My last day with Prop 8 Trial Tracker

Community/Meta

by Adam Bink

I announced on Friday that this would be my last week, and today is actually my last day as the managing editor here at Prop 8 Trial Tracker. I have to depart to focus on various projects at DailyKos and OpenLeft. Of course, I’ll be keeping an eye on this space and commenting from time to time, and may cross-post occasionally, but won’t be writing on the front page regularly.

Going forward, you’ll be able to find all my regular writing on my OpenLeft page (should you care to read or bookmark, a link to my posts is here), and eventually, at DailyKos as well.

One quick thought before I go. In today’s wonderful Prop 8 Q&A discussion with NCLR’s Shannon Minter and Chris Stoll, Richard A. Walter (soon be Walter-Jernigan) kindly wrote to me:

And truly hope you stop by, as time permits, to let us know how you’re doing. You’re part of the P8TT family, and it’s too late to back out of that part now.

Being part of the P8TT family has actually really meant something. I say that because many of the audiences for which I’ve written have been interested in general progressive politics, and while I covered the LGBT equality beat to often a great deal of support from the community, which heavily supported efforts to protect marriage equality in Maine and repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, I haven’t written for such an enthusiastic LGBT and straight ally audience before. From the “‘subscribin’!” comments that fill up the first half-dozen comment slots on each post to the reams of links that pour in to the (Hi, Louis!) and other great jokes to the intense discussion on our movement’s strategy, it really gives one a renewed sense of fighting spirit.

While writing for NOMTourTracker.com and Prop8TrialTracker.com has been hard work, I will have to recommend to my fellow bloggers that if anyone wants to take a vacation from their regular blog without ceasing their writing, they should come here- they’ll leave with a smile on their face!

The other thing I would say is that I think we are making a real difference for equality. We exposed- and are continuing to expose- the true face of NOM to the national spotlight. We are creating the climate and momentum to help win a pro-equality decision at the 9th Circuit, other courts and (possibly) the Supreme Court. We are slowly changing the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans. I believe when we look back in history, it will feel very special to be a part of this movement.

So keep writing, donating, taking action, as we continue our long march. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” I believe, at long last, we are finally seeing that arc come around.

Onward.

UPDATE BY EDEN: Hey everyone — please use this thread to give Adam your best wishes and let him know how you feel about what a great job he did managing this fantastic community over the last month. And stay tuned tomorrow as I pick up the reins again as the primary site manager (on an interim basis, as we rejigger our Prop 8 Trial Tracker strategy and schedule going forward). Thanks!

59 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

Good luck to you, Adam, and to OpenLeft.com!

• 2. Kathleen  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

Adam, thank you so much for everything you've done here. I'll miss you.

• 3. Ann S.  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

Adam, thank you for everything. We'll miss you.

• 4. PamC  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

Wishing you all good things, Adam! Thank you so much for your educated & inspiring blogging.

• 5. Ray in MA  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:24 am

Thank You Adam!

I sleep better at night knowing there are compassionate people like you in this world.

• 6. fiona64  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Dear Adam:

Thank you so much for your wonderful contributions and enthusiasm here at P8TT.

See you some time down the line!

Love,
    Fiona

• 7. JonT  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:40 am

'Being part of the P8TT family has actually really meant something.'

I've felt the same way ever since I stumbled onto this blog last January.

I've enjoyed reading your posts Adam, and I really hope to see more of you in the future — whether here, OpenLeft, or on Kos :)

Thanks for being here.

• 8. StraightForEquality  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:41 am

Adam, thanks for your work at P8TT. I have enjoyed following along. I'll be keeping my eye on you at OpenLeft and sometimes at DailyKos. May the future hold great things for you!

• 9. Dpeck  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

Dear Adam,

You have made a huge difference here, as I'm sure you will continue to do wherever you go. Thanks so much for your hard work and dedication. As another way of saying 'Thank you", I'm making another donation to this site.

• 10. Alan E.  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

TTFN! Ta Ta For Now!

