations can be sanctioned in the courts.

Brian Brown and NOM are violating the rights of Mr.Guthrie's estate and PPM who deserve compensation for performances of their music.

Not that it matters to scum like NOM.

• 102. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

Right on Kathleen!

• 103. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:27 am

Kate, I can actually give you something better.

Noel Paul Stookey wrote a beautiful ballad called "The Wedding Song (There is Love)" and immediately released it into the public domain so that *no one* would ever have to pay to use it. Now, at the time that he wrote it (1971), there was no thought that same-sex couples might ever be able to marry … and it does refer to man and woman. But we know from the beautiful letter above that Paul supports same-sex marriage.

Wherever two or more of you are gathered in His name, there is love.

This is the foundation that came from that song: http://www.pdfoundation.org/

• 104. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:28 am

PS: Public Domain Foundation, to which I just linked, is set up to facilitate writing cause-related music. :-)

• 105. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

It would seem to fit the road they are on, wouldn't it?

• 106. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

And what about sending it to Rachel Maddow?

• 107. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

@Fiona

I remember when that song came out (so to speak), and gay friends have used it as an anthem for years. Remember when they covered Margie Adams's "Unicorn Song?" They did an even better job with it than she, I think.

• 108. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

@Kate

Whoop — Margie Adam's.

• 109. carpoolcookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:32 am

"Note to Cookie: My grandmother worked at Holman’s in PG with Paul’s mother."

My boss' wife grew up in the same building in NYC (?) with either Peter or Paul…it's like we're all connected!

I did not know there was a PG connection to Paul Stookey!!!

• 110. carpoolcookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:32 am

Wow. Good idea. It IS an important part of the song's history, now!

• 111. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:33 am

OK, cannot resist:

• 112. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:35 am

Yep, there is indeed a PG connection. I dropped him a note about it a few years ago, and what he called the "blast from the past" took him quite by surprise, as it had been so many years.

• 113. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:36 am

I'm going out to my car to get my PP&M CD to listen to for the rest of the day.

Fiona

PS — I cry every time I think about that hug. There are some people in this world who are just good, you know? And it radiates from the inside out. Peter Yarrow is one of those people.

• 114. Josiah  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:37 am

Certainly more so than the fact that it was referenced on "Home Improvement"!

• 115. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:37 am

AR-LO! AR-LO! AR-LO! Can't you just see the fabulous musical support they can all give again? Pete Seeger is still singing, too. Think of the pro marriage equality songs they could write….. Ah; my activist days from the 60s are coming back in waves, and I'm loving every minute of it.

• 116. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:40 am

Thanks, Adam.

• 117. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:40 am

And more recently (well, 1980s) HARP took up the fight. The acronym is for Holly(Near), Arlo(Guthrie), Ronnie(Gilbert) and Pete(Seeger).

Oh dear. I'm starting to feel like a foremother…….

• 118. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:42 am

or even better, what if they were to use one of Bette Midler's songs? She has, like Peter, Paul, and Mary, been a HUGE supporter from WAY BACK!

• 119. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:43 am

I remember The Travellers, and I'm not even Canadian. But I guess that does mean I'm …… old.

• 120. GraciesDaddy  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:48 am

THANK YOU, Kathleen for bringing this to light. The letter by Messrs. Yarrow and Stookey is a VERY powerful statement for pro-marriage equality. One suggestion, though: How about contacting Arlo Guthrie — Woody's son, y'know — and have HIM revoke all permission for NOM to use the song? Arlo likely owns the copyright to it. It's one thing for PP&M to refuse use of *their recording* — NOM could just go out and find another recording by another group — but for Woody Guthrie's ESTATE to refuse use of the song, even if NOM paid a group to sing it live, would put the QT on them before quick!

Didn't Sara Palin's campaign get in trouble for using an unauthorized song in '08?

• 121. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:49 am

Apparently, due to some oversights, the original copyright has expired. However, that does not mean that someone who has recorded said song is not due their appropriate payments for the public broadcast — despite the fact that mechanical royalties are pretty negligible. (On the order of 2 cents per play nowadays, IIRC).

The main thing is that NOM was asked to stop playing the recording — and they didn't. So, now it is up to PP&M to pursue any legal remedies that they so desire.

How much nicer would it have been for BB et al. to just comply with Peter and Paul's nicely worded request? I can't help imagining BB reading that letter and thinking "Screw those old hippy farts; I'll play whatever I want" — despite knowing that this latter is an entirely speculative story that I am telling myself — and going on in direct defiance of the C&D.

• 122. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:50 am

PS – The above was in response to Don in Texas' comments.

Love,
    Fiona (who is sometimes frustrated by the limited threading, but manages to muddle along …)

• 123. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:50 am

PERFECT!!!!

• 124. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:51 am

Kathleen, I want to send your article to Christine Craft at KGO. Do I just send the link to this page?

• 125. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:52 am

This is fantastic! And Paul is even wearing a rainbow guitar strap! You go, Paul!

• 126. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love HARP. I saw them at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley.

Is that rocking chair next to you free??

• 127. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:53 am

I posted about this earlier; the copyright (due to some sort of administrative oversight) on the song has run out, so the song itself is public domain. A specific artist's recording, though, is *not.*

• 128. nightshayde  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:54 am

Of course he could. Those darn homosexualists will be persecuting him for playing the music he loves.

• 129. Joel  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:54 am

Peter Yarrow's letter is now the subject of a thread on topix.net. The article posted is from lezgetreal:

• 130. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:54 am

My friend Laura (who may be reading, and I hope she forgives me for telling a story on her), was at a folk singers' camp and decided to wander in on a sing-along at one of the campfires because it sounded so beautiful. A nice, grandmotherly lady made room for Laura to sit next to her on a log and invited her to sing along instead of just listening.

