Nobody can count except Brian Brown and NOM

NOM Tour Tracker Right-wing

(As our Courage Campaign Equality staffers on the ground in Providence, Rhode Island, work on uploading info from today’s NOM rally and counter-protest, Jeremy Hooper at Good As You exposes the duplicity of Brian Brown’s spin on NOM’s less-than-expected attendance in Maine, New Hampshire and New York.

Our staffers have been hand-counting the attendance at each event on both sides, including today’s event in Providence in which staffer Arisha Hatch counted 98 NOM supporters and 142 equality counter-protesters. That said, you can expect more to come from the NOM Tour Tracker as this story unfolds. — Eden)

By Jeremy Hooper

To us, the figure looked somewhere in the 50-100 range in Maine, which is where a local CBS affiliate put it. The AP put the tally at 100. Someone on the ground told this writer that it was more like seventy, with some from our side mixed in. So even though the pics looked slighter than that, 100ish peeps could be in the ballpark. Possibly.

But why should Brian Brown care what even the mainstream news sources say? He’s now seriously claiming that his NOM marriage tour saw 200 people at their Augusta, ME, stop, blaming those big, bad bloggers for messing with his reality:

While we’ve been on the road, one of our staff told me I had to check out some of the gay marriage bloggers covering our tour. Some of them want so badly for our tour to fail . . . I think some of them have left the world of reality-based blogging.

One blogger claimed we had just 20 people turn out in Maine. You can look at the pictures for yourself and tell me there were only 20 people in Augusta on Wednesday! And even the pictures don’t do justice to the crowd of nearly 200.

As for their Manchester, NH, stop a day later? Well, we again counted about 50-100 for their side, and another 40-50 for our side. The Nashua Telegraph again put the tally at “about 100 opponents.” But not so, Brian. He says his side alone had:

roughly 150-200 in Manchester on Thursday

Uh huh.

Oh, but then comes what both Brian and I consider to the “favorite so far.” This quip, in which he claims there were “around 100″ NOM supporters in Albany yesterday, and that the bloggers who took the photos of the rainbow umbrella protesters were actually shooting before the event had started:

My favorite so far, though, is the blog this morning “reporting” that our Albany rally was poorly attended . . . and the rally hadn’t even started yet!

They so badly want us to fail that they’re even willing to say the rally failed before it even happens.

Only thing? We TOTALLY see Jennifer Roback Morse speaking in this pic, with nowhere near 100 people listening:

4802085691 E7Db646D11-1-2

Or here’s another from during Rev. Jason McGuire’s speech. Brian is there attentively listening, indicating that things are well in swing. But the crowd is still unimpressive:

4803241456 E1004C9D71

[SOURCE]

Here’s the most generous pic we’ve seen yet, once again from Roback Morse’s speech:

4803240702 8Ba3842025

[SOURCE]

Still not 100, even if you count the colorful protestors from our side. And all of these pics were taken during the rally, not before it, like Brian claims. If there truly were100 NOM supporters there, then they were even more transparent then Brian’s uber-fallacious, messenger-attacking attempts to get ahead of the terrible press that’s following this NOM tour!

Oh, and as we’ve said before: With the loads of press and tons out online outreach effort that has accompanied this tour, NOM should be PACKING ‘EM IN! Honestly, we were expecting them to. But the simple truth is that they are not. At all.

*SOURCE for all of Brian’s claims

Tags: ,

• 1. truthspew  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:17 am

I went to the Providence event. Only saw 3 on our side there. About 80 to 85 from the Bigot Cavalcade. Go check out my blog. I have pix.

• 2. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:20 am

News blog put it at 150 Marriage Equality opponents and 175 for us.

What time were you there?

• 3. Ronnie  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:22 am

As the video said during the trial…"I love living in the future"…they just can't win…so they keep on lying (SIN) & getting busted for it……..<3…Ronnie

• 4. Kathleen  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:25 am

Ray was there and reported in the other thread 100+ our side.