• 11. Kathleen  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

UPDATE: Proponents' (D-Is') Opposition to motions (Docs 729 & 742) to extend time to file for costs and fees

• 12. Sagesse  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

The time's been all too short, but you've made a big difference here at P8TT. Don't be a stranger.

• 13. Sean  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

Adam, you're one of my favorite writers and commenters on this site and I know you shall be missed. Good luck moving forward!!

- Sean

• 14. Jim  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

Thank you for all your smart, crisply written posts, Adam. I appreciate all your intelligence on the bigots' ignorance.

• 15. Judy  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

Thank you, Adam, and all the P8TT family. I've been with you for every word of every post since Day 1 of the trial, and every day since. I'm sure I speak for many of us out here who don't usually post when I say this site and work like yours has helped us get through this ordeal, and provided us with accurate and healthy ammunition as we encounter the opposition that is out there. Just today my Letter to the Editor of the Sacramento Bee was published, helped in part by the words of wisdom I've gained from this site and our legal leadership. Thank you, Adam, and thank you, team.

• 16. IT  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

This site has become a must-read for anyone interested in equality. Thanks for keeping it a lively, refreshing, and upbeat (though realistci) community!

• 17. Judy  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

FYI, here's my Letter to the Editor that was published today:
    No case made for Prop. 8

The Bee is misleading people into thinking a county's standing is crucial to an appeal of Proposition 8. Why hasn't The Bee shown its readers what actually is crucial: the record of the trial?
    I followed every word and piece of evidence for over two weeks, and what is crucial to the appeal is the fact that the Proposition 8 backers have no case.

Why hasn't it been explained to your readers that Proposition 8 is not backed by anything that withstood cross-examination and legal scrutiny?

Judge Vaughn Walker didn't have to invent his ruling from bias, he simply pointed out the bigotry and prejudice that have no place in a legal system. The Proposition 8 side had nothing relevant to present.

Regarding Imperial County, they cannot show harm other than general disapproval, so they rightly do not belong in court. My marriage will not harm you, folks.

– Judy Saint, Roseville

• 18. Kate  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

Ugh — reading "their" stuff is definitely not fun; I much prefer "our" legal arguments. But I read it anyway. I just can't tell if there is anything scary to us here or not…….

• 19. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:37 am

Adam, I truly hope you do well in the near future and the far future. Thanks again for being part of this site, and looking forward to more from you.

• 20. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

Note to self: click subscribe button first, then submit.

• 21. Tony Douglass in Ca  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Thank again Adam, like I said before, you have set the gold standard for a blogger and a contributor. We will miss your style and your whit!! <3

• 22. Straight Grandmother  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:44 am

Adam, at first I didn't know what to make of you. I was used to Eden. BUT I gave you a shot and YOU came through. You raised us up, and we can't ask anything more than that. I can't think of anything you wrote that I didn't agree with.

I know one thing, you will never forget Straight Granmother and how I long to be legally connected to my grandchildren and how UNFAIR this is. It is not just about GLBT couples, it is also about the extended families around those couples who surround and supprt them. I am a Stranger in Law to my own grandchildren and it breaks my heart. Don't ever forget the children Adam always always advote for them, they are so innocent and pure.

Don't forget the Special Needs couples so many of them posting on P8TT, those who are seperated from the one they love because their loved one is a Foreign National. Hetrosexuals can sponsor their fiancees, not so with our community, they carry an extra heavy burden of Discrimination.

Finally one last request could you please, kindly, use the word Discrimination more??? Yes I know Equality is quicker to type, but can you make the effort to use the word Discrimination? Judge Vaughn Walker used the word Discrimination 59 times in a 138 page verdict. It is a powerful word that, especially for the older generation, has a connotation and meaning that Equality just doesn't have. It also has a meaning in law.

Looking forward to having you join in over here from time to time, let us know how are doing, don't be a stranger, as RAW says you are family now. We really went through something special together this summer of 2010, I'll not forget you.

• 23. Ann S.  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:46 am

Excellent letter, Judy! Good for you for sending it in and getting it published!