It was Ronnie Gilbert.
    :-)

• 131. anonygrl  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:56 am

The very great possibility is that NOM does not have permission to use ANY of the music they played at their rallies. In order to broadcast recorded music at any sort of event (or, for instance, on the radio), a fee is payed up front ASCAP and/or BMI, two organizations which collect royalty fees and then distribute them to artists.

A contract must be negotiated up front BEFORE the event happens, and even so, some artists do not participate with these organizations and you must negotiate with their management, or heirs as the case may be, separately.

NOM should have had an ASCAP or BMI contract. Anybody want to take bets on whether they did or not?

• 132. nightshayde  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:56 am

Funny — now that I read the lyrics, I don't see the part that says "this land was made for you and me but not the people I think are icky."

• 133. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:57 am

ooooohh ….. Ronnie Gilbert; be still my heart!

I'm saving the adjacent rocking chair for you, Ann S.!

• 134. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:59 am

C'mon, PP&M — sue the pants off 'em!

• 135. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:00 am

I guess so – this is a question best directed to Courage Campaign – I wrote the article for CC.

• 136. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:00 am

@Kate, I think that was my point… if you can remember the words (in Amurican or Canadian, or both), you are probably… old.

My son (25) said, not that long ago…. 'Hey Mom, did you know someone's written Canadian words to 'This Land is Your Land?' I assured him there had always been Canadian words :).

• 137. anonygrl  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

I think it is a great idea to alert others about this… I think passing the link along so they can get the story right is a good idea.

• 138. nightshayde  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:02 am

Lightning strike would work nicely.

• 139. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:03 am

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
    how about:
    <cite>We're on the Road to Nowhere
    I Would do Anything for Love (But I Won't do That)</cite>

I'm sure there are other great ones out there too

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 140. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:04 am

I had a great kids' CD with "This Land is Your Land" on it, and our daughter loved it when she was a toddler. I remember telling a much younger colleague at work about this, and she peered at me and said, "were you a hippie??"

LOL, I was a tad too young to be a real hippie. More like a wannabe hippie. I was 10 during the big "summer of love". I don't think I would have been permitted to go to Woodstock at age 12.

• 141. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:06 am

Fiona, the legal thing isn't so important. As Maggie has said in the past, NOM has lots of expensive lawyers.

Play it for the embarrassment factor. They look like complete jerks disrespecting a request from an iconic group like Peter Paul and Mary.

• 142. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:09 am

Sagesse, you're right. Copyright laws are very complicated, but whether or not they are legally right they are ethically in the wrong on this one, and people should know that.

• 143. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:13 am

Puff, The Magic Dragon was my mom's 2nd favorite song …When You Wish Upon a Star was #1… She was quite the optimist :)

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 144. anonygrl  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:14 am

Hey, did anybody notice this…

3,004,696 views of the Tracker and counting as of today…

• 145. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

Wholeheartedly concur that the "whadda maroon" factor is far more important than the legal remedies here. I was just responding to the legalities cited by Don in Texas about public broadcast royalties. :-)

• 146. Dave P.  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wow, Felyx and Kevyn that is great news! Congratulations! And I think this is more than just "a bit". It's a pretty respectable chunk. You go!

• 147. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:20 am

OK, I did it — I just sent this to Pat Thurston at KGO (couldn't find Christine's e-mail):

Dear Pat:

You and Christine are my absolute favorite KGO hosts, and John Rothman runs close on your heels. I never dreamed the management would find someone I enjoy as much as I do Christine to fill John's weekend slot, but they have — you.

I've never called anyone, ever, on the radio. Never will. But when the weekend finally comes and I know I can hear you, my world is good.

So….. I wanted to tip you off about something that has just happened with the battle for marriage equality. This isn't huge, like Walker's decision, but it is meaningful on a very human cultural/historical level. This link will take you to the following story on a site I frequent: . NOM is the acronym for the National Organization for Marriage, an anti-equality religious right group who has been playing this song at their anti-gay rallies all summer. It's a wonderful, heartwarming story for this aging 60s activist…… and so I hope you'll feel the same way and be able to find room to mention it on your show.

With appreciation,

• 148. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:22 am

I guess you don't get that rocking chair after all, Ann…..

• 149. Dave P.  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:26 am

Aw darn it! I hate it when I miss seeing the odometer roll over on the big numbers! : )

Three meeeeeelion views… mwu haa ha HAA !

• 150. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:27 am

I was 5 during the summer of love.

However, the mother of one of my ex-boyfriends was Jimi Hendrix' costume designer; his earliest memory is of hearing Hendrix play "Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock.

His babysitter was David Jo Hansen of the New York Dolls.

I think that these two experiences informed a lot of his fascinating eccentricities. :-)

Love,
    Fiona (who has often said that she *knows* she would have marched with MLK (and PP&M) if she'd been old enough)

• 151. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:30 am

Are you kiddin' me? I want that rocking chair! I have earned that rocking chair! I am plenty old enough to have that rocking chair! Just ask my daughter . . .

• 152. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:30 am

John Aravosis on Ken Mehlman… great post

On Mehlman, I'm more interested in equality than revenge

"I don't care if he ripped the heads off baby bunnies back in 2004, if he's willing to help us now."

• 153. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

Ah, Fiona, you only have one of their CDs???

• 154. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh, Kate … Joan Baez would just *flip,* wouldn't she?

• 155. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:36 am

No, no, Kate — I only have one *in the car.*

I am still annoyed that I loaned my copy of PP&M's very first album to a friend who wanted to tape it. That friend moved away, and the album went with her. >:-(

Love,
    Fiona (who really has been a fan since childhood — that first album was a *first release* that belonged to my mom)

• 156. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

LOL Great imagery! LOL

• 157. Mark M. (Seattle)  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

YEAH!!
    Ever bit of exposure of their hatred and discrimination is a plus for our side.
    Thanks Kate

• 158. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

"Screw those old hippy farts" — ha ha ha. I love you, Fiona!