• 5. Ķĭŗîļĺę&  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:27 am

Subscribing (darn this internet that keeps breaking up on me!)

• 6. Elsie  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:27 am

It's that fundie math they use. By thier calculations, the earth is only 6500 years old.

• 7. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:28 am

Heavens I broke out in laughter! Good point Elsie.

• 8. Elsie  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:51 am

Oh, and by their count women have one less rib than men too.

• 9. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:52 am

NOM has started posting their pics of the event. http://www.flickr.com/photos/50933783@N07/

Also, I have found the one pic NOM is going to use over and over today/tonight. http://ow.ly/i/2H4H

Pastor Bonner makes 'his' comment of this photo about us accusing NOM of being intolerant and hateful.

I ask Pastor Bonner, "How would you feel if the Government, religious groups and others have always said the only TRUE marriage in the US is that of one that consists of either 'One man + One man' or 'One woman + One woman'?"

Wouldn't you want to get in the face of the people who decided you will never be able to marry the one you love? That you might be told you cannot see that person during their final breath on this earth? That everything you both shared together for 35 years can be taken away from you from an alienated family member of your beloved? Of course you would. Perhaps you cannot even understand because it isn't happening to you.

• 10. Ғĕłỹҳ  |  July 18, 2010 at 7:55 am

OT

Rainbow connect would be an awesome song as well to sing as 'protest'.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
    And what's on the other side?
    Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
    And rainbows have nothing to hide.
    So we've been told and some choose to believe it
    I know they're wrong, wait and see.
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
    The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Felyx

• 11. Sheryl Carver  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:16 am

After reading/hearing what passes for logic among the Religious Right, and seeing the poorly spelled / grammatically incorrect posters the NOM supporters carry, I've decided there must be an 11th Commandment that they adhere to:

"Thou shalt not become educated."

The more fundamentalist members obviously believe that even applies to reading & writing.

After giving it some thought, this makes sense. God drove out Adam & Eve after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge, so obviously acquiring knowledge leads to banishment.

Further thought on this brings to light how cult-like God's behavior was. Don't cult leaders prohibit their members from even listening to anything that's "unapproved" & banish those who disobey? I think this explains a lot – God did it, so it must be OK if I/my religious leaders do it. In fact, I/we MUST do it!

• 12. JP  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:29 am

Tony,
    You must have left well before the protesters arrived. They were on the other side of the State House rallying then marched down. I think you um may have missed the rally and left early. The rally was intense and a lot of people showed up. Projo is stating 175 same sex marriage supporters showed up and other sites are saying that 148 showed up. So your 3 count is way off.

• 13. Ғĕłỹҳ  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:35 am

OT

Read an awful article about the Christian perspective on gay animals.

Evidently, even if we do discover gay genes they are still a result of sin and are not to be tolerated!

"Efforts to claim a genetic basis for homosexuality are rooted in the assumption that our genes tell us what God’s intention for us is. In a fallen world, that is a faulty assumption. Only the Word of God can tell us what God’s intention is. We cannot derive our sexual morality from a laboratory – much less from observations of an albatross colony."

What a crock!

Some days it gets so deep that you just want to puke.

Felyx

• 14. Jessie  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:36 am

Tony instead of driving by you should of actually went to the protest. MORON!!!! Take your blog down because you are completely inaccurate!!!

• 15. Straight Grandmother  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:37 am

LLB, Many thanks for psoting this, now I can go to bed. I have been wiating all day on pins and needles to see if for the first time, officially, we outnumbered them and we did! Also I like the news article, this is MY kind of protest. We didn't let NOM get their message through and it did not hurt us AT ALL in the press. What it did was make us look strong in the press. The pic with the protester holding the rainbow flag over the praying preachers is great. It shows that we are not giving an inch in the battle, and it is a culture war, and we will be right there in your face holding up our flag. You can pray all you want, we will be right there in your face. I really don't give a r*ts *ss what NOM writes in thier blogs only thier diehard supporters read that anyway. It is the Mainstream Media is what is important and we were not written about as radicals based on our tactics.