• 24. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:51 am

Straight Grandmother, when you were writing earlier about going shopping for your grandchildren, I knew exactly what you were feeling. You see, even though we are in the same state with most of our grandchildren, even after BZ and I come back home with our marriage certificate and ketubah, I will not be recognized as one of their grandfathers. And you can ask BZ what I am like when I see something I think any of the children would like. I will hold off on something I want to make sure I can get something for one of the grandchildren. But if anything were to happen to BZ, anybody who wants to can order me to stay away from them and there is nothing I can do. This is not fair to us, and it is not fair to you! Thank you for being one of our allies, and for being yet another of the loving parents and grandparents who contribute here.

• 25. Richard A. Walter (s  |  August 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

Judy, I agree with Ann S. STANDING O!

• 26. Bolt  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:00 am

Bye Adam, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

• 27. JonT  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:05 am

I second that Standing O.

Motion is carried.

• 28. carpoolcookie  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

Joining everyone in sincerely thanking you, and wishing you the best : )

You've made a substantial contribution and touched people's lives at an important time in history….not everyone can say that!

See you sooner rather than later!

• 29. AndrewPDX  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into eliminating discrimination and making Equality a reality!

Don't be a stranger, you here?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
    Andrew

• 30. adambink  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

Thanks everyone, so very much, for all the best wishes. They mean a lot.

• 31. MJFargo  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Adam Bink, thank you for providing the humor, camaraderie, the chance to learn and find solidarity on this site. This has been an unbelievably rewarding time, and I'm so grateful to you and this site for being there for both friend and foe. It's been an honor. Best wishes to you in the future, but you'll have a great legacy for your participation in this moment in GLB&T history. .

• 32. Sheryl Carver  |  August 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Adam, for going above & beyond.

I'm glad that your work here was rewarding for you, too. It surely was for all of us. It's good when one can light a single candle to dispel the darkness of ignorance; you lit a bonfire!

• 33. Mark M  |  August 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm

AWESOME JUDY!!!!!

• 34. Mark M  |  August 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Don't you dare be a stranger Adam!
    You are indeed part of our family.
    Please keep in touch…you know how we worry :-)
    Love ya!
    Mark

• 35. Anonygrl  |  August 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Adam, we expect to see you pop in and say hello from time to time, or we will all come and haunt you!

Thanks for all your wonderful work, and you know you always have a home here!

Love and kisses from all of us!!!

• 36. MaiaD  |  August 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Godspeed and thanks Adam. You've been priceless.

• 37. SFBay  |  August 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I don't comment much, but I read every word here on P8TT.
    Adam, good luck in your future endevors. I read you regularly on Open Left. Keep up the good work.

• 38. Bob  |  August 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

the writing was much enijoyed, and inspiring, but I will miss you most because I saw your picture, and it was hot, and the writing showed your intelliegence, that combination, does something for me, had to go all the way, cause it's a total package, keep smilin. you'd be reall easy to listen to live on t.v. news. or something

• 39. Sheryl, Mormon Mothe  |  August 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Know I'm coming to the party late, but did want to say thank you Adam for all of your insightful postings. Wishing you the best and look forward to your dropping by.

Sheryl, Mormon Mother

• 40. BK  |  August 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Noooooooooooooo… :'( You posted 6 out of the 10 postings currently on P8TT's homepage… What'll happen without you? We'll miss you. :( Thanks a ton for all your hard work. I'll be looking forward to your cross-posts!

• 41. mattymatt  |  August 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Bon voyage Adam! Thanks for all your hard work. DailyKos and OpenLeft are lucky to have you.

• 42. Michael  |  August 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thank you, Adam, for all your hard work and all you have done and will do to advance equality. Blessings and best wishes for success in all your endeavors. Don't be a stranger!

• 43. Brad Larsen  |  August 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Thank you Adam!

• 44. Bolt  |  August 24, 2010 at 12:01 am

Good morning, does anyone believe that if we get a new republican bigot AG, Olson will allow him to screw this case up, like Shannon seems claims will happen?