Old hippie fart Kate

• 159. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

Good save, Fiona — glad to hear you only had one in the car. Consider yourself redeemed.

• 160. fiona64  |  August 27, 2010 at 8:55 am

Love you right back, Kate.
    :-)

Fiona (commie homo-loving sonofagun … to coin a phrase …)

• 161. Judy  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

As McCain was about to announce Palin as his running mate he played "Right Now" by Van Halen who said he would never have given permission for the song to be played. Then during the Republican National Convention they played "Barracuda" by Heart. Ann and Nancy Wilson reportedly sent cease-and-desist letter to the GOP. That one made the news nationally. (source MTV.com)

• 162. Alan E.  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

More fear-mongering from NOM. You just have to listen to it, and please tell me that the word choice doesn't instill fear in the hearts of gullible people.

[youtube

163. Alan E.  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

"This ruling is crazy and scary."

• 164. Judy  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:23 am

Thank you, Fiona, Michelle, and Kathleen for going out of your way on a heartfelt mission! Thank you, Peter and Paul, for your clear and generous support! I have loved PP&M for decades, and am just learning to love FM&K. To keep the ball rolling I just sent a message and link to this page to our local news broadcasters and publisher. I hope enough of us do this until it makes national news! Great move forward! I'm off now to 'friend' PP&M.

• 165. draNgNon  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

Kathleen, you go girl, for contacting them!

this song was one of the first songs I ever learned as a child, I clearly remember singing it loudly and annoyingly to adults no doubt, when I was 3 and 4 years old.

I am, in a sense however, sort of happy the copyright to the song has run out. if you think about it, it's sort of nice to have a song with that message, in the public domain.

but NOM using PP&M's recording of it, is misrepresentative at best, implying they too support such discrimination.

• 166. Alyson  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:34 am

I think Jude meant Peter and Paul's letter as the individual support outside our community. Not suggesting Kathleen was an outsider.

• 167. Sara O  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

In case anyone is interested, Roger Ebert blogged about marriage equality today: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/08/the_first

• 168. Sara O  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

The most interesting bit, I found, was this:

"The first time I heard gay marriage mentioned, I was incredulous. Two gay people couldn't get married! It simply…well, it wasn't done. I wasn't objecting to their homosexuality. I was objecting to the disturbance caused to my mental categories."

I think that's true of a lot of people. Anyway, food for thought.

• 169. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:41 am

I'll 'fess up — I'm not a Facebooker. (Too much of a hermit for that; P8TT is my only foray out into the big world of humans.) So, I want to leave a message of thanks on the PP&M page but can't see how to do it. The messages that show there are all oldish; they certainly don't say anything about this C&D letter. Help?

• 170. AndrewPDX  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:44 am

Ok, that made me ill.

I swear, if I ever hear that on a radio, I'm gonna call that station and give them a lecture in the constitution and ask them to never ever play such lies…

'course, I doubt that'll happen; they'll only play it on those stations that are already in NOM's pocket, which I couldn't stand listening to anyways, and they wouldn't listen to me telling them the truth anyways.

GRRR

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 171. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

"San Francisco values". I haz them.

I am sick of the beautiful city of San Francisco being used as a scare-word by NOM and their ilk.

They don't like our "values" but they sure clog up our streets in the summer and buy loads of trinkets at Fisherman's Wharf.

• 172. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:47 am

Do you see the buttons that say "PP&M", "PP&M and Others" and "Others"? Click on Others, and you will see a ton of messages of support. Only PP&M can post on the "PP&M" portion of the wall. If you post on the wall it will go under "others" automatically.

• 173. carpoolcookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:49 am

Maybe N.O.M. can argue their tour was such a fail that only 10 people actually heard the song at each rally?

• 174. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:49 am

Thank you, Ann; I'll do it!

• 175. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:55 am

Uhhhh……. I see all the great posts of appreciation and support but cannot find a way to add my own. Can you tell that "social networking" is definitely not part of my reality?

• 176. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:56 am

Kate, first you have to click "Like" at the top. Then you should be able to see the space at the top that says "Write something . . . ".

• 177. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:01 am

Tnx, Ann ….. I thought that "like" button was just asking for judgments on the various posts…………

• 178. Ellen  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:03 am

As a fan of Peter, Paul and Mary since the very early days, it comes as no surprise that Peter and Paul would be less than pleased at this misuse of their work. I've been fortunate to see the group perform in NYC many times. Peter is a graduate of LaGuardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts (as is my daughter) and presented many benefit concerts at the school. He is a joy to talk with and a sincerely involved individual, no matter what the cause. Just a side note: he's performing in Saratoga Springs, NY (near my current home) and I'm sure would appreciate having support at his performance.

"Peter Yarrow, Bethany Yarrow and Rufus Benefit Concert, United Methodist Church, 175 Fifth Ave., Saratoga Springs When: Saturday, August 28th at 7:30 p.m. Contact: 827-4953 Notes: Concert to benefit Middleburgh Library and Butterfly Cafe Soup Kitchen."
    Note: I have no affiliation with anyone or anything mentioned.

• 179. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

You used to "Join" a page like this, I think — now you "Like" it. FB is weird.

