Happening now: NOM Tour lands in New Jersey, Garden State Equality responds

NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

By Eden James

Get ready for a big day in New Jersey.

Right now, our team is on the ground in Trenton for the next tour stop on NOM’s “Summer for Marriage: One Man, One Woman” tour. Garden State Equality has organized a town hall right now “featuring same-sex couples and their children talking about the effect being denied marriage equality has on them.”

Their press release is below, including a new video they launched today timed to coincide with the town hall meeting and NOM’s tour stop. Check it out below.

We’ll be updating this Garden State Equality town-hall meeting thread as events develop and then starting a NOM tour event thread as soon as possible thereafter, including pictures, etc.

Anti-marriage

Keep refreshing this page as we bring you more, including video interviews. More to come…

Tags: ,

37 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 20, 2010 at 2:28 am

They looked at the evidence of the failure of civil unions in New Jersey months ago, and they voted against marriage anyway.  I remember listening to the hearings and crying at everything.  It was undeniably powerful.  And they still voted against.  How?  Why?  How can it even be?  I just don't understand how people can be like that.

• 2. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 2:30 am

Subbing the scribes.

• 3. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 2:52 am

OT, but important nonetheless. In a 13-6 vote, with Sen. Lindsay Graham of SC voting in favor, the Senate Judiciary Committee sent Elena Kagan's confirmation to the full senate.

• 4. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 20, 2010 at 2:54 am

"More to come on the NOM rally, including how Brian Brown responded when one reporter asked him about the stock images used on his bus and why those “pesky” Rhode Island activists are still on his mind. "

Great teaser…now I will have to come back later to find the answer!!!

• 5. Sagesse  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:03 am

Subscribing

• 6. Elsie  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:21 am

Now that's what I'm talking about! It's all good. Go GSE!

• 7. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:32 am

OT

Mississippi School Agrees To Revise Policy And Pay Damages To Lesbian Teenager Denied Chance To Attend Prom

• 8. the lone ranger  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:34 am

Off topic here, but this article (and accompanying photo) should give everyone a good laugh… Phelps has moved from from hateful and crazy to, well, still hateful and even more crazy:

• 9. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 20, 2010 at 3:56 am

Another OT

Online extra: Wedding Bell Blues: New poll shows soft support for same-sex marriage

"New Field Poll results released today show that by a 51 percent to 42 percent margin, California voters support allowing same-sex couples to marry."

• 10. fiona64  |  July 20, 2010 at 4:13 am

The homophobes on the Sacramento Bee are foaming at the mouth already — including one guy who's on his fourth marriage.

Love,
    Fiona

• 11. nightshayde  |  July 20, 2010 at 4:16 am

I love the fact that more equality supporters than nomos showed up — but wouldn't it have been more effective (at least in terms of media coverage) to have the pro-equality folks right next to the NOM rally?

I think it's a pretty powerful image to see more good guys than bad guys at any given gathering.

• 12. fiona64  |  July 20, 2010 at 4:26 am

I understand your point.

OTOH, it does take the steam out of their message about the "hateful gays" if there's no one at whom they may point. They sit around glad-handing their 20 followers, and that's as far as it goes. It seems as though the media attention was in the room with the good guys.

My former boss Ken always said that there were some people who weren't worth the effort it would take to ignore them. I think that GSE may have been aiming for that effect where the gNomobile is concerned.

Love,
    Fiona

• 13. nightshayde  |  July 20, 2010 at 4:52 am

Well, OK — if it's actual MSM coverage & not "just" photographers submitting photos to a blog (not that blogs aren't credible media — just that blogs tend to be only read by those who already agree with the opinions of the blogger).

• 14. nightshayde  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:00 am

Pretty much OT, but I know people here will understand…

My pro-equality cubicle-mate was telling someone here at work about how proud she is of her equality-minded son & how she knows he'll grow up to be a feminist. The guy she was talking to told her that her son can't be a feminist.

Why? Because he's male. Males can't be feminists.

Grrr. This guy is soooo sexist, heterosexist (though we KNOW he's deeply in denial about his own sexuality & that he's so far in the closet that he'll likely never see the light of day). I lost all respect for him back in the days before the election & he was spouting all his deep-seated Catholic dogma.

I can't stand him & I can't stand being around him — but I can't really confront him since we're in the workplace. I do my best to just avoid him, knowing that if anything even vaguely civil-rights-related comes up I'll jump down his throat.

How do those of you who are GLBT deal with people like this on a daily basis without losing your minds? Being around him makes me feel dirty and uncomfortable — because I know how he feels about a number of my friends and some of my family. I can't imagine how much more uncomfortable he would make me if I was being insulted more directly.

• 15. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:04 am

Wait a minute! A man cannot be a feminist? I bet that is news to Alan Alda, who has long been a champion of women's rights!
    And I guess the only reason he would agree that I can be a feminist is because I am gay, right? I mean, it wouldn't have a blessed thing to do with having seen how women have been mistreated while I was growing up, and knowing that it wasn't right. I really have to wonder if the two brain cells he does have are divorced and that is why they aren't communicating with each other.