This is the kind of direct action I approve of and strongly support. KUDOS to Rhode Island, PROPS!!!! And nobody got arrested.

• 16. Straight Grandmother  |  July 18, 2010 at 8:41 am

Jessie, Although I understand your frustration, at least Tony showed up and tried. Okay he went to the wrong spot, but perhaps moron is a bit harsh on someone who at least got out there and made the effort even though it didn't work out.

• 17. Jessie  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

I'm sorry I'm fired up. NOM is spinning it. I read that too quickly and thought he was a NOM guy. I just saw what the person above me wrote, JP, and lost it. I just had someone chanting in tounges, the press coverage was horrid, and I lost it. I am really sorry. We shouldn't fight against those on our own side. My sincerest apologies….I got way too carried away.

• 18. JonT  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:08 am

Subbing too.

• 19. JonT  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

@Elsie:

'It’s that fundie math they use. By thier calculations, the earth is only 6500 years old.'

'Oh, and by their count women have one less rib than men too.'

Stop! LOL! :)

• 20. Kathleen  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

Jessie, you mentioned that the press coverage was horrid… what press coverage have you seen? The only things I've been able to find are the blogs – either NOM or pro-equality sites. Do you know of any main stream media local coverage that's available online. I'm curious to see how they're portraying this.

• 21. Straight Grandmother  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:11 am

LBL, I went and looked at tha pic you linked to http://ow.ly/i/2H4H
    I think it is a good pic! Talk about in your face. And Brian Brown's body langguage shows that he was just as assertive in his position. Kudos to these 2 young people, their courage is awsome. This pic shows that we are not afraid of NOM and we will take you on. We have to be seen as a force to be reckoned with, and this pic does that in spades.

I hope this motivates the New Jersey counter protest, New Jersey is next right?

• 22. Jessie  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:12 am

oh man Kathleen 10, 12, 6 had it covered. 12 was positive the rest was not. They showed 3 ppl screaming at Brian and nothing else. I was on the live news. So check turnto10.com, wpri.com, and projo.com….I'm not sure what channel 6 is.

• 23. Ғĕłỹҳ  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:18 am

Only Christians got banished…the rest of us have Eden on our side! :P

• 24. Kathleen  |  July 18, 2010 at 9:18 am

Thanks Jessie. I'll see if I can find it online.

• 25. jc  |  July 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

over at boxturtlebulletin.com there was a similar article in which this appeared:

Today he continued his pattern of putting the names and pictures of gay people on his blogsite, this time a young activist named Danny. While this is a common tactic for the some of the crazier of the anti-gay loons, I’m not sure what Marinelli is hoping to accomplish. I guess he thinks that this is still 1972 and that gay people are living in the shadows hoping no one finds out that we are gay

perhaps anti-nom attendees should consider taking pictures of locals who do attend the NOM event, then blog about them. i mean, in the interest of fair play and everything! ;) of course NOM's side would say how unfair it was and showed how eeeeeee-vil we are by exposing those who hate the thought of us having equal rights!

• 26. Lesbians Love Boies  |  July 18, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Sometimes we all have our Ah Ha moment…the National Organization for Marriage hasn't gotten theirs yet.

In NOM's recent blog (July 18, 2010) Katherine Kersten from the Minneapolis Star Tribune asks a question we have asked many times…. "How will my same-sex marriage hurt you?"

NOMs answers (in short)

NOM Answer ~ Churches and religious affiliated organizations may be denied tax exemption on grounds that their beliefs are 'contrary to public policy.'

My Rant ~ I am thinking that if churches are getting money by keeping me out of marriage…there is something seriously wrong within churches.