• 180. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

OK — I did it successfully. (Thanks, Ann!) Here's what I posted:

I've been with you literally since the very beginning. When I heard "This Land is Your Land" was being exploited by NOM, I literally cried. The gratitude I have for your making the move to stop them and for being so supportively clear about WHY, is boundless. "Thank you" is hardly enough. Do you know that, although your letter is dated July 27, NOM continued to play your song on August 15, in defiance of your request to cease and desist? And in Washington DC, of all places??? What particularly evil timing for them to do that, so close to the 47th anniversary of the March on Washington (which, to top it off, Peter co-organized)…. Thank you for standing up for all these decades, and please, please continue to use your celebrity (and rights to determination of your own music) to bring civil rights to all of us.

• 181. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

Damn. Two "literallies."

• 182. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

I thought that might have been you. Nicely said!

• 183. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:32 am

Yeah…. 'twas I. But I had to sign up for a FB account to post it, so I just made a fake FB account under my dog's name.

• 184. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

If only others would be kicked in their prejudices by this sort of clarity — beautifully said.

• 185. Laura TD  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:35 am

Fiona, (yes I'm reading)
    How funny that you remembered the story about me meeting Ronnie Gilbert because, I was remembering that experience while reading this thread. It was at the Kerrville Folk Festival campgrounds and what drew me to the circle was two men leading the group singing "Lemon Tree," one of my favorite PP&M songs. The two guys were named Peter and Noel Paul (yup those guys) Peter had to go catch a plane but Noel Paul stayed and sang with us for awhile and at one point I got up the nerve to sing a verse of a song and Noel started harmonizing with me. I managed not to faint. Check off one childhood fantasy realized.

• 186. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

LOL, apparently I have just sent a friend request to your dog! Does your dog want to be my friend?

If not, I will understand.
    ;)

• 187. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:38 am

Wow, how cool is that.

And surely you meant to say that Peter was Leavin' on a Jet Plane?

• 188. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am

Thank you, Ann. Now I won't feel so lonely! I sent one also! Smart dog!

• 189. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:57 am

You two! Pretty funny. Chaco would be honored to be your friend, except that he really doesn't have a FB page. It's just a fake login to be able to post thanks to PP&M.

• 190. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

hee hee hee. (But maybe from Kerrville it was just a prop plane.)

• 191. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

My husband's cousin and her husband made FB pages for their two dogs, and then sent friend requests around. I duly "friended" their dogs, to play along.

Once in a while FB will helpfully suggest that I need to "catch up" with one or the other of the dogs.

Maybe your dog would like to meet them? I don't think FB facilitates butt-sniffing, though.

• 192. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

@Kirk C: No, most of them barely see us as human beings, let alone having any rights to this land.

• 193. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

They would — except that they'd have to do their own typing, since I don't do FB.

• 194. Linda  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

I'm glad it's in the public domain. I was able to put it on page one of the folk song book I put together for my students. All the children at my school–grades K-8–know this song!

• 195. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:31 am

These people are crazy and scary :)

• 196. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:33 am

It's astonishing to see how many posts of thanks are being made at PP&M's Facebook site — certainly all those people can't just be from P8TT? We must be spreading the word!

• 197. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

@Kathleen,

I can't tell you how impressed I am with your contirbution… the topic post AND your actions informing PP&M of this imposition by NOM on a song that is part of America's soul … a song of jusitice and righteousness for ALL of us.

I am in tears. YOU are an American Jewel.

Thank you. Thank you for being who you are.

I want to add to this tribute *to you" another song by Peter, Paul & Mary that I feel is also appropriate to our strife.

"The Answer is Blowing in the Wind"

The verses of that song that particulary touch me are: "How many ears must one man have? before he can hear people cry?" … in other words, why can't they all hear our cries of pain?… we just want to love an be loved.

Of all the time I've spent on PP8TT sharing our souls, this thread wil be the most memorable.

Love you, Ray in MA

• 198. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

I'll bet Peter & Paul will be mighty surprised when they check their FB account — that's a lot of traffic for them, I'd guess!

• 199. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

Isn't it amazing — Peter & Paul have managed to bring all of us here even closer. I thank them for that, too.

• 200. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:41 am

Aww, thank you, Ray (blush). xoxo

• 201. Wuzzy  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

Hmmm…the God Bless America crowd now tries to co-opt "This Land Is Your Land." Here's an interesting bit of relevant trivia. Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land Is Your Land" in direct response to Irving Berlin's "God Bless America" which Guthrie thought was entirely too jingoistic. Guthrie wrote a song for the average people, the working people, the downtrodden and forgotten. NOM's use of this song indicates the same clarity of thinking Ronald Reagan demonstrated when he used Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA."

• 202. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:49 am

A very appopriate recognition.
    I

• 203. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

I doubt this is news to anyone here, but y'all do know that PP&M recorded "Jesus on the Wire" about Matthew Sheppard, right?

• 204. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:51 am

And IIRC, peter Paul and Mary often said that they felt one of the purposes of their music was to promote harmony and unity among all who heard it. That is also amazing. And so appropriate for this P8TT family here.

• 205. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:56 am

Throughout the tour, NOM showed astonishingly poor judgment in music selection. People reported they played Martina McBride's "Independence Day" (telling a story about spousal abuse) and a k.d. lang recording. If we had a recording of the k.d. lang song, I'd contact her, too. Oh, PLEASE give me an excuse to contact k.d. lang :)

• 206. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

@Kathleen,

How close to viral can you get?

I remember when it was amazing to me when PP8TT hit 100 comments on a topic…you're over 200 here and all over Google!!!!

You should do more than blush!

Congratulations on a job WELL DONE!!!!

• 207. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:58 am

How I would love to be able to attend! You are fortunate.

• 208. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Fill me in about regator.com, Ray. How does this indicate that our gang and PP&M have gone viral? Inquiring minds need to know…….

• 209. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm

kd lang! Oh, Kathleen, too much! Contact her anyway. Show her what you did with the PP&M song exploitation. Tell her there are reports that one of hers was also used but that you don't have video of it …. yet. Let's all go through every bit of footage available. We need to check the NOM site videos right away, before they start taking these down.