• 16. nightshayde  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:29 am

I think they got an annulment (not sure he actually believes in divorce).

He completely buys into gender-based stereotypes & doesn't quite understand why we get fluffy at him for expressing his archaic views. He's been in a few (straight) relationships, but nobody has agreed to marry him yet. Supposedly one reason is that he won't agree to have sexual relations before marriage (and has said he won't marry a woman who's not a virgin).

I think he maintains this charade so he won't have to admit that he's gay. Maybe once marriage equality has been achieved, he'll be able to marry the man of his dreams & finally release some of his … erm … pent-up stress.

• 17. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:31 am

Of course, this is assuming that any man would have him once he found out that this guy was against full civil rights for LGBTQQI's.

• 18. fiona64  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:52 am

Nightshayde wrote: This guy is soooo sexist, heterosexist (though we KNOW he’s deeply in denial about his own sexuality & that he’s so far in the closet that he’ll likely never see the light of day).

I don't remember if it was here or elsewhere that someone referred to a guy as "so far in the closet that he can see Narnia." :-)

• 19. fiona64  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:53 am

A very much heterosexual and masculine ex of mine would be surprised to learn that his genitalia prevent him from being a feminist — a status that he proudly proclaims for himself, and lives daily.

Love,
    Fiona

• 20. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:57 am

That sounds like Felyx, so it was on P8TT, I just cannot remember which of the threads it is on. I will look later.

• 21. NJSteve  |  July 20, 2010 at 6:57 am

@nightshade — the mainstream media were there in force — all the local NYC and Philly media were present. GSE knows how to attract the media, and the contrast between the NOM event and the GSE event was something no reporter could miss.

• 22. Ronnie  |  July 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

Hey everybody….I was there in Trenton today with my Mother….& Yes NOM FAILED…& WE Overwhelmed them again…but this time is was 100% peaceful there is noting they can say…& whatever they say is a lie…I'm just saying….<3…Ronnie

• 23. PamC  |  July 20, 2010 at 8:37 am

Oh, I just love this! Send your protestors to Comic-Con, please–where hundreds of talented artists and creative writers will draw awe-inspiring, laughter-inducing counter-protest signs that will expose your puny ideology for the self-satire it truly is.

I can't wait.

• 24. PamC  |  July 20, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thanks for reminding of that quote, Fiona!! I love re-laughing at such a classic. Got to add that to my (dwindling) repertoire…

• 25. JonT  |  July 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Set 3 degrees down-bubble.

(SUBscribing)

• 26. NOM turnout FAIL in New J&hellip  |  July 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

[...] look what Garden State Equality did at the same time today, turning out 158 supporters (Arisha’s hand-co… to a town hall in Trenton [...]

• 27. Box Turtle Bulletin &raqu&hellip  |  July 20, 2010 at 11:56 am

[...] protesters did not directly confront NOM’s Big Bus of Animus tour. (Courage Campaign) Under direction from Garden State Equality, marriage supporters walked past the NOM rally into an [...]

• 28. Richard A. Walter (s  |  July 20, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations, JonT! You got me laughing on that one!

• 29. JonT  |  July 20, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Richard!

I want to subscribe to all of these threads, but get a little bored with just a 'subscribing' message, so I'll try to mix it up a little. Random languages, or something that pop's into my head.

Hopefully someone will laugh once and a while :)

• 30. Madison’s Testimony&hellip  |  July 21, 2010 at 6:07 am

[...] Tuesday, Garden State Equality responded by organizing an overflowing town hall in Trenton, New Jersey, that attracted 158 people, according to Courage staffer Arisha Michelle [...]

• 31. PhillyKarl  |  July 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

Hey folks! You know how many people showed up today at NOM's One Man- One Woman tour?

One man and one woman.

• 32. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

Funny, PhillyKarl! Really funny!

• 33. The value of non-marriage&hellip  |  August 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

[...] We see this in New Jersey, where among other travesties, members of same-sex couples are denied visitation rights or won’t be given critical medical information about each other in hospitals because hospital staff ignore their civil union certificate. Garden State Equality produced a great video on this (actually, on the occasion of NOM’s visit to the state): [...]

• 34. Golden Oldie: MadisonR&hellip  |  December 28, 2010 at 8:01 am

• 35. car upholstery repair&hellip  |  May 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Car Repair…

[...]just below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, however, they are definitely worth checking out[...]…

• 36. Haydar  |  November 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm

WHOOHOO!!!! I have been waiting for this for so long!! I am theirlld that you have the film, but alas while I will see it probably about 10 times at your theater Opening night is for IMAX!!! You will see me the next day over and over and over LOL!! I am so happy about Harry and that YOU ARE THE BEST cinema around !!

• 37. http://twitter.com/optimizepress2  |  March 3, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I’m gone to convey my little brother, that he should also visit this blog on regular basis to obtain updated
    from most recent news.