NOM Answer ~ Some faith-based charities may have to stop providing social services.

My Rant ~ I am thinking that if 'faith-based charities can only provide social services 'if they gays don't marry'…then there is something seriously wrong with faith based charities.

NOM Answer ~ Public employees may be disciplined or dismissed if they refuse to approve of homosexual acts.

My Rant ~ Are you freaking kidding me! For crying out loud…they are public employees…not just yours…but mine too. So if public employees who disagree with my lifestyle have a problem…then there is something wrong with the 'employee' not me!

NOM Answer ~ In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Christian Legal Society at the Univ. of Cal, Hastings, College of Law could be denied status as a registered student group because it holds that the only rightful form of sex is between a man and woman within marriage – a view that violates the schools nondiscrimination policy on sexual orientation.

My Rant ~ Good! That's why there is nondiscrimination policies. Seriously NOM get a clue!

NOM Answer ~ Small-business owners could be liable under discrimination laws if they decline to provide goods or services in contexts that violates their beliefs.

My Rant ~ Really not buying into that hype NOM. One person tried to sue because some gay couple was offended by a wedding photographer that didn't want to take their pics. You are really blowing it…and I don't mean nicely.

There is more…unbelievable.

What's even more pathetic is that there are people just gullible enough to 'buy that crap.'

oh…the link ; )

• 27. Kathleen  |  July 18, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Sigh… I'm so tired of the NOMers whining about how if they behave like a bigot someone might call them a bigot. And my favorite is their fear that children will be taught that gay & lesbian relationships are normal…. and I say, "About Time!" It astounds me that they can't see the direct parallel between their actions and the staunch racist and segregationists in the south just a few decades ago.

• 28. NOM Tour Tracker: Today&#&hellip  |  July 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

[...] But what might get lost in the “shouting match” frame is that this yet another NOM FAIL on turning out their supporters. As reported earlier, we counted 98 NOM supporters and 142 equality counter-protesters. Either way, it appears that we outnumbered them AGAIN. It will be interesting to see how Brian Brown spins his latest failure. [...]

• 29. NOM turnout FAIL in New J&hellip  |  July 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

[...] out this NOM picture from their rally in Trenton. Look familiar? Yep, it’s almost a carbon copy of the first four events on NOM’s “Summer for Marriage: One Man, One Woman” tour. By Arisha’s [...]

• 30. BREAKING: NOM Tour Tracke&hellip  |  July 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

[...] now we see why Brian Brown is so freaked out about cameras covering his “#NOMturnoutFAIL: One Man, One Woman” tour of the country. From Augusta, Maine, to Annapolis, Maryland, NOM has consistently bombed at [...]

• 31. Alicia Ortiz, Albany  |  July 23, 2010 at 2:47 am

Local Albany News Channel coverage:

Local Albany New Coverage:

• 32. Yet another #NOMturnoutFA&hellip  |  July 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm

[...] Another day, another #NOMturnoutFAIL. [...]

• 33. NOM embarrassed (yet agai&hellip  |  July 26, 2010 at 10:34 am

[...] I have hand-counted 29 non-NOM staffers attending the rally — about the same number that have attended every other event on this tour. Yet another #NOMturnoutFAIL. [...]

• 34. the Locksmith experts  |  February 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I liked this blog post.
    It was funny. Keep on posting!

Feel free to surf tto my website; the Locksmith experts

• 35. Optimizepress - Find Out The Truth  |  March 3, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Your mode of telling everything in this paragraph is actually pleasant, all
    be capable of effortlessly understand it, Thanks a lot.

• 36. Optimizepress 2.0 reviews  |  March 3, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Hello, constantly i used to check web site posts here in the early hours in the morning,
    as i love to gain knowledge of more and more.

• 37. masticating juicer india  |  May 20, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. Ifound this board aand I in finding It
    truly helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to offer one thing again
    and help others like you aided me.

My web blog; masticating juicer india