• 210. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

OMG, do a Google search for Peter Yarrow and NOM — the entire first two pages are virtually filled with hits on this story on different sites.

Kathleen, Michelle, Fiona, and everyone else who helped — you done good, REAL good. Viral, indeed.

• 211. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

See post #93 here: http://prop8trialtracker.com/2010/07/28/nom-outnu

Anyone have audio for this in St Paul?

• 212. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Incredible…… truly incredible.

Now, we need to get this as heavily to the mainstream press — critical mass. We need the wingnuts to find out about it, and they sure won't be reading "our" media online.

• 213. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Another Google seaech result:

• 214. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I'll start by looking in the archives of the news stations who might have covered the Mpls. rally. Any chance you know the date? My problem is that I'm not sure I would recognize either kd lang's song or the Martina McBride one…… unlike those of all the 60s folkies; I'd spot those anywhere.

• 215. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I want this to go viral — not because of my post, but so that Peter and Noel Paul know was a grand, grand thing they've done for our community and how very much they're appreciated. I'm really moved by the impact this seems to have had on so many people.

• 216. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

@Kate… looks like you see what I mean…viral can be as in "viral videos" and as in "viral comments"… viruses spread.

• 217. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

This is beyond cool…. kewl?…. whatever!

• 218. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Kathleen, Fiona, Michelle, and everyone who was involved with getting this letter written and this post up:

STANDING O!!!!

Change.org blog!! That is just AWESOME!!!!!

• 219. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

and another:

• 220. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm

How do we get this to moveon.org? NPR?

• 221. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

St Paul was Wednesday, July 28. I never heard the songs being played. The report on the k.d. song was that it was her recording of "God Bless America." I wasn't even aware that she'd recorded the song; it's not on any of the cds I have, and I can't find it listed in any of her discographies. Of course, just because I don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)

• 222. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That's an easier place to start — I'll see if I can find any evidence that she ever recorded it.
    This is the state-wide MN gay site; perhaps they might know of people who took video?

• 223. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm

And this from Truth Wins Out

"The numbskulls at NOM apparently have no clue why it’s inappropriate to use Peter, Paul & Mary’s version of “This Land Is Your Land” at their hate-a-palooza. As Joe Jervis points out, it’s a freaking Woody Guthrie song, written as a counterpoint to “God Bless America.” The song, itself, is about being INCLUSIVE, which runs completely counter to the National Organization for Marriage’s platform of hatred, bigotry and exclusion.

Anyway, Peter Yarrow would like them to stop, please."

• 224. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm

@Kate:

You got me curuius as to how… I submitted a story suggestion via:

Wouldn't hurt if more of you did too!

• 225. Peter, Paul & Mary to&hellip  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm

[...] Peter, Paul & Mary’s cease-and-desist to NOM: Stop playing “This Land Is Your Land” « Pro…. [...]

• 226. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Kathleen — any chance you can get a confirmation from your source on the actual song? "God Bless America" sees highly unlikely…… both due to content and the fact that she's Canadian. However, how 'bout Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" — she recorded that, and the NOMbies are stupid enough to think it's religious.

• 227. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I'll do it! I've never sent news stories anywhere, so I appreciate all the help I can get on doing so.

• 228. This Land Was Not Made Fo&hellip  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

[...] Kathleen Perrin heard that the National Organization for Marriage was using the song in their tour, she decided to alert Peter Yarrow, one of the folks who made up the trio of Peter, Paul & Mary. (He was the “Peter,” [...]

• 229. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I did. thanks for the link, Ray. Also sent the link to this post to Rachel Maddow. rachel@msnbc.com I even asked her to share it with Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews.

• 230. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

My first time doing this, too! Thanx to inpsiration from Kate & Kathleen!

• 231. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Good thinking Richard!

• 232. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Good thinking Richard! (misplaced comment…just being 'presice' … and didn't want to use the word 'anal')

• 233. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I'll send it to Rachel Maddow, too. Keep posting places we can notify, and I'll keep sending.

• 234. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

precise? (there i go again!)

• 235. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I don't know any more than was reported in the thread. I'm not sure who "PeterH" is. He was clearly someone who attended the rally. He said it was people he was talking to who id'd the voice as k.d.'s.

I'd feel more confident about pursing this if I could find any evidence that k.d. lang recorded this song. Anyone know anything about this?

• 236. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

btw, k.d.'s rendition of Hallelujah at the Olympics opening ceremonies was a transcendent experience. It still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

• 237. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:07 pm

OK — NPR and Rachel Maddow done; give me more, more!!!!

• 238. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Thanks, Ray. And for those who may not yet know this, this post is going all over facebook!

• 239. Sagesse  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm

@ Kathleen,

There's a story behind that Olympic performance. They asked Leonard Cohen to do it, and he recommended KD Lang.

• 240. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Kathleen:

How 'bout Mellencamp? LLB posted this after the Madison rally:

95. Lesbians Love Boies | July 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm
    Seems they are getting music all wrong (it might very well be that the person who is choosing the music is a homosexual.)

They play this and I just posted a video on the Maddison page where NOM is playing John Mellencamp’s “Pink Houses”

• 241. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hold on, Barry…

U say: "Republican self-hater Mehlman only hated gays because he assumed it was financially rewarding to do so. "

Coming out can be a very confusing and complex process.

You are assuming… ASSUME… makes an ASS out of U & Me.

Me knows how how hard it can be. how well do you know htis guy Melhman?

• 242. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm

My cat has a facebook page. I sign in to it only to get independent verification for what my own page looks like to someone who isn't a "friend." Maybe because my cat and I have the same last name?, she appeared as one of the "suggestions" for someone I should friend. :)

• 243. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hey Kathleen — Melissa Etheridge DID record "God Bless America." Might it have been she whom NOM was playing?