• 45. BK  |  August 24, 2010 at 12:41 am

Awesome. :) We need more things like this to happen.

• 46. Breaking the Silence  |  August 24, 2010 at 12:46 am

Best wishes, Adam. And thank you!

• 47. Jen-Bunny  |  August 24, 2010 at 2:10 am

Good job Judy!! I'll look for it in the Bee!! I live in Placerville, so we aren't that far from each other! yay!

• 48. Jen-Bunny  |  August 24, 2010 at 2:13 am

I'll miss your smart, excellent writing, Adam. You are a vital source for many who are stuck at work unable to keep informed of the day's events. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

• 49. Mark Lawrence ( Salt  |  August 24, 2010 at 2:38 am

Adam your work and effort is more appreciated than you will ever know and it has not gone un-noticed. Thank you for being here for us.

• 50. Bolt  |  August 24, 2010 at 3:16 am

Hot pics? Do share!

• 51. Anonygrl  |  August 24, 2010 at 4:08 am

I think Shannon suggested it COULD happen, not that it necessarily will. But I think Olson is prepared for that possibility, certainly.

• 52. Alan E.  |  August 24, 2010 at 4:29 am

I will crosspost my idea from the Q&A comments:

Here is the transcript from Olsen’s rebuttal. (Page 3101, line 16 – 3102, line 8)

Now, it is important to say another word or two about procreation and whether it’s a state’s interest. I mentioned this before, but I want to emphasize it.

If it’s the state’s interest in procreation that animates the right to marriage, what if the state changes its mind?

There have been cultures throughout the world that have decided, “We’ve had too much procreation. We have too much population growth.”

What if the State of California decided ten years from now, “We don’t want so many people in California?” Would they be able then — I don’t think anyone here would agree that the state could then cut off the right to marry. Because it is an individual right of privacy, liberty, association. And that’s what it is.

So the state can’t put the switch on and the switch off, because it’s not the state’s right. It’s the individual’s right.

If Whitman and Cooley were to win, this would be the opposite of what Olsen is saying could happen, but it still applies. It has always been an individual right for procreation, and it has never been a state interest. The state’s interest has been in the children, not the creation of them. Much of the evidence has shown that same-sex couples are similarly situated when it comes to the rearing of children, the state could still come in and say “yes we have an interest in the rearing and well-being of the child.” That has been documented and does not hurt our case. Plus, this interest is not as subject to change like procreation.

A changing of the guard would actually support this claim and would (in my mind and IANAL) not weaken the case as much as is being purported. I think Olsen and Boies covered this very well in the trial testimony and evidence. The state would have to come up with a unique interest that was not covered by any of our evidence.

• 53. Bolt  |  August 24, 2010 at 6:04 am

Do you think that new state interest purported by the new AG would be subject to cross examination?

• 54. Alan E.  |  August 24, 2010 at 6:06 am

No because there is no testimony or evidence that can be added. It is open to interpretation, though.

• 55. Liza Simmons  |  August 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Best wishes Adam!

To all of you like-minded friends out there, here is a fun site where people make friends and share thoughts.

• 56. Adam Bink » Blog Ar&hellip  |  September 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm

[...] Center for Lesbian Rights. I also wrote a reflection piece on my time there, which can be found here. Going forward, I’ll continue to blog at [...]

• 57. buy ammo online  |  April 16, 2014 at 12:57 am

Hello there, I discovered your website via Google whilst searching
    for a comparable matter, your website got here up, it appears
    to be like great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply was alert to your blpog via Google, and located that it’s truly informative.
    I’m going to bee careful forr brussels. I will be grateful
    should you continue thiss in future. Many other folks might be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

My website: buy ammo online

• 58. .223 ammo for sale  |  April 22, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This iis an extremely well written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark iit and return to read more of
    your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly
    return.

Review my web page .223 ammo for sale

• 59. .22lr ammo for sale  |  April 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

Aw, this was a very nice post. Finding the time and actual effort tto generate a superb article_ bbut what can
    I say_ I procrastinate a lot and never seemm to get anything
    done.