• 244. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

On the other hand — she may not have actually recorded it, but she did sing it at the DNC.

• 245. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I am a 60's child too. The first time I heard PP&M was on a school bus while in kidnergarten. This memory hit me when I read this topic… hit me hard.

• 246. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Mellencamp's management company is located in NY. They don't list an email contact – just a phone number. I'll call Monday and see how to get this information to them. I'll see how far I can get with this.

• 247. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I can't imagine anyone confusing k.d. lang's voice with Melissa Etheridge's. They're both wonderful, but really different.

• 248. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Maybe a Mellencamp Facebook page?

• 249. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:42 pm

He has a website and fb pages, etc., but I think I'll get the information to the right people more quickly if I contact his mgmt company.

• 250. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

You're the one who knows how!

I've sent the info to Karel at radiokrl.com. He also writes for the Huffington Post and gently suggested him might want to do so about this………

• 251. Ed  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Kathleen! WAY TO GO!!!
    I wiki'd peter paul and mary, and saw your addition on the page…
    GOOD JOB!

Love to u, and to all!
    Ed

• 252. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Good Night Kathleen. (you've earned this night's peace)

• 253. Kate  |  August 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I vote for "Hallelujah." Please, oh please; let it be "Hallelujah." Then we get both kd lang AND Leonard Cohen.

• 254. Greg in Oz  |  August 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Kathleen and all involved in this posting – congrats!!!!!

And this is the reason that the USA is the country it is – one person CAN really make a difference! I know that Kathleen would dispute this by saying that LOTS of people were involved in this – you did it Kathleen – and look how far it has spread.

You go girl!!! Well done and yet another reason to love PPM (like I needed one!)

I'll never forget going to one of their concerts in Sydney at this huge arena. Even though it was a cavernous auditorium, it felt so intimate with those beautiful harmonic voices floating over the crowd. And when they left the stage to come down and actually wander amongst the audience – it was too much! Peter came up to where I was sitting and promptly sat down in a seat next to me and chatted away with me for a good 5 minutes – something I will never forget! I agree with a previous comment somewhere in this thread about how he just effused 'goodness and peace' – the only way I can describe it!

Congrats and a standing O! to all involved in this – just brilliant!!!!

Lots o' Love
    Greg in Oz (who is anxiously counting down the days till his holiday in SF!!!! 21 days to go!!!)

• 255. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Kate, I did not know that. Thank you for telling me.

• 256. Ann S.  |  August 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Maybe my dog needs a FB page, for when I want to do some incognito FBing?

• 257. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm

'I never could decided if NOM was just really that clueless or if there was a mole in the organization getting a laugh out of it all.

Well Kathleen, Maggie did mention that there were gay people working for NOM.

In reality, they are deep-cover agents, fighting for the Agenda(tm).

Ooops. I've said too much.

• 258. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Yep, you're famous Kathleen. Please don't forget the little people like us that you stepped on, on your way to the top. :)

• 259. Kathleen  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

JonT, silly – there aren't any little people here. We're a group of awesome, magnificent people – growing more powerful by the day. That's what love does. xoxo

• 260. JonT  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm

@Kathleen: 'JonT, silly – there…'

Much love Kathleen :)

XOXOXO

• 261. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm

And, Kathleen, I really feel as though I owe you a great deal because your posts here actually started my legal education. And I also owe, Ann S., Trish, and Carpool Cookie for that, pgbach, pbrim, and so many others who have posted translations from legalese into real talk, and you for posting the actual documents!
    Then there are all the others here that I owe so much to for their areas of expertise!
    And I owe everybody here on this site, and CCI's staff, for giving me the courage and support necessary to return to my long-neglected days of activism and civil rights work. This family is just ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and I love you all!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Richard

• 262. Top Posts — WordPre&hellip  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm

[...] Peter, Paul & Mary’s cease-and-desist to NOM: Stop playing “This Land Is Your Land&… (Kathleen Perrin, who writes as “Kathleen” in the comments on the Prop 8 Trial Tracker, recently took the [...] [...]

• 263. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Ellen Degeneres?

• 264. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Kathleen, thanks so much for taking the next step and actually contacting Peter and Paul.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 265. Carpool Cookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:46 pm

"Me knows how how hard it can be. how well do you know htis guy Melhman?"

Mmmmm….but did you drag a ton of people and their families down with you? I hope not.

• 266. Carpool Cookie  |  August 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Maybe we can all meet for lunch in The Solarium, with the French poodle wallpaper?

(I want to reopen that place! It's where you brought out-of-towners, for the view.))

• 267. Ronnie  |  August 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Hey everybody there are anti-gay trolls who are attacking Peter Paul & Mary's Facebook page…..lets squash this shite….Dustin Brian Lee Tenney & John Barrett publicly advocate murder & violence towards LGBT people on anti-gya Facebook pages & now they're bringing their hate to a entertainers private page..Called Yarrow a pedophile…compared Gays to Hitler….& the usual Gay people do have the right to get married…to the opposite sex…surprised?…..No not really….. > I ….Ronnie:

• 268. Straight Grandmother  |  August 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm

@Sagesse- "hate-a-palooza" LOL

• 269. Shelly & Simie 4  |  August 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm

So true he must be suffering from fts failure to succed lmao!!!!!!!! I LOVE your comment so way true!!! I know this is off topic but do you all subscribe to care to causes? I just read today that a texas school refussed a student whose parents are lesbain!! What is this world comming to???

• 270. Ray in MA  |  August 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm

MY Submission to NPR:

"Kathleen Perrin squeals on NOM to Peter Paul & Mary"

Just see: http://prop8trialtracker.com/2010/08/27/peter-pau

Dear Ray,

Thank you for contacting NPR's Talk of the Nation.

We are grateful for your comments to NPR News. Your message has been received and it will be read by the Talk of the Nation staff.

NPR is always delighted to hear from listeners. Should you require additional assistance or have a question, please reply to this e-mail using the link below and we will do our best to assist you.

Thank you for listening to Talk of the Nation and for your continued support of public broadcasting. For the latest news and information, visit NPR.org.

Sincerely,
    Talk of the Nation

NPR encourages you to support your favorite public radio station. Please visit http://www.npr.org/stations/donate/index.php?ps=2… select your station, and make a financial contribution.

NPR invites you to join its audience advisory panel, NPR Listens. Learn more at http://www.nprlistens.org.

• 271. Tom B.  |  August 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

Only problem is, if they were turned into salt, none of us would even dream of eating that salt…it's not kosher to eat such hate :)

• 272. Tom B.  |  August 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

Oops, that was meant to go under the next thread :D

• 273. Tom B.  |  August 28, 2010 at 12:21 am

Moving a misplaced reply:

The problem is, if God turned the NOMbies into pillars of salt, who would want to eat THAT? I mean, that salt would probably taste terrible, not to mention it has, like, 10 times your recommended daily value of hate :)

• 274. Kate  |  August 28, 2010 at 1:05 am

Proving yet again that there is no low to which these people will not squat.

Yet…… PP&M has been around long enough now that they've reached the status of the mainstream's "beloved," so let's cheer for what those haters will do for equality once Paul and Peter see what is going on at their FB page! This may be another force to bring them again to a very public position supporting human rights — can't you see hear the music now???

• 275. FreeTheTruth  |  August 28, 2010 at 1:51 am

All lands are holy
    ALL people are chosen

• 276. Ann S.  |  August 28, 2010 at 2:36 am

Shelly & Simie, the TX school was a private religious school. I've read about such things happening elsewhere, too, sadly enough.

• 277. candide001  |  August 28, 2010 at 6:14 am

Why doesn't NOM just use "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" and be done with it?

• 278. Kathleen  |  August 28, 2010 at 6:27 am

Perfect! (one of my favorite scenes in the movie Cabaret – I get chills just thinking about it)

• 279. Kate  |  August 28, 2010 at 6:55 am

Genius!

• 280. Kathleen  |  August 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm

The coolest thing ever – just saw this tweet from my son:

oriontait: So proud of you, Mom (Kathleen Perrin): This Land Was Not Made For Homophobes http://chn.ge/cUjsEh

• 281. Kate  |  August 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Standing O-live for your son!

• 282. Ann S.  |  August 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

That IS the coolest thing ever.

• 283. Dpeck  |  August 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Whoa!! As of Saturday evening 8/28, the first FIVE pages of Google hits link to articles about this story!

• 284. Kathleen  |  August 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Am I the only one getting an error message at the "thank PPM" link? http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/thankyouppm

Have received these error messages:
    Warning: Unable to connect to database in /home/bsdrelease/framework/2.14.2/htdocs/data/dbblue_connection.class.php on line 178

Fatal error: could not initialize DB connection to load config data, category = main in /home/bsdrelease/framework/2.14.2/htdocs/config/blue_config.inc.php on line 331

AND

A SITE PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED
    WARNING: Unable to connect to database
    Problem ID: yaxf-4c9-vsrv
    A SITE PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED
    ERROR: could not initialize DB connection to load config data, category = security
    Problem ID: ypyfx-4c9-yqwj

• 285. Kate  |  August 29, 2010 at 12:09 am

Hmmmm…… I wonder if they've been swamped with folks logging in to sign?

• 286. Kate  |  August 29, 2010 at 12:57 am

It still works for me.

• 287. Kate  |  August 29, 2010 at 1:06 am

In addition to Jesus on the Wire (lyrics below), PP&M also added gays and lesbians to their song Don't Laugh At Me, aimed at school-aged kids.

Run-down church, red clay
    River covered in a smoky haze
    Sunday morning, the fires out
    Sunday morning, no one about
    The earth is soft, this time of year
    Boots get caked from there to here
    Down the road, route 25
    Found this boy barely alive

(Chorus) Jesus is on the wire
    So far away, higher and higher

Took him down, off a fence
    Cold as ice, almost dead
    They said that he slept with guys
    They said that he was gonna die

(Chorus) Jesus is on the wire
    So far away, higher and higher

• 288. Kathleen  |  August 29, 2010 at 1:08 am

It's working again.

• 289. Kate  |  August 29, 2010 at 1:18 am

I can't resist posting the lyrics so Maggie et al can find them easily for their next rally.

[cue the singing Nazis:]

The sun on the meadow is summery warm
    The stag in the forest runs free
    But gathered together to greet the storm
    Tomorrow belongs to me

The branch on the linden is leafy and green
    The Rhine gives its gold to the sea (Gold to the sea)
    But somewhere a glory awaits unseen
    Tomorrow belongs to me

Now Fatherland, Fatherland, show us the sign
    Your children have waited to see
    The morning will come
    When the world is mine
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me

The babe in his cradle is closing his eyes
    The blossom embraces the bee
    But soon says the whisper, arise, arise
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    <i />

• 290. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 29, 2010 at 8:53 am

Kate, when you mention the Peter Paul and Mary song Don't Laugh at Me would that be the same one Mark Wills did, with the following lyrics:

I'm a little boy with glasses, the one they call the geek;
    A little girl who never smiles, 'cause I've got braces on my teeth;
    And I know how it feels to cry myself to sleep.
    I'm that kid on every playground who's always chosen last;
    A single teenage mother trying to overcome my past;
    You don't have to be my friend–is it too much to ask?

Don't Laugh At Me, don't call me names;
    Don't get your pleasure from my pain;
    In God's eyes, we're all the same;
    One day we'll all have perfect wings.
    Don't Laugh At Me.

I'm the cripple on the corner, you pass me on the street;
    But I wouldn't be out here begging if I had enough to eat;
    And don't think I don't notice that our eyes never meet.
    I lost my wife and little boy when someone crossed that yellow line;
    The day they laid them in the ground is the day I lost my mind;
    And now I'm down to quarters and little cardboard signs.

CHORUS

I'm fat, I'm thin, I'm short, I'm tall;
    I'm deaf, I'm blind–hey aren't we all?

CHORUS

I love that song. So much of that song tells very succinctly what my life has been like.

• 291. Kate  |  August 29, 2010 at 11:41 am

Yes — that's it, Richard, but PP&M tweaked the lyrics to add "us."

• 292. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 29, 2010 at 11:57 am

And I would love to find that set of lyrics and a recording of it.
    See, I was able to identify with it because I was the little boy with glasses, and the last one chosen for the games on the playground, Plus, I do have a rather profound hearing deficit that does not prevent me from hearing, but causes my ears to hear words differently than what is said. When someone is giving me telephone numbers or names over the phone, I always have to give phonetic references to make sure I have heard them correctly.

• 293. Chrys  |  August 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm

We sang it at the Harrisburg counter-protest – all the verses. :)

• 294. misscee  |  August 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Great news. Words can't describe the gratitude that I feel to you and Peter, Paul and Mary (may she rest in peace.)

• 295. fiona64  |  August 30, 2010 at 2:19 am

Richard, you can find "Don't Laugh At Me" on this CD: http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Peter-Paul-Mary/d

• 296. Will you thank Peter, Pau&hellip  |  August 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

[...] Land” in a video posted to the NOM Tour Tracker from NOM’s rally in Albany, NY. As Kathleen recounted on Friday in her front-page post (which includes video of the song being played at a NOM rally): When I first heard this recording [...]

• 297. Kathleen  |  September 2, 2010 at 8:37 am

Cool. Let's see if they pick it up. I know the letter is still getting reported on new blogs every day.

• 298. “Moral rights”&hellip  |  September 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm

[...] 9, 2010 (Remember when Peter, Paul & Mary sent NOM a cease-and-desist letter a few weeks ago, after P8TT participant Kathleen Perrin notified them that NOM was playing [...]

• 299. “Moral rights”&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 7:13 am

[...] when Peter, Paul & Mary sent NOM a cease-and-desist letter a few weeks ago, after P8TT participant Kathleen Perrin notified them that NOM was playing “This [...]

• 300. Will you thank Peter, Pau&hellip  |  September 28, 2010 at 7:23 am

[...] Land” in a video posted to the NOM Tour Tracker from NOM’s rally in Albany, NY. As Kathleen recounted on Friday in her front-page post (which includes video of the song being played at a NOM [...]

• 301. Olivia  |  September 30, 2010 at 5:45 am

This Brian Brown person completely missed the point of the song! How thick can you get? Furthermore, it was no secret that Woody Guthrie HATED Republicans. I seriously doubt that Peter and Paul feel that strongly about it, but good for them for telling him off!

• 302. John Mellencamp: No ̶&hellip  |  October 4, 2010 at 11:15 am

[...] 4, 2010 Kathleen is the Trial Tracker who made the Peter, Paul and Mary action possible. [...]

• 303. John Mellencamp: No “Pi&hellip  |  October 4, 2010 at 1:35 pm

[...] sure you remember the cease and desist letter sent to NOM President Brian Brown in response to the organization’s use of the Peter, Paul & [...]

• 304. NOM’s Unauthorized &hellip  |  October 5, 2010 at 10:22 am

[...] sure you remember the dog-days of summer, when NOM played a Peter, Paul & Mary recording of Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land” duri…. Peter Yarrow, one of the two surviving members of the group, “Peter, Paul, and Mary,” [...]

• 305. owl  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:26 am

If Yarrow does not have a copyright to the song then he cannot ask the song to be played. Iit may be their signature song but by now i think it is public domain.

• 306. Kathleen  |  October 29, 2010 at 5:35 am

owl, the song itself, written by Woody Guthrie, is in the public domain. However, the recording of the song by PP&M is not. In the letter, Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey ask that their recording of the song not be used.

• 307. Joe  |  December 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Peter, Paul & Mary had a concert at Ocean Grove, NJ we attended. She came out on stage and told the story how she had received a bone marrow transplant and after a year contacted the donor to thank them. During the conversation she joked with the lady that she hoped it wasn't a Republican who was the donor. She said the phone went quiet. It seems the donor was one of those evil Republicans. She then joked with the audience how she had to fight her arm from giving the Nazi salute every now and then. The audience all thought that was a scream. Sometime God has the last laugh. Sadly though Mary is gone.

• 308. Kathleen  |  December 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Great story, Joe. Yes, sadly, Mary is no longer with us.

• 309. There’s (no) app fo&hellip  |  December 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm

[...] online capacity to drive supporters to bus tour events, failure to understand copyright law and contact Peter, Paul and Mary before using their music on their tour, creating bad mashup videos of their tour, and, as of this post, that their “Click here to [...]

• 310. Prop 8 Trial: Did NOM Pus&hellip  |  September 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

[...] met with at least one cease and desist letter. Instances of questionable copyright adherence: here, here, here, and [...]

• 311. Genf20 hgh message board  |  April 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm

gkoonfrvbmjuzpousjbm, Genf20 hgh pills, CFqsjTC, [url=http://iprayonline.com/]Genf20 uk[/url], ksqXQBw, http://iprayonline.com/ genf20, POtnmwM.

• 312. bluehost promo  |  July 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm